Author Topic: Obama warns Coast Guard cadets global warming a national security ‘threat’  (Read 3870 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Good grief.   :-[

Obama warns Coast Guard cadets global warming a national security ‘threat’
Published May 20, 2015
FoxNews.com

At a time when the U.S. military is facing threats on multiple fronts -- most immediately, the advances of the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, where the terror group recently seized Ramadi -- President Obama told U.S. Coast Guard Academy graduates that climate change needs to be added to that list of threats.

"This is not just a problem for countries on the coast or for certain regions of the world. Climate change will impact every country on the planet. No nation is immune," the president said. "So I am here today to say that climate change constitutes a serious threat to global security, an immediate risk to our national security, and, make no mistake, it will impact how our military defends our country. And so we need to act -- and we need to act now."

The president delivered the message at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn.

The president in recent months has pressed for action on global warming as a matter of health, as a matter of environmental protection and as a matter of international obligation.

He even couched it as a family matter, linking it to the worry he felt when one of his daughters had an asthma attack as a preschooler.

His speech to the cadets, by contrast, focused on what the Obama administration says are immediate risks to national security, including contributing to more natural disasters that result in humanitarian crises and potential new flows of refugees. Further, the president said he sees climate change aggravating poverty and social tensions that can fuel instability and foster terrorist activity and other violence.

Obama said the cadets would be part of the first generation of officers to begin their service in a world where it is increasingly clear that "climate change will shape how every one of our services plan, operate, train, equip and protect their infrastructure."

As for the impact in the U.S., Obama pointed to streets in Miami and Charleston, S.C., that flood at high tide and to military bases around the country already feeling negative effects.

"Around Norfolk, high tides and storms increasingly flood parts of our Navy base and an air base," Obama said of military facilities in Virginia. "In Alaska, thawing permafrost is damaging military facilities. Out West, deeper droughts and longer wildfires could threaten training areas our troops depend on."

With the Republican-led Congress resistant to Obama's push for more environmental regulation in response, the president has been using executive orders to cut greenhouse gas emissions and making the issue a theme of speeches. But his climate change agenda has drawn strong political opposition and a number of legal challenges. Many of the GOP presidential candidates for 2016 have said that taking unilateral steps to address climate change could hurt the U.S. economy.

Obama's appearance at the Coast Guard Academy was his second and last commencement address of the season after speaking earlier this month at a community college in South Dakota. The president traditionally delivers a commencement address every year to one of the service academies.

Later Wednesday, he was visiting Stamford, Conn., for a Democratic fundraiser at a private home, with about 30 supporters contributing up to $33,400 each.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/20/obama-to-warn-coast-guard-cadets-global-warming-national-security-threat/

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Good grief.   :-[

Obama warns Coast Guard cadets global warming a national security ‘threat’
Published May 20, 2015
FoxNews.com

At a time when the U.S. military is facing threats on multiple fronts -- most immediately, the advances of the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, where the terror group recently seized Ramadi -- President Obama told U.S. Coast Guard Academy graduates that climate change needs to be added to that list of threats.

"This is not just a problem for countries on the coast or for certain regions of the world. Climate change will impact every country on the planet. No nation is immune," the president said. "So I am here today to say that climate change constitutes a serious threat to global security, an immediate risk to our national security, and, make no mistake, it will impact how our military defends our country. And so we need to act -- and we need to act now."

The president delivered the message at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn.

The president in recent months has pressed for action on global warming as a matter of health, as a matter of environmental protection and as a matter of international obligation.

He even couched it as a family matter, linking it to the worry he felt when one of his daughters had an asthma attack as a preschooler.

His speech to the cadets, by contrast, focused on what the Obama administration says are immediate risks to national security, including contributing to more natural disasters that result in humanitarian crises and potential new flows of refugees. Further, the president said he sees climate change aggravating poverty and social tensions that can fuel instability and foster terrorist activity and other violence.

Obama said the cadets would be part of the first generation of officers to begin their service in a world where it is increasingly clear that "climate change will shape how every one of our services plan, operate, train, equip and protect their infrastructure."

As for the impact in the U.S., Obama pointed to streets in Miami and Charleston, S.C., that flood at high tide and to military bases around the country already feeling negative effects.

"Around Norfolk, high tides and storms increasingly flood parts of our Navy base and an air base," Obama said of military facilities in Virginia. "In Alaska, thawing permafrost is damaging military facilities. Out West, deeper droughts and longer wildfires could threaten training areas our troops depend on."

With the Republican-led Congress resistant to Obama's push for more environmental regulation in response, the president has been using executive orders to cut greenhouse gas emissions and making the issue a theme of speeches. But his climate change agenda has drawn strong political opposition and a number of legal challenges. Many of the GOP presidential candidates for 2016 have said that taking unilateral steps to address climate change could hurt the U.S. economy.

Obama's appearance at the Coast Guard Academy was his second and last commencement address of the season after speaking earlier this month at a community college in South Dakota. The president traditionally delivers a commencement address every year to one of the service academies.

Later Wednesday, he was visiting Stamford, Conn., for a Democratic fundraiser at a private home, with about 30 supporters contributing up to $33,400 each.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/20/obama-to-warn-coast-guard-cadets-global-warming-national-security-threat/

This is common knowledge, worsening storms (more energy in the system), rising sea levels, increases in drought as we have seen etc etc.

Only a fool would suggest otherwise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
This is common knowledge, worsening storms (more energy in the system), rising sea levels, increases in drought as we have seen etc etc.

Only a fool would not only call this a national security threat, but mention it in the same context with ISIS.  Embarrassing. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Only a fool would not only call this a national security threat, but mention it in the same context with ISIS.  Embarrassing.  

So it is not a national security threat?

Think before you answer as the pentagon, military and many generals are all in agreement that this is a significant issue that can destabilize many regions.

I know you think the globe is cooling and 6000 years old but it's not.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Think before you answer as the pentagon, military and many generals are all in agreement that this is a significant issue that can destabilize many regions.

I know you think the globe is about to explode and is 1 trillion years old, but it's not.

No I don't think it's a national security threat.  Did you read somewhere that the Pentagon, military, and many generals say that global warming is a threat to our national security?  If so, can you link me? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

I dont think he understands the level of change in ice and water levels in the past 40 years.  It's affecting a lot of areas.

I'm not saying man is causing it, even if brainless idiots like Newt, Gore or Palin believe it is.  Nobody can prove that.

Although Coach did deliver one piece of evidence... the change in temp in the days after 911 when flights were grounded.   Hearing that from a repub, well, that woke me up a little.  I don't think you penalize businesses for it, but do you incentivize companies to develop better plane exchaust system?  Sharter use of $ than sending it for ball washing programs.

In short, repubs have made a stronger case for global warming thn Gore every did.  Coach, you did that bro.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Only a fool would not only call this a national security threat, but mention it in the same context with ISIS.  Embarrassing. 

so now you're calling the US Military fools?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/11/14/does-our-military-know-something-we-dont-about-global-warming/

“The potential security ramifications of global climate change should be serving as catalysts for cooperation and change. Instead, climate change impacts are already accelerating instability in vulnerable areas of the world and are serving as catalysts for conflict.”

“The environmental consequences of climate change are a significant threat multiplier, which by itself, can be a cause for future conflicts. Global warming will affect military operations as well as its theaters of operations. And it poses significant risks and costs to military and civilian infrastructure, especially those facilities located on the coastline.”

“The countries and regions posing the greatest security threats to the United States are among those most susceptible to the adverse and destabilizing effects of climate change. Many of these countries are already unstable and have little economic or social capital for coping with additional disruptions.”

“Whether in Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, or North Korea, we are already seeing how extreme weather events – such as droughts and flooding and the food shortages and population dislocations that accompany them – can destabilize governments and lead to conflict. For example, one trigger of the chaos in Syria has been the multi-year drought the country has experienced since 2006 and the Assad Regime’s ineptitude in dealing with it.”

this info has been posted before on this board

yeah, no evidence of any global warming eh "coach"

I'm sure you're aware (of course you're not) that the US Military takes global warming very seriously

http://www.newsweek.com/pentagon-report-us-military-considers-climate-change-immediate-threat-could-foster-277155

A report released Monday indicates the Department of Defense has dramatically shifted its views towards climate change, and has already begun to treat the phenomenon as a significant threat to national security. Climate change, the Pentagon writes, requires immediate action on the part of the U.S. Military.

The report is a “roadmap” of the Department’s future needs and actions to effectively respond to climate change, including anticipating that climate change may require more frequent military intervention within the country to respond to natural disasters, as well as internationally to respond to “extremist ideologies” that may arise in regions where governments are destabilized due to climate-related stressors.

“The impacts of climate change may cause instability in other countries by impairing access to food and water, damaging infrastructure, spreading disease, uprooting and displacing large numbers of people, compelling mass migration, interrupting commercial activity, or restricting electricity availability,” the Pentagon writes. “These developments could undermine already-fragile governments that are unable to respond effectively or challenge currently-stable governments, as well as increasing competition and tension between countries vying for limited resources. These gaps in governance can create an avenue for extremist ideologies and conditions that foster terrorism.”

but fuck all that

much better to pretend you're having a personal relationship with a jewish zombie and at some point in the near future you're going to rise off the earth and shoot like an ICBM into the sky towards....who the fuck knows.   Is heaven a coordinate somewhere out in space? .... or maybe you will just all land on the moon and settle in there and watch the firework show back on earth.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
I know you think the globe is about to explode and is 1 trillion years old, but it's not.

No I don't think it's a national security threat.  Did you read somewhere that the Pentagon, military, and many generals say that global warming is a threat to our national security?  If so, can you link me? 

Beach my man, you are asking for a serious owning here.

I said the globe is cooling, which is reasonable and accurately reflects your position I think (you might say nothing is occurring as well). You on the other hand use hyperbole, as is par the course for you, and use exploding, then again with the trillion years old while i again used your actual position (6000 years). Your position is untenable when it's reciprocal is explode and trillions. That's a symptom of just how wrong you are, it's absurdly wrong.

See strawman did my work  :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Beach my man, you are asking for a serious owning here.

I said the globe is cooling, which is reasonable and accurately reflects your position I think (you might say nothing is occurring as well). You on the other hand use hyperbole, as is par the course for you, and use exploding, then again with the trillion years old while i again used your actual position (6000 years). Your position is untenable when it's reciprocal is explode and trillions. That's a symptom of just how wrong you are, it's absurdly wrong.

See strawman did my work  :D

Necrosis I used your actual position that the globe is going to explode and that the globe is 1 trillion years old. 

I didn't read what the Village Idiot posted.  I rarely do.   :)

Did you read somewhere that the Pentagon, military, and many generals say that global warming is a threat to our national security?  If so, can you link me? 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Necrosis I used your actual position that the globe is going to explode and that the globe is 1 trillion years old. 

I didn't read what the Village Idiot posted.  I rarely do.   :)

Did you read somewhere that the Pentagon, military, and many generals say that global warming is a threat to our national security?  If so, can you link me? 

Lol at earth going to explode ;D

Those are not my positions, are you not a young earth creationist?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/us/pentagon-says-global-warming-presents-immediate-security-threat.html

Are you also asking me for an article were the pentagon, military, generals are discussed in one article? I was suggesting that they all have stated it is an issue, a threat to national security.

so many generals have talked about it :-*

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Lol at earth going to explode ;D

Those are not my positions, are you not a young earth creationist?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/us/pentagon-says-global-warming-presents-immediate-security-threat.html

Are you also asking me for an article were the pentagon, military, generals are discussed in one article? I was suggesting that they all have stated it is an issue, a threat to national security.

so many generals have talked about it :-*

Oh so now you are asking me about my position?  After categorically telling me what my position is?  I'll make a deal with you:  you quote me talking about the earth being 6,000 years old and I'll quote you talking about the earth exploding and being 1 trillion years old.   :)

Thanks for the link.  Haven't read it before.  Sounds pretty tenuous.  Including this:  “Climate change and water shortages may have triggered the drought that caused farmers to relocate to Syrian cities and triggered situations where youth were more susceptible to joining extremist groups,” said Marcus D. King, an expert on climate change and international affairs at George Washington University. The Islamic State, often referred to as ISIS, has seized scarce water resources to enhance its power and influence.

So, if global warming causes a water shortage, which then causes a farmer to relocate, a farmer's kid could possibly join ISIS, and ultimately carry out a terrorist attack in the U.S.  Good grief.   :-\

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

I didn't read what the Village Idiot posted.  I rarely do.   :)

Did you read somewhere that the Pentagon, military, and many generals say that global warming is a threat to our national security?  If so, can you link me?  

Of course you (pretend that you) didn't read it

That's one of many ways that you remain totally ignorant

The main way you remain totally ignorant is getting your news from Faux New, WND and NewsMax

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Oh so now you are asking me about my position?  After categorically telling me what my position is?  I'll make a deal with you:  you quote me talking about the earth being 6,000 years old and I'll quote you talking about the earth exploding and being 1 trillion years old.   :)

Thanks for the link.  Haven't read it before.  Sounds pretty tenuous.  Including this:  “Climate change and water shortages may have triggered the drought that caused farmers to relocate to Syrian cities and triggered situations where youth were more susceptible to joining extremist groups,” said Marcus D. King, an expert on climate change and international affairs at George Washington University. The Islamic State, often referred to as ISIS, has seized scarce water resources to enhance its power and influence.

So, if global warming causes a water shortage, which then causes a farmer to relocate, a farmer's kid could possibly join ISIS, and ultimately carry out a terrorist attack in the U.S.  Good grief.   :-\

The implication is that shortages of resources and worsening already critical situations would in turn have significant economic consequences in already impoverished areas. We know low SES is related to crime and one of the primary drivers of conflict in these areas is surrounding resources. It isn't a leap in logic to suggest that something with significant impact on precipitating factors in terrorist, criminal, rebel formation/growth could in fact intensify security concerns.

My question was rhetorical in nature, I know you are a young earth creationist because you not only posted ben steins stupid movie but supported it throughout the thread. So, if I misinterpreted your clear religious leanings and support for creationist screed, I apologize, however, you are.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Well this thread turned out to be an arrow in the knee.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The implication is that shortages of resources and worsening already critical situations would in turn have significant economic consequences in already impoverished areas. We know low SES is related to crime and one of the primary drivers of conflict in these areas is surrounding resources. It isn't a leap in logic to suggest that something with significant impact on precipitating factors in terrorist, criminal, rebel formation/growth could in fact intensify security concerns.

My question was rhetorical in nature, I know you are a young earth creationist because you not only posted ben steins stupid movie but supported it throughout the thread. So, if I misinterpreted your clear religious leanings and support for creationist screed, I apologize, however, you are.

This is pretty ridiculous.  It's something that should be discussed in a classroom or maybe a think tank, but not pushed by the president.  It's little more than fearmongering at this point IMO.

You clearly don't know what the heck I am, so stop making a fool of yourself.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Bum at the Beach

Necrosis

• Getbig V
This is pretty ridiculous.  It's something that should be discussed in a classroom or maybe a think tank, but not pushed by the president.  It's little more than fearmongering at this point IMO.

You clearly don't know what the heck I am, so stop making a fool of yourself.

It;s not fear mongering, it is something that is occurring right now, that will have massive impact on global water, food etc

It's called foresight.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
It;s not fear mongering, it is something that is occurring right now, that will have massive impact on global water, food etc

It's called foresight.

It's not occurring right now.  It's a theory (global warming causing droughts causing migration causing young people in the ME to join ISIS who then attack Americans at some point in the future). 

I'm all for planning for potential future problems, but I think this is more paranoia and political pandering more than foresight.  I don't trust those folks.   

Necrosis

• Getbig V
It's not occurring right now.  It's a theory (global warming causing droughts causing migration causing young people in the ME to join ISIS who then attack Americans at some point in the future). 

I'm all for planning for potential future problems, but I think this is more paranoia and political pandering more than foresight.  I don't trust those folks.   

If you can't see how something that can displace many people (particularly in coastal areas), reduce resources and cause increased storms/natural disasters, droughts etc  could increase these issues then we just won't agree.

Nothing out of line was said, it's the prevailing opinion in the military, pentagon and around the world.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
i swear fox news viewers are the dumbest fuckers walking the earth  :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
i swear fox news viewers are the dumbest fuckers walking the earth  :D

when you layer in the ones who also supplement their "knowledge" with World Net Daily and Newsmax you get a special kind of stupid like our willfully ignorant trollish moderator

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Of course you (pretend that you) didn't read it

That's one of many ways that you remain totally ignorant

The main way you remain totally ignorant is getting your news from Faux New, WND and NewsMax

Ignoring reality doesn't really change it.  But pretending it doesn't exist helps him feel better about himself.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

SMH...lmao.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
SMH...lmao.

You should have stayed on school Coach.

Your posts and overall ability to communicate is severely lacking.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

ISIS and Liberals are a National security threat not "climate change". Hope this helps.