Author Topic: Time To Move Into A House...Any Suggestions  (Read 17235 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Time To Move Into A House...Any Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
Then I will chalk it up to dumb fucking luck.

If you do the math, that's all I'm talking about... In the USA, on AVERAGE, across the country, houses double in value every 30 years.

That's just what the math works out to.

If you made more, then that's great... I'm happy for you, but again, that's not the norm.

If you take odd times like the crazy housing market time from 2002-2007. That was abnormal, but the average, for over a century has been that house values double over 30 years.

That's just the numbers.

It's easy to look it up.

No doubt you are right about the average return on investment in real estate across the country. To be honest, I have very little experience with poor or negative housing markets, which certainly bring down the average. Some of my family still lives in Albion Michigan, which is too far from Detroit to commute. Like with Detroit though, the market value of these homes is pathetic. Some are actually priced at low double digit figures and still don't sell. One house I was considering buying there before the market crashed is currently priced at 1/3 of what it was when I first looked at it.

In most big cities....where jobs are plentiful and pay well, the housing market is very robust.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »
No doubt you are right about the average return on investment in real estate across the country. To be honest, I have very little experience with poor or negative housing markets, which certainly bring down the average. Some of my family still lives in Albion Michigan, which is too far from Detroit to commute. Like with Detroit though, the market value of these homes is pathetic. Some are actually priced at low double digit figures and still don't sell. One house I was considering buying there before the market crashed is currently priced at 1/3 of what it was when I first looked at it.

In most big cities....where jobs are plentiful and pay well, the housing market is very robust.

It can be... It's not like it was during its heyday... Areas around my parents are not even close to what they were... Prices are about where they were in 2000.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »
It can be... It's not like it was during its heyday... Areas around my parents are not even close to what they were... Prices are about where they were in 2000.

Before the crash we had our home appraised. It appraised at $550,000. Today it would sell for $425,000 - $450,000. Fortunately we bought it before the bubble and the crash and thus the current figure still would bring a healthy profit, should I sell it.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »
Before the crash we had our home appraised. It appraised at $550,000. Today it would sell for $425,000 - $450,000. Fortunately we bought it before the bubble and the crash and thus the current figure still would bring a healthy profit, should I sell it.

Certainly... Many people are under water... I am not, but that's just me, of course... I sold my house back in 2007 before the crash and made a decent sum off of it.

Now, I'll be ok renting... I prefer it as I move around from time to time.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
Certainly... Many people are under water... I am not, but that's just me, of course... I sold my house back in 2007 before the crash and made a decent sum off of it.

Now, I'll be ok renting... I prefer it as I move around from time to time.

Economist often advise that real estate is not the best investment in terms of returns. Tell this to "the Donald".

If you move a lot, renting is a good option. In order to turn much of a profit on a home, one should live there at least 5 years, barring real estate downturns, which could require one to hold onto the property longer. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »
Economist often advise that real estate is not the best investment in terms of returns. Tell this to "the Donald".

If you move a lot, renting is a good option. In order to turn much of a profit on a home, one should live there at least 5 years, barring real estate downturns, which could require one to hold onto the property longer. 

The Donald is not some real estate genius. His properties have gone bankrupt numerous times.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
The Donald is not some real estate genius. His properties have gone bankrupt numerous times.

I know this and you know this, but there are people who seem to prefer to forget this and make him their hero....or worse, President of the U.S.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
Well, looks like I'll be heading back to Greenville, SC very soon for a job.  Got a great deal on a 2 bedroom townhouse in a area I used to live.  Its a hard decision as I was wanting to go back to Asheville but money talks these days.  In any event, it will be good to hang out and train with my friends again.
A

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2015, 11:29:25 PM »
Well, looks like I'll be heading back to Greenville, SC very soon for a job.  Got a great deal on a 2 bedroom townhouse in a area I used to live.  Its a hard decision as I was wanting to go back to Asheville but money talks these days.  In any event, it will be good to hang out and train with my friends again.

Relocate to Sydney & train at Basile gym  ;)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2015, 12:28:04 AM »

1000square feet, 1 1/2 bath, two story, washer/dryer alcove and pantry, All electric, Central air and heat?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2015, 12:47:22 AM »
Well, looks like I'll be heading back to Greenville, SC very soon for a job.  Got a great deal on a 2 bedroom townhouse in a area I used to live.  Its a hard decision as I was wanting to go back to Asheville but money talks these days.  In any event, it will be good to hang out and train with my friends again.

Have you considered relocating to Australia? There's a fella there that'd surely let a blue-starred Gber train in his fitness facility.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2015, 01:13:55 AM »
Have you considered relocating to Australia? There's a fella there that'd surely let a blue starred Gber train in his fitness facility.

Actually that 'fella' is not running "his" fitness facility for sometimes  ;) & no joke here.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
Actually that 'fella' is not running "his" fitness facility for sometimes  ;) & no joke here.

Maybe they can just share an apartment then?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »
Maybe they can just share an apartment then?

Manly beach penthouse  :D

? :who would cook steaks.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
Manly beach penthouse  :D

? :who would cook steaks.

Bondi Beach!

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »
Bondi Beach!

Bondi is nice... plus an easy train trip into Sydney.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
My gal's cousin moved with her husband (Aussie) from CA to Sydney. Loves the food and atmosphere, but super homesick right now. Just had her first baby, no family nearby.

This was their breakfast when she visited.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »

Bondi is nice... plus an easy train trip into Sydney.

No trains from Bondi Junction - Bondi Beach, buses only  8)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2015, 09:19:23 PM »
Bondi Beach!

& free Bondi beach outdoor gym ...........they could do pull ups together  ;)

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2015, 06:05:00 AM »
Don't forget the cop cars that crashed through the front door too  ;D
^^
 :D :D

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »
What about pulling into Greenville with a JAG to impress the boys at the gym, Vince??

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
& free Bondi beach outdoor gym ...........they could do pull ups together  ;)

Always thought you could take the bus to the train depot.

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
That's not true.

Minus a couple of areas, like beverly hills, it would be worth about 400,000

On average, in america, a house doubles in 30 years.

That's historical... You can look it up.

You are absolutely wrong. I have loan officers in every state...   If your home only doubles in 30 years there is something very wrong.  I have built my business by knowing these things.

FYI - the Donald very much is a real estate expert..  If you don't understand real estate you might not think so but I assure you that he knows what he is doing.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
You are absolutely wrong. I have loan officers in every state...   If your home only doubles in 30 years there is something very wrong.  I have built my business by knowing these things.

FYI - the Donald very much is a real estate expert..  If you don't understand real estate you might not think so but I assure you that he knows what he is doing.

I never said Donald wasn't a real estate expert.

I am not wrong.

These are just numbers you can go look up.

I don't really care about your loan officers.

Just look at median housing prices from 1984 to 2004.

Those are in the trend of doubling. Slightly more at times, but the trend hold true.

Let's also not forget that 2004 was in the bubble and values have decreased slightly since then.