Author Topic: Joel Osteen's mega-wealth  (Read 12527 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Joel Osteen's mega-wealth
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
Why does he need a home like this? Is it necessary? What purpose does it serve him? Why not give a lot of that money to feed the homeless? If Jesus Christ was alive today, would he approve of Joels extreme lifestyle to hoard material possessions?

X

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Why don't G&O religion threads happen on the religion board?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
Why does he need a home like this? Is it necessary? What purpose does it serve him? Why not give a lot of that money to feed the homeless? If Jesus Christ was alive today, would he approve of Joels extreme lifestyle to hoard material possessions?

Wow. Is that the preacher-man's house? Good question.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »
Wow. Is that the preacher-man's house? Good question.

yup. That is is home. As of 2012, his net worth is reportedly $56,508,500, and he lives with his family in a $10,500,000 mansion.

I can only imagine how many poor or low-middle class people give him money. Disgusting. This is what religion does. It warps your mind. The poor people are probably convinced that if they don't donate money to Joel and his church or his following, they will burn in Hell for all eternity. So, instead of feeding your children, I have to give my last remaining 50 dollars to Joel, because if I do not, I am deemed unworthy and will burn in Hell. This is what religion does. It takes seemingly rational people, and turns them into irrational beings.

Can you imagine a poor family giving Joel an extra 20 bucks.  ::) ::) How is it just, fair, and compassionate to exploit people for their money so he can live like this? I do not expect him to be poor and living on the street, but do you think JC would think a networth of 60 million dollars is really reasonable? Clearly, he can live a comfortable lifestyle on A LOT less. I do not think he is following the way of JC.

MOS, speak on this? What do you think Joel's justification for an extreme lifestyle? Isn't greed one of the 7 deadly sins? How can any preacher justify such a lifestyle?
X

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »
yup. That is is home. As of 2012, his net worth is reportedly $56,508,500, and he lives with his family in a $10,500,000 mansion.

I can only imagine how many poor or low-middle class people give him money. Disgusting. This is what religion does. It warps your mind. The poor people are probably convinced that if they don't donate money to Joel and his church or his following, they will burn in Hell for all eternity. So, instead of feeding your children, I have to give my last remaining 50 dollars to Joel, because if I do not, I am deemed unworthy and will burn in Hell. This is what religion does. It takes seemingly rational people, and turns them into irrational beings.

Can you imagine a poor family giving Joel an extra 20 bucks.  ::) ::) How is it just, fair, and compassionate to exploit people for their money so he can live like this? I do not expect him to be poor and living on the street, but do you think JC would think a networth of 60 million dollars is really reasonable? Clearly, he can live a comfortable lifestyle on A LOT less. I do not think he is following the way of JC.

MOS: Is Joel O. a crook, in a very big sense?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »

I cannot understand how any truly religious person can justify his luxurious lifestyle.

Then again, most theists are hypocrites, so it would not surprise me.  :D :D
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »

MOS, speak on this? What do you think Joel's justification for an extreme lifestyle? Isn't greed one of the 7 deadly sins? How can any preacher justify such a lifestyle?

Ok, I'll speak on Joel Osteen.  In short, I think he's a heretic.  I've watched various "sermons" he's given and the common denominator in each is that they lack scripture, the gospel message and basically contain a lot of the "Book of Joel Osteen" (not to be confused the OT minor prophet Joel).   Everything tends to be about self-help, twisted scripture (or no scripture) and pandering to the masses.  

The man is a master at not taking a firm stance.  He won't give firm answers to basic questions of Christian theology.  He doesn't want to offend anyone because that would lead to decreased church attendance and decreased tithes.  Everyone is good with the Osteens!!  And everyone is good with God!!

WRONG.

I've never heard him present the gospel and when he was questioned publically about God, the gospel, the trinity, etc....he avoided the question and walked around it.  I have no desire to belong to or visit Osteen's megachurch.  I have no desire to hear him speak publically.  I have no desire to buy his books.  I have no desire to seek his counsel.   I have no desire to participate in his prosperity gospel.

Now, God doesn't desire for his church to be destitute or struggle in all things in life.  There are clear examples of great men of faith in scripture who were blessed with tremendous wealth, but Christ also wants us to give and give generously of all we have (resources, time, skillset, etc...).  To seek his will for our lives...whatever that may entail.  The Osteen's message of universal prosperity is nonsense...it's self-serving and not of God.  God's church is formed from an army of meek and those humble in heart that seek his will for their lives.  

I do not agree with his life of excess, mountains of cash, self-help books or his trillion watt smile.   If the man came in humble surrender before God I'd feel differently....don't see that happening though.

Joel Osteen's church just feels like a monument unto himself.  I know people love him and I don't hate him, but I do hate his methods and non-committal, heretical teachings.  I honestly give no time to anything he does anymore....I've already seen enough.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
Ok, I'll speak on Joel Osteen.  In short, I think he's a heretic.  I've watched various "sermons" he's given and the common denominator in each is that they lack scripture, the gospel message and basically contain a lot of the "Book of Joel Osteen" (not to be confused the OT minor prophet Joel).   Everything tends to be about self-help, twisted scripture (or no scripture) and pandering to the masses.  

The man is a master at not taking a firm stance.  He won't give firm answers to basic questions of Christian theology.  He doesn't want to offend anyone because that would lead to decreased church attendance and decreased tithes.  Everyone is good with the Osteens!!  And everyone is good with God!!

WRONG.

I've never heard him present the gospel and when he was questioned publically about God, the gospel, the trinity, etc....he avoided the question and walked around it.  I have no desire to belong to or visit Osteen's megachurch.  I have no desire to hear him speak publically.  I have no desire to buy his books.  I have no desire to seek his counsel.   I have no desire to participate in his prosperity gospel.

Now, God doesn't desire for his church to be destitute or struggle in all things in life.  There are clear examples of great men of faith in scripture who were blessed with tremendous wealth, but Christ also wants us to give and give generously of all we have (resources, time, skillset, etc...).  To seek his will for our lives...whatever that may entail.  The Osteen's message of universal prosperity is nonsense...it's self-serving and not of God.  God's church is formed from an army of meek and those humble in heart that seek his will for their lives.  

I do not agree with his life of excess, mountains of cash, self-help books or his trillion watt smile.   If the man came in humble surrender before God I'd feel differently....don't see that happening though.

Joel Osteen's church just feels like a monument unto himself.  I know people love him and I don't hate him, but I do hate his methods and non-committal, heretical teachings.  I honestly give no time to anything he does anymore....I've already seen enough.

MOS, here is the Ultimate question:

When Joel dies, where will he find himself? Will he find himself partying it up with God in Heaven? Or will be be banished to Hell? Based on what you know of scripture, where will Joel go?

MOS, provide an honest assessment.
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
Re: Joel Osteen's mega-wealth
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »
MOS, here is the Ultimate question:

When Joel dies, where will he find himself? Will he find himself partying it up with God in Heaven? Or will be be banished to Hell? Based on what you know of scripture, where will Joel go?

Based on his seemingly non-committal attitude towards scripture, the nature of God and most importantly the gospel of Jesus Christ I would say he's not a Christian.   Now I don't have all the information, but despite his trillion watt smile and immense charm his words don't align with Christ.

I would suggest he have a huge come to Jesus moment and reform his thinking or he will end up facing God's judgment and be separated from him in an eternal hell.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
Based on his seemingly non-committal attitude towards scripture, the nature of God and most importantly the gospel of Jesus Christ I would say he's not a Christian.   Now I don't have all the information, but despite his trillion watt smile and immense charm his words don't align with Christ.

I would suggest he have a huge come to Jesus moment and reform his thinking or he will end up facing God's judgment and be separated from him in an eternal hell.

So, its not necessarily the money that makes him not align with Jesus, but his words?

You would be okay with Joel being FILTHY rich, as long as he aligned with Jesus? That still sounds hypocritical. I mean, no one is saying he has to be poor, but come on, look at his house! Even if his words did align with Christ, are you saying there is justification for his EXTREMELY luxurious lifestyle?
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:37:14 AM »
So, its not necessarily the money that makes him not align with Jesus, but his words?

You would be okay with Joel being FILTHY rich, as long as he aligned with Jesus? That still sounds hypocritical. I mean, no one is saying he has to be poor, but come on, look at his house! Even if his words did align with Christ, are you saying there is justification for his EXTREMELY luxurious lifestyle?

What I posted above:

His life of excess appears to be built upon a platform of heretical teachings so I don't approve of either.  

God blesses each of us in different ways, but personally I think financial blessings should be kept rather hidden...that a more humble, public presentation is preferable despite what's in the bank.  Nothing wrong with money.  Nothing wrong with earning money.   I'm a firm believer that the more we're blessed with the more we can give back to others.  An overtly, ostentatious life of excess.....yes, I have a problem with that.....it becomes an idol of sorts.        

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
What I posted above:

His life of excess appears to be built upon a platform of heretical teachings so I don't approve of either.  

God blesses each of us in different ways, but personally I think financial blessings should be kept rather hidden...that a more humble, public presentation is preferable despite what's in the bank.  Nothing wrong with money.  Nothing wrong with earning money.   I'm a firm believer that the more we're blessed with the more we can give back to others.  An overtly, ostentatious life of excess.....yes, I have a problem with that.....it becomes an idol of sorts.        

Well, in my opinion, what you posted above really did not tease apart the super wealth from the scripture, i.e., whether or not its okay to be super rich, as long as you follow scripture. But you addressed it above with the humble statement, i.e., nothing wrong with money, but an excess of it can become an idol of sorts.

To me, as in most things in life, it sounds like you're saying its about moderation and balance. Of course its fine to earn money and live comfortable. However, on the other hand, is there really a need for a 11 million dollar mansion (especially if youre a preacher of JC and god)?
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
Well, in my opinion, what you posted above really did not tease apart the super wealth from the scripture, i.e., whether or not its okay to be super rich, as long as you follow scripture. But you addressed it above with the humble statement, i.e., nothing wrong with money, but an excess of it can become an idol of sorts.

To me, as in most things in life, it sounds like you're saying its about moderation and balance. Of course its fine to earn money and live comfortable. However, on the other hand, is there really a need for a 11 million dollar mansion (especially if youre a preacher of JC and god)?

What is it you're wanting me to say exactly?  I'm not sure.

Here again is what I posted above:

There are clear examples of great men of faith in scripture who were blessed with tremendous wealth, but Christ also wants us to give and give generously of all we have (resources, time, skillset, etc...).  To seek his will for our lives...whatever that may entail. 

Job, David and Solomon were all men of great faith that were also blessed with great wealth; yet, Christ publically criticized the Pharisees for their ostentacious displays and greed and indulgences.

Other scripture about wealth and money:

Matthew 19:24
24 I’ll say it again—it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

1 Timothy 6:10
10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

A man can be financially wealthy and aligned with Christ at the same time, but often money and power corrupt.....scripture warns of this.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »

Job, David and Solomon were all men of great faith that were also blessed with great wealth; yet, Christ publically criticized the Pharisees for their ostentacious displays and greed and indulgences.

24 I’ll say it again—it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

A man can be financially wealthy and aligned with Christ at the same time, but often money and power corrupt.....scripture warns of this.

God damn, I just said that you said it above!!!

So, it seems like a guy can be super rich, live in a 11 million dollar mansion, as long as he is aligned with christ, is not corrupted, and gives to charity?

Can a man be super rich and still be aligned with Christ and not corrupt? That seems like a tall order.

MOS, if you won the lottery, say, 500 million dollars, how much would you keep for your own personal pleasure, gain and profit? And how much would you give away?

Speak on this!!
X

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »

+1

nicely said

:)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Shall not all these take up a parable against him, and a taunting proverb against him, and say, Woe to him that increaseth that which is not his! how long? and to him that ladeth himself with thick clay! - Habakkuk 2:6

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 04:17:56 PM »
Good call IMO, MOS. I've watched a few of his shows, and had the same impression.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 06:13:55 AM »
God damn, I just said that you said it above!!!

So, it seems like a guy can be super rich, live in a 11 million dollar mansion, as long as he is aligned with christ, is not corrupted, and gives to charity?

Can a man be super rich and still be aligned with Christ and not corrupt? That seems like a tall order.

MOS, if you won the lottery, say, 500 million dollars, how much would you keep for your own personal pleasure, gain and profit? And how much would you give away?

Speak on this!!

Sorry dude, I read fast and sometimes miss intent.

So in regards to your lottery question.  I've actually thought about this situation a little bit.

Most likely I'd give the majority of it away to various churches, missionary organizations, charities, medical research programs, random folks/families in need, my family, my friends and some coworkers.

I'd ensure that my wife, daughter, parents, in-laws, grandparents and siblings were financially taken care of....hopefully for the rest of their lives.

If there was something left I'd probably take the family to Jerusalem, Rome, Paris....top of my head.  

In general my lifestyle would be kept pretty mellow.....nothing lavish or over the top....not my thing.  I'd continue to work, but maybe in more limited fashion....devote more time to the faith, church, outreach, missionary work, hobbies, etc....

I would probably hire a regular maid service, lawn service and I'd get the bulk of my clothes dry cleaned every week.....that'd probably be my "big, fun spend".

Reality LOL, I'm not going to be a lottery winner and I'll just do the best I can with what God blesses me with.  ;)

What would you do with a 500 million lottery win?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
Sorry dude, I read fast and sometimes miss intent.

So in regards to your lottery question.  I've actually thought about this situation a little bit.

Most likely I'd give the majority of it away to various churches, missionary organizations, charities, medical research programs, random folks/families in need, my family, my friends and some coworkers.

I'd ensure that my wife, daughter, parents, in-laws, grandparents and siblings were financially taken care of....hopefully for the rest of their lives.

If there was something left I'd probably take the family to Jerusalem, Rome, Paris....top of my head.  

In general my lifestyle would be kept pretty mellow.....nothing lavish or over the top....not my thing.  I'd continue to work, but maybe in more limited fashion....devote more time to the faith, church, outreach, missionary work, hobbies, etc....

I would probably hire a regular maid service, lawn service and I'd get the bulk of my clothes dry cleaned every week.....that'd probably be my "big, fun spend".

Reality LOL, I'm not going to be a lottery winner and I'll just do the best I can with what God blesses me with.  ;)

What would you do with a 500 million lottery win?

Sounds reasonable.

The first thing I would do is give money to my family and friends. Obviously, my parents and brother (though, my brother and I do not get along), and one cousin. I have 6 best friends Id give a hefty amount to.

I would donate an extensive amount of money to children's mental health, particularly in the area of child abuse and trauma. I would also donate money to medical research programs and certain organizations. Though, you have to be careful about this. Certain organizations rarely give your donation to the actual cause. For instance, in some organizations, if you donate 50 bucks, the actual organization itself may only see like 5 bucks. Many CEOs fill their fat pockets. There is much information on this.

For myself, I'd pretty much keep living like I always do. Sure, Id buy a nicer place and maybe take a vacation. But I would 100% continue to work in my field, since my occupation is also my passion and hobby. Like you, many of the things I hate to do (cooking and laundry) would be taken care of by other people. Other than that, I really wouldn't become a rich douchebag. Its just not my personality.
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »
Sounds reasonable.

The first thing I would do is give money to my family and friends. Obviously, my parents and brother (though, my brother and I do not get along), and one cousin. I have 6 best friends Id give a hefty amount to.

I would donate an extensive amount of money to children's mental health, particularly in the area of child abuse and trauma. I would also donate money to medical research programs and certain organizations. Though, you have to be careful about this. Certain organizations rarely give your donation to the actual cause. For instance, in some organizations, if you donate 50 bucks, the actual organization itself may only see like 5 bucks. Many CEOs fill their fat pockets. There is much information on this.

For myself, I'd pretty much keep living like I always do. Sure, Id buy a nicer place and maybe take a vacation. But I would 100% continue to work in my field, since my occupation is also my passion and hobby. Like you, many of the things I hate to do (cooking and laundry) would be taken care of by other people. Other than that, I really wouldn't become a rich douchebag. Its just not my personality.

Part of me is also uncomfortable with the idea of suddenly having that much money at my disposal. 

I would hope I'm grounded enough to make good choices....never know though....people go wild sometimes LOL.

Yep, it's shame when people with compassionate hearts and good intentions truly want to donate their time and money and the money isn't utilized properly or only a fraction of it.  Same can be said in churches.....just cause it's a church doesn't mean those handling the money are completely on the "up and up".

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
I don't think hes a Heretic. Hes just very much, An................" ENTRY LEVEL " Pastor. I follow him on Facebook and he does Post Bible scripture here and there. Don't know if it was Him personally BUT, he sent me a friend request on facebook, I accepted it and about a week later, he or whoever it was sent me of picture of an infant with a scar across its face, asking if I could  " DONATE " money too give so the infant could have surgery, sayin that his ministry takes care of an Orphanage in Argentina. I told him or whoever it was, I couldn't because I wasn't working at the moment so I didn't have money. Im back and forth about Joel osteen, wondering if he IS a " wolve in sheeps clothing ". With all the money he has, he can at least buy me a car. Im "  sick " (Mentally ill ) and money for Clothes.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
Part of me is also uncomfortable with the idea of suddenly having that much money at my disposal. 

I would hope I'm grounded enough to make good choices....never know though....people go wild sometimes LOL.

first i would donate a minimum 10% off the top right off the bat (tithe) .. second, pay off all debts... third, buy a house.. fourth, pay for my wife to go back to school...  what ever is left over...  just be generous with it..

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »
first i would donate a minimum 10% off the top right off the bat (tithe) .. second, pay off all debts... third, buy a house.. fourth, pay for my wife to go back to school...  what ever is left over...  just be generous with it..

I know many Christians grapple with the decision to tithe from gross versus net but I believe scripture would definitely reinforce your statement.

Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase - Proverbs 3:9

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »
Tithing is not something I practice as a christian anymore. I used to tithe religiously from my gross pay, plus offerings besides, until the Holy Spirit led me in truth and showed me that giving 10% of my earned money was never God's intention. First I felt a little uneasy when the offering plate would come round, but after a while, the 'traditions of men' did not bother me anymore and I was free and at peace.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 08:36:53 AM »
Tithing is not something I practice as a christian anymore. I used to tithe religiously from my gross pay, plus offerings besides, until the Holy Spirit led me in truth and showed me that giving 10% of my earned money was never God's intention. First I felt a little uneasy when the offering plate would come round, but after a while, the 'traditions of men' did not bother me anymore and I was free and at peace.

Well when you look at OT scripture the Israelites gave way more than 10%....more in the neighborhood of 35%.  I've read over 40%.

I have no problem if folks give 10% or use that as guide, but often times folks can give more than 10% and should if the Spirit leads them to do so.  

I just give generously as Christ instructed....I draw a great deal of joy from doing so.  

I keep my giving between me and the Lord though...only audience I need.

2 Corinthians 9:7
7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

The idea of giving via compulsion is what strikes me.  Certainly a person can routinely give and do so with a genuine desire to give, but that notion of compulsion often cools the giver's heart.   The Lord didn't intend for us to give with the idea of, "C'MON YOU DOGS!!  GIVE!! GIVE!! GIVE!! Or......buuuuuuuuuuuurn."