Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409234 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1875 on: December 16, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
Just sad. Hope being in the gym gives him some comfort.

Absolutely it does comfort him. He and Bill's workout routine was mostly talk and occasional lifting. When they actually got around to doing another set, they'd move some awesome weight. Bill movements were often jerky and uncontrolled. He'd had 4 shoulder surgeries. Some people just cannot change their ways, no matter what.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1876 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »
Don't mean to be morbid Prime but no one escapes death and poor health. We both know that and it goes without saying but I said it.  ;D Exercise and eating right is the best way to delay it.  When I see guys all proud of their temporary drug physique I just shake my head. Can't they even see the pros they are so fond of look like crap off the drugs?  I admire all of physical culture.  When I see a guy that is dedicated to something like running I give them the same admiration as a bodybuilding gym rat.  My philosophy is to train hard and eat right without risking health. You will be built for decades and decades instead of the yo yo factor of drug users.  Seen guys look amazing for contests and 6 months later look like crap as they give their body a break from drugs.  If you're a fan of drugs I really don't care. Stick that needle in your butt. Just don't expect me to give you props on your temporary physique.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1877 on: December 17, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »
A swim suit?  Where do you go swimming?   ;D

Leg day today:

Squats 2 x 8 230lbs 1 x 1 280 (I go deep but not rock bottom)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 90lbs (rock bottom, holding two 90lbs dumbbells)
Stiff deads 3 x 6 210lbs
leg extensions 2 x 12 190lbs (I know 190lbs is meaningless from machine to machine)
standing leg curls 2 x 12

standing calf raise 2 x 12
seated calf 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
ab crunch 2 x 20

4 way neck 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

I have none for today. I wasn't very observant today.

I don't know about you guys but don't chat in the gym. Maybe brief stuff once in awhile but I really get into a zone training. Also training to failure I'm breathing like a race horse trying to go fast. It seems like the majority of people are chatting away about anything and everything. Wonder if they think I'm a unfriendly person?

Anyone get dizzy and light headed after a hard set to failure? Happens to me after certain exercises. Dumbbell squats, stiff leg and regular deadlifts, dumbbell rows, and few others can do it for me. Surprisingly regular squats it doesn't happen.  Just wonder if I'm going to give myself a heart attack? Never felt this running. Only after to failure sets with some weight movements.

I don't know why I even do calf movements. I train them till they burn but they are practically non existent. I once had a guy say to me how do you stand on those tooth picks.  LOL.  I don't know they work.  I can jump, sprint somewhat for a guy near 60 and run distance. I just have legs like the fighter Tommy hitman Hearns.  
dizzy,,,yes after set leg press with 7 to8 45's per side doesi guess in close my eyes and breathing and force i get all the time,,i think same thing rich

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1878 on: December 17, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
Yes, pull ups and pulldowns do irritate it. I do notice I can do Hammer strength pulldowns without irritation at all.  Just a different path in the pulldown.
Do you do hammer strength pulldowns with your hands vertical like a hammer curl or supinated/pronated? I do them with my thimbs straight up, gripping the side of the handle, really helped with the pain.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1879 on: December 17, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
Do you do hammer strength pulldowns with your hands vertical like a hammer curl or supinated/pronated? I do them with my thimbs straight up, gripping the side of the handle, really helped with the pain.

Supinated. This gym has an old unit. What ever path it takes it doesn't bother my shoulder at all. The picture is very similar to the one in my gym.  It feels like half a pulldown and maybe have a row to describe it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1880 on: December 17, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »
Trained delts and arms yesterday.

Military press 2 x 8 115 (cleaned weight off the floor and went all the way down each rep)
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear delt dumbbell lateral 2 x 10 40lbs
Machine laterals 2 x 10 70lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 255lbs. ( I see guys loading a ridiculous weight on this exercise doing some kind partials)

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (went deep for all the reps.)
traditional push downs 2 x 10
rope push downs 2 x 10 85lbs

EZ curl 2 x 10 90lbs
machine curls 2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lbs

forearm wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
rope curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
machine crunches 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Surprised there were so many young people in the gym at 530PM.  Just thought like the old days we were to preoccupied with what club/bar we were going to.

Trained so fast I was winded.  I train with a few sets to failure or near failure.  I really want to give volume a try but I just can't bring myself to do it. I would go insane doing 5 sets of one exercise.  

Left the gym and walked in the house having a beer. Took the wife out to the local pub.  Drank more beer and had excellent ribs at the bar.  Two late 50's women sitting next to me didn't look too bad. Came home and started a fire. It's 20 degrees out.  I have a fantastic down coat that I rarely wear except on occasions like this. Crazy warm. Wool vest with a wool hat and I was toast.  Listened to Pandora coming out of an outdoor Bose speaker. My wife typed in Italian cooking music and fantastic Sinatra, Dean Martin, and others played in the darkness.  Exhausted today. No training.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1881 on: December 17, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »

Supinated. This gym has an old unit. What ever path it takes it doesn't bother my shoulder at all. The picture is very similar to the one in my gym.  It feels like half a pulldown and maybe have a row to describe it.
Similar to what we have without the shoulder press half.

This confuses me
Left the gym and walked in the house having a beer. Took the wife out to the local pub.  Drank more beer and had excellent ribs at the bar.  Two late 50's women sitting next to me didn't look too bad. Came home and started a fire. It's 20 degrees out.  I have a fantastic down coat that I rarely wear except on occasions like this. Crazy warm. Wool vest with a wool hat and I was toast.  Listened to Pandora coming out of an outdoor Bose speaker. My wife typed in Italian cooking music and fantastic Sinatra, Dean Martin, and others played in the darkness.  Exhausted today. No training.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1882 on: December 17, 2016, 01:42:10 PM »
Similar to what we have without the shoulder press half.

This confuses me

I'm confused by your confusion. I trained yesterday then I trained my liver. Today I'm just sitting by the computer and tv after 5 days of hard training. Maybe tomorrow cardio.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1883 on: December 17, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
I'm confused by your confusion. I trained yesterday then I trained my liver. Today I'm just sitting by the computer and tv after 5 days of hard training. Maybe tomorrow cardio.
Ahh 2 updates in one....gotcha
I almost never lift on the weekends. Might start throwing in an "arm day" once in awhile on a Saturday.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1884 on: December 18, 2016, 07:59:28 AM »
Ahh 2 updates in one....gotcha
I almost never lift on the weekends. Might start throwing in an "arm day" once in awhile on a Saturday.
can't hurt,,i toss in a extra workout on weekend kinda a smallpump run through some bodyparts trained earlier in week with enough rest between them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1885 on: December 18, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
Heard Rick Wayne use to do concentration curls almost every day. It worked for him.

Heading to Harrah's Atlantic city.  Another hang over to recover from. LOL.  Hope they have a band at Eden's so I can dance like a fool.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1886 on: December 20, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »
Back and chest today:

Hammer pulldown 2 x 10 185lbs (I get a full strencth and contraction)
Seated V handle lat rows 2 x 10 180lbs
Dumbbell rows off bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10 ( I try to stay somewhat vertical instead of leaning back)

Hammer incline press 2 x 8 230lbs
Incline dumbbell press 2  x 8 65lbs ( shoulder is protesting)
Incline dumbbell fly 1 x 10 45lbs
Flat fly 1 x 10 45 lbs
Machine fly 2 x 10 110lbs
Push ups 1 x 23

deadlift 2 x 4 305lbs  then 1 x 1 320lbs
weighted back hyper extension 2 x 15 25lbs

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 22 80lbs

Gym Observations:

Another hot blonde is working out in the gym now. I'm not into fake tits and she has two huge ones. Lying on her back doing flies they are at attention and gravity defying. I was trying to covertly check her out and she looked right at me. Caught! She gave a half a smile so I guess I'm good.

Drop the plates man was there. Singing loudly to his beats head phones. He was doing pulldowns and at the end of every set he just lets go of the bar.  An explosion of the plates dropping makes everyone jump. I don't know how the stack plates don't break?

Asked a 60 something year old lady if I can work in on the seated lat row. She looked at me like I was talking a foreign language. Asked her again if I could alternate. Still a confused look on her face.  She finally said," I have one more set."  I might have to go back to my basement gym again.  

Found a pair of socks on the floor in the gym.  Who the fuck is changing their socks on the gym floor? Who the fuck forgets them?  

One thing I never saw back in the day. Why is everyone walking around with a gallon of water or strange yellow liquid in a milk gallon container?  I just bring a bottle of poland springs water from Costco. What is that 25oz of water?  Are people really drinking a gallon of water working out?  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1887 on: December 20, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »
I think the yellow water in a gallon jug is Gatorade or it's equivalent....pretty much anything claiming to replace lost electrolytes.  You drink bottled water from Costco. I drink tap water from the gym's drinking fountains. I probably should explain that Portland's water is fairly pure and it tastes great. I chuckle at those, including my kids who are addicted to bottled water.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1888 on: December 21, 2016, 04:57:43 AM »
I think the yellow water in a gallon jug is Gatorade or it's equivalent....pretty much anything claiming to replace lost electrolytes.  You drink bottled water from Costco. I drink tap water from the gym's drinking fountains. I probably should explain that Portland's water is fairly pure and it tastes great. I chuckle at those, including my kids who are addicted to bottled water.

I agree. Who ever came up with selling water is a genius. Imagine how it started? "I'm going to sell water in bottles." I can't only hear the laughter, "Water is free from the tap."   Anyway the joke is on me cause it's a billion dollar industry.  Most of the water sold is from the tap. I do it for the convenience too. A case of water from Costco is around $5 bucks. Buying one individual bottle from a convenience store is around a $1.50.  The bought water does taste better than the tap here. No chlorine and fluoride. I buy Poland spring water from Maine. I imagine bears washing their muddy paws in the water and peeing in it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1889 on: December 21, 2016, 08:49:34 AM »
MOST GUYS/GALS ARE DRINKING PRE/DURING WORKOUT POWDERS WITH A STIMULANT FOR TRAINING/BETTER FOCUS/PUMPS...OR AMINOS TOO,,I DO NORMAL CREATINE/ARGININE 1/2 BEFORE TRAINING THATS IT,,I DRINK H20 DURING WORKOUT FROM FOUNTAIN LIKE JAY AND U DO...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1890 on: December 21, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »
MOST GUYS/GALS ARE DRINKING PRE/DURING WORKOUT POWDERS WITH A STIMULANT FOR TRAINING/BETTER FOCUS/PUMPS...OR AMINOS TOO,,I DO NORMAL CREATINE/ARGININE 1/2 BEFORE TRAINING THATS IT,,I DRINK H20 DURING WORKOUT FROM FOUNTAIN LIKE JAY AND U DO...

I'm afraid of stimulants like these. Sometimes, they are merely high doses of caffeine. Because I have AFib, it's not a good idea for me to be over stimulated. Once when I took a supplement containing Yohimbe, my heart started racing, I broke out in a sweat and felt like I was going to pass out.  It seems stimulants are dangerous for people who have atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. Doing so can cause a stroke.  A fib as it's called, is not necessarily a condition caused by age; anyone at any age can have it.

I take Creatine before and after workouts. Unless I'm leaning out, I also have a protein drink both before and after a workout.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1891 on: December 21, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »
Cardio day:

6 x 880 yards.  Fastest in 7:15 minute mile pace.  Hit heavy bag for two three minute rounds.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1892 on: December 22, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »
Leg day:

Squats 4 x 8 230lbs. (I go deep but wish I could do them rock bottom)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs
Stiff deadlifts 2 x 6 205lbs
leg extensions 2 x 12
standing leg curls 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

4 way neck 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 21

Gym Observations:

Old man wanted to talk to me and was so long winded. He's a retired fireman and military guy but damn I just want to lift brother. Finally I told him I have to keep my momentum going.

I walked into the gym and went to the only squat racks. Taken by a guy doing shoulder presses in the power cage.  Not cool.  Thought I would walk over to the leg press machine and start there. As soon as I got there an old man sat in the machine.  Started to walk out to go to my home gym and the military press man caught me and said he would be finished quick. Hung out and he was finished quick.

So a new young girl maybe college age was standing in one spot doing dumbbell exercises. I mean her whole workout was in the same spot. Thought she could do that at home.  Just found it unusual.  Stood in the same area with two 15lbs dumbbells doing various moves. More power to her. I can't believe she joined a gym to do that.

I'm really getting thin from cardio but it's not reflecting on the scale.  My face is getting drawn and it's not a good look. One of the few males that looks better facially when I'm not super lean.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1893 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:05 PM »
Ran 3 miles at under 8:45 minute pace in a park.  Casual run in the beautiful weather. It was 45 and pure sun. Hit the heavy bag after.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1894 on: December 25, 2016, 01:35:27 AM »
Did little beyond eating too many calories today. Heck, it's Christmas eve for goodness sakes.

Okay, I just succumbed to some bodyweight leg and glute work. My legs will not be huge, but the will be cut.  ;D

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #1895 on: December 25, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »
Once when I took a supplement containing Yohimbe, my heart started racing, I broke out in a sweat and felt like I was going to pass out.

Yohimbe can cause that reaction in people who are otherwise healthy too. It happened to me once and that was the last time I took it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1896 on: December 25, 2016, 11:04:34 PM »
Yohimbe can cause that reaction in people who are otherwise healthy too. It happened to me once and that was the last time I took it.

What I know is that it is not a pleasant experience, particularly when you have no clue as to why it's happening.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1897 on: December 26, 2016, 04:53:33 PM »
Back and chest day:

Power clean and jerks 3 x 3 165lbs
Deadlifts 1 x 4 315lbs

Lat pulldown 2 x 10 (hurts shoulder)
Seated V handle lat pull 2 x 12 180lbs
Dumbbell row with knee on bench 2 x 10 90lbs
Hammer Strength pulldown 2 x 10

Incline dumbbell press 2 x 8 75lbs (all the way down)
Hammer strength incline 2 x 8
flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
machine flies 2 x 10 120lbs

Ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head.

Gym Observations:

The gym is packed. I guess the New Years Eve crowd is here. People were everywhere. By next week it's going to be my home gym.  Just don't want to wait on equipment and I feel I need a complete break for awhile. I mainly trained in a commercial gym for close to two years. I trained at home prior for decades. No waiting and the music is fantastic.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #1898 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:13 AM »
Used some bands for squatting on Tuesday, felt awesome, been awhile. Hit a pretty good weight smoothly. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1899 on: December 29, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
Used some bands for squatting on Tuesday, felt awesome, been awhile. Hit a pretty good weight smoothly. 8)

I should try bands. I've been working on my quads and glutes at home with very limited equipment. Just using bodyweight, high reps and three workouts a week, I've added almost an inch to my quads in the last month. If I'd used bands, it would likely have been more.