Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 408552 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #725 on: October 09, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »
Light week this week.  Getting more soreness with these light weeks.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #726 on: October 09, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
Light week this week.  Getting more soreness with these light weeks.
its good body gets a dose of a different weight load/rep scheme/forcing muscle to feel a lighter weight seem heavy..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #727 on: October 09, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
despite some of our bickering and sometimes trolling wars ,i think some of us pick up some new ideas or lost exercises other do here and we could apply to our own workouts,,case in point the delt day triset 'donny'likes...

triset x4 laterals.front raises,rear raises all seated,,db 15/20/25/25
fr press,135,145,155,165
cable up rights x3
behind back cable raises x3

bi's
curls straight bar 10/10/10/8 ..65-115
seated cable rope hammers pull to face 'flex'
db curls standing 30/35/40
seated curl machine x2

forarms
rope rollups weighted x3
behind back cable wrist curls x4

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #728 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:56 AM »
Ran two slow 9 minute miles yesterday. Doing nothing today. Hitting the Rutgers vs Michigan game tonight. My nephew invited me and the wife to the game and his amazing pre game cook out.

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #729 on: October 10, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »
Ran two slow 9 minute miles yesterday. Doing nothing today. Hitting the Rutgers vs Michigan game tonight. My nephew invited me and the wife to the game and his amazing pre game cook out.

man I'd kill to do 9 minute miles--Im at 12 right now  :-\

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #730 on: October 10, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
some pump leg work 'light weights'15 reps sets

extensions x5
lunges up steps x3
lying sled press x3

ham curls standing x\3
seated leg curls x3

calf raises seated x5

treadmill

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #731 on: October 11, 2015, 01:50:41 AM »
some pump leg work 'light weights'15 reps sets

extensions x5
lunges up steps x3
lying sled press x3

ham curls standing x\3
seated leg curls x3

calf raises seated x5

treadmill
how was the Higher reps?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #732 on: October 11, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
how was the Higher reps?
fine i did reps slower,,little rest between sets,,its a joke workout compared to what i'm used to doing,,but i'm listening to dr through this...treadmill was the highlite lol...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #733 on: October 11, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
off topic...had a nice italian sun dinner

olives/fresh mozzarella.warm bread/olive oil of course/some pepper

ravioli,made with asparagus/spinach ,ricotta/asiago/homeade wifes sauce..

nice glass'italian' valpolicella red wine

salad as well always salad..

table looked beautiful...of course clumsy daughter spilled my wine half empty into my wifes lap...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #734 on: October 11, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »

table looked beautiful...of course clumsy daughter spilled my wine half empty into my wifes lap...

You are making me drool. I went to my friends' house for dinner tonight. The fare was Vietnamese. Most of it was unfamiliar looking and tasting. She worked hard to fix a nice meal. The company and conversation was excellent. The dinner was okay. Yours seems better.

I promised my daughter that I would fix chicken cacciatore or hunter-style chicken, modified to work with boneless and skinless chicken breasts (the only way she will eat chicken). It's going to be a challenge.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #735 on: October 12, 2015, 01:48:16 AM »
fine i did reps slower,,little rest between sets,,its a joke workout compared to what i'm used to doing,,but i'm listening to dr through this...treadmill was the highlite lol...
well i started doing some light Deadlifts yesterday and worked well. Going for 10-12 reps in most exercises. Close grip benches with an ez bar. I had to make a long phone call yesterday evening so i did it while going for a walk of 1 hour 30. time went passed fast. Prefer getting outside as often as possible.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #736 on: October 12, 2015, 04:56:26 AM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #737 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
A good read steve..
http://www.cbass.com/Carpinelli.htm
THANKS I WILL  TONIGHT...I KNOW THERES MANY FACTORS TO GET THE JOB DONE...I'M OK WITH IT BELIEVE ME..JUST LIKE TO TRAIN...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #738 on: October 12, 2015, 07:24:31 AM »
THANKS I WILL  TONIGHT...I KNOW THERES MANY FACTORS TO GET THE JOB DONE...I'M OK WITH IT BELIEVE ME..JUST LIKE TO TRAIN...
Just a good read.. one mans meat is another mans poison. i am just working with what i can going to a great burn. Actually really feeling my quads ,Buns on the Deads yesterday. Using much less than normal. All good. 10-12 good slow reps.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #739 on: October 12, 2015, 08:16:33 AM »
Just a good read.. one mans meat is another mans poison. i am just working with what i can going to a great burn. Actually really feeling my quads ,Buns on the Deads yesterday. Using much less than normal. All good. 10-12 good slow reps.

The Ralph N. Carpinelli, PhD article Bass uses to explain the principles of exercising slow and fast twitch muscle fibers is interesting. The easy conclusion is that weight training exercise should be done in moderation, when considering both resistance and the number of repetitions. The key seems to be controlled movements. Slow with good form is best for most folks.

Some people like the feeling of accomplishment they get from lifting heavy. That's best left to the power lifters. Applying the principles of exercising for health, conditioning and some size are my preference, especially since I came to the conclusion that my genetics greatly affect the end result. I wasn't nor could I ever be a mass monster. More and more I see really muscular, but fit folks using lighter resistance and more controlled reps. There are also a number of people who apply both this principle and that of using greater resistance with lower reps as in doing warm-up sets prior to work sets for the same movement, while keeping the number of sets and reps to a reasonable count. How effective this is, I believe varies from one muscle group to another.

One of my goals is to come away from the gym after a good workout feeling refreshed and not depleted. It is what keeps me coming back. It must work, since I've been at it most of my very long adult life.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #740 on: October 12, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
The Ralph N. Carpinelli, PhD article Bass uses to explain the principles of exercising slow and fast twitch muscle fibers is interesting. The easy conclusion is that weight training exercise should be done in moderation, when considering both resistance and the number of repetitions. The key seems to be controlled movements. Slow with good form is best for most folks.

Some people like the feeling of accomplishment they get from lifting heavy. That's best left to the power lifters. Applying the principles of exercising for health, conditioning and some size are my preference, especially since I came to the conclusion that my genetics greatly affect the end result. I wasn't nor could I ever be a mass monster. More and more I see really muscular, but fit folks using lighter resistance and more controlled reps. There are also a number of people who apply both this principle and that of using greater resistance with lower reps as in doing warm-up sets prior to work sets for the same movement, while keeping the number of sets and reps to a reasonable count. How effective this is, I believe varies from one muscle group to another.

One of my goals is to come away from the gym after a good workout feeling refreshed and not depleted. It is what keeps me coming back. It must work, since I've been at it most of my very long adult life.

Great post Jay...  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #741 on: October 12, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »

My wife is Italian too. We have the same taste in wine. Dry red italian valpolicella please.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #742 on: October 12, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Trained chest and arms today:

Observation: Just watched a video of Jay Cutler training recently.  He used 40lbs for alternate dumbbell curls and 85lbs for skull crushers. He also used the cheat weight assist machine for dips.  I am not comparing myself to one of the best bodybuilders ever. No, at around 185 at 5'8" I'm sure he can out lift me. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm killing myself with what is heavy weights for me when it might not be necessary. I use 40 to 45lbs for alternate dumbbell curls, 85 to 100 for skull crushers and I add 25lbs when I dip most of the time. What do I have for that?  A good non drug physique but my shoulders are shot. I also have other joint issues at 56.  

I have heard Chris Dickerson at his peak never went above 225lbs in squats and rarely above 115 in the press behind the neck.  Padilla used 25lb for concentration curls. Arnold despite on occasion using heavy weights in presses normally used 225lbs for benching for fast paced training. Steve Davis using 115 for lat rows.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can train hard with less than heavy weights.  Training fast will make a moderate weight heavy.  It's like the story I heard about Dickerson. One guy was saying the weight Dickerson used was a joke until he trained with him and couldn't keep up. The first couple of sets were easy but when he got to the 6th set that light weight felt like 1000 lbs.

Am I against heavy weights? No!  Just saying we have been brain washed into thinking the stars are using inhuman crazy weights. Maybe Yates and Coleman but most of the rest are very human.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #743 on: October 12, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
My wife is Italian too. We have the same taste in wine. Dry red italian valpolicella please.
JUST RECENTLY I GOT INTO the 'ripasso'version 20.00 or so dollars yields a great wine...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #744 on: October 12, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »

Observation: Just watched a video of Jay Cutler training recently.  He used 40lbs for alternate dumbbell curls and 85lbs for skull crushers. He also used the cheat weight assist machine for dips.  I am not comparing myself to one of the best bodybuilders ever. No, at around 185 at 5'8" I'm sure he can out lift me. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm killing myself with what is heavy weights for me when it might not be necessary. I use 40 to 45lbs for alternate dumbbell curls, 85 to 100 for skull crushers and I add 25lbs when I dip most of the time. What do I have for that?  A good non drug physique but my shoulders are shot. I also have other joint issues at 56.  

I have heard Chris Dickerson at his peak never went above 225lbs in squats and rarely above 115 in the press behind the neck.  Padilla used 25lb for concentration curls. Arnold despite on occasion using heavy weights in presses normally used 225lbs for benching for fast paced training. Steve Davis using 115 for lat rows.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can train hard with less than heavy weights.  Training fast will make a moderate weight heavy.  It's like the story I heard about Dickerson. One guy was saying the weight Dickerson used was a joke until he trained with him and couldn't keep up. The first couple of sets were easy but when he got to the 6th set that light weight felt like 1000 lbs.

Am I against heavy weights? No!  Just saying we have been brain washed into thinking the stars are using inhuman crazy weights. Maybe Yates and Coleman but most of the rest are very human.

Weighted dips can really wreck one's shoulders. The movement feels so much better and productive when doing them weight assisted.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #745 on: October 12, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »

Rich you are a Hardcore HIT guy.. and thatīs your style. I like reading your posts. I have always trained moderate and never really super heavy. I did like going Heavier with 5x5 which was great but for me not long term. I got pains that were a signal itīs not for me. Clarence Bass does write some great information for the older trainer.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #746 on: October 12, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »

rich we are all in the same boat,we try to overthink something so basic ,human mechanics and the ability to perform something whether its light or heavy,,,lighter is perceived sign of weakness ,heavier is sign of strength.its good to do both and  how you achieve it whether light or heavy is most important.traing hard doesn't always need to be heavy,,as much as I love heavy weight training for legs,i might need to scale back or at least less heavy sets for a while ,I have all the leg size I want .I enjoy all forms of training ..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #747 on: October 12, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
Superset leg extensions with free hand squats...pre exhaust .. try to do 100 reps.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Superset leg extensions with free hand squats...pre exhaust .. try to do 100 reps.

I've achieved a good pump from bodyweight squats when done with a lot of reps. Growing noticeable muscle is another story. I've not experienced this.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #749 on: October 12, 2015, 10:01:33 AM »
I've achieved a good pump from bodyweight squats when done with a lot of reps. Growing noticeable muscle is another story. I've not experienced this.
The Pre Exhaust did it for me. Do 15 reps or so to failure then no rest do maximum free hand squats.