Author Topic: Boehner overcomes big opposition to remain Speaker  (Read 2756 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Boehner overcomes big opposition to remain Speaker
« on: January 06, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
Now get to work. 

Deirdre Walsh, CNN
January 6, 2015

Washington (CNN)John Boehner was elected to a third term as Speaker of the House of Representatives on Tuesday after a tense floor vote that saw a remarkably large chunk of his own party attempt to remove him.

Opposition to Boehner doubled from the last election for Speaker in 2013, when a dozen Republicans voted against him. He ultimately received 216 votes, enough to fend off an embarrassing vote on a second ballot but plenty to reinforce the notion that Boehner is struggling to maintain control over restive House Republicans.

The dramatic scene played out before live television cameras, as members were called upon one-by-one to stand and name who they were backing to serve as the next Speaker.

Despite the opposition facing him, Boehner was greeted by a standing ovation after he was nominated by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers on Tuesday and his wife, Debbie, watched the floor action from the Speaker's box.

Shortly after winning his spot Tuesday afternoon, an emotional Boehner called improving the economy and creating more opportunities for the middle class "our vital task."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, is kissed as she hands over the gavel to Speaker of the House John Boehner during a swearing-in ceremony in the House of Representatives as the 114th Congress convenes on Capitol Hill January 6.

"We'll begin on common ground," Boehner said, adding later "All I ask is that we disagree without being disagreeable."

He joked that his door is always open, but "don't get carried away with it."

Boehner begins the 114th Congress with a new Republican controlled Senate and big plans to enact a conservative agenda. President Barack Obama will meet with congressional leadership next week.

But the contentious election just to secure Boehner's job is a sign that the same dynamic he's seen in the last four years- resistance from conservatives - will continue to hamper his ability to govern the House.

The Speaker began reaching out to members the day after the midterm elections, and he and his allies continued to make calls and appeals for support right up until the vote on Tuesday afternoon, according to a senior House GOP leadership aide. As the top fundraiser for his party he raised over $100 million for GOP members and candidates and traveled to more than 150 events over the 2014 midterm cycle.

But Boehner's time and effort on behalf of other Republicans didn't automatically earn him another term in the Speaker's chair.

Incoming freshman GOP Rep Lee Zeldin, of New York, who Boehner stumped for shortly before his election, told CNN hours before the vote he was still keeping his options open. He noted that since the roll call would be alphabetical he would be one of the last to cast his ballot.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/06/politics/house-speaker-boehner-vote/index.html

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
Re: Boehner overcomes big opposition to remain Speaker
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
love that pic above.
Boehner in his really spray tanned daze!
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »
They look like they need to get a room. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »
Now get to work. 

Deirdre Walsh, CNN
January 6, 2015

Washington (CNN)John Boehner was elected to a third term as Speaker of the House of Representatives on Tuesday after a tense floor vote that saw a remarkably large chunk of his own party attempt to remove him.

Opposition to Boehner doubled from the last election for Speaker in 2013, when a dozen Republicans voted against him. He ultimately received 216 votes, enough to fend off an embarrassing vote on a second ballot but plenty to reinforce the notion that Boehner is struggling to maintain control over restive House Republicans.

The dramatic scene played out before live television cameras, as members were called upon one-by-one to stand and name who they were backing to serve as the next Speaker.

Despite the opposition facing him, Boehner was greeted by a standing ovation after he was nominated by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers on Tuesday and his wife, Debbie, watched the floor action from the Speaker's box.

Shortly after winning his spot Tuesday afternoon, an emotional Boehner called improving the economy and creating more opportunities for the middle class "our vital task."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, is kissed as she hands over the gavel to Speaker of the House John Boehner during a swearing-in ceremony in the House of Representatives as the 114th Congress convenes on Capitol Hill January 6.

"We'll begin on common ground," Boehner said, adding later "All I ask is that we disagree without being disagreeable."

He joked that his door is always open, but "don't get carried away with it."

Boehner begins the 114th Congress with a new Republican controlled Senate and big plans to enact a conservative agenda. President Barack Obama will meet with congressional leadership next week.

But the contentious election just to secure Boehner's job is a sign that the same dynamic he's seen in the last four years- resistance from conservatives - will continue to hamper his ability to govern the House.

The Speaker began reaching out to members the day after the midterm elections, and he and his allies continued to make calls and appeals for support right up until the vote on Tuesday afternoon, according to a senior House GOP leadership aide. As the top fundraiser for his party he raised over $100 million for GOP members and candidates and traveled to more than 150 events over the 2014 midterm cycle.

But Boehner's time and effort on behalf of other Republicans didn't automatically earn him another term in the Speaker's chair.

Incoming freshman GOP Rep Lee Zeldin, of New York, who Boehner stumped for shortly before his election, told CNN hours before the vote he was still keeping his options open. He noted that since the roll call would be alphabetical he would be one of the last to cast his ballot.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/06/politics/house-speaker-boehner-vote/index.html

LOL - Get to Work?

Have you been asleep for the last 2 years

The only question will be if this new congress will actually do less than the last one

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
Now get to work. 

insanity is putting in the same ingredients (boehnner + obama) and expecting different results.

any belief he'll "get to work" is just plain silly.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:12:56 PM »
insanity is putting in the same ingredients (boehnner + obama) and expecting different results.

I have to actually agree with this. (I just threw up a little)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »

Get to work = Endless, pointless, worthless 'meetings' and reading pre-written speeches from staffers.

I cannot think of a moron worthless existence.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
Get to work = Endless, pointless, worthless 'meetings' and reading pre-written speeches from staffers.

The last line = Obama. (Besides Boner)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:21:03 AM »
I have to actually agree with this. (I just threw up a little)

Cruz 2016.   

Jeb or Rubio or Romney?   More of the same :(

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:54 AM »
Boehnner and obama are both about one thing: Staying in power.

Boehnner TRADED any chance for change, for power.  He kept his job, by 2 votes.  He weakened Cruz significantly.   The new congress will NOT be able to get much done - and it's not because of libs.  It's because Boehnner clipped their balls already :(

They could pass a ton of tea party shit, and obama would have to VETO everything... and he doesn't do that much.  A lot might get done.  But sadly, that can't happen now :(

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
Louie got three votes!
and one of them was his!
way to go!!
w

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »
Ill never understand this. He is worthless.

That picture of him kissing that monster pelosi pretty much sums him up in one image.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »

Pretty much and on top of that it pays well.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
Now get to work. 

Not likely. Boner is weak. This event just shows the conservative party is once again not aligned.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
Not likely. Boner is weak. This event just shows the conservative party is once again not aligned.

I'm not holding my breath.  Still, because I'm paying his salary, I do want him to do the right thing.