Author Topic: Economy slows to a crawl (halt)  (Read 2714 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: Economy slows to a crawl (halt)
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
They get no "gifts". They get to keep more of their own money by taking advantage of tax breaks.

I can tell you as someone who has worked in asset management for over a decade and has been investing for over 2 decades that TSLA is / was a riskier than average investment that is way overpriced. And just about everyone else in the know agrees with me. If you must, trade it, don't own it. Or own it VERY lightly.

I believe you, you would have a better handle on it then me if that's your field. I think TSLA's powerwall will be a huge benefit and I would bet on Elon Musk. You are also comparing a new company, with new tech to an old established company. I wonder if you look at the first initial years of GM how they would compare?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »
I believe you, you would have a better handle on it then me if that's your field. I think TSLA's powerwall will be a huge benefit and I would bet on Elon Musk. You are also comparing a new company, with new tech to an old established company. I wonder if you look at the first initial years of GM how they would compare?

The thing is the market cap on TSLA has gotten FAR ahead of itself - Musk even said so himself.

Market cap = (number of shares) x (stock price per share)

I did buy a little TSLA a couple of years ago when it got a little over $100 and Musk disclosed that he personally had pretty much all of his money in TSLA. That's always a plus when a CEO puts his money where his mouth is. But once it got above $180, I just couldn't justify holding it anymore. When it got past $200, and on to $250 and $275, I felt compelled to incrementally take small bets against it.

Another good thing is that their revenue growth is very high - currently ~ 150%. But revenues overall are still relatively low, and far, far too low for the company to currently be worth nearly $30 billion. If they were suddenly a $10 stock with the same fundamentals, I'd buy tens of thousands of dollars worth. If they were between $20-30, I'd still buy quite a bit. But as long as they are in triple digits with current fundamentals, I won't buy and hold them for any length of time.

They could certainly continue to go up, just as Amazon and Netflix have gone up very high on little or no earnings and even pretty modest revenue in the case of NFLX. But both AMZN and NFLX are pretty unique within their industries, and they aren't limited to any sort of niche market - you don't need tens of thousands of dollars or more to buy something off Amazon or watch movies on Netflix. But I did recently sell what little I had left of both of those.

I think they're all 3 frothy these days, and TSLA is quite "bubble-ish" IMO. Markets in the short term are nowhere near 100% efficient, and I believe that TSLA is a perfect example. But over the mid to long term, markets do seem to pretty much always correct inefficiencies pretty well overall.

I do invest a few bucks in other alt energy companies - First Solar, Ballard Power, Daqo, etc.

This is from my journal, written on 2/25/14 on a rare TSLA day trade when it got an analyst upgrade just before the open:

It opened higher at $230 and kept going up on high volume. I grabbed 100 shares five minutes after the open at 8:35am for right at $235 at the market. I held on until about 10am when the volume started to dry up a bit and sold at the market again at just under $250.

Made nearly $1500 there. Those don't come around too often these days.

I also have puts on it.
A

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 11:35:36 AM »
How can the economy slow down Coach? Does that mean is has been getting increasingly better for the last years?

You have said numerous times that Obama has fucked up the economy so this is a Little confusing.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
Numbers don't lie. If the economy was doing so great, the Fed wouldn't still have interest rates at zero.

As to who is to blame for what, US presidents and governments don't have the kind of control over the economy, markets, employment, the prices of commodities, etc that many seem to think they do. Aside from increasing or decreasing taxes and regs, these things are largely out of government control.

Re Tesla, here's Jim Chanos's opinion:
http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/05/chanos-doesnt-like-weak-minds-or-tesla-motors-tsla/
A