Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409094 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #675 on: October 01, 2015, 07:49:14 PM »
delts/bi's/forearms

supersets for delts

fr presses and side delt raises x3 135/145/155/155,,20/25/30/30

cable rear raises and upright rows x3

side raises at sides hammer grip raise up in a angle 'like making a snow angel'no homo..with 45 lb plate fr raises

bis
caable curls x3 90/110/120
seated hammer rope curls x3
seated curl machine padded elbow version x3
db curls 30/35/35

forearms
weighted rope rolls x3
reverse wrist curls x3
reverse fr cable curls x3

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #676 on: October 01, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »
Heavy back day
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #677 on: October 01, 2015, 10:08:27 PM »
Heavy back day

SON OF A BITCH WHAT DID I SAY?  >:(

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #678 on: October 02, 2015, 02:41:34 AM »
Ran two miles today slow.  Slightly under 9 minute per mile pace.  Felt exhausted prior and I should have just rested but in the end I'm glad I did it. Tomorrow is back and delt.
did an early morning run today. Tonight no time. Donīt like running early on an empty stomach.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #679 on: October 02, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »
Back and delts. No warm ups listed:

Pull ups 2 x max (dead hang to the bar just about touching chest. Elbows all the way down.)
Low cable rows 2 x 12 170 lbs.(My machine that's heavy compared to the commercial gym. A lot of friction in my home unit)
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 80lbs (again all the way down and all the way up)
Reverse pulley pulldowns 2 x 10

Military press 2 x 8 ( bar touches my upper chest/delt region for each rep to full extension)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs (strict form)
One arm pulley laterals 1 x 10
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs

Deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 320lbs (I like doing these last when I'm fatigued so I can't use much weight.)

Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 240lbs.

Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head ( I use the old fashion horizontal one. The new 45 degree one the resistance completely falls off once you get near the top. I also like to use either a barbell or plate behind my neck/trap region instead of the hold a plate near your stomach. There is no leverage against your lower back holding a plate there. )

weighted floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind head.

When I lift I try to think how I can make an exercise harder instead of easier. I'm there to work the muscle and not impress my ego or others. Making it harder is trying to use the greatest range of motion possible using good form with a reasonable cadence to the rep.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #680 on: October 02, 2015, 08:41:03 AM »
Back and delts. No warm ups listed:

Pull ups 2 x max (dead hang to the bar just about touching chest. Elbows all the way down.)
Low cable rows 2 x 12 170 lbs.(My machine that's heavy compared to the commercial gym. A lot of friction in my home unit)
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 80lbs (again all the way down and all the way up)
Reverse pulley pulldowns 2 x 10

Military press 2 x 8 ( bar touches my upper chest/delt region for each rep to full extension)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs (strict form)
One arm pulley laterals 1 x 10
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs

Deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 320lbs (I like doing these last when I'm fatigued so I can't use much weight.)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head ( I use the old fashion horizontal one. The new 45 degree one the resistance completely falls off once you get near the top. I also like to use either a barbell or plate behind my neck/trap region instead of the hold a plate near your stomach. There is no leverage against your lower back holding a plate there. )

weighted floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind head.

When I lift I try to think how I can make an exercise harder instead of easier. I'm there to work the muscle and not impress my ego or others. Making it harder is trying to use the greatest range of motion possible using good form with a reasonable cadence to the rep.
rich last line you wrote yeah slowing the rep/supersets with still decent load 'weight'wise will yield same result 'different  road'taken,i am doing this for a stretch while dr told me to take it easy 'heavy 'lifting'LEG WISE AT LEAST SHUT DOWN FOR A WHILE...I like superset /tri sets..i like to pump muscle,,don't get me wrong 6-8 reps are great at times and I like to add weight each set if possible,but change is good too..

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #681 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »
I havent trained yet but today Im re-introducing heavier compound movements back into my training, I really miss them
Bench
Military
Close Grips

also plan to do a 3 mile run (75% run 25% walk)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #682 on: October 02, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »
rich last line you wrote yeah slowing the rep/supersets with still decent load 'weight'wise will yield same result 'different  road'taken,i am doing this for a stretch while dr told me to take it easy 'heavy 'lifting'LEG WISE AT LEAST SHUT DOWN FOR A WHILE...I like superset /tri sets..i like to pump muscle,,don't get me wrong 6-8 reps are great at times and I like to add weight each set if possible,but change is good too..

I talked to two guys that said this and I absorbed it. They both said when they got over 55 it wasn't about the weight anymore. One said light to moderate weights with high reps gave him fantastic results. The other said you can get the same results with moderate weights.  At first you think it won't work but you fatigue the muscle instead of just trying to get the weight up.

Yes, change is good but I train like a broken record.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #683 on: October 02, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »
I talked to two guys that said this and I absorbed it. They both said when they got over 55 it wasn't about the weight anymore. One said light to moderate weights with high reps gave him fantastic results. The other said you can get the same results with moderate weights.  At first you think it won't work but you fatigue the muscle instead of just trying to get the weight up.

Yes, change is good but I train like a broken record.
rich believe me we are very alike,,,i finally broke down after 'i broke down' last couple yrs 2x that made me redirect things,,,my build is best it has ever looked with less focus on how much weight as oppossed to how i lift it and execute it and the blood volume ,,its not always that way or perfect,,and i 2nd guess certain workouts all the time,,then i realize who the fuk am i?i'm not getting paid for it,its not life or death,,i'm not in my 30's anymore,,get over it/yourself and for me be the best 47 yr old there is,,,that gets me through it...

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #684 on: October 02, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »
Wow I hit a wall today like no ones business. Weights went fine then I went on the treadmill. 20 minutes in its like I went from fine to absolutely nothing left. It was bizarre

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #685 on: October 03, 2015, 02:28:15 AM »
Circuit Boxing workout and then cycle today.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #686 on: October 03, 2015, 05:51:08 AM »
Circuit Boxing workout and then cycle today.
8),,go d

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #687 on: October 03, 2015, 07:51:02 AM »
Today is a day off. Had too many beers yesterday but I don't feel too bad.  Driving to the boardwalk to watch the ocean waves. We are under a Tropical storm watch and I can't wait to see the waves. Bet anything there will be guys out in wet suits surfing.  They will look like black shadows on the water in the storm. I guess they have no fear of the rip tides that must be ferocious in this storm.

NJ Flex I will have a classic Jersey shore sausage and peppers sandwich at the Midway if they are open for lunch. Really tempted to body surf the waves but I think it would be suicide with my very ordinary swimming ability. I had to take a one month boating school at work and on the final day to pass you had to swim about 400 meters for a time standard. I made it, barely. Compared to the guy in the lane next to me doing fluid effortless strokes they said I looked like someone having an epileptic seizure with all the water I was splashing. Not a good swimmer here.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #688 on: October 03, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »
Today is a day off. Had too many beers yesterday but I don't feel too bad.  Driving to the boardwalk to watch the ocean waves. We are under a Tropical storm watch and I can't wait to see the waves. Bet anything there will be guys out in wet suits surfing.  They will look like black shadows on the water in the storm. I guess they have no fear of the rip tides that must be ferocious in this storm.

NJ Flex I will have a classic Jersey shore sausage and peppers sandwich at the Midway if they are open for lunch. Really tempted to body surf the waves but I think it would be suicide with my very ordinary swimming ability. I had to take a one month boating school at work and on the final day to pass you had to swim about 400 meters for a time standard. I made it, barely. Compared to the guy in the lane next to me doing fluid effortless strokes they said I looked like someone having an epileptic seizure with all the water I was splashing. Not a good swimmer here.
8)AND A LEMONADE..AND THEN A KOHLERS TWIST..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #689 on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
rich believe me we are very alike,,,i finally broke down after 'i broke down' last couple yrs 2x that made me redirect things,,,my build is best it has ever looked with less focus on how much weight as oppossed to how i lift it and execute it and the blood volume ,,its not always that way or perfect,,and i 2nd guess certain workouts all the time,,then i realize who the fuk am i?i'm not getting paid for it,its not life or death,,i'm not in my 30's anymore,,get over it/yourself and for me be the best 47 yr old there is,,,that gets me through it...

Imagine how one might feel about bodybuilding when they are 71. I agree with your statement, "Be the best (insert age) year old there is..."

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #690 on: October 03, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
All you can is be the best with what God has given you.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #691 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
All you can is be the best with what God has given you.

being that there is no such thing as "god", whats the next best step?

and this is not trolling

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #692 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »
being that there is no such thing as "god", whats the next best step?

and this is not trolling

All you can be is the best with what genetics has given you.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #693 on: October 04, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
heavy legs are on rest mode for a few wks ,,on dr orders

quads did extensions light for me sets 6 20/15/15/12/12/12

ham curls seated and lying 7 sets

calves 8 sets

rode bike

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #694 on: October 04, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
I did 2 miles this morning on an empty stomach. I dont get cardio tired, my right knee wants to give up on me and the botttom of both my calves tighten up like a mother fucker

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #695 on: October 04, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
Took the entire weekend off. Last week I got 3 good lifting sessions and 2 good runs in. Even one day of heavy bag work too after a run. The runs are under 9 minute pace so I'm moving in a positive direction concerning the nerve damage to my foot.  Looking forward to tomorrows workout.

Having my future son in law over for dinner. He's a jui jitsu guy who weighs about 240lbs. He constantly wants me to come over his dojo to roll on the mats. I haven't been on the mats for over 15 years and it's not like riding a bike.  Just don't want to do it at this stage of my life.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #696 on: October 04, 2015, 01:58:08 PM »
8)AND A LEMONADE..AND THEN A KOHLERS TWIST..

Couldn't get any of that. Everything was closed for the storm. Just got a slice of pizza at Marrucas. The waves are insane.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #697 on: October 05, 2015, 02:53:59 AM »
Took the entire weekend off. Last week I got 3 good lifting sessions and 2 good runs in. Even one day of heavy bag work too after a run. The runs are under 9 minute pace so I'm moving in a positive direction concerning the nerve damage to my foot.  Looking forward to tomorrows workout.

Having my future son in law over for dinner. He's a jui jitsu guy who weighs about 240lbs. He constantly wants me to come over his dojo to roll on the mats. I haven't been on the mats for over 15 years and it's not like riding a bike.  Just don't want to do it at this stage of my life.
I am sure you will get back into it. I am enjoying helping out at the School i train at now. Seems to help my hand too. Training wise today i will go running in the evening in the woods.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #698 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Did Chest and arms: Used moderate weights. I did what I can with my slap tear shoulder

Flat dumbbell bench 2 x 8 75lbs. ( Went all the way down not the usual upper arms parallel with the floor)

Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 65lbs (touched shoulders with the edge of the  dumbbells on the way down each rep.)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs ( Tried to stretch deep.)
Push ups 2 x max ( done quickly after last set of flat flies is really tough.)

EZ bar curl 2 x 10 85 lbs
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 40 lbs
Single arm pulley curls 2 x 12

Weighted dips 2 x 8 20 lbs. (Went deep)
traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
reverse grip single arm tricep extension 2 x 12

Forearm wrist curls 2 x 20 85 lbs
Reverse leverage bar extensions 2 x 15

Situps on an incline board 1 x 30
Weighted feet up crunches 1 x 40
Pulley crunches 2 x 30

Ivanko gripper 2 x 20

Using lighter weights to give my body a break. I've been training hard for about 3 months and my body is beginning to rebel.  Hopefully after a moderate weight week I'll be in the mood for heavier weights next week.

Gym Observations: Who am I kidding. I'm back in my basement. Miss the girls in yoga pants. I think I will join a gym again for a couple of months but I will try a different gym near my house. I heard the one I mentioned is more hardcore than the one my wife got me a 3 month membership too. Just don't want to train in a dump. I have to check this new gym out. I haven't set foot in it for 12 years. I know women don't like hardcore dungeon type gyms. The gym is owned by some guy that's into martial arts.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #699 on: October 05, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
2 mile run in the a.m.

afternoon
jump rope 1 minute--to--shadow box 1 minute--to--hit bag 1 minute--to--hard stair stepper 1 minute--to--knee ups for abs--to--some ab exercise i dont know name of
repeated this 5 times

then
took a couple minutes off
shadow box 2 minutes--to--harddd stepper 1 minute---to--knees to the groin (lol)
repeated this 5 times