Author Topic: Bill Pearl says "Do Not Train to Failure"  (Read 9366 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Bill Pearl says "Do Not Train to Failure"
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
Do Not Train to Failure

People ask me why I don't believe in training to failure at a time when the popular notion in bodybuilding is that the only way to make maximum progress is to always go for that last impossible rep (in other words, train to failure). I tell them the answer is quite simple: If you do a workout of, say, nine exercises, three sets per exercise, and in each set you go to failure, which means you couldn't complete the last rep, what you have done in these 27 sets is trained yourself to fail 27 times! That doesn't sound like success in my book.
My approach to training has always been to push yourself in your workouts, but do not train to failure! The last rep should be difficult, but not impossible or unachievable. And I've always been a great believer that you should leave the gym each day feeling like you had a great workout but you've still got a little bit left in the gas tank, so to speak. Because if you don't leave the gym with the feeling of having something in reserve, you will sooner or later reach a point where your training begins to seem so hellish and burdensome, you will either start missing workouts or stop training altogether. And then where is your progress?
So speaking from experience, I urge you: Train hard, yes, but not to failure. Complete what you start -- and that means every rep. I believe that this approach will not only ensure that you'll stay with your training program year after year (obviously training longevity is a very important aspect of all of this) but you'll also make the greatest progress. Why? Because you'll be training yourself for success in each and every rep, set and workout. Your training will be a positive rather than negative experience. And you'll be much more likely to keep your enthusiasm high and to avoid injury, overtraining and mental burnout.

http://www.billpearl.com/programs/programs.asp?d=20

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Re: Bill Pearl says "Do Not Train to Failure"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:32:55 AM »
Burdensome and hellish...... I do not agree sounds like he's saying don't work so hard it'll get old. I've been leaving the gym with nothing left in the tank for 15 years and I am more motivated than ever

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:15:34 AM »
I can't speak for him but I believe what he's trying to say it train hard but not to failure. If you train with low sets to failure you will burn out quick either physically or mentally.

I can express my thoughts using running as an example. Imagine a runner keeping a journal and he is a 5K runner. Using the HIT mentality of specificity of training he runs 5k everytime in training and records the time. Since he trains to failure he leaves nothing in the tank trying to beat the last training session time. How long do you think any runner could keep that up? It's just insanity. Yet bodybuilders used that methodology all the time because of the influences of Jones/Mentzer.

What power lifter or Olympic lifter trains to the ragged edge every time they train? Zero if you're an elite lifter. They cycle their training. They stop short of failure for most of their workouts.

I believe when Pearl trained he did something like this. 5 sets of 8 reps. First set he stops at 8 and could have got 12. Second stops at 8 could have got 10. Third stops at 8 and could have gotten 9. Fourth he fails at 8. Fifth set he either fails at 6 reps or lowers the weight to get 8.

Training to failure is a tool. It shouldn't be the objective of every training day or you will have to take off for exhaustion too many times.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:10:41 AM »
I dont believe in training to failure especially on compounds exercises, especially if natural and looking fro progress.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
The link where I found that quote also included a high volume six day a week routine

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
Yes if u do it like that I would think high volume is key

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:59:31 AM »
The link where I found that quote also included a high volume six day a week routine

yep.. Bill Pearl did some very high volume alright. I normally train to just before Failure too. I stop just before that last rep i know i will not make. did work for Pearl leaving the Gym with Gas in the Tank.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 03:49:45 AM »
High volume works for some guys, others only develop on hit, Mentzer style.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
Pretty much standard for experienced weight men (BB'ers...PL'ers...Olympic lifters) is avoiding the point of failure. This approach is still overlooked by many men, believing more is better. Truth be told, less will most always be better. Generally speaking, there are three factors of failure; momentary. temporary and complete (oversimplified of course...take way too much space/time for any greater detail..do a search if interested).

The CNS  (Central Nervous System) is the key factor in recovery and having the body adapt to an increased training intensity. And, in return, making steady progress in strength and muscle mass. Going to failure on every set of every workout will only delay (or even halt) steady progress, allowing the CNS to not fully recover.  There are exceptions with short and brief programs where reaching the point of failure is the purpose  (force reps, extended sets, drop sets, running the rack, etc). But usually used once every 3 or 4 week as a shock value to the system. Lifters will also check their max lifts and strength progress 3 to 4 weeks.

Going to the point of failure, time after time, will put greater stress on the joints, ligaments and tendons. Having joint damage, pain or aches can most always be traced to this. And the weight doesn't have to be of the extreme nature. Even moderate BB weight can produce problems. Keep repeating abuse to a joint, and sooner or later, that joint will cause very serious issues.

Remember talking to an older gentleman (at the time) who use to train at Bill Pearl's Pasadena gym. Pearl move from his Manchester Blvd gym after the LA riots to a smaller gym location. At the time it was 6:30am when Pearl started his daily workouts. Beginning with incline sit-ups and leg raises (100 reps each) before each workout. Said he would do 5 sets of most any exercise for 6 reps each....that was his standard protocol. He would do Around The World's (DB of course) as a warm-up. Said he got that idea from his brother. Pearl was just a regular guy, I have been told....no pretense.   Was very strong, but more into moderate  weight, which he could easily handle, at the time my friend worked out there.

Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
If you started training at 16 with consistency and you're now 30 how strong can you get?  If after over 10 years of training you can use say 200lbs in an exercise for 8 reps should your goal be to use that 200lbs every exercise period or as close to 200lbs as you can use? I know how insane that sounds but that is the mentality of HIT. Try to increase your strength through adding weight, getting an extra rep or shorting the time it takes to complete a workout. If a limit was something that can be broken year after year we would all be raw benching 500lbs.

Every new lifter should be trying to increase strength for years. There comes a point where progression can be seen in muscular endurance instead of pure strength. Instead of using that 200lbs for 8 reps to failure for a single set maybe use 160lbs for 5 sets of 8 reps. See how quickly you can do that 5 sets. Many low set bodybuilders who use HIT find when they switch to volume find they have little muscular endurance and that's not to be confused with cardio vascular endurance even though it's a component.

Training to failure comes with a price tag of burn out. I have used HIT forever. Every set brings me to that ragged edge. It also brings burnout mentally and physically. My best low set bodybuilding cycles with good results always just lasted 3 to 6 weeks before I needed 4 to 7 days off for exhaustion.  Like Pearl said if you can dial it down a bit you can train for more weeks before needing a break.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »
If you started training at 16 with consistency and you're now 30 how strong can you get?  If after over 10 years of training you can use say 200lbs in an exercise for 8 reps should your goal be to use that 200lbs every exercise period or as close to 200lbs as you can use? I know how insane that sounds but that is the mentality of HIT. Try to increase your strength through adding weight, getting an extra rep or shorting the time it takes to complete a workout. If a limit was something that can be broken year after year we would all be raw benching 500lbs.

Every new lifter should be trying to increase strength for years. There comes a point where progression can be seen in muscular endurance instead of pure strength. Instead of using that 200lbs for 8 reps to failure for a single set maybe use 160lbs for 5 sets of 8 reps. See how quickly you can do that 5 sets. Many low set bodybuilders who use HIT find when they switch to volume find they have little muscular endurance and that's not to be confused with cardio vascular endurance even though it's a component.

Training to failure comes with a price tag of burn out. I have used HIT forever. Every set brings me to that ragged edge. It also brings burnout mentally and physically. My best low set bodybuilding cycles with good results always just lasted 3 to 6 weeks before I needed 4 to 7 days off for exhaustion.  Like Pearl said if you can dial it down a bit you can train for more weeks before needing a break.
SOLID POST

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:01:29 AM »
I train at about 85%. Closer to failure and I start getting weaker and flattening out. Less intensity and nothing happens. You go through a set. At first you are getting out reps, then the bar starts slowing down, then slight cheating may occur until another rep isn't possible. Each person has to figure out their point to stop or else you will just be spinning your wheels.