Author Topic: The greatest rock album ever  (Read 16871 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: The greatest rock album ever
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
Bon Scott wrote EVERY song on BACK IN BLACK & was never credited nor his family given a dime.  Isn't it interesting how every album after BIB was never as successful as BIB?  Now you know why.

According to the biography I got, "None of Scott's writings were used for the album's lyrics, as the group felt it would seemingly profit from his passing. Instead, Johnson penned the album's lyrics and melodies, while the Young brothers composed the music."

http://www.amazon.com/AC-DC-Ultimate-Rock---Roll/dp/0061133922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431808259&sr=8-1&keywords=ac+dc+maximum+rock+and+roll

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
  • Women fall all over me and Pumpster is FUGLY.
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
At the end of the day, music and all other forms of entertainment is designed to distract gullible people away from reality. The reality of who they, what they are and how they came to be here.

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
  • All the muscle in the world!
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
From a creditable source >
"Its my opinion that the vast majority (if not all) of the albums lyrics were penned by Bon, its painfully obvious how the song writing changed after BIB , no more catchy ditties about the ups and downs of a rock n roll singers life and observations, just repetitive nonsensical blathering on, even the basic structure and sound of the band changed .Indeed I feel the heart and soul of the band died that cold Feb day in 1980 with Bon.
The ever present notebook that Bon carried with him was not found among his belongings in his ransacked flat, and even Bons mother was quoted as saying "those were Rons words" on BIB (she didn't call him Bon) , the Young brothers claim to have enclosed his lyric note book in his belongings returned to Australia which his mom said didn't happen.... I have discovered over the last 20 yrs or so that a lot of older fans of the Bon era AC-DC share my thoughts about Bons work being stolen , Brian got writing credits on BIB and the next few albums until the Youngs decided to take that over as well (he never wrote a song before AC_DC), not that either one of them can write decent lyrics! My feeling are that he was given the writing credits to keep his mouth shut..." sing this and keep your mouth shut" and you will become rich. When it became apparent that he was not a writer or musician( like Bon) the paranoid Youngs took away his writing credits. I has been speculated many times that Malcolm wanted to fire Brian in the late 80's early 90's, my guess is it didn't happen because Brian would spill the beans on the theft of Bons work. Even the record company brass in the US wanted Bon gone before the HTH album, he didn't live up to their "standards" somehow and they felt the band had more earning potential with a new lad up front. A lot of this background info as well as the list of unknowns surrounding Bon's death has really caused me to rethink his demise and question if his death was really a death by his own misadventure ...at the very least the Young's are guilty of the theft of Bon's material and future royalty earnings from his family and a fraud on all of their fans ....if his death was not completely accidental then they are certainly involved in that to some degree as well..."

IOW - How many of AC/DC's subsequenct albums came close to BIB's success?  None as we all know.  In all the songs they've recorded don't you think (1) one would at least approach YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG?  Of course.  Again none have.  ^That should tell you all you need to know.  Bon was known to keep a notebook w/ him at all times (unless he was drinking) & he told his mother a few days before his death in a phone call "I have at least 10 great songs ready to be recorded".  His infamous notebook was never found.  Case closed.
I

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
From a creditable source >
"Its my opinion that the vast majority (if not all) of the albums lyrics were penned by Bon, its painfully obvious how the song writing changed after BIB , no more catchy ditties about the ups and downs of a rock n roll singers life and observations, just repetitive nonsensical blathering on, even the basic structure and sound of the band changed .Indeed I feel the heart and soul of the band died that cold Feb day in 1980 with Bon.
The ever present notebook that Bon carried with him was not found among his belongings in his ransacked flat, and even Bons mother was quoted as saying "those were Rons words" on BIB (she didn't call him Bon) , the Young brothers claim to have enclosed his lyric note book in his belongings returned to Australia which his mom said didn't happen.... I have discovered over the last 20 yrs or so that a lot of older fans of the Bon era AC-DC share my thoughts about Bons work being stolen , Brian got writing credits on BIB and the next few albums until the Youngs decided to take that over as well (he never wrote a song before AC_DC), not that either one of them can write decent lyrics! My feeling are that he was given the writing credits to keep his mouth shut..." sing this and keep your mouth shut" and you will become rich. When it became apparent that he was not a writer or musician( like Bon) the paranoid Youngs took away his writing credits. I has been speculated many times that Malcolm wanted to fire Brian in the late 80's early 90's, my guess is it didn't happen because Brian would spill the beans on the theft of Bons work. Even the record company brass in the US wanted Bon gone before the HTH album, he didn't live up to their "standards" somehow and they felt the band had more earning potential with a new lad up front. A lot of this background info as well as the list of unknowns surrounding Bon's death has really caused me to rethink his demise and question if his death was really a death by his own misadventure ...at the very least the Young's are guilty of the theft of Bon's material and future royalty earnings from his family and a fraud on all of their fans ....if his death was not completely accidental then they are certainly involved in that to some degree as well..."

IOW - How many of AC/DC's subsequenct albums came close to BIB's success?  None as we all know.  In all the songs they've recorded don't you think (1) one would at least approach YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG?  Of course.  Again none have.  ^That should tell you all you need to know.  Bon was known to keep a notebook w/ him at all times (unless he was drinking) & he told his mother a few days before his death in a phone call "I have at least 10 great songs ready to be recorded".  His infamous notebook was never found.  Case closed.

How do we know which source is more creditable?

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
The complete lack of success anywhere near what BIB was gives the source I quoted all the creditability he needs.  Anyone w/ even a moderate amount of familiarity w/ AC/DC would agree the before & after Bon AC/DC is like night & day.
I

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »
The complete lack of success anywhere near what BIB was gives the source I quoted all the creditability he needs.  Anyone w/ even a moderate amount of familiarity w/ AC/DC would agree the before & after Bon AC/DC is like night & day.

Ah, guess that settles it, then.

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
Well....look how bad they're latest crap sucks.  Rock Or Bust.  Their busted IMO & need to pack it in.
I

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »

Enlighten yourselves,then thank me later.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2015, 04:30:06 PM »
A lot of fossils in this thread, craving for a time capsule...

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
A little off topic - but imo the greatest single is Powerstation - Get It On (Bang A Gong).  Incredible vocalist, guitarist, drummer.  Tony Thompson was one of THE best drummers ever IMO!  He was to be Led Zepplin's drummer in they're 1986 reunion but was injured & the plans were cancelled.

Tony Thompson live with The Powerstation on SNL playing Bang A Gong and Some Like it Hot absolutely melted my mind as a teen drummer.  Never had seen somebody play with such power and precision at that point of my life.  Tony absolutely tore the house down.  Still a big fan.  His drumming in Chic was more reserved.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »
A lot of fossils in this thread, craving for a time capsule...

If today's artists could get the job done, they would be mentioned. Can't think of many right now I'd even mention really.

Perhaps you could help me out as I'm looking for new rock music to listen to. NO idea what's out there now.
?

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
Tony Thompson live with The Powerstation on SNL playing Bang A Gong and Some Like it Hot absolutely melted my mind as a teen drummer.  Never had seen somebody play with such power and precision at that point of my life.  Tony absolutely tore the house down.  Still a big fan.  His drumming in Chic was more reserved.

Tony was one of THE best acoustic drummers ever.  He made acoustic drums sound better than electric.
I

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »
If today's artists could get the job done, they would be mentioned. Can't think of many right now I'd even mention really.

Perhaps you could help me out as I'm looking for new rock music to listen to. NO idea what's out there now.

Check out Jack White.

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »
Saw Guns n Roses in PA.....Whitesnake opened for them and got
off stage at 8:30....and Dickhead Axl didn't fucking come
out till 11:30....douche...Slash said last week he would be
open for a reunion. ..anyway the best rock band hands down is
Alice in Chains...guitar and melodies were awesome.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
Check out Jack White.

I did, kinda commercial for me. Used to kinda like the song with the pinball sounds, but the local station here played it 5x's a day for months on end.
?

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
Metallica
Master of puppets

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
Check out Jack White.

Indeed. And Rival Sons. And The Temperance Movement.

And, stop.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
Well....look how bad they're latest crap sucks.  Rock Or Bust.  Their busted IMO & need to pack it in.

Absolutely. More indisputable proof they stole Scott's stuff and fucked over the estate. Slam dunk, bro. Astonishing they've been able to keep a lid on it all these years, the thieving pricks.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2015, 12:13:10 AM »
Bon Scott wrote EVERY song on BACK IN BLACK & was never credited nor his family given a dime.  Isn't it interesting how every album after BIB was never as successful as BIB?  Now you know why.

OH brother, does everything need to be a conspiracy?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »
OH brother, does everything need to be a conspiracy?

Ah, he's one of those. Explains it.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »

Queens of the stoneage are worth a listen, songs for the dead is a great album

Kasabian have had various good albums

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2015, 02:03:22 AM »

Enlighten yourselves,then thank me later.
I like Hendrix too... got stoned to electric lady land a few times... ;D

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2015, 02:10:02 AM »
And contrary to legend Bon did not freeze to death.  It was very cold that night but his friend who put him in the car gave him a pillow & 2 blankets in addition to putting the safety belt on him.  He threw up during the night & being unable to move choked on his own vomit and died much like Jim Morrison. 

Bon, despite his appearance & stage persona was incredibely talented, hell he played the freakin' bagpipes on ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP (IF YOU WANNA ROCK'N ROLL).  He excelled in other genres besides hard rock.

http://greatwen.com/2013/10/31/the-many-voices-of-bon-scott/
I

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2015, 02:15:07 AM »

But why would you limit yourself to pure rock music? Things sound so much cooler when you throw electronics in the mix.
Some fossils might argue that electronic music is made by computers instead of instruments, which is utter BS. It always takes a human being to create things...

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2015, 05:10:59 AM »
/thread