Author Topic: Huge stock market correction coming  (Read 21421 times)

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
Re: Huge stock market correction coming
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »

Excuse me, but you don't sound much like a physicist.  "Major recoil"? 

I'm a filthy foreigner, so it was a bad choice of term due to bad translation from my side, what I meant was an abrupt market correction.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
Has the correction happened yet?

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »

S&P500 as a market indicator.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5EGSPC+Interactive#%7B%22range%22%3A%22max%22%2C%22scale%22%3A%22linear%22%7D

Even prior to the financial meltdown, SP was up to ~1500 at most. We are at 2000 now. As you can observe, there are severe corrections appearing with a cyclical trend. From the looks of it, we are standing somewhere around the top (or still climbing).

Nasdaq, DJ, SP http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EGSPC&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=%5EGSPC%2C%5EIXIC%2C%5EDJI

Cyclical behaviour in the past 15-20 years.

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »
It has in my portfolio.  :D

Oil rigs have been taking a real beating lately.   :o

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
Not a chartist myself. I've found over nearly 21 years that fundamentals are what really matter - earnings, competitive advantages within companies, interest rates, money supply, unusual events such as activist & institutional activity, geopolitical factors, other economic factors, etc.

If a chart pattern or an emotional overreaction triggers a big selloff when fundamentals are still strong, I go in and buy more usually. The opposite is usually true on the short side. I'll likely short more SHLD soon - especially if it gets back up around the $30 "technical level".  ::)... They're barely hanging on, borrowing every penny they can - much like JCP, but perhaps worse.

I heard a guy on tv a couple of days ago saying we were in year 5 of a 14 year bull market cycle. Just more proof that no one knows for sure.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
It has in my portfolio.  :D

Oil rigs have been taking a real beating lately.   :o

I'm big on the drillers myself. Damn Saudi bastards are killin' 'em right now!  ;D

And it doesn't help that the dollar is getting stronger - it's affecting gold as well.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2014, 08:40:54 AM »
A

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2014, 01:49:31 AM »
I'm big on the drillers myself. Damn Saudi bastards are killin' 'em right now!  ;D

And it doesn't help that the dollar is getting stronger - it's affecting gold as well.
Yeah, it's been very "interesting" lately.  ;D

Are you buying or are you waiting for even better opportunities?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2014, 02:27:59 AM »
Has it happened yet?  ???

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
sorry but exactly where do you see a downtrend here...

buy buy buy.... 100% up room to go with ZERO risk.. FREE MONEY $$$$$

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2014, 07:39:48 AM »
Yeah, it's been very "interesting" lately.  ;D

Are you buying or are you waiting for even better opportunities?

I've spent much of the past week or so "trimming the tree", so to speak. Increasing my overall cash position another 10% or so for now, probably for the rest of '14.

Selling most or all of some highflying names that make little or no actual profit like twitter that have also recently had a big run up.

Sold off most of my SWHC I've owned for many years when it fell back below $10 recently - put much of that $ into ATK.

Took about half my PXD profits off the table when it dipped below $200, bought a put when it double dipped below that level.

Buying a little more puts / shorts overall on the HLFs and other houses of cards, and increasing my shorts on JCP and SHLD - I wouldn't be surprised to see them both either liquidated or on the pink sheets by this time next year.
A

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
Very interesting, thank you for sharing 2Thick!

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
I also like to buy pretty long range puts and calls (play the volatility on both sides) on some of the more interesting biotechs that have very promising drug pipelines. Sometimes I'll buy a modest long stock position on one with a put for downside protection if it's really promising. Lots of M&A in this space as well.

Have recently made a few bucks speculating on the ebola drugs - especially Tekmira, which I think will be bought out - hopefully soon.

These biotechs are very speculative and make up a small portion of my portfolio.
A

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:49 AM »
the correction is here. I have stocks for about 2300 euros. I am keeping them since I won't accept short term losses.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »
LOL...

wow... market sure looks like its been correcting...LOL

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »

The Saudis increasing oil production has cratered the price of both oil and oil related stocks. Do you not think that that was deliberate? Obviously they knew that would happen if they increased oil output. If you were in the Saudi's position what would you have done before you increased oil output? Maybe sell your oil and oil related stocks. Saudis don't have to report what they are buying and selling in large amounts to the SEC or any other national agency? Their Sovereign Wealth Fund is reported to be worth at least $750 billion US dollars, and on top of that all the billionaires and large and small multimillionaires in Saudi Arabia, would all have known in advance that they were going to increase the oil supply, and that would lower he price of oil and oil related stocks. So of course they would have sold oil related stocks in advance. They've had 4 or 5 generations, since Ibn Saudi founded the dynasty, educated at the finest universities on Earth. They're not just camel jockeys who were lucky enough to be sitting on a huge amount of oil, they are smart and their investment portfolios are a major part of their wealth. No need to compete against US frackers and Russia, when they can now buy up shares of those companies at a huge discount. That's what the Saudis are doing now. Once they've secured their position in oil and oil related stocks again, then all they have to do is cut oil production, and the price of their oil, and their oil related stocks go up again big time. A win win situation for the Saudis, and totally in their control.
Oil related stock shares will be the big winners next year, but invest in companies based on the fundamentals of each company, at these newly lower prices, for the biggest wins next year.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2014, 07:01:31 AM »
Had you purchased Virgin America when it went public last month, today you would have a gain of 24%
Had you purchased Yahoo six months ago, today you would have a gain of 45%
Had you purchased ABAT six months ago, today you would have a gain of 130%

I think Virgin is still a buy, btw.  Just saying.  8)

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »
Had you purchased Virgin America when it went public last month, today you would have a gain of 24%
Had you purchased Yahoo six months ago, today you would have a gain of 45%
Had you purchased ABAT six months ago, today you would have a gain of 130%

I think Virgin is still a buy, btw.  Just saying.  8)

of course, the airplane companies are benefitting right now from the low oil price, but will the oil price still be low in six months?

I think the best stock tip right now is just to buy in one of the broad american indexes.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
of course, the airplane companies are benefitting right now from the low oil price, but will the oil price still be low in six months?

I think the best stock tip right now is just to buy in one of the broad american indexes.

Um, who cares?  A trader can make his money and be long gone by then.  ::)