Author Topic: Big question!  (Read 5721 times)

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Big question!
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:52:25 AM »
I gotta problem. I'm in high school and my parents won't let me use protein powder so after a workout im not really sure what to eat. 

What food puts protein into your system the fastest besides a protein shake?  I have lots of good food at my house such as chicken brest, eggs,tuna,peanut butter and turkey etc.  but what one is best for post workout?

Thnx for any advice.

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
Re: Big question!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 11:05:05 AM »
eggs whites and white rice
Don't let em fool ya

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »
egg whites...? really...? Somebody told me that eggs were really slow to digest.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:25:08 PM »
eggs are probably the best source of protein period. 

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »
Well i know their are many good things about egg whites. They're nothing but protein and all the protein that come from eggs is absorbed into the bloodstream not just a percentage of it like in some other foods but my question is...

Are egg whites the next best thing to a whey protein shake  for after a workout?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 01:43:22 PM »
I gotta problem. I'm in high school and my parents won't let me use protein powder

Why  ???
:

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 01:51:10 PM »
You ask why Princess.
Half of it is ignorance and the other half is a mix of prejudicness and biasedness.

So are egg whites the next best thing to a whey protein shake post workout?

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »
what the hell is wrong with whey?  its a lot better for you than soda or even fruit juice

try chicken  breasts (no skins) and rice
Valhalla awaits.

Drij

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 06:05:22 PM »
do they even know what protein powder is?  ???

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 06:10:11 PM »

If you're looking for quick absorption...I'd have to go with dairy, especially yogurt.  With the active cultures that aid in digestion you should go through it quickly.  Maybe: 1 cup non fat yogurt with sliced fruit.

You can also do this with condensed milk (make your own shake) or cottage cheese.

Good luck buddy ;D
just not good enough

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »
Thanks Brutal_1.
That the kinda answer that I needed. I think Im gonna try cottage cheese.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 07:34:31 PM »
I gotta problem. I'm in high school and my parents won't let me use protein powder so after a workout im not really sure what to eat. 

What food puts protein into your system the fastest besides a protein shake?  I have lots of good food at my house such as chicken brest, eggs,tuna,peanut butter and turkey etc.  but what one is best for post workout?
Thnx for any advice.

Go to Sams - 1 bag of un-cooked chicken - $14.00
                     George foreman Grill - $15.00 (purchase at sam also)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:52 PM »
GUYS!  Did you even READ the question?

I'm in high school and my parents won't let me use protein powder so after a workout im not really sure what to eat

What food puts protein into your system the fastest besides a protein shake? 
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »
You ask why Princess.
Half of it is ignorance and the other half is a mix of prejudicness and biasedness.
Thanks Brutal_1.
That the kinda answer that I needed. I think Im gonna try cottage cheese.

Cottage cheese is a great protein source, however, you are looking for a "quick" protein post workout, so cottage cheese would not be a good choice in that time slot.  Egg whites or just about anything else would be a better choice.
Your parents seem to be quite misinformed or something when it comes to protein powder.  You need to educate them.  ;)  Sincerely, if you need help with that, PM me.
:

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 08:43:12 PM »

The only reason why I didn't suggest egg whites is that they can cause bloating and gas...which will ultimately slow digestion and end up starving the muscle.

Plus, if your parents aren't going to buy you Whey protein, they probably won't shell out for a tub of egg whites.  Which means after your workout, you'll find yourself playing Betty Crocker in the kitchen cracking eggs and sifting out the yolk for twenty minutes before you can eat them. 

I still say yogurt  :P
just not good enough

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 08:59:40 PM »
I agree, go with the egg whites, also down some Gatorade with it for the fast carbs post-training.

Last off, work on helping your parents get a grip on whey protein. Don't bitch and complain but provide them with some solid evidence that protein powder is a useful healthy thing to take.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 09:00:19 PM »
The only reason why I didn't suggest egg whites is that they can cause bloating and gas...
You mean farts?   :o 
Which means after your workout, you'll find yourself playing Betty Crocker in the kitchen cracking eggs and sifting out the yolk for twenty minutes before you can eat them.

There is no way Betty would've taken 20 mins.  Wanna lesson in egg separting?  :P
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 09:03:23 PM »
Start here with your parents

http://www.wheyoflife.org/index.cfm
:

HickoryStick

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
Hey Op,  I can see where your parents are coming from.

I mean think about it.  First it's innocient Whey, then before you know it you're injecting anabolic steroids!  ::)

You need to slap some sense into your parents.  That's just ridiculous.  What's their argument against it? 

Whey is nothing but good.  Tell them that they ( or you, depending on who buys the grocerys) could be spending their money on worse things; pop, candy, etc.

If you're going to attempt to convince them that Whey is a good thing, and not the devil,  then compar yourself to other kids your age.  You're probably way more healthy, and are learning about nutrition.

Hell here's an idea.  Have your health teacher write you a note saying how good Whey is.  HA! That'd be a first.

Well dude,  Good Luck with the parent situation.  Hopefully you are able to show them the light.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 06:59:49 AM »
Mix Milk, eggs (if you are worried about Salmonella poison, microwave the eggs for 30 secs and then blend), PB and perhaps some sugar free Hershey Quick or Syrup and blend it up.
Good mix of proteins

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 11:58:40 AM »
You ask why Princess.

Don't take my name in vein. you evil doer

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »

Thnx for any advice.

Buy liquid egg whites at the grocery store.  They are pasteurized so you don't have to cook them.  Mix about a quarter of the container with skim milk and gatorade in a blender. 

No, it won't be as fast absorbing as Whey, but it will be the next best thing.  Here is a list of protein sources, from the best to the worse, based on how well your body absorbs and uses the protein, and based on amino acid profile.

Whey
Egg
Milk (Whey + Casein)
Meat (Beef, Chicken, fish)
Soy

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »
Iv run outa whey for now and am gonna make up home made shake to have through the day including after training:
Containing few couple eggs, milk,milk powder and maybe some cottage cheese and greek yogurt+flavour (bannana or hot chocolate powder etc etc)

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

cbogan2

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »
well first of all over the years of researching great protein sources i have come across studies that say you can wait up to an hour post workout for your protein.but to answer the question chicken or fish would be great. a can of tuna has more protein than one scoop of whey.its cheap and easy to make just open the can and empty the water. also a full glass of milk is about 18 g protein.basically as lomng as you get the potein in your body with in that hour you should just be looking for quality of protein.eggs were also another good choice.for someone bulking you can eat the entire egg

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »
Ya I'm trying to bring my parents up to speed on the whey thing but in the mean time eggs will do. We have lots of eggs at my house and I hard boil them by the dozen so that will work.
I think my parents will listen to me when they realize that the money for whey will make me more healthy, fit, and well nourished while most of my friends aske their parents for money to spend at taco bell and popcorn for the movies.
Thnx for all your guys help.