Author Topic: Jeb Bush backpedals on Iraq war answer  (Read 11303 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Jeb Bush backpedals on Iraq war answer
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:23 AM »
Jeb Bush Backpedals Again

Source: New York Times

Jeb Bush on Tuesday sought to arrest a chorus of criticism from Democrats and some conservatives after he told an interviewer that, knowing what history has since shown about intelligence failures, he still would have authorized the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Calling in to Sean Hannity’s syndicated radio show, Mr. Bush said he had misunderstood a question that one of Mr. Hannity’s Fox News colleagues, Megyn Kelly, had asked him in an interview shown on Sunday and Monday nights.

“I interpreted the question wrong, I guess,” Mr. Bush said. “I was talking about, given what people knew then.”

The attempt at mopping-up was quick, but it did not bring the controversy to an immediate end: When Mr. Hannity asked about the 2003 Iraq invasion again, in yes-or-no fashion, Mr. Bush said he did not know what the answer would have been, saying, “That’s a hypothetical.” Then, he seemed to go out of his way to absolve his brother, former President George W. Bush, who ordered the invasion: “Mistakes were made, as they always are in life,” Mr. Bush said

Purge_WTF

Re: Jeb Bush backpedals on Iraq war answer
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
 It's gonna be a long time before any member of that dynasty has a chance at any high office.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »
my theory on jeb... he was a brilliant man.

But he's been out of office for almost a decade.  And he readily admits that for the 1st half of his life, he was an avid pot smoker.

Seeing the way he's gone from brilliant at age 54, to quite a step slower at age 62... Well, I think he retired from office and starting blazing daily once again.  Why the heck not?  Rich people get it medically without a problem, so if he wants it, he would have it.   He likes it, he harms nobody buy himself, so maybe he chose to indulge.

He's just not the decisive, confident and overall brilliant man that he was when he was Governor.  Maybe it's age too.  But the 2000 version of Jeb would be destroying the field.  Not anymore.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
Jeb Bush Backpedals Again

Source: New York Times

Jeb Bush on Tuesday sought to arrest a chorus of criticism from Democrats and some conservatives after he told an interviewer that, knowing what history has since shown about intelligence failures, he still would have authorized the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Calling in to Sean Hannity’s syndicated radio show, Mr. Bush said he had misunderstood a question that one of Mr. Hannity’s Fox News colleagues, Megyn Kelly, had asked him in an interview shown on Sunday and Monday nights.

“I interpreted the question wrong, I guess,” Mr. Bush said. “I was talking about, given what people knew then.”

The attempt at mopping-up was quick, but it did not bring the controversy to an immediate end: When Mr. Hannity asked about the 2003 Iraq invasion again, in yes-or-no fashion, Mr. Bush said he did not know what the answer would have been, saying, “That’s a hypothetical.” Then, he seemed to go out of his way to absolve his brother, former President George W. Bush, who ordered the invasion: “Mistakes were made, as they always are in life,” Mr. Bush said

how exactly did he misunderstand this question?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »
my theory on jeb... he was a brilliant man.

But he's been out of office for almost a decade.  And he readily admits that for the 1st half of his life, he was an avid pot smoker.

Seeing the way he's gone from brilliant at age 54, to quite a step slower at age 62... Well, I think he retired from office and starting blazing daily once again.  Why the heck not?  Rich people get it medically without a problem, so if he wants it, he would have it.   He likes it, he harms nobody buy himself, so maybe he chose to indulge.

He's just not the decisive, confident and overall brilliant man that he was when he was Governor.  Maybe it's age too.  But the 2000 version of Jeb would be destroying the field.  Not anymore.

Jeb is gonna win the presidency. The current president is a choomer. I see a pattern.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »

i miss the idiot kneepadders on getbig that would chime in to explain away Jeb's position here.

ah, the good old days when people would defend anything.  The new level of common sense shown here is nice.  Of course, once jeb is the candidate (i sure hope not), they'll defend this statement on his part.

Pretty cut and dry Q... funny that when hannity asked for a Yes or NO, he couldn't/wouldn't answer it. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
It's gonna be a long time before any member of that dynasty has a chance at any high office.

If the big money gets behind him he's probably going to win, unfortunately. 

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 07:27:19 AM »

It's called giving the wrong answer... having it blow up in your face... and then trying to rescue yourself from oblivion. Even GOP opponents and pundits think he screwed up royally.  "misunderstood the question"?  Yeah. Right.  Bah!

On Iraq question, Jeb Bush stumbles and the GOP hopefuls pounce
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/on-iraq-question-jeb-bush-stumbles-and-his-gop-rivals-pounce/2015/05/13/05dccac4-f97c-11e4-a13c-193b1241d51a_story.html

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »

Maybe he mis-spoke too

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
Maybe he mis-spoke too

I think he just did the usual politician thing and answered the question he preferred to have heard instead.

The interviewer should have called him on it at the time rather than giving him a pass

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/05/13/hillary-clinton-has-answered-13-questions-in-31-days/

when my local congressman Curt Clawson (R) started with a lead in his race polls - and refused to debate the dem in order to preserve that lead - my local FOX news morning show laughed and called it a great idea.

when hilary refuses to screw up her lead - while shitty and unsportsmanlike, and something I do not like - is that any different?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:39 PM »
when my local congressman Curt Clawson (R) started with a lead in his race polls - and refused to debate the dem in order to preserve that lead - my local FOX news morning show laughed and called it a great idea.

when hilary refuses to screw up her lead - while shitty and unsportsmanlike, and something I do not like - is that any different?

I have no idea who curt clawson is. Neither does 99.9% of America. I'm sorry, what was your point again?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:45 AM »
I have no idea who curt clawson is. Neither does 99.9% of America. I'm sorry, what was your point again?

he's one of the top bright repubs in congress, a true conservative that has called out boehnner for his bullshit.

he was the first one to call out Boehnner for the secret deal with obama/reid on the budget to undermine the new Repub senate - and he was right.

Maybe the freakin problem with the GOP is that you're bragging you and 99.9% of the USA has no idea who clawson is, when he's one of the bright minds that is the future of the conservative movement.  You're actually gloating to be unaware of one of the only repubs that gives a shit about stopping the obama/boehnner bullshit. 

That's my point.  Again.

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »
If the big money gets behind him he's probably going to win, unfortunately. 

Hillary has it locked up. The electoral votes favor a liberal piece of trash.

Jeb's a scumbag, just like his father & brother W.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
The interviewer should have called him on it at the time rather than giving him a pass

If it's Hannity in question, you can expect any fellow Republican to get a pass.

I hate to say it, but I think Hillary will be our next - and possibly last - President.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 08:53:52 AM »

Hillary has it locked up. The electoral votes favor a liberal piece of trash.

Jeb's a scumbag, just like his father & brother W.

I'm talking about the GOP nomination, not the general.   

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
  "There is a very easy way to prevent anyone from being put into harm's way, and that is for Saddam Hussein to disarm, and I have absolutely no belief that he will.  I have to say that this is something I have followed for more than a decade.
 For now nearly 20 years, the principal reason why women and children in Iraq have suffered, is because of Saddam's leadership.

The very difficult question for all of us, is how does one bring about the disarmament of someone with such a proven track record of a commitment, if not an obsession, with weapons of mass destruction.

I ended up voting for the Resolution after carefully reviewing the information and intelligence I had available, talking with people whose opinions I trusted, trying to discount political or other factors that I didn't believe should be in any way a part of this decision, and it is unfortunate that we are at the point of a potential military action to enforce the resolution.  That is not my preference, it would be far preferable if we had legitimate cooperation from Saddam Hussein, and a willingness on his part to disarm, and to account for his chemical and biological storehouses.

With respect to whose responsibility it is to disarm Saddam Hussein, I do not believe that given the attitudes of many people in the world community today that there would be a willingness to take on very difficult problems were it not for United States leadership.  And I am talking specifically about what had to be done in Bosnia and Kosovo, where my husband could not get a Security Council resolution to save the Kosovar Albanians from ethnic cleansing.  And we did it alone as the United States, and we had to do it alone.  It would have been far preferable if the Russians and others had agreed to do it through the United Nations -- they would not.  I'm happy that, in the face of such horrible suffering, we did act."

Senator Hillary Clinton (Democrat, New York)
    During a meeting with "Code Pink" at the US Capitol
    March 6, 2003

Yeah.  we should elect her. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
  "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members...

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.  Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well, effects American security.
 This is a very difficult vote, this is probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make.  Any vote that might lead to war should be hard, but I cast it with conviction."

Addressing the US Senate
     October 10, 2002

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »
 "There is a very easy way to prevent anyone from being put into harm's way, and that is for Saddam Hussein to disarm, and I have absolutely no belief that he will.  I have to say that this is something I have followed for more than a decade.
 For now nearly 20 years, the principal reason why women and children in Iraq have suffered, is because of Saddam's leadership.

again, jeb saying "me and hilary BOTH made the same mistake" is terrible.

Mainly because Hilary admits she got it wrong, and wouldn't vote for it, if given the chance again.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/06/05/hillary-clinton-on-iraq-vote-i-still-got-it-wrong-plain-and-simple/

Jeb?  Well, he would.  BIG difference, when it's time to invade Iran or Syria.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
  "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members...

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.  Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well, effects American security.
 This is a very difficult vote, this is probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make.  Any vote that might lead to war should be hard, but I cast it with conviction."

Addressing the US Senate
     October 10, 2002

again, hilary admits it was her fckup to support that war, and that she wouldn't do it again, if given that chance.

Jeb only reinforces this... some people learn from mistakes they supported - and some do not.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
again, hilary admits it was her fckup to support that war, and that she wouldn't do it again, if given that chance.

Jeb only reinforces this... some people learn from mistakes they supported - and some do not.

OK.  but weren't we all saying that the war was for oil?  That Bush and the evil Republicans fabricated evidence to support it for nefarious reasons?  

She had followed this closely for 10 years she said.  She had carefully reviewed all the evidence.  Most of those years under Bill's presidency.  Was that evidence fabricated?  Doesn't this mean she was behind the fabrications?   I just don't get how Bush can be accused of fabricating a war and she can only be accused of an error in judgment.  

As a person who doesn't care about politics I just want to know some of the truth.  Please help me understand this.

As far as i can tell the arguments posed by hard left liberals about the Iraq war conveniently leave out these details simply because it doesn't suit their argument that Republicans love war and Democrats don't.  You cannot expect a rational mind to not be utterly confused by the arguments set forth by Bush opponents.  The facts simply do not add up.  But no one cares.  Point to evidence that supports your theory, disregard everything else.  Because social issues trump facts.  

RIDICULOUS.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »

Addressing the US Senate
     October 10, 2002

Nooooooo.  Not those pesky facts again. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
OK.  but weren't we all saying that the war was for oil?  That Bush and the evil Republicans fabricated evidence to support it for nefarious reasons? 

She had followed this closely for 10 years she said.  She had carefully reviewed all the evidence.  Most of those years under Bill's presidency.  Was that evidence fabricated?  Doesn't this mean she was behind the fabrications?   I just don't get how Bush can be accused of fabricating a war and she can only be accused of an error in judgment. 

As a person who doesn't care about politics I just want to know some of the truth.  Please help me understand this.

As far as i can tell the arguments posed by hard left liberals about the Iraq war conveniently leave out these details simply because it doesn't suit their argument that Republicans love war and Democrats don't.  You cannot expect a rational mind to not be utterly confused by the arguments set forth by Bush opponents.  The facts simply do not add up.  But no one cares.  Point to evidence that supports your theory, disregard everything else.  Because social issues trump facts. 

RIDICULOUS. 

again, you want to make this "but hilary said..."

hilary admits the war was a mistake, and Jeb does not.

that is what matters here.  When the next big war comes against syria or Iran, hilary is more likely to say NO.  Jeb, on the other hand, will charge right in.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2015, 09:40:40 AM »

Nooooooo.  Not those pesky facts again. 

I'm not opposed to believing in a conspiracy theory.  I'm quite certain there are things every day that go on behind closed doors in Washington that the public doesn't know about.  What I cannot tolerate is the conspiracy theorists who cherry pick who they want to make look bad based on their politics with a complete and utter disregard for any facts that toe their political line.  It insults our intelligence.  And no one cares.