Author Topic: Genetics and old age  (Read 5853 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Genetics and old age
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 06:24:10 AM »
People don't stop to think as they ponder retirement that working is just like riding a bike.

You never forget how to do it, and not only that, as the one thing that allows you to live, pay your bills, feed you, etc, etc, you now have to contend with the fact that your livelyhood is in someone else's hands.

Unless you have a nest egg, and you dig traveling, sitting around waiting for a SSI paycheck isn't going to cut it.

Your life just went from 100 mph to 0... overnight.

You think now it bothers you when your boss asks you to work the weekend or you get a call in the middle of the night with a work-related emergency...

When you retire, that ALL STOPS!

You get the feeling that nobody needs you anymore. Maybe a feeling of low self-esteem sets in. You wake up and the only reason you know it's the weekend is because your neighbors are home.

You don't get that exhilarating feeling that a Friday gives you before the weekend, or the pending vacation.

Working and a routine, getting up at the same time every day, having financial freedom... all of those things become a habit... and then?

POOF! Everything is gone in an instant. And guess what? This is what you think you've been waiting for your whole life!! Oh, the irony.

And let me also add: You are also older now. Things ain't working the way they used to. Energy levels aren't the same. Office flings aint' happenin' at the hardware store.

If you are garnering any attention at the gym, well, then I guess you've done your homework.

No, I've not retired, but I've had a taste of it, and the little bit I got I did NOT like. Not one bit.

Youngsters, take notice. Start making a plan now. Save money. You better damn well have hobbies. I have a bazillion and it didnt really help but it was better than nothing. Some of my hobbies pay.

If you think that sitting at home, having nothing to do and nothing to look forward to is something to look forward to... you've got another thing coming.

Stay healthy. That whole "if a little is good, more must be better' attitude needs to take a hike.

Also, one more thing. Yeah, I know, you can't wait.

Your friends. Some of them aint gonna make it. I lost 6 in October. All of us were going to turn 51.

I have no idea why their time was up. I can guess this and that, but the reality is this: You realize that life is very fragile. It truly does pass in the blink of an eye.

Remembering my youth is like talking about yesterday.

If your old lady has been home a lot with a part-time job or just being a housewife and mother to your children.. guess what?

You think she's gonna dig having you home every day doing nothing? She might not even know you anymore.

It is what it is. It's called life. I just wrote a book, but hey... it's what I do, right?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
People don't stop to think as they ponder retirement that working is just like riding a bike.

You never forget how to do it, and not only that, as the one thing that allows you to live, pay your bills, feed you, etc, etc, you now have to contend with the fact that your livelyhood is in someone else's hands.

Unless you have a nest egg, and you dig traveling, sitting around waiting for a SSI paycheck isn't going to cut it.

Your life just went from 100 mph to 0... overnight.

You think now it bothers you when your boss asks you to work the weekend or you get a call in the middle of the night with a work-related emergency...

When you retire, that ALL STOPS!

You get the feeling that nobody needs you anymore. Maybe a feeling of low self-esteem sets in. You wake up and the only reason you know it's the weekend is because your neighbors are home.

You don't get that exhilarating feeling that a Friday gives you before the weekend, or the pending vacation.

Working and a routine, getting up at the same time every day, having financial freedom... all of those things become a habit... and then?

POOF! Everything is gone in an instant. And guess what? This is what you think you've been waiting for your whole life!! Oh, the irony.

And let me also add: You are also older now. Things ain't working the way they used to. Energy levels aren't the same. Office flings aint' happenin' at the hardware store.

If you are garnering any attention at the gym, well, then I guess you've done your homework.

No, I've not retired, but I've had a taste of it, and the little bit I got I did NOT like. Not one bit.

Youngsters, take notice. Start making a plan now. Save money. You better damn well have hobbies. I have a bazillion and it didnt really help but it was better than nothing. Some of my hobbies pay.

If you think that sitting at home, having nothing to do and nothing to look forward to is something to look forward to... you've got another thing coming.

Stay healthy. That whole "if a little is good, more must be better' attitude needs to take a hike.

Also, one more thing. Yeah, I know, you can't wait.

Your friends. Some of them aint gonna make it. I lost 6 in October. All of us were going to turn 51.

I have no idea why their time was up. I can guess this and that, but the reality is this: You realize that life is very fragile. It truly does pass in the blink of an eye.

Remembering my youth is like talking about yesterday.

If your old lady has been home a lot with a part-time job or just being a housewife and mother to your children.. guess what?

You think she's gonna dig having you home every day doing nothing? She might not even know you anymore.

It is what it is. It's called life. I just wrote a book, but hey... it's what I do, right?

Just talked to a friend today that retired 2 yrs ago and he couldn't be happier... travels all the time, goes fishing when he wants.. doesn't miss work and doesn't understand anybody who does.. so to each his own. Some people should keep working.. it's in their DNA.. I ain't one of them

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
I was at the track this summer racing the bike. I'm watching the advanced group and I see a guy on a Ducati just fucking ripping it. He started in the back and lapped up to 3rd place, that's fucking fast. I walk back to the pit area and see this guy set up right next to my trailer. I see him take his helmet off and I go 'wtf this dudes old as shit'. Eventually I spoke to him and it turns out that day was his 70th birthday.

Riding a bike at the track is very tough. Having to throw around a 450lb bike is very tiring. May not seem like a big deal to you guys but what an inspiration for me. I sure hope I can still do that for another 40 years.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
I think once you reach 70 you pretty much stop being afraid of things... like life.

I unfortunately will always need to stay busy, but I will definitely slow down.

"Each to his own" is very true. The problem is, some guys have this misconception about what retirement is for so long that when it finally hits.. they aren't prepped.

Retirement is most definitely something you need to plan for.

Hopefully you won't have to go it alone. That's seems to be where guys really get screwed up.

Sometimes when I go to Starbucks early in the morning I'm all in this big-ass hurry... and there are these tables all pushed together with all these guys who are obviously retired just sitting there talking, eating pastries and drinking coffee.... it goes on for hours.

I  don't see that as something I would look forward to, but you can tell these guy's lives revolve around their daily meet at the local coffee shop.

If I knew what they talked about every day I'd probably get depressed.

I would rather head to the gym...

and I will

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »
I think ill pick euthanasia as a way to die. dont want to go thru complete physical and/or mental breakdown, with everyone leaving you alone in the hands of sadistic ''caregivers''. Kids go to daycare cause parents are too busy working to survive, and elders are left in hospitals etc What a sad world it has become.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
my father smoked and drank since he was 7 years old, hardly ever lifted a weight [used to throw around 660 lb barrels like they were nothing]. ate anything he wanted had 17 inch arms and a 34 inch waist lived to be 85 years old died in 2012.
F

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
my father smoked and drank since he was 7 years old, hardly ever lifted a weight [used to throw around 660 lb barrels like they were nothing]. ate anything he wanted had 17 inch arms and a 34 inch waist lived to be 85 years old died in 2012.
cause of death?

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
I feel much better mentally and physically when not working.

Work adds unnecessary stress and bullshit in my life.

Dealing with other people in the office who I would never normally associate with, over lit with unnatural fluorescent lights, performing unnatural soul sucking tasks.

I can't imagine the amount of cortisol being produced to deal with this shit on a daily basis.

Then there's the traffic jams.

I'm quitting my job at the end of next week and going to Thailand next January for a minimum of 1 year. I have a lot of savings and investments that I've accumulated over the years which I can live off the passive income generated.

Living the anabolichalo dream.

juicemachine

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 02:33:37 PM »
Most people dream of not needing to work so they can do what they want and don't need to do what they don't want to do. Since this is nothing more than a dream for most, they like to delude themselves into thinking they enjoy working. Which they really don't.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
F

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »
liver cancer.
how long did it take, did he undergo palliative treatment? was he heavily sedated?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Most people dream of not needing to work so they can do what they want and don't need to do what they don't want to do. Since this is nothing more than a dream for most, they like to delude themselves into thinking they enjoy working. Which they really don't.
there has to be a balance, working is necessary to feel useful to others, thats what matters thats why we work, to feel like we re being part of the whole thing. If you dont work you feel useless. Not working/doing anything/contributing at all makes you depressed.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:20 PM »
Retiring means - "doing nothing", doing nothing means death. Any sane individual wants to keep on moving.

It doesn't have to mean doing nothing. I'm retired and just as busy as I was when I worked. I just volunteer my time now.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
how long did it take, did he undergo palliative treatment? was he heavily sedated?

Uberman,

You should move to Oregon, if you don't already live here. Assisted suicide is legal here. I'm not being a smart ass, I am being serious.

If I get to the point when life sucks and I am a total burden on the people I love and who love me, I will chose to call it a day.

No one knows when that time will come. A young woman who was recently in the media moved to Oregon to take advantage of our assisted suicide laws. She was dying from an inoperable cancerous brain tumor. She chose to end her life a couple of weeks ago.

Many people lead productive lives well into their 80's and beyond. Health is a tricky thing. There is no way to know when something will hit you. You cannot live in fear of getting sick or dying. Dying at some point is certain. Nobody lives forever.

Prime

Prime

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
there has to be a balance, working is necessary to feel useful to others, thats what matters thats why we work, to feel like we re being part of the whole thing. If you dont work you feel useless. Not working/doing anything/contributing at all makes you depressed.

Do you consider volunteering your time the same as working?

Many of my friends and I are retired and we volunteer for a variety of things that interest us. We feel needed. I chair a board of directors for non-profit corporation and am the secretary - treasurer for another group. Additionally, I serve as a delegate on a labor council which meets once a week. For social interaction beyond time spent with old friends and family, I attend various events throughout the month. Some are a simple get together for breakfast or lunch and to shoot the breeze, others are conferences and events including lobbying in D.C. and in Salem, OR with other people who have like interests and a shared history.

Although I am pretty much all business at the gym, I have many friends there having worked out at the same gym for several decades. Just today I ran into a fellow who is ten years my senior. He still works out and looks damn fit for a man 80 years old. He is a long time retired plumber who works his farm when he's not working out.

The bottom line is if you are lucky enough to not need to work for a living, there is still plenty one can do with their life to keep themselves viable and connected to the world.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 12:07:39 AM »
Or just be like old Basil & sneak around  ;D

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »
Alexnader the Great's elite units were all in their 50's and 60's.

After he died they continued fighting as the most elite units, then they were between 60 and 70, still marching and great distances and undefeated.

Several of the Greek and Macedonian leaders and Generals were in their late 70's and early 80's.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
"keeping busy" prevents you from thinking about death. When you have nothing to do , when retired for example, you have more time to think about it.

juicemachine

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
Nice self delusions mate. You are useless either way. If you die tomorrow the world keeps turning like nothing ever happened.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
Nice self delusions mate. You are useless either way. If you die tomorrow the world keeps turning like nothing ever happened.
of course, we are all self delusional and brainwashing ourselves on a daily basis, i completely agree with this. Until one day nobody buys it anymore.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
went to the hospital because he thought he had pnuemonia , they kept him for a week came in the last day  and told him you have stage 4 liver cancer go home and die. you got maybe a month. about a month later he went quietly in his sleep.
F

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
went to the hospital because he thought he had pnuemonia , they kept him for a week came in the last day  and told him you have stage 4 liver cancer go home and die. you got maybe a month. about a month later he went quietly in his sleep.
i didnt know you could die quietly in your sleep of liver cancer. Many people overdose on drugs willingly or are helped by someone else. In hospitals you cant even ask "caregivers" to kill you, they ll do their best to keep you alive. I heard stories of people who didnt want to eat anymore, just wanted to die, but medics forced them to stay alive giving them tons of drugs to keep them calm and puting food directly in their stomach using tubes etc barbarious prolonging of life by medical means.

juicemachine

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
i didnt know you could die quietly in your sleep of liver cancer. Many people overdose on drugs willingly or are helped by someone else.
If you are terminally ill and in a hospital, rest assured they are "helping" you.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
i didnt know you could die quietly in your sleep of liver cancer. Many people overdose on drugs willingly or are helped by someone else. In hospitals you cant even ask "caregivers" to kill you, they ll do their best to keep you alive. I heard stories of people who didnt want to eat anymore, just wanted to die, but medics forced them to stay alive giving them tons of drugs to keep them calm and puting food directly in their stomach using tubes etc barbarious prolonging of life by medical means.
he was at home nurses came in 1 x a day they juiced him to kill the pain. so he went quietly.
F