Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
May 25, 2018, 11:06:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 86532 times)
DroppingPlates
Competitors II
Getbig V

Team Pocahontas

« Reply #7600 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »

Hopefully I'm still able to train with decent intensity at the age of 60...
Report to moderator   Logged
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #7601 on: May 15, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »

Hopefully I'm still able to train with decent intensity at the age of 60...

If you have a serious work ethic then yes. I find the drug users start dropping out well before 60. Various reasons. Sometimes it's health, finances or even arrests.  At 60 many many start having health scares like heart concerns, serious joint issues or even an  enlarged prostate. My gym there are a lot of older men. Most train like old men but there are exceptions. On guy is 73 I believe and he still trains really hard with heavy weights. Surely an exception to the rule. He has a youthful speaking voice too.

I find for me at 60 I stopped doing certain movements like the bar bench press and press behind the neck. I don't miss them. I use dumbbells or the standard military press for shoulders. I squatted with a bar for over 40 years. Now I fell better results with the deep range of motion leg press and dumbbell squats performed with a fairly straight back and sinking it. I really think the hardest exercise I have ever done are dumbbell squats. I don't know my name after them and feel close to death. I know guys that use 315lbs with a bar think how can I find dumbbells heavy enough?  Believe me, incredible strong guys would be shot holding two 150lbs dumbbells trying to get 12 reps. I see guys deadlifting the dumbbells thinking they are doing a dumbbell squat. That's not the motion. Get that ass really low as you squat and keep the back fairly vertical holding the dumbbells at your sides.  

I have been a high intensity guy my whole life doing sets to failure and low sets. I've been putting a lot of thought into high set endurance type training. I'm hesitant to make the change because I vainly say I look good for my age and I speculate high intensity is the reason. Then again who knows?  
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!