Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Nutrition, Products & Supplements Info
Question For Necrosis Regarding Supplements/Drugs For Alopecia.
(1/1)
CigaretteMan:
  I sent this as a personal message to Necrosis some time ago, but he didn't reply. I guess he doesen't check his PM box. Here it is:

"Hi, dude. I have been reading your posts in the nutrition board and you seem to know a lot about nutrition and drugs. I have this problem: I am now in my mid thirties - pretty much middle-aged - and I have a receding hairline. In fact, I noticed it a little over a year ago when I was 33 going on 34. Given my genetics(both grandfathers bald by 40) and also my age, it is remarkable that I am 35 and have a barely noticeable receding hairline. But this is not good enough for me because it won't stop there. The tendency is for it to get worse.

I have tried finasteride and it worked great. I took it for only 13 days and by the end of that the small recession in my hairline had disappeared completely. But here is the problem: I had to stop the FT because it made me feel awful. I felt angry and above all very depressed. I thought this might be caused by the inhibition of 5-alpha-reductase resulting in increased estrogen due to increased testosterone, because estrogen inhibits dopamine synthesis in the brain. But then, I have used testosterone without an aromatase-inhibitor during my bodybuilding days, and I never got this feeling. From what I understand, DHT has euphoriant/anxiolytic effects of it's own. Suppressing DHT while concomitantly raising estrogen, which is what 5AR inhibitors do, is really, really, really bad for one's psychological health. Or so it seems.

Dude, I really need something that isn't a 5AR inhibitor that is effective to stop my hair from thinning and receding. Hair is my only vanity. I have tried Zinc which supposedly inhibits 5AR at the receptor level of the prostate and hair follicules without decreasing serum DHT much, but I don't think it is powerful enough to have an effect. I have tried using azelaic acid and it seemed to help only very minorly.

To make it clear: my question is pertaining to specific molecules, found in plants or pharmaceuticals, that are really powerful at stopping hair loss like 5AR inhibitors, but without the effect of lowering DHT and raising estrogen like 5AR inhibitors do. My question does not pertain to diet and lifestyle because I am doing everything I can there: I eat little carbohydrates as I know that high levels of insulin suppress IGF-1 in the scalp. I eat lots of vegetables, avoid stress and get omega-3 which increases insulin sensitivity, etc.

My question is only about specific molecules that have a powerful effect(comparable to 5AR inhibitors) on stopping hair loss without being a 5AR inhibitor.

Thank you very, very much for helping me. If there is one guy out there who knows his stuff on plants and drugs, that's you. Help me out"
jr:
There's a thread in the steroid section about different methods to combat hairloss

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=398546.0
CigaretteMan:
  well, I guess Necrosis died. Lol...
Navigation
Message Index

Go to full version