Author Topic: baseball finally got it right...  (Read 5964 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: baseball finally got it right...
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »
:D :D :D :D from before  babe ruth to present baseball is very much a fabric of american life.

Man, Ruth is unrecognizable there.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 11:59:45 AM »
Go get some f'n pitching to go with that offense and you'll break that trend.

you optimistic that the Yankees will win the East?
what a division!  
only 6.5 games separating first and last.
I looked at the "second half" schedule of the Jays' rivals and the Yankees got a good one ...
more home games than away games and they're done with some of the tougher teams.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 12:09:32 PM »
you optimistic that the Yankees will win the East?
what a division!  
only 6.5 games separating first and last.
I looked at the "second half" schedule of the Jays' rivals and the Yankees got a good one ...
more home games than away games and they're done with some of the tougher teams.

Optimistic is not the word I'd use.  I  think the Yankees have the most balanced team in the  AL East, when SP, hitting, bullpen and defense are factored in.  But they also have their flaws, and need continued production from ARod and Tiexiera to compete.

I feel Toronto is the biggest threat, and if the go for it and grab a Hamels or something, even moreso.  Baltimore has no SP, Tampa as no offense, and Boston stinks.

So, while I'm feeling better about the Yankees as some of the pre-season question marks have been addressed there's still a lot of baseball left.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
Optimistic is not the word I'd use.  I  think the Yankees have the most balanced team in the  AL East, when SP, hitting, bullpen and defense are factored in.  But they also have their flaws, and need continued production from ARod and Tiexiera to compete.

I feel Toronto is the biggest threat, and if the go for it and grab a Hamels or something, even moreso.  Baltimore has no SP, Tampa as no offense, and Boston stinks.

So, while I'm feeling better about the Yankees as some of the pre-season question marks have been addressed there's still a lot of baseball left.

I thought (or was hoping:)) age would eventually catch up with the Yankees: Arod, Tex, CC, Beltran (who I know's on the DL) ...

It's "playoffs or bust" for the Jays GM (with a new team Prez taking over this winter) and so adding arms at the deadline appears to be in the cards although I can't see him dealing prospects for a rental ... and I think Hamels has already vetoed a deal to Toronto.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »
I thought (or was hoping:)) age would eventually catch up with the Yankees: Arod, Tex, CC, Beltran (who I know's on the DL) ...

It's "playoffs or bust" for the Jays GM (with a new team Prez taking over this winter) and so adding arms at the deadline appears to be in the cards although I can't see him dealing prospects for a rental ... and I think Hamels has already vetoed a deal to Toronto.

Then Cueto it is then.  He could be great for you.

One thing people didn't realize about the Yankees this year - they got younger.  Age DID catch up with CC/Beltran, just not the other two.  But the rest of the team is not old.

While I'd love to land one of those pitchers, NY has some really good prospects about to get called up.  Would rather save them, then spend the big $$ on a Price/Greinke type.
Y

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »
Then Cueto it is then.  He could be great for you.

One thing people didn't realize about the Yankees this year - they got younger.  Age DID catch up with CC/Beltran, just not the other two.  But the rest of the team is not old.

While I'd love to land one of those pitchers, NY has some really good prospects about to get called up.  Would rather save them, then spend the big $$ on a Price/Greinke type.
THIS IS THE YOUNGEST MOST BALANCED YANKEE TEAM IN YEARS,,THERE IS SOME HOLES OFFENSIVLEY /PRODUCTION SS/2B THIS 2B ROOKIE CAN HIT..BULLPEN IS SOLID AND HARD THROWERS LIKE THE OLDER TIGERS TEAMS FEW YRS AGO,AROD HAVING A 30/100 RBI SEASON TEX 35/110/120,,MCCANN HITTING WELL,HEADLEY IS A DISSAPOINTMENT POWER WISE,GARNER/ELLSBURY SOLID..PITCHING IS VERY GOOD NOT GREAT ,DUE TO NOVA/TANAKA/CC EITHER GETTING STRONGER/OR BREAKING DOWN DUE TO TIME OFF ..THEY HAVE GOOD SHOT AT WINNING DIVISION AND SHOULD GET PAST 1ST ROUND PLAYOFFS..

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
THIS IS THE YOUNGEST MOST BALANCED YANKEE TEAM IN YEARS,,THERE IS SOME HOLES OFFENSIVLEY /PRODUCTION SS/2B THIS 2B ROOKIE CAN HIT..BULLPEN IS SOLID AND HARD THROWERS LIKE THE OLDER TIGERS TEAMS FEW YRS AGO,AROD HAVING A 30/100 RBI SEASON TEX 35/110/120,,MCCANN HITTING WELL,HEADLEY IS A DISSAPOINTMENT POWER WISE,GARNER/ELLSBURY SOLID..PITCHING IS VERY GOOD NOT GREAT ,DUE TO NOVA/TANAKA/CC EITHER GETTING STRONGER/OR BREAKING DOWN DUE TO TIME OFF ..THEY HAVE GOOD SHOT AT WINNING DIVISION AND SHOULD GET PAST 1ST ROUND PLAYOFFS..

plus, it doesn't look like a team will even need 90 wins to take the East.

the playoffs are a crapshoot ... just gotta get in ... then all bets are off.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
plus, it doesn't look like a team will even need 90 wins to take the East.

THIS TOO...nobody thought the Astros would be this good,royals are solid,but Yankees played them well so far,,tigers have good team but Cabrera is hurt now,,whitesox on paper was picked to win it all...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »

Agree with this, but with a healthy 1-2 of Tanaka/Pineda, that's a great playoff 1-2 with a shutdown bullpen after 6.  That can go up against any team, although Kershaw/Greinke as a 1-2 is the best of the best.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
Agree with this, but with a healthy 1-2 of Tanaka/Pineda, that's a great playoff 1-2 with a shutdown bullpen after 6.  That can go up against any team, although Kershaw/Greinke as a 1-2 is the best of the best.

yeah, you can shorten your rotation in the playoffs and the team's with the aces should be the favourites ...
but last year the O's swept the Tigers (beating Price & Scherzer) and even Kershaw got rocked last October.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »
yeah, you can shorten your rotation in the playoffs and the team's with the aces should be the favourites ...
but last year the O's swept the Tigers (beating Price & Scherzer) and even Kershaw got rocked last October.

True too - we've seen some great rotations not win - the Tigers team you mentioned , LA last year, Phillies with Halliday and Lee/Oswalt/Hamels and the Braves teams of the 90s.  Playoffs are as much luck/timing as they are skill.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
due to economics all teams have shortcomings,no team can go out and buy a world series like the marlins did once, and then later did it again with a bunch of nonames and pudge rod.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
due to economics all teams have shortcomings,no team can go out and buy a world series like the marlins did once, and then later did it again with a bunch of nonames and pudge rod.
YANKEES TRIED FORGET ABOUT 1996-2000 ASIDE,2001-2011 THEY TRIED ADDING THE MOST PAYROLL$$ OF ANYONE EVER AND IT GOT THEM 2009 WS THATS IT ,ALMOST BEAT DIAMONBACKS/WERE BEAT BY MARLINS EASILY ...

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
They need to juice the balls or the players.

Nothing is memorable until you look back at Sosa and McGwire days of yore.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »
They need to juice the balls or the players.

Nothing is memorable until you look back at Sosa and McGwire days of yore.

dude (tonight in the all star game) threw every pitch over 100 mph ... making the three hitters he faced look silly.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »
dude (tonight in the all star game) threw every pitch over 100 mph ... making the three hitters he faced look silly.
the emergence of new stars is what keeps the game interesting. when one retires someone comes on to take his spot.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
Tons of top talent right now.

Lots of baseball left for him, but Trout could be one of the best ever.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »

trout has amazing speed for a larger guy, would have made a great running back, but i think he made the right choice. career is similar to frank robinson and mickey mantle to this point so he's on the right track...
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
trout has amazing speed for a larger guy, would have made a great running back, but i think he made the right choice. career is similar to frank robinson and mickey mantle to this point so he's on the right track...
he is great....puljos had an amazing 10yrs start...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »
I think Trout's start is even better.  In my opinion, he should have 3 MVPs in his first three seasons, and yes, I'm aware Cabrerra hit for the triple crown one of those years.  Trout's season was better.
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
the emergence of new stars is what keeps the game interesting. when one retires someone comes on to take his spot.

I was thinking about Chapman blowing away the A.L. hitters in the 9th (made 'em look like little leaguers), but (yeah) deGrom was mighty impressive as well.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »

Couldn't agree more, hope he stays healthy.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »
he is great....puljos had an amazing 10yrs start...

Might've had a little help, it appears. Though we can be reasonably sure today's guys are regularly tested.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
it'll be a sad sad day if the great Mike Trout ends up in pinstripes someday.  :'(

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »
it'll be a sad sad day if the great Mike Trout ends up in pinstripes someday.  :'(

It will be awesome.

He belongs on the big stage, but I think it will be Harper who ends up there.  Trout's already under contract until 2020, and will be paid 34M per year for the last three years of it.

Y