Author Topic: If you currently donate to churches....please...  (Read 6581 times)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Re: If you currently donate to churches....please...
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
Come see what we pay in Canada then tell me who's paying too much in taxes...
How's the medical there?  Aren't prescriptions even free?
N

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
Quote from: Croatch link=topic=574137.msg8091806#msg8091806 date=14341441[b
[/b]77]
How's the medical there?  Aren't prescriptions even free?

Nope.
The medical is not perfect but can expect to wait 12ish hours at the emergency. But that is free.

Lots of walk in clinics, free also, but not if you need meds.
?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 02:26:17 PM »
Nothing is "free" unless you're too "poor" to pay taxes. And when the govt starts trying to make things "fair", "free", "affordable", etc quality goes down the toilet.
A

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »
Nope.
The medical is not perfect but can expect to wait 12ish hours at the emergency. But that is free.

Lots of walk in clinics, free also, but not if you need meds.

I've always found it funny how so many idiot fucking liberals paint Canada as this health care utopia simply because they're conditioned to think that way. 

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
I view most old people as half retarded bad drivers.  They were a generation who was taught to just listen and not question.  With the Internet and many free thinkers, religion is on a decline.  Back in the day, few would question things.  Imagine what the church would have to lose if God was someday disproved by science.  I guess a few billion dollars is all.
At one time I believed in God, then I grew up and realized it was just straight bullshit.  How adults believe in this is mind blowing....uhhh, but it's in the book.  Yikes.
All religions are based on the same basic principle; be nice to those who think like you and follow the same bullshit god and ideas so your survival and the survival of the group is assured... and convert or kill everyone else so you will inherit more territory. Needless to say, it s only an animal behavior.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »
How about taxes?

I'm much more bothered by the govt taking more and more of our money via taxes.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »

I'm among those who pay higher rates on personal income and investment income now than I did years ago. And I own a small business and also have a trust to shield myself from things like lawsuits, as do most of the clients I work for. Trusts and corps are also taxed highly in the US, and I'm often taxed more than once on some of the same money.

http://www.atr.org/full-list-ACA-tax-hikes-a6996

4. Obamacare Surtax on Investment Income (Tax hike of $123 billion/takes effect Jan. 2013): Creation of a new, 3.8 percent surtax on investment income earned in households making at least $250,000 ($200,000 single). This would result in the following top tax rates on investment income: Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 87-93

Capital Gains

Dividends

Other*

2011-2012

15%

15%

35%

2013+ (current law)

23.8%

43.4%

43.4%

2013+ (Obama budget)

23.8%

23.8%

43.4%

http://www.wsj.com/articles/top-20-of-earners-pay-84-of-income-tax-1428674384

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/15/feds-tax-take-hits-all-time-high/?page=all
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
Depends how you look at it.  I was asked to repair a lath & stucco ceiling in a church and I quoted about 1/2 my normal price.  I asked the Padre, in return for the discount, to just mention in his weekly sermon that Tapeworm's Building Maintenance is Jesus' Choice for all your building maintenance needs.  Also that Tapeworm's  Backhoe and Freight Services come with a 100% demon free guarantee, and that we service nearly all makes and models of parishioner's daughters.

I just like that you're Tapeworm to the outside world as well.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
I haven't been to church in 12 years. To be honest I've donated hundreds of dollars to the church as a child growing up. In the past I've tried to get the church to donate money to someone i knew in need but they declined. They can accept millions of dollars in donations for the pastor but act shady when you ask for something.

What the hell were you doing as a child growing up that earned you hundreds of dollars?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »
I haven't been to church in 12 years. To be honest I've donated hundreds of dollars to the church as a child growing up. In the past I've tried to get the church to donate money to someone i knew in need but they declined. They can accept millions of dollars in donations for the pastor but act shady when you ask for something.

Jared Leto-Jesus church or Cornel West-Jesus church?

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
must be all old people donating. When that generation is gone, it's not looking good for churches...

Church membership is down, but it's not just going to dry up.

Religion is indoctrination. Parents believe, which makes kids believe. Every now and again as the child grows up, they see things differently and they move beyond it.

Being a decent person to those around you isn't something that only religious people get to claim.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »
I never undersstood how poor or low class people donate to church and the church willingly accepts.

Maybe they think if they donate to their church, "God" will bless with them millions of dollars in return.  :-\
X

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
I never undersstood how poor or low middle class people donate to church and the church willingly accepts.

Maybe they think if they donate to their church, "God" will bless with them millions of dollars in return.  :-\

That is very common.

Look up Prosperity Theology.

I will copy and paste some short bits from wikipedia, but there's a lot more out there on it.

Prosperity theology (sometimes referred to as the prosperity gospel, the health and wealth gospel, or the gospel of success)[A] is a Christian religious doctrine that financial blessing is the will of God for Christians, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to Christian ministries will increase one's material wealth. Based on non-traditional interpretations of the Bible, often with emphasis on the Book of Malachi, the doctrine views the Bible as a contract between God and humans: if humans have faith in God, he will deliver his promises of security and prosperity. Confessing these promises to be true is perceived as an act of faith, which God will honor.

The doctrine emphasizes the importance of personal empowerment, proposing that it is God's will for his people to be happy. The atonement (reconciliation with God) is interpreted to include the alleviation of sickness and poverty, which are viewed as curses to be broken by faith. This is believed to be achieved through visualization and positive confession, and is often taught in mechanical and contractual terms.

It was during the Healing Revivals of the 1950s that prosperity theology first came to prominence in the United States, although commentators have linked the origins of its theology to the New Thought movement which began in the 1800s. The prosperity teaching later figured prominently in the Word of Faith movement and 1980s televangelism. In the 1990s and 2000s, it was adopted by influential leaders in the Charismatic Movement and promoted by Christian missionaries throughout the world, sometimes leading to the establishment of mega-churches. Prominent leaders in the development of prosperity theology include E. W. Kenyon, Oral Roberts, A. A. Allen, Robert Tilton, T. L. Osborn, Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Copeland, Reverend Ike and Kenneth Hagin.

Churches in which the prosperity gospel is taught are often non-denominational and usually directed by a sole pastor or leader, although some have developed multi-church networks that bear similarities to denominations. Such churches typically set aside extended time to teach about giving and request donations from the congregation, encouraging positive speech and faith. Prosperity churches often teach about financial responsibility, though some journalists and academics have criticized their advice in this area as misleading.

Prosperity theology has been criticized by leaders in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, as well as other Christian denominations. These leaders maintain that it is irresponsible, promotes idolatry, and is contrary to scripture. Some critics have proposed that prosperity theology cultivates authoritarian organizations, with the leaders controlling the lives of the adherents. The doctrine has also become popular in South Korea; academics have attributed some of its success to its parallels with the traditional shamanistic culture. Prosperity theology has drawn followers from the American middle class and poor, and has been likened to the cargo cult phenomenon, traditional African religion, and black liberation theology.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2015, 06:43:31 PM »
That is very common.

I will copy and paste some short bits from wikipedia, but there's a lot more out there on it.

Prosperity theology (sometimes referred to as the prosperity gospel, the health and wealth gospel, or the gospel of success)[A] is a Christian religious doctrine that financial blessing is the will of God for Christians, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to Christian ministries will increase one's material wealth. Based on non-traditional interpretations of the Bible, often with emphasis on the Book of Malachi, the doctrine views the Bible as a contract between God and humans: if humans have faith in God, he will deliver his promises of security and prosperity. Confessing these promises to be true is perceived as an act of faith, which God will honor.

The doctrine emphasizes the importance of personal empowerment, proposing that it is God's will for his people to be happy. The atonement (reconciliation with God) is interpreted to include the alleviation of sickness and poverty, which are viewed as curses to be broken by faith. This is believed to be achieved through visualization and positive confession, and is often taught in mechanical and contractual terms.

It was during the Healing Revivals of the 1950s that prosperity theology first came to prominence in the United States, although commentators have linked the origins of its theology to the New Thought movement which began in the 1800s. The prosperity teaching later figured prominently in the Word of Faith movement and 1980s televangelism. In the 1990s and 2000s, it was adopted by influential leaders in the Charismatic Movement and promoted by Christian missionaries throughout the world, sometimes leading to the establishment of mega-churches. Prominent leaders in the development of prosperity theology include E. W. Kenyon, Oral Roberts, A. A. Allen, Robert Tilton, T. L. Osborn, Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Copeland, Reverend Ike and Kenneth Hagin.

Churches in which the prosperity gospel is taught are often non-denominational and usually directed by a sole pastor or leader, although some have developed multi-church networks that bear similarities to denominations. Such churches typically set aside extended time to teach about giving and request donations from the congregation, encouraging positive speech and faith. Prosperity churches often teach about financial responsibility, though some journalists and academics have criticized their advice in this area as misleading.

Prosperity theology has been criticized by leaders in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, as well as other Christian denominations. These leaders maintain that it is irresponsible, promotes idolatry, and is contrary to scripture. Some critics have proposed that prosperity theology cultivates authoritarian organizations, with the leaders controlling the lives of the adherents. The doctrine has also become popular in South Korea; academics have attributed some of its success to its parallels with the traditional shamanistic culture. Prosperity theology has drawn followers from the American middle class and poor, and has been likened to the cargo cult phenomenon, traditional African religion, and black liberation theology.

Just no end to religious retardation.

Since you mentioned Osteen, how come Christians haven't condemned him yet for being a fag?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 06:48:54 PM »
That is very common.

Oh, brotha, tell that to the poor people. God will not help them with their financial, social, psychological, or any other problem.

I swear, religion cripples one's mind.
X

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
Oh, brotha, tell that to the poor people. God will not help them with their financial, social, psychological, or any other problem.

I swear, religion cripples one's mind.

So sad you believe that, I will pray for you.  :-\

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
So sad you believe that, I will pray for you.  :-\

Shove it up your ass.
X

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »

Since you mentioned Osteen, how come Christians haven't condemned him yet for being a fag?

Well, to be fair, I was just copying that article.

I am not really specifying anything about it.

But, to be honest, it does fit the latent homosexuality mold.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »

Insane.
Defend that religious twits...
?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »

Even when I was a young churchgoer, it bothered me that the full-time pastor was wealthy. Now this guy's income is based entirely on donations - and he's totally showing up his f'n flock. I'd mention it to friends, and they'd be so quick to defend him. People are so willfully deluded.

When a twelve year-old kid thinks maybe your Rolex and Benz are not quite What Jesus Would have Done, might wanna reconsider your lifestyle.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 07:19:20 PM »
Even when I was a young churchgoer, it bothered me that the full-time pastor was wealthy. Now this guy's income is based entirely on donations - and he's totally showing up his f'n flock. I'd mention it to friends, and they'd be so quick to defend him. People are so willfully deluded.

When a twelve year-old kid thinks maybe your Rolex and Benz are not quite What Jesus Would have Done, might wanna reconsider your lifestyle.

Joels networth is currently estimated to be at 56 million dollars.

And, yes, religious fools will defend him. As I have always said, it poisons your mind.

Jesus would look pretty badass rocking a rolex and driving around in a benz.  :D :D
X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
Joels networth is currently estimated to be at 56 million dollars.

And, yes, religious fools will defend him. As I have always said, it poisons your mind.

Jesus would look pretty badass rocking a rolex and driving around in a benz.  :D :D

WHAT FUCKING THEORY?!

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2015, 07:28:17 PM »
Shove it up your ass.

That's just the devil inside you talking. Remember Jesus loves you regardless.