Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 406654 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:14 PM »
It's for sure that I have had too much to drink on more than a couple of occasions. What is weird is that I don't get hangovers. The only thing I do to avoid them is drink a lot of water, since alcohol dehydrates us. It is even rarer that I actually get drunk. This is probably because I can't ever give up control.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't a fall down out of control drunk. Anything over 4 drinks I feel the next day. I had 5 beers in the sun.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
chest/tris at home

sit up chest press x3 wide grip
inc db pressx3
dropped bench just under inc level for in between inc/flat flyes x2
dec flye x2,,2nd set did 1-2 flyes and followed with 2 press reps ,,,8 reps each good burn combo..
back to sit up press did side grips supersetted with push ups 10 reps and 15 pushups
standalone 20 rep pushups finish

tris
incline skullcrushers x3 did mix reps 1-2 skullcrushers and then follow 2 presses till i hit 8-8 ea
pushdowns x4
extensions db lying x3 arms across to side head extend out.
finished db  at chest db's close press straight up x15 x2.

abs 100 or so reps various crunches/leg lifts

This might seem weird, but we old dudes often get the sagging pecs look. I worry that too much emphasis on declines will exuberate this. It is a shame because doing declines feels so good. I just don't want to end up having tits. I'm not Cait.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:38 AM »
thursday , day off from lifting swam a mile non-stop took me 43 minures. fri arms and abs [flabs]
Iīm going today after Physio. It really feels relaxing after getting my neck stretched...relax a bit too in the whirl pool.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2015, 02:47:15 AM »
This might seem weird, but we old dudes often get the sagging pecs look. I worry that too much emphasis on declines will exuberate this. It is a shame because doing declines feels so good. I just don't want to end up having tits. I'm not Cait.  ;D
Girondas advice on this:

neck press on the smith machine press up to within an inch of lockout 4x8/12 30/45 secs between sets
cut out all lower pec work  and regular bench presses.
stick to neck presses,incline DB press and low incline flyes(25 Degrees)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2015, 04:23:35 AM »
Decline presses is one of the best pec exercises going. Even though Dorian Yates didn't do them in his prime I saw a youtube with him saying in effect it was a great pec exercise. It's also is a good exercise for those with shoulder/pec tie in problems. It doesn't seem to aggravate the area.

Regarding droopy pecs as we age I think it's three problems in my humble opinion. One is added fat to the region. Second is increased estrogen as we age. Third is losing the elasticity of the skin. I fail to see how adding muscle to the region would be a bad thing. Truth be told I have rarely done declines. They feel really awkward to me because I hardly use them. When I do I feel zero stress on my bad shoulders. Reading this Prime's post has motivated me to try them again. I just feel I need a spotter and this gym is weird in that many see asking for spot as a rude thing interrupting their work out.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2015, 06:01:25 AM »
Girondas advice on this:

neck press on the smith machine press up to within an inch of lockout 4x8/12 30/45 secs between sets
yep....good points and i do this workout as well at times esp low inc i like them for flyes,,,i do decline flyes'donny'recommendation and stuck with them,,in the end are chest/pec shape is what it is ..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2015, 06:35:34 AM »
Decline presses is one of the best pec exercises going. Even though Dorian Yates didn't do them in his prime I saw a youtube with him saying in effect it was a great pec exercise. It also is a good exercise for those with shoulder/pec tie in problems. It doesn't seem to aggravate the area.

Regarding droopy pecs as we age I think it's three problems in my humble opinion. One is added fat to the region. Second is increased estrogen as we age. Third is losing the elasticity of the skin. I fail to see how adding muscle to the region would be a bad thing. Truth be told I have rarely done declines. They feel really award to me because I hardly use them. When I do I feel zero stress on my bad shoulders. Reading this Prime's post has motivated me to try them again. I just feel I need a spotter and this gym is weird in that many see asking for spot as a rude thing interrupting their work out.
Declines and Parallel Bar dips i like doing...or did  :'( I was doing some Lying ez bar extensions again today. wanted to go swimming but after physio i got a visitor...will go for a run later.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »
Swimming is definitely good for your joints as it is no impact as opposed to jogging, running or skipping rope, etc.
walked 5 miles swam 1 mile and will now attempt an hour and a half arm and ab workout never did them in this order before... :o :o :o :o :o
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:15 AM »
Yesterday i did this workout and feel no pain today in my neck...touch wood :D

Incline BB bench press 3x10-15
BB rows 3x10-15
BB military press 3x10-15
EZ Bar curls 3x10-15
Lying EZ bar extensions 3x10-15
BB Front squats  ;D 3x15
crunches 2xmax
Standing calf raises no weight just high reps till Burn.

workout in that order. most do legs first but i like that order. On the rows i was going to do supported rows/one arm DB rows but thought Bollocks just used light weights on all exercises. Today i am doing cardio.   LIGHTWEIGHT BABY  ;D ;D Before the workout i thought itīll work or tomorrow iīm fucked and in the hospital. I did use perfect form and light weights just doing reps...still i feel good today. need to start slowly and this workout and the circuits will get me where i wanna be.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
Girondas advice on this:

Thanks for this information. I think I'd miss some of the moves Vince suggests should be omitted. The Hammer Strength bench press has a slight incline, so maybe it is okay. Neck presses seem like they'd mostly work shoulders, but what do I know?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
Decline presses is one of the best pec exercises going. Even though Dorian Yates didn't do them in his prime I saw a youtube with him saying in effect it was a great pec exercise. It's also is a good exercise for those with shoulder/pec tie in problems. It doesn't seem to aggravate the area.

Regarding droopy pecs as we age I think it's three problems in my humble opinion. One is added fat to the region. Second is increased estrogen as we age. Third is losing the elasticity of the skin. I fail to see how adding muscle to the region would be a bad thing. Truth be told I have rarely done declines. They feel really awkward to me because I hardly use them. When I do I feel zero stress on my bad shoulders. Reading this Prime's post has motivated me to try them again. I just feel I need a spotter and this gym is weird in that many see asking for spot as a rude thing interrupting their work out.

You'd think a muscle would be a benefit to sagging skin. I don't have an excess of fat there, especially since I've lost weight. Too much estrogen is not my problem, there is absolutely no indication of gyno. I have pointy nipples with no underlying breast tissue or fat.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Yesterday I worked back and shoulders. I started out with 26 minutes of cardio. Heart rate at about 105.

Tried the half front and half behind the neck pull-downs. The behind the neck ones were difficult. Resistance wasn't a problem so much as finding a comfortable position. 4 X 6 and 6.

Low cable pulls - 3 X 12

Shrugs using the cable and a wide bar. 4 X 10

Lateral dumbbell raises - 4 X 12

Overhead presses - 3 X 12, 10, 8 (I used too much resistance and pooped out a little more with each set)

Nautilus crunches - 3 X 15

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
Worked delts and arms.

Dumbbell press 2 x 10
Dumbbell laterals 3 x 10
Rear Laterals 2 x 10
D ring handle shoulder pulley lateral 1 x 10
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Weighted dips 2 x 10
Behind neck tricep pulley extension machine 2 x 10
Traditional tricep push downs 3x10

EZ curl 2 x 10
Machine bicep curls 3 x 10
Dumbbell alternate curls 2 x 8
Rope curls 2 x 12

forearm wrist curls 2 x 20
reverse barbell curls 2 x 10

Ab coaster 2 x 23 25lbs
Machine ab twist 2 x 10 per side

Gym Observations:

1. Met a friend of my daughter and her fiancee. He's a real success story. He was incredibly fat in high school. He was also picked on and treated like crap by other boys.  He joined a gym and started taking MMA/ jui jitsu lessons.  Fast forward to his mid twenties.  He lost all the weight and looks like a solid American football running back. He competes in jui jitsu.  He also has a nice career going with a beautiful red headed girlfriend.  I like stories with a happy ending.  

2.  There was a pumping type bodybuilder working out with his girlfriend. He really used very moderate weights and appeared to never push himself. His girlfriend pointed out how much weight another guy was using doing the same exercise as her boyfriend and it seemed to hurt his ego. He made a flippant comment something like that's way too much weight.

3. I'm training with what is heavy weights for me and relatively low sets. Thinking about lowering the weight just a bit and maybe doing 4 sets an exercise. I just can't stop with the power bodybuilding mentality.  Like today I started bicep curls by doing strict ez bar curls with 100lbs for two sets before moving on to other bicep exercises. What if I did 80lbs for four fast sets for strict curls instead of what I'm doing?  

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
Worked delts and arms.

Dumbbell press 2 x 10
Dumbbell laterals 3 x 10
Rear Laterals 2 x 10
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Weighted dips 2 x 10

EZ curl 2 x 10
Rope curls 2 x 12

Ab coaster 2 x 23 25lbs

Gym Observations:

1. Met a friend of my daughter and her fiancee. He's a real success story. He was incredibly fat in high school. He was also picked on and treated like crap by other boys.  He joined a gym and started taking MMA/ jui jitsu lessons.  Fast forward to his mid twenties.  He lost all the weight and looks like a solid American football running back. He competes in jui jitsu.  He also has a nice career going with a beautiful red headed girlfriend.  I like stories with a happy ending.  

2.  There was a pumping type bodybuilder working out with his girlfriend. He really used very moderate weights and appeared to never push himself. His girlfriend pointed out how much weight another guy was using doing the same exercise as her boyfriend and it seemed to hurt his ego. He made a flippant comment something like that's way too much weight.

3. I'm training with what is heavy weights for me and relatively low sets. Thinking about lowering the weight just a bit and maybe doing 4 sets an exercise. I just can't stop with the power bodybuilding mentality.  Like today I started bicep curls by doing strict ez bar curls with 100lbs for two sets before moving on to other bicep exercises. What if I did 80lbs for four fast sets for strict curls instead of what I'm doing?  

What if you did 4 sets with 100#'s?? :o
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »
Worked delts and arms.

Dumbbell press 2 x 10
Dumbbell laterals 3 x 10
Rear Laterals 2 x 10
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Weighted dips 2 x 10

EZ curl 2 x 10
Rope curls 2 x 12

Ab coaster 2 x 23 25lbs

Gym Observations:

Fast and strict might be challenging. It doesn't seem compatible.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2015, 01:10:56 AM »
Going to do another full body blast today, warm up and some neck stretches then straight into it. I am actually enjoying just going for a burn and fatigue no Ego lifts for this Kid ;D good to see this thread is thriving  ;) Well done Rich.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:09 AM »
Did basically the same workout today as last time except one or two more sets here and there. I also did some Barbell Hacks today which were good and felt a slight stretch in my right side of my neck. Obviously the weight hanging down behind me stretches your upper back/neck area. I thought why not try it because at physio we stretch it too.. did two sets then two sets front squats. LIGHTWEIGHT BABY  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2015, 06:19:29 AM »
Thanks for this information. I think I'd miss some of the moves Vince suggests should be omitted. The Hammer Strength bench press has a slight incline, so maybe it is okay. Neck presses seem like they'd mostly work shoulders, but what do I know?
I myself donīt agree with all his exercises. Sissy squats are not for me. Great stretch but hard on the knees. Of course some get great results from these even holding a weight plate for extra resistance. He did promote the "power leg extension" leaning back stretching  and hitting the sartorius muscle  which is said to be the longest muscle in the Human Body. I find the "power leg extension" better for me.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
This is along with Drag curls an exercise i can recommend..

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
good to see this thread is thriving  ;) Well done Rich.
Yes, let's see if we can get this one to 200+ pages before your ego gets out of control and you ruin this one as well. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:24 AM »
Yes, let's see if we can get this one to 200+ pages before your ego gets out of control and you ruin this one as well. :D
Chaos you are just not a good loser are you? why the hate?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »
Chaos you are just not a good loser are you? why the hate?
Truth = hate? You sound like a scorned minority.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »
Truth = hate? You sound like a scorned minority.
you seem to want to wreck any training thread i am on. I know you are Fat and not really suited to be a mod on the training section. Step back and let Ronald make a better man fill that position.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »
you seem to want to wreck any training thread i am on. I know you are Fat and not really suited to be a mod on the training section. Step back and let Ronald make a better man fill that position.
Post up a pic, rep counter, lets compare. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2015, 09:59:12 AM »
Post up a pic, rep counter, lets compare. :D
your pictures are enough to show you are not suited to the training Board.