Author Topic: The Marlins are fucking morons.  (Read 15699 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
The Marlins are fucking morons.
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
Just signed Stanton to a 13 year, 325 million dollar contract.

WHAT THE FUCK!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: The Marlins are fucking morons.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
Once you get over the initial number, we'll see that the opt out clause is something he'll likely exercise, should he continue to play at a high level.  Not sure what year it's at.

Also, at a 25M AAV, he's still highly trade-able, so they could easily fleece some dumb GM for prospects after a few years.

Would I sign  that many years?  Nope, due to he's been injured frequently.  But at least the Marlins are wising up and trying to compete.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
Once you get over the initial number, we'll see that the opt out clause is something he'll likely exercise, should he continue to play at a high level.  Not sure what year it's at.

Also, at a 25M AAV, he's still highly trade-able, so they could easily fleece some dumb GM for prospects after a few years.

Would I sign  that many years?  Nope, due to he's been injured frequently.  But at least the Marlins are wising up and trying to compete.
He has an option to opt out after 5 years.

He also has a no trade clause.

So he can rape the Marlins for all 325 million if he wants.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
He has an option to opt out after 5 years.

He also has a no trade clause.

So he can rape the Marlins for all 325 million if he wants.

Yeah, but the likelihood is that he plays elite ball until he's thirty, than signs another 10 year deal after opt out.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
Yeah, but the likelihood is that he plays elite ball until he's thirty, than signs another 10 year deal after opt out.
What, for even more per year?  :D

Fuck these salaries are rediculous

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
The Marlins are a small market team. They have no business paying one guy that much.

Have they not watched the shifting trends?

High payroll, star-laden teams are a thing of the past.

They could have signed a shit load of quality players for that amount of money.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
The Marlins are a small market team. They have no business paying one guy that much.

Have they not watched the shifting trends?

High payroll, star-laden teams are a thing of the past.

They could have signed a shit load of quality players for that amount of money.

High payroll team just won the WS with the oldest team in the league.  5 of the 8 final playoff teams were in the top ten in salary, including the winner.  Try again.

But, the Marlins also have to prove to other players that they are committed to spending and winning.  They have a bad rep, and their owner has plenty of money.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

High payroll team just won the WS with the oldest team in the league.  5 of the 8 final playoff teams were in the top ten in salary, including the winner.  Try again.

But, the Marlins also have to prove to other players that they are committed to spending and winning.  They have a bad rep, and their owner has plenty of money.
Im sorry, but nobody is worth a 13 year, 325 million dollar contract.

Especially with a no trade clause.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
Im sorry, but nobody is worth a 13 year, 325 million dollar contract.

Especially with a no trade clause.

In the context of MLB they are, if they enable a team to make the playoffs on multiple occasions.  Easily.

NTC doesn't matter with contracts that size, they are an NTC in and of themselves.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
Good for him for getting paid but Damn!....no one even knows how he'll be after getting hit in the face.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
In the context of MLB they are, if they enable a team to make the playoffs on multiple occasions.  Easily.

NTC doesn't matter with contracts that size, they are an NTC in and of themselves.
The baseball guys at ESPN are dumbfounded by the contract.

Kruk says the Marlins wont be able to afford to field a competitive team around him.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
The baseball guys at ESPN are dumbfounded by the contract.

Kruk says the Marlins wont be able to afford to field a competitive team around him.

Yeah, I don't get the 13 year thing either.  10, sure...

Maybe the Marlins know something, and they want to desperately change their image.

As for Kruk, he's more of a sideshow than serious baseball guy.  Probably jealous too.

Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Stupid contract period.....and the Marlins along with the Blue Jays are famous for signing guys to stupid deals and then dealing them two years later for prospects to a competing team....

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »
Stupid contract period.....and the Marlins along with the Blue Jays are famous for signing guys to stupid deals and then dealing them two years later for prospects to a competing team....
The problem with baseball is that the contracts are guaranteed. What if Stanton blows from this point on?  Other teams are not going to pick up that huge salary for a struggling player.

The Marlins better hope that he plays great, so that someone will be willing to work a trade for him a few years.

There is no way Stanton will waive his no trade clause unless he goes to a contender for the same money.

When are these huge contracts going to stop?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »

The marlins are not famous for that - they're famous for not paying anything.  The rep they had from 97 is long gone.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
The marlins are not famous for that - they're famous for not paying anything.  The rep they had from 97 is long gone.

I disagree...they basically broke up the team again after winning the world series in 2004

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
I disagree...they basically broke up the team again after winning the world series in 2004

Well, it was actually 2003 which was 11 years ago.  And on that team, their payroll was 20th in the league that year.  They did NOT sign expensive free agents to stupid deals and trade them away - they had young players like Cabrerra, Beckett, Pavano, Willis, etc who were yet to hit FA, and traded them or let them walk, rather than pay.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Actually, this deal might be totally back loaded, which would make the opt out unlikely....ugh.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »
Actually, this deal might be totally back loaded, which would make the opt out unlikely....ugh.

still a terrible deal..no matter how you try to justify it....this would be a bad contract even for the Yankees

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
still a terrible deal..no matter how you try to justify it....this would be a bad contract even for the Yankees

The phasing is what makes it potentially horrible.  If it was more evenly structured, he would be more apt to be traded and/or opt out after 5 years.

But, if it enables them to be competitive, attract better talent and make the playoffs, it's not terrible in the baseball context.  I don't know the financials for the Marlins, but I do know it's been written that the Yankees lose 60-75 million right away if they don't make the playoffs.  That's why if they overpay market of 1-2M per year on certain contracts to get the player they want it's no big deal.

If the Marlins make the playoffs 5 times over the life of the deal, it could essentially pay for itself.   
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't get the 13 year thing either.  10, sure...

Maybe the Marlins know something, and they want to desperately change their image.

As for Kruk, he's more of a sideshow than serious baseball guy.  Probably jealous too.

kruk is a real phony he does the country bumpkin act, and acts like a nice guy, but in real life i hear he's a wiseass prick.... he made the all-ugly team.
F

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »
Late to the party on this one but I think its an odd signing by Stanton in the short term and bad for the Marlins in the long term. I Stanton continues to play the way he currently is, he's going to opt out and look for a bigger payday so the Marlins get him fairly cheap for 6 years. However, if he plays shit, gets hurt, starts to decline, then he wont opt out, collect a boat load of money and the Marlins cant trade him. I do wonder if Stantons agent just wanted to be the first one to say he negotiated a 300mill deal even though it may not happen. I think int he short term the Marlins have the money, as they raked the MLB for revenue sharing the last few years and had their new stadium paid for by the tax payers of Florida. If Stanton remains a Marlin for the duration of this contract he is gonna put it right in Loria's stinker.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
Late to the party on this one but I think its an odd signing by Stanton in the short term and bad for the Marlins in the long term. I Stanton continues to play the way he currently is, he's going to opt out and look for a bigger payday so the Marlins get him fairly cheap for 6 years. However, if he plays shit, gets hurt, starts to decline, then he wont opt out, collect a boat load of money and the Marlins cant trade him. I do wonder if Stantons agent just wanted to be the first one to say he negotiated a 300mill deal even though it may not happen. I think int he short term the Marlins have the money, as they raked the MLB for revenue sharing the last few years and had their new stadium paid for by the tax payers of Florida. If Stanton remains a Marlin for the duration of this contract he is gonna put it right in Loria's stinker.

The way the contract is phased makes him very unlikely to be able to opt out for a bigger payday, regardless of how well he plays.  I thought the deal was fine until I saw the structure, now it makes little sense.
Y

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
The way the contract is phased makes him very unlikely to be able to opt out for a bigger payday, regardless of how well he plays.  I thought the deal was fine until I saw the structure, now it makes little sense.

Agreed. The AAV makes it look great but the break down is just way too back heavy.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »
Agreed. The AAV makes it look great but the break down is just way too back heavy.

Agreed - if the AAV was close to the acutual phasing, he probably would have opted out had he played well, but he's also tradeable if he approves it.
Y