Author Topic: Talking with a real life Al Bundy when I was in high school.  (Read 8100 times)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Re: Talking with a real life Al Bundy when I was in high school.
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
  I think there is an Al Bundy in many of us. High school was a time of excitement and adventure. Every party was the next big thing. Life was full of promises with more fun ahead. I remember feeling like the top of the world on many occasions. At some point in my late 20s things really began to loop around, and repeat. Life got predictable, routine.

I sleepwalk my days through work. My job does not stimulate me at all. I get along with my co-workers but could care less about any of them, except a couple of close friends. All the bullshit doesn't bother me usually. My saving grace is sneaking off to the building with the gym (there are 35 buildings in the medical production complex), and doing some giant sets for 45 minutes. Going home, repeating. I see my kids experiencing the highs of youth, and remind them to pause once in a while and soak it all in. They are doing very well.

At times my wife nags me and the kids are exhausting, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I may bitch to co-workers from time to time about how I wish to be single again, but in the end my family is all that really matters to me.
great comment.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 05:50:56 AM »
Hahaha pure gold. Before viewing this vid, I used to think he was just a fruity, old schmoe, but now I think he's hilarious and the closest thing to a real life gimmick

The Mayor is a real dude and pretty down to earth in "real life"
He's not a schmoe and simply enjoys bodybuilding and the atmosphere of the gym or major contest.

Too many within hardcore bodybuilding not it way too serious.
For example, look at the fin and games ARNOLD had with original Venice Beach Gold's gym bunch of characters.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:17 AM »
I like Howard. An example of a childless happy person (what a surprise :O) who's looking young, feeling great and (probably) has a great sex life with his 105th wife. Keepin' it fresh, that's good. Obviously - not for everyone.. many look washed up by age 35 and are hopeless at finding a somewhat decent partner to spend time with, while some - are able to do that at whatever age.. A lottery in gene department. Oh, and many are hopeless at earning good money (it enables you to have wider choice range too).

I know an "Al Bundy" in a making.. actually a few.

Thanks.

I think the world needs people who love being parents and those who never wanted kids and don't.
I know what's right for me , but I can understand why others get joy and meaning from being loving parents.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »
The Mayor is a real dude and pretty down to earth in "real life"
He's not a schmoe and simply enjoys bodybuilding and the atmosphere of the gym or major contest.

Too many within hardcore bodybuilding not it way too serious.
For example, look at the fin and games ARNOLD had with original Venice Beach Gold's gym bunch of characters.

The dude seems pretty hilarious. In an era where bodybuilders seem like lifeless blobs with no personality unlike the old days, characters are welcome.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:28 AM »

Great advice so he can again masturbate looking at Howard in posing trunks.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »
Great advice so he can again masturbate looking at Howard in posing trunks.

LOL, if only life was that simple... ;D

AlphaGyno

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »
I'll call him Ed the All State Ins salesman, a real life Al Bundy.
My track /football team buddies would often stop by and talk to him when I was in high school.
Ed was a damn good HS athlete but was beat down by life in his late 30's.
He had 3 kids, a ranch style home ( and mortgage) in the a decent neighborhood and drank like a fish.
His wife had aged poorly and smoked like a chimney as she constantly bitched at Ed whenever we saw them together.

Ed was only in his late 30's, but had the deep receding hairline and portly body of an old man.
He had those dead, kinda yellowish fish eyes , and looked like he was sleep walking thru life.
Ed had an All State Insurance kiosk in a hardware store n a strip mall in the NH town I grew up in.

After going to get a burger, we would stop in and talk to Ed when he wasn't busy.
He was a funny bastard with a dry sarcastic wit and very self deprecating about his own life.
Ed would often say to us ; " Enjoy life now boys. After the wife, kids and mortgage, you'll be locked into a lousy, job and drink yourself to death."
He had this really funny Sam Kinnison/ Lewis Black, angry sense of humor and cracked us up.
In turn Ed loved hearing our youthful tales of adventure and sexual exploits
Is this an excerpt from The Catcher in the Rye??

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Is this an excerpt from The Catcher in the Rye??

Wow!  I was reading that book in high school English during the same time frame I interacted with " Ed".

"Ed" the All State Insurance dude, was a real guy, we actually talked to ,in HS.
Catcher In the Rye is a great coming of age book where Holden Caulfield questions "conventional life" thinking.
I suspect that reading it combined with my own, unique observations helped form the views I still hold on
 marriage, family, having kids, jobs, etc.

I thought being a hippy bum was a waste because we all need to eat, pay rent and pull our own wt.
BUT, I also thought living like " ED" was a life of quiet desperation.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
I'll call him Ed the All State Ins salesman, a real life Al Bundy.
My track /football team buddies would often stop by and talk to him when I was in high school.
Ed was a damn good HS athlete but was beat down by life in his late 30's.
He had 3 kids, a ranch style home ( and mortgage) in the a decent neighborhood and drank like a fish.
His wife had aged poorly and smoked like a chimney as she constantly bitched at Ed whenever we saw them together.

Ed was only in his late 30's, but had the deep receding hairline and portly body of an old man.
He had those dead, kinda yellowish fish eyes , and looked like he was sleep walking thru life.
Ed had an All State Insurance kiosk in a hardware store n a strip mall in the NH town I grew up in.

After going to get a burger, we would stop in and talk to Ed when he wasn't busy.
He was a funny bastard with a dry sarcastic wit and very self deprecating about his own life.
Ed would often say to us ; " Enjoy life now boys. After the wife, kids and mortgage, you'll be locked into a lousy, job and drink yourself to death."
He had this really funny Sam Kinnison/ Lewis Black, angry sense of humor and cracked us up.
In turn Ed loved hearing our youthful tales of adventure and sexual exploits

Howard, which mall, NH town??

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
Howard's good people. And I enjoy his posts. Reminds me of an old friend of mine.

Wouldn't mind picking your brain sometime, Howard. Maybe through a pm one of these days.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
Howard, which mall, NH town??
Small , strip mall with the old "Pic and Pay" Grocery Store on Islington St in Portsmouth , mid -1970's.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
Small , strip mall with the old "Pic and Pay" Grocery Store on Islington St in Portsmouth , mid -1970's.

I'm in Portsmouth all the time these days, but thats a bit before my time...