Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board
Getting more conservative as I get older
(1/6) > >>
calfzilla:
First off I am an atheist so I admit that will cause me to lean left on some issues. While I identify as Independent I always leaned heavily left but as I get older I'm starting to see how flawed the left is and that the right is a little better, not great but better.

I guess I wanted to make this post to see if other have similar experiences/feelings.

calfzilla:
Here are my thoughts on political issues: 

Abortion:  all for it, I hate kids lol. Jk but seriously I think it should be legal. I know its a difficult thing for people who go through it but to me it's just an embryo. I don't view it as murder or anything. However if one is having abortions I think it's a good indicator of other problems in their lives. Also most anti abortion folks are like that because their religion tells them so.

Guns:  I like guns and support the 2nd amendment. Don't think we need automatic weapons but semi auto ar15 and such are ok. Make stiff penaltys for felons in possession and do thorough background checks. Keep guns in the hands of good people.  :)

Minorities/racism:  I went to a super liberal university and studied social sciences so I learned a ton about institutional racism and how everything is whitey's fault.  It may be true but so what. You can't just play victim your whole generation and wait for whitey to fix it. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. I think with institutional racism it is harder for blacks but they make it seem like it's twice as hard; I think it's more like 5% more difficult.  Indians are dark and look different but do very well in the U.S. despite racism.

Gay rights:  I support gays to be able to get married and live free. I believe most gays are born that way. However I get tired of so many being in your face about it.

Welfare:  I think welfare harms more people than it helps. Wasn't it Lincoln that said you should never do for a man what he could do for himself.

Healthcare:  I am pretty far left on this issue. I feel there should be a "free" (yeah I know nothing from the government is free) healthcare plan. You should also be able to pay for private insurance as well for faster service etc.  but I think a basic healthcare should be universal.

Taxes:  should be lower for everyone. Govt is out of control. But conservatives must remember the majority of govt spending is military. The best military in the world. So even if we gutted the social services and entitlements it would only take out a small chunk of the annual budget.  Govt needs to stop accruing more debt! 

Archer77:
Same story.  I was hard left growing up and through college but I eventually grew tired of the doctrinal dogmaticism of the left.  You question the party doctrine and youre called all sorts of horrible things.  Dissent is moral character flaw.  Its impossible to have a genuine debate in an intellectually hostile environment like that.

I also found the left to be as hypocritical as the right particularly when it comes to free speech.It's as much of a religious cults in some ways as the moonbat religious right In that respect. I imagine its a lot like the experience a former believer goes through when they realize what they believe doesnt make sense.  Childish idealism makes way for mature realism.

I guess the best description of my politics would be libertarian.  Small government. Low taxes. No race-based policies. Limited entitlements. Individual justice over social justice. Legalize and/or decriminalize drugs.  Evolution good, creationsim not good.  Separation between church and state. Pro-2nd amendment-reasonable gun laws. Minimal involvement in escapades abroad.
Archer77:

--- Quote from: calfzilla on March 01, 2015, 01:34:06 AM ---Here are my thoughts on political issues:  

Abortion:  all for it, I hate kids lol. Jk but seriously I think it should be legal. I know its a difficult thing for people who go through it but to me it's just an embryo. I don't view it as murder or anything. However if one is having abortions I think it's a good indicator of other problems in their lives. Also most anti abortion folks are like that because their religion tells them so.

Guns:  I like guns and support the 2nd amendment. Don't think we need automatic weapons but semi auto ar15 and such are ok. Make stiff penaltys for felons in possession and do thorough background checks. Keep guns in the hands of good people.  :)

Minorities/racism:  I went to a super liberal university and studied social sciences so I learned a ton about institutional racism and how everything is whitey's fault.  It may be true but so what. You can't just play victim your whole generation and wait for whitey to fix it. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. I think with institutional racism it is harder for blacks but they make it seem like it's twice as hard; I think it's more like 5% more difficult.  Indians are dark and look different but do very well in the U.S. despite racism.

Gay rights:  I support gays to be able to get married and live free. I believe most gays are born that way. However I get tired of so many being in your face about it.

Welfare:  I think welfare harms more people than it helps. Wasn't it Lincoln that said you should never do for a man what he could do for himself.

Healthcare:  I am pretty far left on this issue. I feel there should be a "free" (yeah I know nothing from the government is free) healthcare plan. You should also be able to pay for private insurance as well for faster service etc.  but I think a basic healthcare should be universal.

Taxes:  should be lower for everyone. Govt is out of control. But conservatives must remember the majority of govt spending is military. The best military in the world. So even if we gutted the social services and entitlements it would only take out a small chunk of the annual budget.  Govt needs to stop accruing more debt!  

--- End quote ---

I would say we agree almost 100%.  I'm not sure on national healthcare.  I used to be for it but now I have doubts.  It costs so much money.  As far as the military goes, I don't see a problem making the military sleeker and more efficient.  We dont need bases all over the world.  One of the reason Europe has developed a large benefit states is because the presence of the US military has allowed them to use the money they would have spent on creating and maintaining a robust military on entitlements. We subsidize the European welfare states.
LurkerNoMore:

--- Quote from: calfzilla on March 01, 2015, 01:34:06 AM ---Here are my thoughts on political issues: 

Abortion:  all for it, I hate kids lol. Jk but seriously I think it should be legal. I know its a difficult thing for people who go through it but to me it's just an embryo. I don't view it as murder or anything. However if one is having abortions I think it's a good indicator of other problems in their lives. Also most anti abortion folks are like that because their religion tells them so.

Agree 100% here.  Excellent description.  I don't believe that a panel of MEN should be deciding the laws of which are used against a woman's body either.  

Guns:  I like guns and support the 2nd amendment. Don't think we need automatic weapons but semi auto ar15 and such are ok. Make stiff penaltys for felons in possession and do thorough background checks. Keep guns in the hands of good people.  :)

Agree.  While I don't think full automatic weapons should be available to the public, the semi auto versions of the models are ok.  I have stated in the past that stricter gun laws will not reduce crime because gun crimes often begin with a crime that involves obtaining the gun in the first place.  Instead of punishing the responsible people who own guns legally with stricter laws and enforcement, I say instead increase the punishment for those who use guns in illegal ways and with criminal intentions.

Minorities/racism:  I went to a super liberal university and studied social sciences so I learned a ton about institutional racism and how everything is whitey's fault.  It may be true but so what. You can't just play victim your whole generation and wait for whitey to fix it. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. I think with institutional racism it is harder for blacks but they make it seem like it's twice as hard; I think it's more like 5% more difficult.  Indians are dark and look different but do very well in the U.S. despite racism.

Whitey ain't fixing shit.  Ok?  Let's be clear on that.  Especially imaginary shit that didn't even originate with the white race in the first place.  All whitey is doing is tolerating this same old bullshit and excuses that certain races use to justify being lazy.  Think about it, if whitey is the suppressor of black rights for a hundred years, you think they are going to wake up one morning and correct everything?  No.  So instead of waiting for the oppressor to become the equalizer, why not better yourself to the point you don't need his help or approval to be equal.  If you are waiting on someone to "make" you equal,  chances are you won't ever feel equal if they do.

Gay rights:  I support gays to be able to get married and live free. I believe most gays are born that way. However I get tired of so many being in your face about it.

Agree.  I don't care who they marry.   It isn't like legalizing gay marriages is a mandate that forces straight people to participate in it.  It is amusing to see the narrow minded bigots rally their insecurities and xenophobia behind the thin veil of defense over a simple word.  If you get your panties twisted because they are calling it "marriage" then you really got bigger problems in your life than having to worry about what two queers are doing.  Of course the stupidity that rises out such debates about gay marriage leading to bestiality or pedophilia is laughable.  Talk about a low brain cell oxygen thief.  

Welfare:  I think welfare harms more people than it helps. Wasn't it Lincoln that said you should never do for a man what he could do for himself.

Agree 100% here.  I have stated on here many times that welfare should be a crutch, not a career.  I am in favor of a limited time span that it can be received.  4 years would be my guess.  That is enough time to go to college and get a degree.  Certain circumstances could be reviewed for additional time, but those circumstances should be strict when seeking approval.   I am in favor of drug tests for people who receive it and also feel that birth control should be mandatory while on it.  If you can't support yourself (economic hardship, laziness, life circumstances, etc..) then you don't have any business bringing a new kid into the world.  Common sense really.

Healthcare:  I am pretty far left on this issue. I feel there should be a "free" (yeah I know nothing from the government is free) healthcare plan. You should also be able to pay for private insurance as well for faster service etc.  but I think a basic healthcare should be universal.

I've already voiced my opinion on this too many times in the past.  The healthcare system does need to be overhauled.  But it should have started with where the problems actually lie - the insurance companies.  Fix the system for those that already have it and pay for it before throwing it to the masses to jump in only to experience the same problems and issues.
One thing I will say is that the best part of Obamacare is the elimination of pre existing condition restrictions.

Taxes:  should be lower for everyone. Govt is out of control. But conservatives must remember the majority of govt spending is military. The best military in the world. So even if we gutted the social services and entitlements it would only take out a small chunk of the annual budget.  Govt needs to stop accruing more debt! 

Don't get me started on this....

--- End quote ---

Good thread.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version