Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409014 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1250 on: January 28, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »
If anyone has  been following this thread knows a doctor put me on clomid to increase my low testosterone. It worked fantastic raising it from about 300 to 550. Then another doctor said using clomid isn't tested for long term use for raising test. He said it increases the risk of cancer. I had to get an answer. Instead of going to a urologist I went to a highly regarded endocrinologist from England that works in NJ.  He was surprised the urologist used clomid because it's an "off use" of that drug and he also felt it wasn't safe long term.  I asked him about HRT and he said he would give it to me if I wanted but he said there are risks involved that isn't worth it because I had no symptoms of low T other than what's on the blood test. He said if I was dirt low he could see using testosterone but to be borderline the risks aren't worth it. 
like I said few pages ago you train hard ,if you feel recovered, energetic,virile,strong stay clean until you really need it.you seem to really dwell on the healthy aspect to training and lifestyle,thats good .the right dr will tell you what to do or not do.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1251 on: January 28, 2016, 08:13:31 AM »
BACK/TRAPS/ABS HOME WORKOUT..

SUPERSETTED FRONT PULLDOWNS WITH DB PULLOVERS X4

UPPER SINGLE ARM CABLE PULLS 'UPPER /MID BACK' WITH DB BENTOVER ROWS DONE TOGETHER X3

STANDING PULLDOWNS TO WASTE WITH LOW ROW CABLE X3

SIDE  PULLDOWNS SINGLE ARM FACING SIDEWAYS INSTEAD OF FACE IN 'DIFFERENT ANGLE'PERSPECTIVE TO LATS X2

TRAPS
FRONT CABLE SHRUGS AND DB SIDE SHRUGS X3
REAR CABLE SHRUGS X3

ABS 8 SETS LEG RAISES,CRUNCHES

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1252 on: January 28, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »
BACK/TRAPS/ABS HOME WORKOUT..

SUPERSETTED FRONT PULLDOWNS WITH DB PULLOVERS X4

UPPER SINGLE ARM CABLE PULLS 'UPPER /MID BACK' WITH DB BENTOVER ROWS DONE TOGETHER X3

STANDING PULLDOWNS TO WASTE WITH LOW ROW CABLE X3

SIDE  PULLDOWNS SINGLE ARM FACING SIDEWAYS INSTEAD OF FACE IN 'DIFFERENT ANGLE'PERSPECTIVE TO LATS X2

TRAPS
FRONT CABLE SHRUGS AND DB SIDE SHRUGS X3
REAR CABLE SHRUGS X3

ABS 8 SETS LEG RAISES,CRUNCHES
I like it... pulldowns with pullovers,,,  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1253 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
delt and arms:

Dumbbell delt presses standing 2 x 10 50lbs (all the way down)
Machine delt press 2 x 8
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
Machine rear delts 2x 10
dumbbell shrugs 2 x 12 80lbs-85 lbs.

EZ curl 2 x 10 90lbs.
Machine scott curl 3 x 10
Pulley bar curl 2 x 10
rope curl 1 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (Went deep)
Machine triceps 3 x 12
traditional push downs 3 x 10

wrist curls2 x 20 95lbs
reverse pulley curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 22 40lbs
machine crunches 2 x 15

Gym Observations: 
Watched a woman about 55 doing everything super slow. Used machines and did slow motion reps. I wonder what HIT trainer advised her this is the way to go? I don't agree with this training protocol but it would take a lot of typing. I think the guy was named Ron Huchtinson or something like that and he preached super slow on Med X equipment was the way to go. Good for the elderly and for rehab.

Again why do people walk so slow on a treadmill?  A guy got off and walked faster to his car than he did on the treadmill. WTF?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1254 on: January 28, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »
delt and arms:

Dumbbell delt presses standing 2 x 10 50lbs (all the way down)
Machine delt press 2 x 8
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
Machine rear delts 2x 10
dumbbell shrugs 2 x 12 80lbs-85 lbs.

EZ curl 2 x 10 90lbs.
Machine scott curl 3 x 10
Pulley bar curl 2 x 10
rope curl 1 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (Went deep)
Machine triceps 3 x 12
traditional push downs 3 x 10

wrist curls2 x 20 95lbs
reverse pulley curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 22 40lbs
machine crunches 2 x 15

Gym Observations: 
Watched a woman about 55 doing everything super slow. Used machines and did slow motion reps. I wonder what HIT trainer advised her this is the way to go? I don't agree with this training protocol but it would take a lot of typing. I think the guy was named Ron Huchtinson or something like that and he preached super slow on Med X equipment was the way to go. Good for the elderly and for rehab.

Again why do people walk so slow on a treadmill?  A guy got off and walked faster to his car than he did on the treadmill. WTF?
NICE ONE RICH,,,I DO SIMILAR WORKOUTS...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1255 on: January 28, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
Today i just did an upper body workout because on Tuesday i had a small accident with my Mountain Bike. It was dark and my front wheel just slid. Not sure what happened but i hit my knee and arm. My knee swole up so i got it checked and cleaned up because it was bleeding. No fracture but it really is looking a mess and rather Black and Blue ..never mind boys will be boys.. ;D

This made me wince.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1256 on: January 28, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »

Because they are going nowhere? Or, because they are lazy.

I can walk at 4 mph without breaking into a jog.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1257 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »
Today i just did an upper body workout because on Tuesday i had a small accident with my Mountain Bike. It was dark and my front wheel just slid. Not sure what happened but i hit my knee and arm. My knee swole up so i got it checked and cleaned up because it was bleeding. No fracture but it really is looking a mess and rather Black and Blue ..never mind boys will be boys.. ;D

You are pretty banged up between your neck and your crash. Get well soon.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1258 on: January 28, 2016, 07:54:51 PM »
delts/bi's/forarms/treadmill

seated press machine x4'stack version'inner grip
trisets x3 laterals side/front/rear delt raise all seated
cable upright rows x3
premade straight bar side raise straight out,,, hold bar in middle and raise x3

bis
cable curl small bar x4 80/100/120/130
seated curl machine elbow on pad and slight pitch x3
superset finish db curls 30/35/35 with close grip premade curl bar 60/60/70

forarms 8 sets cable wrist curls in front and rear behind back

treadmill

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1259 on: January 30, 2016, 02:05:06 AM »
This made me wince.
looks worse than what it is.. walking around fine.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1260 on: January 30, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
leg day  hard core ''

extensions worked heavy 190,220.235,250,245 all 12 rep sets
squat close stance 225/275/315/365,,12.12.10,8
lying sled press 180/220/260
walking kettle lunges 45 lbs each hand

hams
single leg standing leg curls 70/80/90/100
sldl,,,185/235/255

calves
5 sets leg press 3/3.5/4/4/4 plates side 15/12/12/10/10

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1261 on: January 30, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »
Worked pecs and abs yesterday.
Flat, incline and decline bench presses, 3 - 4 sets, 12 - 6 reps modest resistance
Dips 3 sets 12 - 8 reps
Seated pullovers 3 sets 12 - 8 reps
Nautilus crunches 2 sets of 25 reps

This was one of those times when I really didn't want to go to the gym. Once there the workout was good and I was glad I'd made myself go.

Today is quads and calves. Don't look for me to push the weight Steve does. That isn't going to happen. I have been doing BW squats several times this week at home. I like the pump from this.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1262 on: February 01, 2016, 12:57:30 AM »
Well had another MRI this morning so will be interesting to see if any changes have occurred.  I am very optimistic 8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1263 on: February 01, 2016, 05:14:07 AM »
Well had another MRI this morning so will be interesting to see if any changes have occurred.  I am very optimistic 8)
good luck man!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1264 on: February 01, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »
good luck man!!!
my  Chi is strong  ;D 8)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1265 on: February 01, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
Good luck Donny.

Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max (tried to go all the way down and up.)
Seated low cable rows with a V handle 2 x 12
dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs.
reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 80 lbs. (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 70lbs
Hammer strength flat bench 2 x 10
dumbbell flies 2 x 10 50-45lbs
machine flies 2 x 10

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs.
weighted hyper extension 2 x 15 25lbs (held plate behind head)

ab coaster 2 x 23 40lbs
ab wheel 2 x 20 (these never fail to make my abs sore)

Gym observations:

Saw my friend again in the gym. Some guy was talking his ear off. Saying the craziest things. A 50 year old man saying how he drinks gain weight drinks but it doesn't work for him but he feels stronger.  He stated how strong he has gotten since he started training 9 years ago. I watched him bench with 145lbs with a 4" range of motion. Looks like he did less than quarter reps from the top. I then watched him do the leg press. He loaded a mess of 45lbs plates and proceeded to barely bend his legs for his reps. Bodybuilding can be a really strange activity.

Today there were actually 5 women in the gym. One was off the charts hot.

The owner does a lot of personal training with mainly older people. I notice he likes to enthusiastically count reps making me laugh.  One woman he was training talked through every rep. I think the most important thing for this trainer is making friends with the person he is training. He seems to make up new stuff every time he trains someone. I guess this keeps the newbie confused and reliant on him. He does seem like a genuine nice guy unless I am duped.

I wrote about this before but I never do it. I am considering using lighter weights finally. Instead of doing two sets to failure I'm thinking about more volume. Maybe using the mentality of seeing how fast I can get to 40 reps doing something like 4 sets of 10 reps. I heard a  guy saying he made his best gains when he stopped trying to get stronger but by concentrating on training the muscle instead of concentration on completing the rep.  Maybe I will start next week. My friend in the gym said I would be able to train more often instead of recovering if I would go lighter and concentrate on reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1266 on: February 02, 2016, 04:37:28 AM »
Good luck Donny.

Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max (tried to go all the way down and up.)
Seated low cable rows with a V handle 2 x 12
dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs.
reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 80 lbs. (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 70lbs
Hammer strength flat bench 2 x 10
dumbbell flies 2 x 10 50-45lbs
machine flies 2 x 10

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs.
weighted hyper extension 2 x 15 25lbs (held plate behind head)

ab coaster 2 x 23 40lbs
ab wheel 2 x 20 (these never fail to make my abs sore)

Gym observations:

Saw my friend again in the gym. Some guy was talking his ear off. Saying the craziest things. A 50 year old man saying how he drinks gain weight drinks but it doesn't work for him but he feels stronger.  He stated how strong he has gotten since he started training 9 years ago. I watched him bench with 145lbs with a 4" range of motion. Looks like he did less than quarter reps from the top. I then watched him do the leg press. He loaded a mess of 45lbs plates and proceeded to barely bend his legs for his reps. Bodybuilding can be a really strange activity.

Today there were actually 5 women in the gym. One was off the charts hot.

The owner does a lot of personal training with mainly older people. I notice he likes to enthusiastically count reps making me laugh.  One woman he was training talked through every rep. I think the most important thing for this trainer is making friends with the person he is training. He seems to make up new stuff every time he trains someone. I guess this keeps the newbie confused and reliant on him. He does seem like a genuine nice guy unless I am duped.

I wrote about this before but I never do it. I am considering using lighter weights finally. Instead of doing two sets to failure I'm thinking about more volume. Maybe using the mentality of seeing how fast I can get to 40 reps doing something like 4 sets of 10 reps. I heard a  guy saying he made his best gains when he stopped trying to get stronger but by concentrating on training the muscle instead of concentration on completing the rep.  Maybe I will start next week. My friend in the gym said I would be able to train more often instead of recovering if I would go lighter and concentrate on reps.

thanks Rich, sounds like a good Guy also sounds like he is trying to keep people motivated.  It does not matter what you show someone...they think there must be that magic something they are missing. The Golden routine or exercise(s). I will wait a couple of Days before i go for a run. walking is fine at the moment.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1267 on: February 02, 2016, 09:20:01 AM »
THIS THREAD AT LEAST HAS PERSONAL TID BITS THAT WE ALL SHARE AND GIVE SUPPORT POSITIVE WHICH IS NICE COMPARED TO THE G/O BOARD WHERE WE CAN LET LOOSE...

SHOULDER UPDATE IT WAS HURT IN OCTOBER AND MAN IT TAKES TIME BUT ITS PROBABLY 80-85 PCT THERE MEANING I'M GETTING STRONGER ON PRESSES WITH STILL SOME PAIN BUT NEXT DAY I FEEL NORMAL SORE NOT 'PAIN'LIKE DAMN WHAT DID I DO AGAIN,,,ROM IS 75 PCT AT HEAVIEST WEIGHT USED AT LIGHT WEIGHT OR WARM UPS I CAN BRING WEIGHT TO BOTTOM POINT WITH LITTLE PAIN,,

CHEST
WEIRD I LOVE DBELLS AND RICH LOVES PRESSES WITH BAR BUT HE SWITCHED RECENTLY TO DBELLS CAUSE HIS SHOULDER FOR ME NOW PRESSES FEEL BETTER THAN DBELLS 'MY L/S JUST GIVES OUT QUICKER...

FLAT PRESS WARM UP LIGHT FEW SETS TO GET GOING,,THEN I DO 4 WORK SETS LAST BEING DROP TO DO 15 REPS 'NICE PUMP'WORKING MY WAY BACK.. NOT IMPRESSIVE WEIGHTS USED YET..

INCLINE PRESS X4 WITH DROP SET

FLAT FLYES GETTING THERE TOO I USED 50/55 SOMETIME 60'S ,,,GOT UP TO 40'S PRETTY GOOD ROM TOO

LOWER CABLE FLYES WITH DECLINE PUSHUPS LOVE THESE X3

2 SETS SEATED CHEST PRESS 'STACK VERSION'140/140 GOOD I USED TO HIT 160 SO IM CLOSE ROM IS GOOD HERE TOO..

TRIS
SEATED DIP MACHINE X4 ''DIPS EITHER WAY ARE TOUGH AS I BRING ARMS UP FR DELT GETS PUSHED UP THATS THE PAIN ONLY TIME ON THESE ,,,AT MY BEST I DO 210/220 ON THEM I AM WORKING SLOW BACK ..I WAS AROUND 150-170 MAX

ROPE PULLDOWNS X3

LYING SKULL CRUSHER EXTENSIONS PREMADE BAR 70/70/70

CABLE SIDE EXTENSIONS X2 15/13

ABS

TREADMILL

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1268 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
NJFlex, I'm glad your shoulder is moving in a positive direction. I resigned myself to know I will never bench 300lbs after doing two work sets of benches. Hell, 225lbs hurts and feels like I'm doing damage. Dumbbells just work better. Still have some slight discomfort but nothing like the bar.  What really feels completely pain free is dumbbell benching while my palms are facing each other. It limits the weight used but it feels like a cheat dumbbell fly.  Hits the pecs hard. I never seen anyone do it like that in the gym except me. I'm sure some new guys are thinking I don't know what I'm doing. LOL.  Try it.  It might feel completely pain free.  Just use lighter weights than you would for palms facing toward your feet.  

Today I did my cardio. 8 x one lap.  Half a lap walking fast was the rest interval.  Last two laps in 6:57 per mile pace or 8.6 MPH. Nothing too crazy and I am coming back from being sick. One thing I know when I'm not training cardio for awhile it takes a lot out of me. When I got off the treadmill I hit the heavy bag for two 3 minute rounds.   I got distracted on one punch and I completely missed the bag. That really hurt the elbow joint.  

Gym observations: Don't be that dope hitting the heavy bag that takes his eyes off it because you were nosy about a sound in the gym.  Throwing a full force jab will really hurt if you're punching air.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1269 on: February 02, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »
NJFlex, I'm glad your shoulder is moving in a positive direction. I resigned myself to know I will never bench 300lbs after doing two work sets of benches. Hell, 225lbs hurts and feels like I'm doing damage. Dumbbells just work better. Still have some slight discomfort but nothing like the bar.  What really feels completely pain free is dumbbell benching while my palms are facing each other. It limits the weight used but it feels like a cheat dumbbell fly.  Hits the pecs hard. I never seen anyone do it like that in the gym except me. I'm sure some new guys are thinking I don't know what I'm doing. LOL.  Try it.  It might feel completely pain free.  Just use lighter weights than you would for palms facing toward your feet.  

Today I did my cardio. 8 x one lap.  Half a lap walking fast was the rest interval.  Last two laps in 6:57 per mile pace or 8.6 MPH. Nothing too crazy and I am coming back from being sick. One thing I know when I'm not training cardio for awhile it takes a lot out of me. When I got off the treadmill I hit the heavy bag for two 3 minute rounds.   I got distracted on one punch and I completely missed the bag. That really hurt the elbow joint.  

Gym observations: Don't be that dope hitting the heavy bag that takes his eyes off it because you were nosy about a sound in the gym.  Throwing a full force jab will really hurt if you're punching air.
rich i've benn posting those versions of db press for years i do them but i start off normal and as i approach the end i rotate palms in to squeeze love them its like a press/flye finish,i might try the palms the way you do it from the start next time,,i love db presses just not now/yet fully...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1270 on: February 03, 2016, 04:13:36 AM »
so plan of Action today is A gym workout (full body)

Leg press 3-5 sets, (see how my knee is.)
stiff legged Deads (Dumbbells) 3-5 sets

machine Bench press 3-5 sets
machine rows 3-5 sets

side raises, bent over raises 3-5 sets
DB shrugs 3-5 sets (probably the most important ex at the moment)

Pulldowns using a close under grip 3-5 sets
Dips machine 3-5 sets ( yes steve i am using it but with my knees on a pad)  :)

Crunches (calves on Bench) + Leg raises on floor

I will hit the Crosser today and see how it feels. All very simple stuff. which reminds me i also have to phone the Doc about my scan..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1271 on: February 03, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »
so plan of Action today is A gym workout (full body)

Leg press 3-5 sets, (see how my knee is.)
stiff legged Deads (Dumbbells) 3-5 sets

machine Bench press 3-5 sets
machine rows 3-5 sets

side raises, bent over raises 3-5 sets
DB shrugs 3-5 sets (probably the most important ex at the moment)

Pulldowns using a close under grip 3-5 sets
Dips machine 3-5 sets ( yes steve i am using it but with my knees on a pad)  :)

Crunches (calves on Bench) + Leg raises on floor

I will hit the Crosser today and see how it feels. All very simple stuff. which reminds me i also have to phone the Doc about my scan..

good too hear....

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1272 on: February 03, 2016, 07:53:28 AM »
Trained legs:

Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs ( ass to grass)
leg press 2 x 12
leg extension 3 x 12
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12
seated calf 2 x 15

4 way neck machine 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 23
Machine crunch 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

Huge guy built like a super heavy weight power lifter. You would think he's doing squats and deads for sets of low reps. He actually trains like a fitness guy. He's on the treadmill working hard and doing stuff like power cleans into a front squat combo. It's impressive to see him working out. Trains like an athlete. 

Anyone else scared of germs on the machines?  Stuff like MRSA, strep, viruses and head lice are possible.  I alcohol my hands before I drive home and shower almost immediately.  I know many high/college school wrestlers are always fighting skin infections.

Since cops work strange hours 24/7/365 coverage a lot of them work out here in the morning. A friendly group of guys.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1273 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »
It is interesting to read how those of you with shoulder issues deal with it when lifting. Lifting with dumbbells disallows one to compensate for weakness or injury on one side, but you have more flexibility with the grip. I tweaked my shoulder one time, probably by lifting heavier than I should. It took a longtime to heal. While it was healing I dropped the weight down quite a bit. Mostly, I was just "going through the motions."

-Catching up:

Last Saturday, I worked quads and calves. I did my usual routine but added squats 3 sets of 10 @ 175 (featherweight for you guys, but enough for me as I readjust to doing them.

On Monday, I worked arms. No additional movements, but I did go heavier on pretty much every movement. I was pumped, both mentally and physically.

Yesterday, I worked hams and calves. -Added in the exercise I do on what I call the lunge/kickback machine because it simulates those movements. With this machine it is possible to add a fair amount of resistance. I did 3 sets of 15 reps with 145 lbs. loaded on each side. Because the 45's are difficult to get off this machine, I put 5's between each of the 45's allowing for an easier grip when pulling them off. My grip sucks. There is no way I can grip a 100 lb. plate laying flat on the floor without using a leaver to raise it up. Believe it or not, some idiots lay them flat rather then load them back onto the rack.

Tonight, I plan to work back.

I really like going to the gym at night. It is almost never crowded. My biological clock works with this time period really well. I've always been something of a night owl. One of the guys working the front counter at night is monster sized. I believe he is a power lifter. He would look scary as heck, except for the fact that he is super friendly and thus smiling all the time. If you saw him in a dark alley, you'd probably run. LOL!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1274 on: February 03, 2016, 08:32:29 PM »
back,traps,abs,calves,treadmill

back
3 sets wide grip chins sets 12
tbar row front plate loaded outer grip 2.5 plates,3,3 and 25 ,,sets 10 then 2 plates x12 last set
hammer strenght underhanded pulldowns ,,2 plates side,2 and a 10 x2 10/8/8
cable low rows 165/180/195 reps 10 goal
rope standing pulls/stretch to waist x3

weighted hypers 3x12 with 45 plate

traps
shugs 185x12/225x10/275x10/275x10
reverse shrug on hammer chest press 3 plates,3.5,3.5 x12

abs 6 sets crunch roller machine

calves 5 sets standing calf raise 200x12,220x12,240x10 3 sets

treadmill