Author Topic: Training for over a decade - have some questions?  (Read 6122 times)

Simple Simon

Re: for those who have been training for over a decade
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »
totally random, I dont know what Im going to train until i get to the gym.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   53 years of training pretty structured 3 days a week all above the waist.. walking year round and swimming in summer are my only leg cardio work at this point in life...     :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
HOW OLD ARE U ????

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
Been training since the mid 80's.  I change routines around here and there.  No longer need to go super heavy.   Currently doing full body workouts M/W/F which has me in and out of the gym in about an hour. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
HOW OLD ARE U ????
63 years old actually picked up my first barbell at 8 years old  but didn't start to train seriously till i was 10... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D they 'll have to pry the barbell out of my dead hands.... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
F

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
Colour is nice! Fresh baby! Its fresh :D

I hope you don't let any women see that shit.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »
Structured. Unless the gym is busy and I can't get to what I want to use - then I'll improvise.

Azzaro

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »
Nice thread.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
Been training since the mid 80's.  I change routines around here and there.  No longer need to go super heavy.   Currently doing full body workouts M/W/F which has me in and out of the gym in about an hour.  

Same here.  I started lifting three days a week, doing cardio three.  I do legs or running in the morning, upper body or other cardio after work.  Evening workout wakes me up after a day of sitting at a desk (or standing).

Like many others, i be become increasingly instinctual over time.  I pretty much always do the same exercises, but reps and sets are never the same.  I back off and push on as I feel -- no longer forceyslef to get X reps or sets if its feeling bad.

I feel a lot better this way.  Before, I would always ignore pains and try to tough it out.  In the end, though, that approach just led me to ignore my body's feedback... I got lost.

Once I started adjusting things based on how I felt instead of blindly 'soldiering on' and trying to hold myself to a 'rational' plan, I finally started feeling pretty good about my workouts.  Well, for the past year or so anyway...

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
Looking good G.  The fuck is up with that shower curtain though?  Looks like some bozo the clown shit.

His shower curtain looks like the mat from the old game, "TWISTER".   

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
1.  Is your training more structured or instinctual?  In other words, do you tend to follow a strict plan, or do you adjust constantly based on how you feel?

2.  Do you still try to 'progress' or are you happy staying within limits?  How do you hope to progress?  More weight, bigger muscles, reduce injuries, etc?

Structured. Like powerlift, for about as long as I can remember.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
Mine is always structured and planned out in a workout journal. I think the majority of good bodybuilders basically use instinct. They might know the body part or parts they are training but go by feel. Having a good day then train hard. A bad day then lower the weight. I think in general I have a good work ethic and I know the instinctive method of training would work for me but I'm just too analytical and rigid.

When I run it's always basically instinctive. I might say I will do a three mile loop. If I'm feeling bad I will just do two miles. If I'm feeling great I will blast the three miles. I can't imagine a runner plotting out his times and distance keeping too a rigid schedule.  Maybe for interval work.  

Right now I'm planning out my workouts in advance. I hope I will stop the insanity and train by feel some time soon in my training life.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
Structured in what body part. The exercises change all the time.

Goals are more size within reason and general fat loss/more ripped. I let my wife's eyes tell me if I am on the right track.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »
I guess this is both extremes. One guy writes down the weight and exercises used for the day. He follows his journal like a script.

The other extreme is the guy who walks into the gym knowing he is working back today. If he feels like starting with pulldowns he will. If chins hits his mood he will start with that. The next exercise he might think the second exercise I did last time was seated cable rows with a V handle. I think today I'll do barbell rows and so on.

The instinctive guy also plays with reps. One day he might do benches doing a 6-4-2-1 four the four sets. Next he might do 4 sets of 12 with a light weight.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
I have a structured routine when it comes to what day I train what body part but once I'm in the gym and I know what body part I'm training it goes purely on instinct as to what exercises I do. Rep ranges are always around 10-15 per set. Sometimes I'll go as high as 4 sets per exercise, other times I'll only do 2 sets and move on to another exercise, just to feel like I'm hitting all angles.

Diet is structured, and I still get pissed if I miss meals. Been training 22 years now.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
I have a structured routine when it comes to what day I train what body part but once I'm in the gym and I know what body part I'm training it goes purely on instinct as to what exercises I do. Rep ranges are always around 10-15 per set. Sometimes I'll go as high as 4 sets per exercise, other times I'll only do 2 sets and move on to another exercise, just to feel like I'm hitting all angles.

Diet is structured, and I still get pissed if I miss meals. Been training 22 years now.

Word.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 06:07:04 PM »
1.  Is your training more structured or instinctual?  In other words, do you tend to follow a strict plan, or do you adjust constantly based on how you feel?

2.  Do you still try to 'progress' or are you happy staying within limits?  How do you hope to progress?  More weight, bigger muscles, reduce injuries, etc?

I am in my fortieth  year of training now and I can honestly say that I have to train somewhat instinctively now because of all of those years gone by.  I try to progress and sometimes do but ultimately I fall back and then regroup to find another pass through the mountains as it were.  I train to look and feel the best I can. Sometimes my ego gets the better of me and on those rare occasions I succeed at satisfying what I call the Kid inside (i.e., a younger me) I remember who and what started me down this path. 

A goal.  To look like Reeves, Arnold, Draper and other greats that are now a part of the past but still make me train for a better physical future. 

I hope I've made some sense here.  I am, after all, old.   ;D

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 03:04:41 AM »
Follow strict plan! 6-7 days/week added regular cardio

More careful with food, eat less!

Progress for me is not change excercises reps volyme and all that shit the media try to teach you! Progress come with consistancy doing your shit every day year out year in.  

Lets see how far I can take it! Always looking your best is a nice thing to feel! Thats your gift when your a natty compared to the non natties! U can never fall! U got what u got so to say! 36yrs old 200 pound 6"3!

Well done, But you shoud've aimed for a lil lower when taking a pic as cock is really the only thing that getbiggers care about.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 03:21:53 AM »
63 years old actually picked up my first barbell at 8 years old  but didn't start to train seriously till i was 10... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D they 'll have to pry the barbell out of my dead hands.... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
when i see your Gold weights i think of James Bond...lol

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2015, 05:39:48 AM »
Actual bodybuilding thread reported.   :(

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master