Author Topic: Employers Slam Obama's Overtime Plan: Will 'Cost Billions'  (Read 728 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Employers Slam Obama's Overtime Plan: Will 'Cost Billions'
« on: June 30, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
I doubt this will be good for business (both employers and employees). 

Employers Slam Obama's Overtime Plan: Will 'Cost Billions'
Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015

Retailers and manufacturers blasted President Barack Obama’s plan to make more Americans eligible for overtime pay, saying the move would stunt workers’ careers and cost companies billions.

The National Retail Federation says Obama’s proposed rule change to greatly increase how many salaried employees can claim overtime would force companies to use more part-time and entry- level workers. Businesses also may offer fewer promotions and convert salaried employees to hourly to avoid raising their pay, the NRF said.

“The proposal is going to cost billions of dollars,” said Neil Trautwein, vice president for the NRF, the industry’s largest trade group. “It’s going to limit advancement opportunities, and ultimately it will reduce employee benefits.”

The NRF said the move, which would go into effect next year, would cost $9.5 billion annually if retailers and restaurants implemented the change without making adjustments. Total payroll expenses for all 25 million workers in these industries was $545 billion in 2012.

Obama’s plan would make workers who earn a salary of as much as $970 a week, or about $50,000 a year, eligible to claim overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act. The current threshold is $455 a week, or about $24,000 a year, which is below the poverty line for a family of four. This change would benefit 4.68 million people, the White House said Tuesday on its website.

An analysis by the Economic Policy Institute showed large increases in the percentage of workers that would be eligible for overtime if the threshold were raised to a level similar to Obama’s proposal. Among retail supervisors, about 56 percent would be covered, up from 8 percent. The group calculated comparable jumps for restaurant managers, insurance clerks and customer-service representatives.

Major chains already were under pressure to boost hourly wages for their lowest-paid workers. Many, including McDonald’s Corp. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc., have done just that. Now Obama says he wants to boost the pay of middle management. Of those affected, a majority have college degrees, are women and are older than 35, the Department of Labor said.

“A hard day’s work deserves a fair day’s pay,” Obama wrote on the White House website. “That’s at the heart of what it means to be middle class in America.”

The NRF and other trade groups aren’t buying it.

“The Department of Labor announced the demotion of at least 5 million Americans,” Joe Trauger, a spokesman for the National Association of Manufacturers, said in a statement. “This proposed regulation is another in a long list of regulatory roadblocks to healthy and robust economic growth and job creation.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/overtime-obama-rules-reaction/2015/06/30/id/652861/#ixzz3eZuVYb5C

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: Employers Slam Obama's Overtime Plan: Will 'Cost Billions'
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
Small business would get hit the hardest.  But then again, working someone for 10+ hours a day and basing their salary off a 40 hour work week is kind of fucked up.

I think there's a lot of wasted time spent during business hours that could be reduced and no OT needed (manual labor and certain service industry jobs excluded).

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
Small business would get hit the hardest.  But then again, working someone for 10+ hours a day and basing their salary off a 40 hour work week is kind of fucked up.

I think there's a lot of wasted time spent during business hours that could be reduced and no OT needed (manual labor and certain service industry jobs excluded).

I am a small business owner, and from what I understand, you can't just put anybody on salary. They have to have at least two people under them and can't hold the same title as someone else. I always throw my salary guys extra cash for working weekends. When we do out of town work, I pay their per diem and hotels even if they finish early too. People should just treat people fair and these type of laws wouldn't be necessary.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:33:31 PM »
I think a lot of people are going to lose their jobs over this.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »

I hear liberal stalwart NBC has already let one of their top entertainers go, perhaps related to this legislation, perhaps related to some mexican rape accusations, we can never really be sure of the actual reason behind these things.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:41:44 AM »

I doubt it.  A lot of employers have been getting away with those 25k a year "manager" jobs making them work 50-65 hours a week.  Radio Shack is one particular company notorious for that shit
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »
sounds like effective labor PROTECTIONS.  A win for the working man.

What are people outraged about?  It removes a loophole for making people work 65 hours a week for 40 hours of pay?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
I hear liberal stalwart NBC has already let one of their top entertainers go, perhaps related to this legislation, perhaps related to some mexican rape accusations, we can never really be sure of the actual reason behind these things.

Yeah thats exact;y what it is.... ::)
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »

As the board's biggest liberal, I'm sure that really bothers you. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
As the board's biggest liberal, I'm sure that really bothers you. 

stop attacking me. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
I doubt it.  A lot of employers have been getting away with those 25k a year "manager" jobs making them work 50-65 hours a week.  Radio Shack is one particular company notorious for that shit

Nobody is forced to work 50-65 hours a week.  Anyone who doesn't like their hours can quit and go work someplace else.  

There is no question that a lot of businesses are going to compensate for this by either reducing pay or cutting positions.  Always happens when government greatly increases the cost of doing business.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »

lol!  seriously man, we've all been battling here for almost a decade.  this board is weak lately man. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
lol!  seriously man, we've all been battling here for almost a decade.  this board is weak lately man. 

I don't battle you.  I mock you.  Just so we're clear about that.   :)

And if you think "this board is weak lately," then leave.  Everyone has that option.  The board will still be here, whether me, you, or anyone else takes off.