Author Topic: If you're a basketball fan or not this is awesome  (Read 10367 times)

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
Re: If you're a basketball fan or not this is awesome
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
And Ruth's record?

Your great great grandchildren won't see that broken.

As incredible as Gretzkys record is, future players will come a HELLUVA lot closer to that than 700 homers and 90 wins.

I don't see a record category for combined home runs and pitching wins? Nice accomplishment, but not a "record".

If you have to categorize accomplishments down to make them a "record", then they aren't, they're achievments.

Unless you happen to know who holds the record for "most triples at Wrigley field during day games played after a night game against righthanders on a Thursday"?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
I don't see a record category for combined home runs and pitching wins? Nice accomplishment, but not a "record".

If you have to categorize accomplishments down to make them a "record", then they aren't, they're achievments.

Unless you happen to know who holds the record for "most triples at Wrigley field during day games played after a night game against righthanders on a Thursday"?

Oh brother ::)

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:35 AM »
Oh brother ::)

Well, if only one guy qualifies for the category, it's hardly a record.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »
His batting average was something like three standard deviations above the mean for all other Hall of Fame batsmen :o

I like stuff like that.  Adding context to numbers rather than looking at just their absolute values, I believe, it's one of the best ways to compare players of different eras in baseball.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »
Well, if only one guy qualifies for the category, it's hardly a record.

Walter, I've been watching you for some time now. You don't post much but generally when you do its of the highest quality.

I just think on this subject its best if we just go our separate ways.

And it must be said that I truly look forward to engaging with you in other conversations in the future.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
Walter, I've been watching you for some time now. You don't post much but generally when you do its of the highest quality.

I just think on this subject its best if we just go our separate ways.

And it must be said that I truly look forward to engaging with you in other conversations in the future.

Well good Sir, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't know a great deal about old time baseball. I know the story of Babe Ruth, but I think that is my point. He is unique that he switched from being a pitcher to a power hitter, but is he maybe the only guy that ever really did this?

With the DH now, it makes his accomplishment untouchable, but not necessarily a "record"?

Either way, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »
Well good Sir, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't know a great deal about old time baseball. I know the story of Babe Ruth, but I think that is my point. He is unique that he switched from being a pitcher to a power hitter, but is he maybe the only guy that ever really did this?

With the DH now, it makes his accomplishment untouchable, but not necessarily a "record"?

Hey, Guys.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »

As the same to you my friend.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
Hey, Guys.

Not sure I'm following?

What did Lou Gehrig do that makes him the greatest team sport player ever?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
All these records that were made in an era where Hebrews couldn't play are null and void.  We all know what happens when we play a sport and like it.  We end up dominating it.  That's not being racist, that's being truthfull. See boxing, MMA,track, basketball, baseball and football for reference.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
All these records that were made in an era where Hebrews couldn't play are null and void.  We all know what happens when we play a sport and like it.  We end up dominating it.  That's not being racist, that's being truthfull. See boxing, MMA,track, basketball, baseball and football for reference.
Cant really argue that. Especially in the case of Ruth.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »

Wiggs, dont forget bodybuilding.
X

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »
Wiggs, dont forget bodybuilding.

I said sport.... :D ;D

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »

Which "Hebrew" challenged Wayne Gretzky for hockey supremacy?

Or was that one of the sports the welfare collectors didn't like?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 10:51:47 AM »
How is swimming coming along?  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
How is swimming coming along?  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Not well, we don't really like or care for it.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
Not well, we don't really like or care for it.
Oh some have tried.  So far, not so good at all at it.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
As incredible as Gretzkys record is, future players will come a HELLUVA lot closer to that than 700 homers and 90 wins.
No. Lemiux had one 199pts season. Nobody other that Gretzky has had more than 200points a season.
Gretzky averaged over 200pts over five seasons. He has 1000 more career points than the next one.
That does not include playoffs. He has several of those records as well.

Ok. I do not know anything about baseball. Very little about basketball. Didn't live in a barrel so Bird, Johnson and '90s Bulls of course.

You just can't compare different sports. Team sports even less than individual.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Which "Hebrew" challenged Wayne Gretzky for hockey supremacy?

Or was that one of the sports the welfare collectors didn't like?

No need to put Hebrew in quotes. It's who we are, no need to be subtly butt hurt over it.

No one has.  Clearly from conversations with any of us in America your average Hebrew doesn't know about or care about Hockey. It's never been a sport we've taken interest in as a people so no one has challenged the great Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky is the greatest end of story.  I have no problem with that.  Just as I have no problem with Roger Federer in my opinion being the greatest Tennis player of all time  He's by far my favorite and Tennis is one of my 3 favorite sports.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
No need to put Hebrew in quotes. It's who we are, no need to be subtly butt hurt over it.

No one has.  Clearly from conversations with any of us in America your average Hebrew doesn't know about or care about Hockey. It's never been a sport we've taken interest in as a people so no one has challenged the great Wayne Gretzky. Gretzky is the greatest end of story.  I have no problem with that.  Just as I have no problem with Roger Federer in my opinion being the greatest Tennis player of all time  He's by far my favorite and Tennis is one of my 3 favorite sports.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
I said sport.... :D ;D

I guess men parading around in little underwear on stage is really not a sport.  :'( :'(
X

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »

One can make a case that Josh Gibson is the best hitter of all-time.  He played his whole career against nothing but Hebrews and allegedly hit over 800 home runs :o

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
No. Lemiux had one 199pts season. Nobody other that Gretzky has had more than 200points a season.
Gretzky averaged over 200pts over five seasons. He has 1000 more career points than the next one.
That does not include playoffs. He has several of those records as well.

Ok. I do not know anything about baseball. Very little about basketball. Didn't live in a barrel so Bird, Johnson and '90s Bulls of course.

You just can't compare different sports. Team sports even less than individual.

The irony is that Mario Lemieux may have been the third/fourth best player of all-time and his incredible career gets overshadowed because he played in and followed the Gretzky era.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »

Well Wiggs, I am in America, and in my opinion the "average Hebrew" as you call them has an IQ of about 60 and quite frankly doesn't know or care about anything but their next government handout.

Wiggs, I'm not subtly butthurt, just as you're not Hebrew.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »

No.

#1 Wayne Gretzky
#2 Robert Gordon Orr

Gordie was great, but the real Gordie never lived up to the legendary tall tales about him that get told by the oldtimers.