Author Topic: Lower back training  (Read 10086 times)

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
Lower back training
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
From time to time i get a little pain in my lower back, do you reckon using a machine like this daily or every other day would do miracles for it?

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Re: Lower back training
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
I do a couple high rep unweighted sets if I'm doing lots of heavy back rows barbell tbars dbell rows deadlifts etcetera especially if I'm blasting legs hard like I'm doing now with squats. Indo the back extensions some times as a warm up or in between sets and in some reps I'll hang at the bottom and let it stretch feels damn good especially after dead lifts and i do it mainly because I got addicted to the stretch it gives also I seem to have hardly any problems with it lately come to think of it.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:25:57 AM »
I do a couple high rep unweighted sets if I'm doing lots of heavy back rows barbell tbars dbell rows deadlifts etcetera especially if I'm blasting legs hard like I'm doing now with squats. Indo the back extensions some times as a warm up or in between sets and in some reps I'll hang at the bottom and let it stretch feels damn good especially after dead lifts and i do it mainly because I got addicted to the stretch it gives also I seem to have hardly any problems with it lately come to think of it.

thanks i know dorian yates used to finish with it, and even him at his heaviest didnt use much weight at all

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
Just give it a try for a while cant hurt anything like i sed I use it when my low back gets pumped bad it helps

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:45:35 AM »
Safe lower back exercise if you have some pain and can do partial reps. I even like doing these superset style with leg curls, stretch and contraction positions are great for Hammies.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:17:40 AM »
From time to time i get a little pain in my lower back, do you reckon using a machine like this daily or every other day would do miracles for it?

actually think it would make it worse...if you constantly do it every single day

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:12 AM »
actually think it would make it worse...if you constantly do it every single day

whatabout every other day? my take is that it would stretch and strengthen the lower back.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
whatabout every other day? my take is that it would stretch and strengthen the lower back.

I don't know...if you have a bad back that means you are livign in constant pain...is it a spinal problem>???....is it because you have a pot belly and carrying the belly is causing back issues??...if its a spinal problem then nothing you do will work....if its because you have a job which requires heavy lifting then you might just need a good massage

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 12:35:54 PM »
Lol pot belly. If it's a spine problem go to dr if it's back pumps either from high dose oral steroids or squatting heavy and heavy deadlifts or leaned over barbell rows my lower back gets tight do a few of these seems to work it out. It's Like touching your toes when the hammy cramps up to me

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
nah its not that serious, no severe pain or anything its just that when i DO feel any kind of pain after, i dont know, helping a friend move, or standing for 3 hours watching a sports game i feel it in my lower back, never anywhere else, im quite tall so that might have something to do with it.
i just reckon that part might need some regular training... hell even sitting in front of the computer for too long might not be the best for the back so I just thought stretching and strenghtning that area of the body may be a good thing.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 04:17:22 AM »

This thing is great for hamstrings and lower back.

Ive seen amazing progress in my hamstrings from thing and standing leg curl machine.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
nah its not that serious, no severe pain or anything its just that when i DO feel any kind of pain after, i dont know, helping a friend move, or standing for 3 hours watching a sports game i feel it in my lower back, never anywhere else, im quite tall so that might have something to do with it.
i just reckon that part might need some regular training... hell even sitting in front of the computer for too long might not be the best for the back so I just thought stretching and strenghtning that area of the body may be a good thing.

I get that in my lower back as well when I stand for along time....I think its just age.....or sciatica?

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 12:55:07 PM »

Ive seen amazing progress in my hamstrings from thing and standing leg curl machine.

thats good, anything that works hamstrings is golden cause i always feel they dont get enough work and a lot of people neglect them... it also seems you can do hyperextensions a lot more strict than most people do... i tried them really strict the other day where i really squeeze in the top position... in a dorian video his partner points out that knees should be slightly bent, not sure why, but i did it anyway  :)

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »

they don't get stimulation from those, no offense, but WTF are you talking about???

Like saying flye's stimulate biceps because they stabalize the movement...

And most people have piss poor hamstring development becasue they train them after quads, not smart enough to think outside the box and split leg day in 2 parts...
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »
Try foam rolling your t spine
Lax ball on glutes
Barbell massage glute ham tie in
Barbell rolling on quads
Improve shoulder internal rotation
Hip mobility
Strengthen glutes
Train the deep core
Be aware of your posture always
When your back hurts its tensed up to protect itself u need to get it to relax

Possibly try Mckenzie back exercise
w

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 06:15:11 PM »
That 45 degree back extension never felt right for me. It feels like the resistance drops off near the top. I use one like in the picture below. The first I heard of using a back extension came out of the USSR back in the day. There was a picture circulating of Vasily Alekseyev using a padded gymnastic horse with his legs braced with some kind of wood contraption. Like Yates he held a barbell behind his head to do them. You really don't need much weight to make this exercise hard. Most 500lbs deadlifters will find a 35lbs plate more than enough for a couple of sets of 15 reps. I hold a plate behind my head.

I find when I combine this with a semi stiff leg deadlift off a block it really gets both parts of the range of motion. The hyper gets the contracted and the semi stiff deadlift gets the stretch range. I almost do them knee locked out but just a slight break of the knee seems to make it safer.  Back in the day I would use straps and go all the way down until my hands hit the tops of my feet. John Grimek would stand on the end of the bench and go past his feet but that's some serious balancing and also not skimming your legs with the bar puts you in a bad mechanical position for injury.

I know the current acceptable way to do stiff leg deadlifts is to keep a flat back and not round it. If you do this your hamstrings and lower back flexibility should limit how far you go down. Most find keeping their back flat can only go down to about their knees.  No matter how you do them you have to have a very slow and controlled rep to avoid injury. This is no place for speed or jerking.

I wouldn't train the  lower back more than twice a week using stiff legged deadlifts and hyper extensions.  The lower back needs recovery time or it becomes injury prone in my bro knowledge empirical experience has taught me.

Don't forget the lower back also gets hit in plenty of other exercises indirectly. Squats are prime example of this. How about how your lower back in an almost isometric contraction while doing something like curls.

I use to have a lot of problems with my lower back in my twenties. Then I went found the combo of stiff leg deads and back extensions I went through decades of zero lower back problems. Don't forget to do some gentle stretching too. Both the mentioned exercises really hit the hamstrings hard. Many do leg curls and feel hardly nothing  in the hamstrings in the morning. Do some stiff leg deads and back extensions and your bicep femoris will be incredibly sore.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
thanks for the suggestions and input guys!

BEASTZ6

• Getbig I
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
I can tell you that back extensions cured my sciatica.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »
they don't get stimulation from those, no offense, but WTF are you talking about???

Try them with a slight bend in the knee. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »
Inversion table aka hang upside down.
sept 10th APF