Author Topic: What is your net worth?  (Read 17727 times)

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
Re: What is your net worth?
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2015, 09:59:57 AM »
Coach is a multi millionaire.

THE BEEF

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
The Millionaire Next Door Kindle Edition
by Thomas J. Stanley Ph.D.

http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Thomas-Stanley-Ph-D-ebook/dp/B00CLT31D6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1436979453&sr=1-1&keywords=the+millionaire+next+door

I read that book.

There's a huge difference between someone who managed to collect a million dollar in assets over their lifetime as opposed to someone who is a real millionaire per se....the book focuses on the first element....a rather successful middle class average Joe who is also frugal and good at saving.

My advice if you want to become a "real" millionaire is to focus on other elements than frugality which that book promotes....entrepreneur ial spirit is what makes the real millionaires.
S

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
Coach is a flat out MM baller. $50, 000 a month and a range rover

THE BEEF

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
I read that book.

There's a huge difference between someone who managed to collect a million dollar in assets over their lifetime as opposed to someone who is a real millionaire per se....the book focuses on the first element....a rather successful middle class average Joe who is also frugal and good at saving.

My advice if you want to become a "real" millionaire is to focus on other elements than frugality which that book promotes....entrepreneur ial spirit is what makes the real millionaires.

I agree.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »
A "real millionaire" has a net worth of at least 7 figures, period. Whether he's a small business owner, farmer, hedge fund manager, or whatever.

An "entrepreneur" whose assets minus debts do not quite ad up to 7 figures is not a millionaire, even if he makes many millions a year and blows through it and basically lives paycheck to paycheck, like many athletes and entertainers here in the US do.

It's all about what you do with the money after you make it that determines whether you're wealthy or not.

I read that book.

A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
I was broke as hell after HS during my college years, was barely making it. Did a little better during several years of military service. I have never forgotten what it feels like to be broke and living paycheck to paycheck, barely making it.

Started to figure things out by my mid 20's. Got my first "real" job at 25 in consumer lending, came into a low 6 fig windfall at about that time, learned over time how to invest by trial and error, reading everything I could, talking to people who knew how to invest, and mostly by just doing it.

Eventually started my own mortgage company in my early 30's, sold it after a couple of years for a nice little sum, then got into the field of investing money for other people, which makes me a very good living.

Came into another low 6-fig sum a little while later selling a few properties I had accumulated during a time when the local real estate market was red hot. Invested that also.

Came into a VERY nice sum of oil money a few years back that still trickles in nicely monthly - at least when oil is expensive enough for the oil company to bother with pulling out of the ground. I don't have to borrow anymore, hopefully not ever again. I invest all of this money also.

I still fear someday being broke again - I often have nightmares that I'm losing money or still in college working that little job that paid not a whole lot more than min wage.

I live a very comfortable life, but I do not squander much money. I just cannot do it. I prefer to pile it up.

I have a few wealthy friends who live like this.  My neighbor is a huge investment guy and makes about half a million a year easily.  He owns a house smaller than mine and drives a 2002 Honda Civic.  However, he does have a few toys (boat, motorcycle, 4-wheeler).  This guy doesn't even care about money, he has that much.  I discuss money with him every now and then, he has some incredible ideas.  The only time he has ever borrowed money is when he bought his house.  Everything else he paid cash money.

This guy was selling wheels and tires out of the back of his truck in high school.  He's always been good with business.  Not a care in the world, just works and enjoys life.  You would never know he was worth millions if you met him.  In fact, most people have no idea he even has money.

Compare him to 95% of my other friends/family that live paychech to paycheck.  A good friend of mine makes a decent living with no kids.  The guy is broke as hell while making 150k a year.  I've never understood how this is possible.  He has like 3 cars and a 5 bedroom house all to himself.  Always worried about money and stressed about his job.  Fuck all that.

I found a happy medium.  I have some cool stuff, but nothing crazy.  Hoping to retire young.

Almost all American's that i know well are terrible with money.  Why worry about saving money when you can finance and overpay?  Lol  

8)
A

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
More than 50 cent's.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »
A "real millionaire" has a net worth of at least 7 figures, period. Whether he's a small business owner, farmer, hedge fund manager, or whatever.

An "entrepreneur" whose assets minus debts do not quite ad up to 7 figures is not a millionaire, even if he makes many millions a year and blows through it and basically lives paycheck to paycheck, like many athletes and entertainers here in the US do.

It's all about what you do with the money after you make it that determines whether you're wealthy or not.

The book covers this.  It says that statistically, for various reasons, a plumber in America is more likely to retire with a net worth of one million USD or more than a surgeon.

The book also says that most, not all, millionaires in America are business owners.  However, not all business owners are millionaires and owning a business does not guarantee that you'll ever be a millionaire.

Other interesting statistics mentioned in the book are that most millionaires in America own their home, meaning they don't have mortgage.  Also, most millionaires in America invest passively...because actively managed investments are too expensive and time consuming...time and money that they would rather put into other, more important matters.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

No....the 7 figure is absolutely pointless, If you have amassed a million yet your earnings are average that million doesn't hold as much value.

I started out as a financial advisor, I came across a lot of asset rich cash poor individuals who lived in nice neighborhoods in big houses...but at their old age the income element was very low. I can tell they were struggling to make ends meet and if you have a pile of cash with low/no income at 70 you've no idea whtwher this will need to last you 6 yrs or another 25yrs.

The Millionaire Next Door preaches a formula which could easily lead many to the above scenario.

I wasn't talking in my example about Entrepreneurs riddled with debts...I'm saying stop earning and don't focus on saving and put your efforts instead into making money in tangible and sustainable amounts.
S

geeizback

• Getbig II
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
I used to be skint

but a week and a half go I had a major spot of luck. a nigerian prince is sorting me out a few quid on a business deal. can't say too much but within two or three weeks I will have £8.333m in my bank. I don't want to gloat but who said death only brings misery eh?

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:43 PM »
If you're worth 7 figures, you're a millionaire.

Of course you can be in a situation where you don't have much cash flow even though you've got a relatively high net worth. And being a millionaire ain't what it used to be, of course. It doesn't go as far as it did a generation or 2 ago.

I've been an advisor for 11 years. Most people simply spend too much money and live too high. Most people are a paycheck or 2 away from BK, no matter how much they're making.

By the time you retire, you should have all debt paid off and have a big enough nest egg that you only need to pull 4-5% or so a year out to live on. You need to have health insurance, at least several months of emergency savings, etc. If you're used to living on $400-500k a year, you'll likely need at least $10 mil liquid saved up.

To get to that point, you have to be disciplined. Most people are fucked in that regard. I could retire now and live a much more extravagant and wasteful lifestyle if I chose. But I enjoy what I do and am obsessive about it, and find wasting money to be dumb.

90% of all businesses fail, usually due to a lack of cash flow. It's very risky, nowhere near a guarantee. I have built my business with lots of hard work and a little good luck, but it didn't happen overnight. The get rich quick fantasy is just that for just about everyone.

I know guys who sold their businesses for 8-9 figures after decades of building them with lots of hard work, often paying themselves a relatively modest living along the way. A buddy of mine is the sole heir to a 4th generation oil company worth just under a billion that has taken nearly 100 years to get where it is.

The guy who starts a software company or record company out of his basement with $10k and sells it a year or 2 later for 9 figures or more is a very small percentage of the population. Most of us have to work many years to build most or all of our wealth, and many people must do it by working for someone else - which is not necessarily a bad thing if you're high enough up on someone else's totem pole to be making at least a good living or hopefully big bucks.

A guy who retires from a chemical plant who may have never made much more than $150k a year, who has no debt, doesn't try to live like the Sultan of Brunei, and has $3 mil in retirement savings he's wanting to roll over to me is every bit the multi-millionaire that the rapper is who earned $200 mil but blew just about everything and is down to his last $3 mil. And I'd rather have the first guy as a client, because he's going to listen to me and not waste my time and blow that nestegg like the rapper will. I'll still be making money off the first guy after several years, and he'll be even richer, while the rapper will have gone through that last 3 mil.

No....the 7 figure is absolutely pointless, If you have amassed a million yet your earnings are average that million doesn't hold as much value.

I started out as a financial advisor, I came across a lot of asset rich cash poor individuals who lived in nice neighborhoods in big houses...but at their old age the income element was very low. I can tell they were struggling to make ends meet and if you have a pile of cash with low/no income at 70 you've no idea whtwher this will need to last you 6 yrs or another 25yrs.

The Millionaire Next Door preaches a formula which could easily lead many to the above scenario.

I wasn't talking in my example about Entrepreneurs riddled with debts...I'm saying stop earning and don't focus on saving and put your efforts instead into making money in tangible and sustainable amounts.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2015, 02:39:36 PM »
Yeah, I read that one, "The Millionaire Mind", and at least one or 2 others in that series.

They were among the best books I ever read, and really taught me a great deal about personal finance.

I do have a more active investment style, but that's mainly because that is my actual profession.

Such books are clearly over the heads of most getbiggers, who think you're "rich" if you have little or no net worth, but can manage to lease a 3-series Bimmer or Hummer and put $10k of jewelry on a credit card at Christmas time.

The book covers this.  It says that statistically, for various reasons, a plumber in America is more likely to retire with a net worth of one million USD or more than a surgeon.

The book also says that most, not all, millionaires in America are business owners.  However, not all business owners are millionaires and owning a business does not guarantee that you'll ever be a millionaire.

Other interesting statistics mentioned in the book are that most millionaires in American own their home, meaning they don't have mortgage.  Also, most millionaires in America invest passively...because actively managed investments are too expensive and time consuming...time and money that they would rather put into other, more important matters.
A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
Millionaire next door was good. So was rich dad poor dad.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
Who cares about any of your stories.  You will just all die anyways and your plastic toys will be sold off or end up in a landfill and nobody will care.  :D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »
Millionaire next door was good. So was rich dad poor dad.
Millionaires don't need to read a shitty book to learn how to make money.

Not that it matters anyways.  A man's worth should be measured in character anyways, not money.