Author Topic: Dad Banned From School After Complaints About Daughter’s Islam Homework  (Read 12005 times)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Re: Dad Banned From School After Complaints About Daughter’s Islam Homework
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:41 AM »
I could teach that course now based on what we know

No doubt.  

I suggest bringin in Coach as a guest lecturer.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 07:59:33 AM »
What is it with this anti-Christian, pro-Islam sentiment by so many people?  Very illogical.

Dad Banned From School After Complaints About Daughter’s Islam Homework
The Wood family will be taking their complaints to state legislators and the Maryland Department of Education.
F. PETER BROWN — OCTOBER 29, 2014

A Maryland father and former Marine finds himself under a no-trespass order for asking that his daughter be excused from Islam homework in her world history class.

Kevin Wood, the eight year Marine veteran, was upset because he did not want his high-school junior daughter to participate in instruction on Islam.

He called La Plata High School in Maryland, hoping to get his daughter excused.

Wood spoke first to an administrative assistant and then to Vice Principal Shannon Morris.

A school-district spokeswoman, Katie O’Malley Simpson, claimed that Wood threatened to cause problems at the school in his conversation with Morris.

She said: “Safety comes first. We don’t allow disruptions at the schools, especially if we’re forewarned of them.”

However, Wood denies making any threats and simply wanted his daughter to be removed from instruction about Islam because he does “not believe in” the religion.

He shared one comment he had to the local newspaper:

“I told her straight up ‘you could take that Muslim-loving piece of paper and shove it up your white a–.”
Wood’s wife backs up his story and says that “nowhere he did he ever threaten (anyone).”

Wood also is frustrated over his belief that the class would give attention to Islam while giving little or no attention to Christianity.

O’Malley-Simpson says that students must learn about the “Middle East” as part of the world history curriculum set by the Maryland State Board of Education.

The Wood family will be taking their complaints to state legislators and the Maryland Department of Education.

This past Monday, Wood’s daughter did not attend world history class and won’t be completing any future assignments on Islam. According to the parents, she will be receiving zero credit for each of the assignments.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/dad-banned-from-school-after-complaints-about-daughters-islam-homework/#tTEUAjw1EYBkpy5r.99

Good....can't be threatening school officials.  They weren't teaching Islam....it was a lesson on regional cultures for World History..... ::)
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
Did they teach ball washing?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »
The dad did swore at the woman and said some things that could be interpreted as threats:

That sounds like a threat.

As for anti-Christian, pro-Islam?  ::)

That's the school's version. 

Oh yeah, I'm sure the lessons were comparable.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »
Very dramatic but are you sure you know what "concerted" means?  LOL. 

I feel like the Anton Chiguhr character from NCOM saying to the store clerk, "You don't know what you're talking about, do you?"

When you were in Junior High, did they let you pick and choose what you'd be studying in your world history class?

Please tell me you're just playing dumb here.

Only one of us has a problem understanding simple words and word usage.  (That would be you.) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
Christianity does have a big target across it's chest in " public" America - anywhere really

Just look at students who practice Buddhism, Hindus, Muslims, Wicca... ANY religion except Christianity is ok, it's acceptable, it's ' diversity" etc..

The way Hollywood, comedians,politicians, the military, civil service anything in American caters to everyone except Christianity is so blatant

If students or anybody wanted to do a "unit" on parts of the Koran, the Vedas, Upanishads, the Tora, I-ching.... whatever you name it , it would be applauded as wonderful, diversity .... but teach a "unit" on the Ten Commandments or Jesus and you have a sh - - storm of big proportions - FACT

Exactly. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »
You seem to be conflating the study of a religion with the practice of a religion and these are 2 completely separate things.  

Also, according to the school officials mentioned in the article, material about Christianity IS taught in the World History class in question.  

I think I disagree with you that Christianity is any more or less favored than other religions in America.  I don't doubt that it it gets attacked more here in the USA but think that it's because it's the most popular religion here.

Personally, I think they're all religions are wack but some, like Islam, seem to condone behavior that is more objectionable than others, for sure.

lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »

Good....can't be threatening school officials.  They weren't teaching Islam....it was a lesson on regional cultures for World History..... ::)

What you think about the modern day version Islam that calls for the execution of homosexuals? 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
What you think about the modern day version Islam that calls for the execution of homosexuals? 
Good Question

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »

Vince will just dress up as a goat and think he will be spared.   ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
Vince will just dress up as a goat and think he will be spared.   ;)
  ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »
Kore you have to see that obvious double standard in america in terms of tolerance of religious ideas. Christianity is the popular religion to bash these days and other religions are given passes where christianity certainly wouldnt.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Very dramatic but are you sure you know what "concerted" means?  LOL. 

I feel like the Anton Chiguhr character from NCOM saying to the store clerk, "You don't know what you're talking about, do you?"

When you were in Junior High, did they let you pick and choose what you'd be studying in your world history class?

Please tell me you're just playing dumb here.

I've asked Bum that very same question many times in the past.

Sadly, I can assure you he is not.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 01:48:08 AM »

I think it's turrible.

So, obviously we should pretend that Islam (including the 700 hundred some odd years of the Ottoman Empire) never existed. lol

Jeez, BB, so you don't know jack about medicine, education or world history.  What do you know about? 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 02:11:23 AM »
Kore you have to see that obvious double standard in america in terms of tolerance of religious ideas. Christianity is the popular religion to bash these days and other religions are given passes where christianity certainly wouldnt.

Maybe I do sorta of see it, Tony.  I can see why it seems that way but it might have something to do with the fact that Christianity is the dominant religion here so that's why folks complain about it.  

Kinda like how folks complain about police abuse here in the USA;  I'm 100% sure police abuse is much worse in a lot of foreign countries but we don't hear folks complaining about the foreign cops doing the shit they do because it doesn't happen here so it doesn't affect us much.  

Tricky thing to criticize religion in America, for sure since freedom of religion is supposed to be important to Americans.  

Personally, I think the freedom to practice the religion of one's choice is fine...up until folks try to use it to cover for breaking the (secular) law.  So no, you can't wear a freakin' mask veil (hijab?) in public, for instance.  And, sorry, you shouldn't be able to break discrimination laws just because your religion says homo's are evil.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 02:15:25 AM »

Good question. 

Next you should ask him what he thinks about Nazi's executing Jews when he ridiculously insists that Junior High kids should learn about WW2.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »

Modern day version, lol. The only difference in it's violence is that people actually follow the holy book unlike christians. Both are vile

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
I think it's turrible.

So, obviously we should pretend that Islam (including the 700 hundred some odd years of the Ottoman Empire) never existed. lol

Jeez, BB, so you don't know jack about medicine, education or world history.  What do you know about? 

I know you're a simpleton.  Absolutely no doubt about that. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Modern day version, lol. The only difference in it's violence is that people actually follow the holy book unlike christians. Both are vile

Not even close. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
Not even close. 

Huh? wearing a clothing of two different fabrics is punishable by stoning to death. No one takes it seriously, they do, that's the only difference. Both are poisonous ideas that cause magical thinking.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
Huh? wearing a clothing of two different fabrics is punishable by stoning to death. No one takes it seriously, they do, that's the only difference. Both are poisonous ideas that cause magical thinking.

Oh please.  Christian churches don't execute homosexuals.  You realize homosexuality is punishable by death in some Muslim countries?

If you don't see a distinction between Islam and Christianity, then you must be a paranoid anti-religious extremist.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
So it's ok to teach religion in schools as long as it is only the religion you follow?  Is that it?

Personally, I think they should expose students to the true history of Islam and what a shitbag that Muhammad really was.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
 ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
So it's ok to teach religion in schools as long as it is only the religion you follow?  Is that it?

Personally, I think they should expose students to the true history of Islam and what a shitbag that Muhammad really was.

That won't happen. Much like teaching tolerance for gays, they will only teach that Islam is the religion of "piece" as in they will cut into pieces if you don't convert.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »
Oh please.  Christian churches don't execute homosexuals. You realize homosexuality is punishable by death in some Muslim countries?

If you don't see a distinction between Islam and Christianity, then you must be a paranoid anti-religious extremist.

correct

instead they go to countries like Uganda and try to influence the governments to just put homosexuals in jail

just spreading that "good news" the of the gospel of jesus

and you know they would love to do the same thing here if only they could

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/03/scott-lively-anti-gay-law-uganda