Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads
QUESTION FOR TBOMBZ AND MOS!!
(1/11) > >>
SF1900:
I was watching the movie "Footloose" and thought of this question:

What is your opinion on Christian (or any other religious denomination) Rock music? My best friends brother (lets call him Joe) and wife are crazy religious. I mean, they make you and tbombz look normal when it comes to religion (no offense). They are so crazy, that they were going to move to the same state to be closer to their "leader." I forgot which religious sect they are.

Anyway, Joe and his family belonged to some church. I don't know the details, but there was a discussion about using Christian rock music to promote their religion (lets pretend they are christian, because I forgot which religious sect they belong to). The priest/pastor/minister (whatever he was) was highly against this. I guess he considered this "blasphemy." Joe was totally for christian rock music. He said as long as it praised God, its just fine. He said this is a good way to get teens into christianity. As long as the rock music praised God and Jesus, then that is what mattered. I believe Joe thought the priest was out of touch with today's times. Joe is about 40 years old. The priest was very old. Joe wound up leaving the church for another one.

Tdongz and MOS, would you be okay with Christian "rock" music? Using instruments to praise God? If God is in our hearts and mind, then clearly He has imbued himself into those who can play instruments to express themselves. Why give someone the beautiful gift of music (being able to play drums and guitar), yet not allow that person to express their love of God via music? It would seem counter-intuitive to give someone the gift of music, yet expect them to suppress it. Dancing and singing and praising the Lord!! I think Tbombz and MOS should start a christian rock group.  :D ;D

In the movie "Footloose" Kevin Bacon (Ren) states:

"From the oldest of times, people danced for a number of reasons. They danced in prayer... or so that their crops would be plentiful... or so their hunt would be good. And they danced to stay physically fit... and show their community spirit. And they danced to celebrate."

Psalm 149 "Praise ye the Lord. Sing unto the Lord a new song. Let them praise His name in the dance"?

"Wearing a linen ephod, David was dancing before the LORD with all his might."
Man of Steel:
I have no problem with Christian rock music.   It's not a favorite of mine though.

I have no problem with some secular music either.  That "some" isn't God-centered but it isn't anti-God either.

I'm simple. ...if something is offensive or offputting I don't listen.   Majority of the time I'm listening to CCM or gospel music cause I enjoy it.

SF1900:

--- Quote from: Man of Steel on May 16, 2015, 06:06:09 AM ---I have no problem with Christian rock music.   It's not a favorite of mine though.

I have no problem with some secular music either.  That "some" isn't God-centered but it isn't anti-God either.

I'm simple. ...if something is offensive or offputting I don't listen.   Majority of the time I'm listening to CCM or gospel music cause I enjoy it.

--- End quote ---

Why do you think this priest had such a problem with Christian Rock music?  ???
SF1900:

--- Quote from: Man of Steel on May 16, 2015, 06:06:09 AM ---I have no problem with Christian rock music.   It's not a favorite of mine though.

--- End quote ---

MOS, which "secular" music/bands do you like? Slayer? Black Sabbath?  ;D ;D
Man of Steel:

--- Quote from: SF1900 on May 16, 2015, 08:03:47 AM ---Why do you think this priest had such a problem with Christian Rock music?  ???

--- End quote ---

Some folks think it's a gateway to something sinful.....too much blending and indulgence of the secular world.

Scripture tells us to make a joyful noise unto the Lord....why can't Christian rock be that joyful noise?

Some just don't like the term "rock".  There was a terrific youth group at a church I used to belong called "Solid Rock" but elders objected to the word "Rock" and wanted to call it "Solid Ground".  Ignorant folks IMHO.  Christ himself nicknamed his apostle Simon as Peter which means "rock".  Christ also referred to himself as the rock upon which the church would be built.  He nicknamed his apostles James and John the "Sons of Thunder".  Sounds pretty 80s hairband LOL,  but it's not.

I don't know. ...some folks think whatever they do.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version