Getbig Bodybuilding Boards > Nutrition, Products & Supplements Info
Hummus
(1/2) > >>
SF1900:
A good snack to eat when hungry is Hummus. I eat them with triscuits, baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc. At night I get hungry and will eat some hummus with a vegetable.

Typical ingredients found in hummus. All good bodybuilding food!

2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed, plus more for garnish
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dark Asian sesame oil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
12 to 15 grinds black pepper
1/4 cup water
Paprika, for garnish

Princess L:
Hummus is easy to make, if you have a food processor.    
Can (14-15oz)of chick peas drain and reserve some liquid (TJ's is fav)
Blend in food processor - it will be dry and still chunky
Add about 2T olive oil and roasted garlic (fresh garlic is too harsh IMO) and the juice of a fresh lemons (probably about 3-4 T but I don't add it all at once - wait to taste).  If you have Tahini add about 2 T of that, if not, about 1/2 tea of sesame oil.  You need some sort of sesame flavor.  Even toasted sesame seeds would work, but they'd need to be processed first - like in a coffee grinder.  At that point - check consistency.  Add chickpea liquid ~ a tablespoon or so at a time to get right consistency and maybe more olive oil.  Add a few pinches of Kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper and several dashes of hot  sauce like Tobasco.  Taste.  Add more lemon juice, salt, etc, if needed.  I pulse to get consistency otherwise it gets too fluffy.  I like it smooth, not fluffy.  That's basically the base.  Now you can PULSE in some other stuff like roasted red peppers or olives... if desired
SF1900:

--- Quote from: Princess L on April 06, 2015, 07:01:46 AM ---Hummus is easy to make, if you have a food processor.    
Can (14-15oz)of chick peas drain and reserve some liquid (TJ's is fav)
Blend in food processor - it will be dry and still chunky
Add about 2T olive oil and roasted garlic (fresh garlic is too harsh IMO) and the juice of a fresh lemons (probably about 3-4 T but I don't add it all at once - wait to taste).  If you have Tahini add about 2 T of that, if not, about 1/2 tea of sesame oil.  You need some sort of sesame flavor.  Even toasted sesame seeds would work, but they'd need to be processed first - like in a coffee grinder.  At that point - check consistency.  Add chickpea liquid ~ a tablespoon or so at a time to get right consistency and maybe more olive oil.  Add a few pinches of Kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper and several dashes of hot  sauce like Tobasco.  Taste.  Add more lemon juice, salt, etc, if needed.  I pulse to get consistency otherwise it gets too fluffy.  I like it smooth, not fluffy.  That's basically the base.  Now you can PULSE in some other stuff like roasted red peppers or olives... if desired

--- End quote ---

PrincessL, I'd love to share some hummus with you while laying in bed together.
calfzilla:
Also good with pita bread.
Princess L:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/09/us/sabra-hummus-recall/
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm441863.htm

(CNN)Sabra Dipping Co. is recalling 30,000 cases of hummus due to possible contamination with Listeria, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday.

The nationwide recall is voluntary. So far, no illnesses caused by the hummus have been reported.

The potential for contamination was discovered when a routine, random sample collected at a Michigan store on March 30 tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.

Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version