Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 408908 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #700 on: October 05, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
chest/tri/abs

fdbell press,,after warm set,,65/75/80/80..12/10/8/6
inc press dbell 60/65/70..10/10/8
flat flye 45/50/50 10/8/8
low cable flyes x3
dips superset with pushups 15x15x2

tris
overhead cable extensions x4..12/10/10/10
rope pushdowns x3..10/10/1o
dbell lying extensions x3 ..sets 10
2 sets dip machine 15 reps

abs

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #701 on: October 06, 2015, 02:04:22 AM »
keep it up mature men of iron  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2015, 08:11:29 AM »
The dreaded leg day:

Leg press 2 x 15 8 plates and two 5's.That's 4 plates a side.  (Went really deep. I notice the gym norm is to load the machine with a million plates and do shallow knee bends. Even most of the pros in the videos do this. The muscle gets hit the hardest using a complete range of controlled motion. It's just common physics/math of energy used)
squat 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
leg extension 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2 x 15
standing leg curl 2 x 10

side bend with single dumbbell 1 x 15 (I know for a bodybuilder this is a no but I'm not a bodybuilder)
hanging leg raise 2 x 20
ab wheel 2 x 20 (tried to roll out far)
machine pulley crunches 2 x 30

leg press calf 2 x 25
standing 2 x 15 300lbs
Seated calf 2  15 85lbs
tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck work

Noticed I work out slower at home than in a commercial gym. I guess I day dream and listen to the music too much. I have to be conscience of this next time. I also go faster in a commercial gym because the machines in general are select a weight with a pin pull. Every thing I have in my basement is plate loaded. Tomorrow is running and heavy bag work.  It will be a much needed day off from lifting.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #703 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:36 AM »
The dreaded leg day:

Leg press 2 x 15 8 plates and two 5's.That's 4 plates a side.  (Went really deep. I notice the gym norm is to load the machine with a million plates and do shallow knee bends. Even most of the pros in the videos do this. The muscle gets hit the hardest using a complete range of controlled motion. It's just common physics/math of energy used)
squat 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
leg extension 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2 x 15
standing leg curl 2 x 10

side bend with single dumbbell 1 x 15 (I know for a bodybuilder this is a no but I'm not a bodybuilder)
hanging leg raise 2 x 20
ab wheel 2 x 20 (tried to roll out far)
machine pulley crunches 2 x 30

leg press calf 2 x 25
standing 2 x 15 300lbs
Seated calf 2  15 85lbs
tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck work

Noticed I work out slower at home than in a commercial gym. I guess I day dream and listen to the music too much. I have to be conscience of this next time. I also go faster in a commercial gym because the machines in general are select a weight with a pin pull. Every thing I have in my basement is plate loaded. Tomorrow is running and heavy bag work.  It will be a much needed day off from lifting.
Rich get that Jui Jitsu training in there too.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #704 on: October 06, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »
NICE WORK RICH....YEAH LEG PRESSES MOST KIDS IN MY GYM AND A FEW OLDER TRAINEES PUT WAYYYY TOOO  MUCH ON PRESS FOR 1/4 RANGE ,,I HIT CHEST/RIBS AND STILL DO 14 -15 TOTAL PLATES FOR REPS 8-12 DEPENDING ,,SOMETIMES I DO 10 PLATES 5 PER SIDE FOR 15-20 REPS SICK PUMP...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #705 on: October 06, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »
Reference the leg press I notice one of the tricks of the "I put a truck of weight on crowd" is keeping the back board high. This way the knees can hit the chest while barely bending. Yates mentioned this in one of this articles. He said keep the back board low so you can get your legs back.

Donny, my jui jitsu days are over. Truth be told I wasn't that good at it and I am a better striker than a submission wrestler.  If I consider anything I might go to the local community college and join the Judo club but I doubt it.  I did my time and I'm out to stud now.  ;D

I remember the day I quit jui jitsu. The instructor said get someone in the full mount and punch him. Bottom guy try to get out of it. One of the instructors got on top of me and started whacking me. I couldn't get him off and everything I tried he countered. When they said switch positions the instructor that just whacked me said I'm an instructor I don't need the practice in this drill. I never got a chance to punch him in the face back. I drove home thinking what the fuck am I doing this for?  It was the same realization that I quit boxing after 5 fights. Four of which I won. I really don't like getting hit in the face.  ;D That's why I'm still pretty now.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #706 on: October 06, 2015, 09:13:37 AM »
NICE WORK RICH....YEAH LEG PRESSES MOST KIDS IN MY GYM AND A FEW OLDER TRAINEES PUT WAYYYY TOOO  MUCH ON PRESS FOR 1/4 RANGE ,,I HIT CHEST/RIBS AND STILL DO 14 -15 TOTAL PLATES FOR REPS 8-12 DEPENDING ,,SOMETIMES I DO 10 PLATES 5 PER SIDE FOR 15-20 REPS SICK PUMP...
Yes full range is always the way to go. no ego. maybe some partials at the end or Burns.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #707 on: October 06, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »
Reference the leg press I notice one of the tricks of the "I put a truck of weight on crowd" is keeping the back board high. This way the knees can hit the chest while barely bending. Yates mentioned this in one of this articles. He said keep the back board low so you can get your legs back.

Donny, my jui jitsu days are over. Truth be told I wasn't that good at it and I am a better striker than a submission wrestler.  If I consider anything I might go to the local community college and join the Judo club but I doubt it.  I did my time and I'm out to stud now.  ;D

I remember the day I quit jui jitsu. The instructor said get someone in the full mount and punch him. Bottom guy try to get out of it. One of the instructors got on top of me and started whacking me. I couldn't get him off and everything I tried he countered. When they said switch positions the instructor that just whacked me said I'm an instructor I don't need the practice in this drill. I never got a chance to punch him in the face back. I drove home thinking what the fuck am I doing this for?  It was the same realization that I quit boxing after 5 fights. Four of which I won. I really don't like getting hit in the face.  ;D That's why I'm still pretty now.
you are a good man. I think also harder than you think. I love now getting into Wing Tzun again. Always was more of a boxer  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #708 on: October 06, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »
Yes full range is always the way to go. no ego. maybe some partials at the end or Burns.
YEP...

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #709 on: October 06, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Training and paleo took a back seat today to laziness and an entire pumpkin pie  :D :D :D

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #710 on: October 07, 2015, 03:31:15 AM »
chest/tri/abs

fdbell press,,after warm set,,65/75/80/80..12/10/8/6
inc press dbell 60/65/70..10/10/8
flat flye 45/50/50 10/8/8
low cable flyes x3
dips superset with pushups 15x15x2

tris
overhead cable extensions x4..12/10/10/10
rope pushdowns x3..10/10/1o
dbell lying extensions x3 ..sets 10
2 sets dip machine 15 reps

abs

I did the same yesterday (Chest, Tri's, Abs), different exercises though:

Chest

Flat bench press (barbell) - 4 sets
Close grip bench - 4 sets
Cable cross overs - 4 sets

Tri's

JM Press - 4 Sets
Weighted dips - 4 sets
Rope pushdowns - 4 sets

Abs (LOL)

100 crunches (lame)   :D

Also

20 minutes on bike in the AM (3.5 miles)
20 minute walk at lunch time

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #711 on: October 07, 2015, 03:40:12 AM »
I did the same yesterday (Chest, Tri's, Abs), different exercises though:

Chest

Flat bench press (barbell) - 4 sets
Close grip bench - 4 sets
Cable cross overs - 4 sets

Tri's

JM Press - 4 Sets
Weighted dips - 4 sets
Rope pushdowns - 4 sets

Abs (LOL)

100 crunches (lame)   :D

Also

20 minutes on bike in the AM (3.5 miles)
20 minute walk at lunch time

JM press...nice

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #712 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »
Had a planned cardio day today but I'm shot and didn't do it. I think for the most part I'm pretty disciplined.  Tomorrow is back and delt day. Friday I will get a good cardio day in.

Yates once said you shouldn't listen to instinct because instinct will always tell you to rest.  I disagree in that if you are doing your workouts every week and not missing days then at least once in awhile you can skip a workout due to fatigue. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #713 on: October 07, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »
Had a planned cardio day today but I'm shot and didn't do it. I think for the most part I'm pretty disciplined.  Tomorrow is back and delt day. Friday I will get a good cardio day in.

Yates once said you shouldn't listen to instinct because instinct will always tell you to rest.  I disagree in that if you are doing your workouts every week and not missing days then at least once in awhile you can skip a workout due to fatigue. 
I go by how i feel. If i feel tired not necessarily fatigued but i know if i ran i canīt give it what i want.. i rest a Day and Bingo..i run and itīs productive.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #714 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »
Likely not training today. The contractor and his crew have been working on the "money pit" last week and this. That's my excuse. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #715 on: October 07, 2015, 05:12:10 PM »
All the work you had on that house you could have bought the house you wanted.  Just playing. Hope it comes out fantastic. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #716 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
All the work you had on that house you could have bought the house you wanted.  Just playing. Hope it comes out fantastic. 

You know, you are right. It was the house we wanted at the time we bought it. It is 30 years old now. Things fail overtime. Part of the current work is repairing the sloppy job the window installer did 10 years ago. -Should be simple. Unfortunately, some dry rot was discovered, which has to be fixed whether I stay here or sell.  This little project is costing me near $2,000 a day in labor + materials which so far have come to about $1,600. The guys have been here four 4 days now. This doesn't include the price for painting it, which is a little over $9,000. Should have burned it down. The deductible is only $10,000. Unfortunately, I am too honest to do such a thing.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #717 on: October 08, 2015, 05:42:24 AM »
LATE TRAINING FOR ME IN PM,SO WHEN I GOT TO GYM I HAD IDEA WHAT WORKOUT AND TIME I WOULD DO ,,

BACK PERFORMED TRISETS

1ST ROUND X3 ,,TBAR ROW /LOW CABLE ROWS/PULLDOWNS BEHIND NECK..10REPS PER

2ND ROUND ..STANDING STRETCH PULL ROPE TO WAIST/SHRUGS ON CHEST MACHINE./AND SEATED ROPE PULLS TO FACE..10REPS PER

FINISHED WITH CLOSE GRIP CHINUPS X3 AND 45 PLATE PER HAND SIDE SHRUGS

WEIGHTED HYPERS X3

ABS

CALVES 200/200/220/220 ON STANDING CALF RAISE 

HAD GREAT STAMINA AND GREAT PUMP MOVED FAST...AND STILL MOVED SOME GOOD WEIGHT CLOSE TO WHAT I USUALLY DO WHEN DOING NORMAL ROUTINE...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #718 on: October 08, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
Back and delts:

Pull ups 2 x max
Low cable rows 2 x 12 175lbs
Dumbbell rows 2 x 8 90lbs (all the way down and up)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Military press 2 x 8-6 (cleaned weight from floor and started each rep from my shoulders. I get more from this than the usual half press I see in the gym in the smith machine using 225lbs. Lighter weight and a full range hits the muscle harder)
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10 28lbs
D handle one arm delt pulley lateral 1 x 10
Rear delt Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2 x 4 305lbs then 1 x 1 330lbs
Weighted hypers 2 x 12 35lbs plate behind head

Weighted crunches 1 x 40

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #719 on: October 08, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
Back and delts:

Pull ups 2 x max
Low cable rows 2 x 12 175lbs
Dumbbell rows 2 x 8 90lbs (all the way down and up)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Military press 2 x 8-6 (cleaned weight from floor and started each rep from my shoulders. I get more from this than the usual half press I see in the gym in the smith machine using 225lbs. Lighter weight and a full range hits the muscle harder)
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10 28lbs
D handle one arm delt pulley lateral 1 x 10
Rear delt Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2 x 4 305lbs then 1 x 1 330lbs
Weighted hypers 2 x 12 35lbs plate behind head

Weighted crunches 1 x 40

2 seems to be  your working sets that by design?or peak weight sets..

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #720 on: October 08, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
just did 4 miles on the treadmill which is my longest run ever, also had my best 1 mile splits and also had a few incline runs mixed in. Very pleased

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #721 on: October 08, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
2 seems to be  your working sets that by design?or peak weight sets..

A little confused Flex by what you're asking. Two sets are work sets to failure or close to it. The majority of the time it's the same weight. I use a warm up set as needed but never list them.  For example in the leg press I do two warm up sets prior to my two work sets. For my four lat exercises I might use one warm up set on the low rows. Dumbbell rows and reverse grip pull down get no warm up sets because I am ready to go right to the work sets. Many times I don't use a warm up as the workout goes on. Especially when doing the second exercise for a body part.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #722 on: October 08, 2015, 06:24:11 PM »
A little confused Flex by what you're asking. Two sets are work sets to failure or close to it. The majority of the time it's the same weight. I use a warm up set as needed but never list them.  For example in the leg press I do two warm up sets prior to my two work sets. For my four lat exercises I might use one warm up set on the low rows. Dumbbell rows and reverse grip pull down get no warm up sets because I am ready to go right to the work sets. Many times I don't use a warm up as the workout goes on. Especially when doing the second exercise for a body part.  

What inspired this type of routine for you?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #723 on: October 08, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
8)...i get it...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #724 on: October 09, 2015, 02:05:18 AM »
LATE TRAINING FOR ME IN PM,SO WHEN I GOT TO GYM I HAD IDEA WHAT WORKOUT AND TIME I WOULD DO ,,

BACK PERFORMED TRISETS

1ST ROUND X3 ,,TBAR ROW /LOW CABLE ROWS/PULLDOWNS BEHIND NECK..10REPS PER

2ND ROUND ..STANDING STRETCH PULL ROPE TO WAIST/SHRUGS ON CHEST MACHINE./AND SEATED ROPE PULLS TO FACE..10REPS PER

FINISHED WITH CLOSE GRIP CHINUPS X3 AND 45 PLATE PER HAND SIDE SHRUGS

WEIGHTED HYPERS X3

ABS

CALVES 200/200/220/220 ON STANDING CALF RAISE 

HAD GREAT STAMINA AND GREAT PUMP MOVED FAST...AND STILL MOVED SOME GOOD WEIGHT CLOSE TO WHAT I USUALLY DO WHEN DOING NORMAL ROUTINE...
Then you are definitely on target if you are still lifting near your normal weights. I will do some supersets today. Full body but as Rich says itīs not easy and not just for beginners. Depends on how you work and rest. Look at Steve Reeves he had limited equipment while serving in the Philipines he had a 100 pound Barbell set and at a bodyweight of 203 he squated 100 times non stop.. always a way... keep pumpin  :)