Author Topic: behind the neck press  (Read 5790 times)

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
Re: behind the neck press
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »
Did a search on "225lbs behind the neck press" and found the results hilarious. People who see me doing that probably think I'm a fukkin freak haha.. It seems it's very uncommon for someone to go above 180lb for reps (deep reps, mind you, not these fukkin 3/4 rom). Give me 5-10 another injury free years and I will be on O'hearn level.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
Been doing heavy behind the  neck bb presses for many years, one of the most comfortable exercises for me, about 225lb currently for 7-8 deep reps, quite easy on a good day, yet I'm aware that many ppl cant even imagine this weight at this exercise. I guess I'm built for it, have always been quite flexible naturally.

I used the press behind the neck for over 30 years with no problems. I actually started each rep full range off the traps. Now as I approach 60 my shoulders are shot but I don't think it was the PBN that did it.

I think so many guys have a problem with the press behind the neck because of a lack of shoulder flexibility from various chest presses.  Most good bench press guys have terrible shoulder flexibility. I wonder what good that tightness is doing in terms of increasing athletic performance in a sport.

I always felt the press behind the neck hit the middle delt better than the military press. Most lean back to much doing the military standing and also sitting turning into a semi incline bench press further taking the stress off the delts.

I will say this dumbbells and the military press is safer for most trainers than the PBN.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 05:30:58 AM »
Did a search on "225lbs behind the neck press" and found the results hilarious. People who see me doing that probably think I'm a fukkin freak haha.. It seems it's very uncommon for someone to go above 180lb for reps (deep reps, mind you, not these fukkin 3/4 rom). Give me 5-10 another injury free years and I will be on O'hearn level.
pic of imagnary 225 bnp guy
A

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 05:51:11 AM »
pic of imagnary 225 bnp guy

Not imaginary. 240lb, 6'1 baby!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 06:04:47 AM »

youre not a vegetarian either  >:(
A

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 06:08:12 AM »

Lookin' large, broseph.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 06:12:06 AM »
youre not a vegetarian either  >:(

I am as carnivore as the day is bright!

Lookin' large, broseph.

Feeling small still, dammit  >:(

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
Feeling small still, dammit  >:(

It's an illness. I am only 215 and I would kill to be 240. Of course, if I was 240, I would be looking at 260 as "the perfect" weight. And so it goes...

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 06:58:09 AM »
I do presses standing but from the front - 135lbs for around 10-12 reps. :-\

225lbs for reps is pretty awesome. I've seen only one guy in my gym do that and he was juiced to his gills. Even then, he was only doing partials.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 07:08:08 AM »
It's an illness. I am only 215 and I would kill to be 240. Of course, if I was 240, I would be looking at 260 as "the perfect" weight. And so it goes...

Truth... Oh well..

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 07:11:42 AM »
Anyone can get jacked eating meat

The real mystery is discovering a vegan path to the same goal without having to harm things with faces
A

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
whatabout the road kill diet

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
Been doing heavy behind the  neck bb presses for many years, one of the most comfortable exercises for me, about 225lb currently for 7-8 deep reps, quite easy on a good day, yet I'm aware that many ppl cant even imagine this weight at this exercise. I guess I'm built for it, have always been quite flexible naturally.

seated or standing?

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »
Seated.

The 225 for 8 deep reps seated makes a lot more sense and seems more plausible. Although it is still a great display of strength, it would be elite level strength to do 8 full range of motion behind the neck presses with 225 while standing. Totally different exercise.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 09:08:43 AM »
The 225 for 8 deep reps seated makes a lot more sense and seems more plausible. Although it is still a great display of strength, it would be elite level strength to do 8 full range of motion behind the neck presses with 225 while standing. Totally different exercise.

Yes, the amount of concentration and being able to keep a balance while generating that king of force would be a lot harder while standing.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »

I get that it's different, but not that it's "totally" different. In fact, I would think that if somebody could do seated militaries with 225 that they've already shown the shoulder strength to press 2 wheels in a standing press. Plus, you can push-press it a little with your legs.

Now, for me, I almost always fubar my lower back doing standing press because of my APT and lack of shoulder mobility directly overhead, but if your shoulder mobility is good and you've got the muscle. It should be straightforward.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
I get that it's different, but not that it's "totally" different. In fact, I would think that if somebody could do seated militaries with 225 that they've already shown the shoulder strength to press 2 wheels in a standing press. Plus, you can push-press it a little with your legs.

Now, for me, I almost always fubar my lower back doing standing press because of my APT and lack of shoulder mobility directly overhead, but if your shoulder mobility is good and you've got the muscle. It should be straightforward.

What's the point of bending your knees and using inertia to move the weight?  ??? It's all about YOU using your muscles to move it. I have front pressed 225 for 12 reps seated on a bench with a foot brace bar and although I've only begun to do them consistently and don't bend my knees have not gotten 225 with the standing bb press yet.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
What's the point of bending your knees and using inertia to move the weight?  ??? It's all about YOU using your muscles to move it. I have front pressed 225 for 12 reps seated on a bench with a foot brace bar and although I've only begun to do them consistently and don't bend my knees have not gotten 225 with the standing bb press yet.

Push-press. it's a thing. Google it.

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »

Well if you start to push press it then you are doing just that - a push press. That is another separate exercise. I can push press 30-40% more than I can strict press and some lifters find the gap between the two is even greater.

The seated shoulder press is closer to an incline bench press than the standing strict press.

Pressing 225 overhead in the seated position is a very impressive display of strength but I would not imagine that many people who can do it would find that they can automatically do 225 in the standing strict press.

One of the best things a lifter can do who has been benching, seated pressing etc. is to try some standing strict presses performed correctly (no leg drive, bar starting from below the clavicles at the beginning of each rep and finishing with the arms fully locked out, traps shrugged upwards and head under the bar). It is usually extremely humbling but can tell you a lot about what you need to strengthen as a lifter which in turn can further increase your bench and other such lifts.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »

Because it's about having the strength/power to move the weight.  It is YOU using your muscles/body to move it.
Y

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »

The point is so you can lift more weight, in the push press (which is a different lift). That is like asking a lifter why they use the stretch reflex at the bottom of the squat and don't just pause squat all the time (which incidentally is actually a great idea if you are using the squat solely for bodybuilding purposes - less stress on the joints, less chance of injury, more time under tension. But I digress...)

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »

One of the best things a lifter can do who has been benching, seated pressing etc. is to try some standing strict presses performed correctly (no leg drive, bar starting from below the clavicles at the beginning of each rep and finishing with the arms fully locked out, traps shrugged upwards and head under the bar). It is usually extremely humbling but can tell you a lot about what you need to strengthen as a lifter which in turn can further increase your bench and other such lifts.

You kind of "motivated" me to try this next week. I will try it with a very light weight (in comparison) and a very strict form, maybe as a superset after incline dumbell presses (while I do seated btn press, position is completely straight).

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
lets just stick to the maximum amount of weight you can get over your head regardless

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
lets just stick to the maximum amount of weight you can get over your head regardless
in good form... yes this too