Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA/UFC)
What was wrong with the IFL?
(1/1)
galain:
I've read about the IFL in a couple of books and watched some of the events on Youtube.

Why did this model of MMA fail? It seems like a great idea - get together teams of guys, have them coached by legends, fight them in an elimination tournament format and then have the coaches fight too?

Sounds fantastic.

I've read opinions that MMA is an individual sport therefore the team concept was never going to work - but I can't agree with that. The team concept for the audience is a good one (look at football, basketball, hockey etc etc etc). Look at how rowdy crowds get when they're getting behind a home town fighter. The team concept wouldn't be any different.

Look at how tribal most people associated with MMA are? You're a greg Jackson fighter. You're a Team Quest based fighter. You're standup/grappling/wrestling based........It's still very much an 'us vs them' mentality.

I get that the fighters weren't UFC standard - but I really thought the IFL seemed to have an exciting concept. And a good fight is a good fight.

Thank fuck I didn't know about it when it got started. I would have bought into the company for sure.

Can anyone tell me why this organisation didn't attract the interest it thought it would?
Navigation
Message Index

Go to full version