Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409293 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1000 on: November 28, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
Delt and Arms today:

Standing dumbbell press 2 x 10 50lbs (all the way down.  I could handle much heavier dumbbells if I stopped with my upper arms parallel that is so in vogue.
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs
One arm pulley laterals 1 x 10
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 240lbs. (Since it's such short stroke movement I try to do it strict.

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs. (really deep)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Skull crushers 2 x 8 95lbs.

wrist curls 2 x 25 90lbs
reverse wrist extensions 2 x 15

Ab giant set:
Hanging leg raises 20 reps
Incline situps 25 reps
ab wheel 20 reps (tried to go all the way out)
weighted crunches with feet on the a bench 40 reps
pulley crunches 1 x 30
seated knee ins 20 reps

Ivanko gripper 2 x 25

Drove to work where they had a 10 piece motown cover band playing. A lot of fun. Wife is sick so I had no one to dance with.  :-[ Lol.  My boss was surprised I came to work just to see the band.  Nice brass section and the three singers were top shelf.

Working on my 4th beer. Damn, I will never have abs. Strict diet and no beer with abs or chips, beer and a slice of pie? My diet stinks and I always try to out work it that is very hard to do.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1001 on: November 29, 2015, 12:18:08 AM »
Yahoo! Tomorrow I drive my sister home. Just in time before she drives me crazy. No gym today. life got in the way. Tomorrow I should be back to a more normal routine.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1002 on: November 29, 2015, 12:58:03 PM »
Cardio day today. Hopefully I'm turning a corner concerning running injuries with nerve damage and my Achilles tendon. Actually felt little pain running  and hopefully nothing will swell up tonight or tomorrow.

Ran gently on the treadmill. Ran a 11:30 mile, 10:55 mile and a 9:50 mile with little pain. Finished with a quarter mile at 8:00 minute pace and every thing orthopedic and nerve wise held up. Very happy.

My cell phone rang when I was running and I didn't answer it. It was a job offer from a former colleague. I retired 4 years ago and I have been working a very low level part time job for a little something to do instead of training and hanging around the house. He said it's not a guaranteed offer but if it comes to fruition in the coming months it should be what I consider major money. I would have to work in Manhattan. An almost a two hour commute.  Nervous just to think about it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1003 on: November 29, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
fantastic leg day,,,full bore,no issues,energy and pump dead on..

squat warmed up 135x20 x2...225x12/315x12/365x10/405 x6 months since i went here,,,

lying sled press 200/220/260 sets 10

extensions x4 195/240

hams
lying leg curls x4
standing leg curl single leg

calves
leg press x5.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1004 on: November 30, 2015, 01:08:02 AM »
Did a bodyweight circuit workout yesterday just a few exercises..
push ups
Inverted rows
Free hand squats
Full bent knee sit ups(feet not supported)

then went for a run in the rain to cool me down. was quite stormy last Night.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1005 on: November 30, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
Trained legs:

It's always tough for me to train legs the day after running. The legs feel shot. I toughed it out.  The weights used were okay but down for squats. Workout took 90 minutes. Now off to work.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1006 on: November 30, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
Trained legs:

It's always tough for me to train legs the day after running. The legs feel shot. I toughed it out.  The weights used were okay but down for squats. Workout took 90 minutes. Now off to work.
8)...I LOvE LEGS AS U CAN SEE,,MINDSET IS IMPORTANT,,

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1007 on: November 30, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
Cardio day today. Hopefully I'm turning a corner concerning running injuries with nerve damage and my Achilles tendon. Actually felt little pain running  and hopefully nothing will swell up tonight or tomorrow.

Ran gently on the treadmill. Ran a 11:30 mile, 10:55 mile and a 9:50 mile with little pain. Finished with a quarter mile at 8:00 minute pace and every thing orthopedic and nerve wise held up. Very happy.

My cell phone rang when I was running and I didn't answer it. It was a job offer from a former colleague. I retired 4 years ago and I have been working a very low level part time job for a little something to do instead of training and hanging around the house. He said it's not a guaranteed offer but if it comes to fruition in the coming months it should be what I consider major money. I would have to work in Manhattan. An almost a two hour commute.  Nervous just to think about it.

A two hour commute adds a lot to the workday. I am assuming it is 2 hrs. each way. Even at half time, this ends up being 6 hrs. On the other hand you are pretty young to be retired so going back to work may be positive. I know I couldn't afford to retire and maintain my lifestyle until SSI and Medicare kicked in. In other words not before age 65. Being as how she was disabled, my wife was already on Medicare. When you have to buy medical insurance on your own (no group plans like those offered by many employers) it darn near takes a second income to pay for it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1008 on: November 30, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
Trained legs:

It's always tough for me to train legs the day after running. The legs feel shot. I toughed it out.  The weights used were okay but down for squats. Workout took 90 minutes. Now off to work.

Although I did not make it to the gym yesterday, I did manage to get in some bodyweight ab and leg work.

Good mornings, 4X15
side bends for oblique's, 4X25 each side.
Squats, 4X25

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1009 on: December 01, 2015, 05:55:23 AM »
A two hour commute adds a lot to the workday. I am assuming it is 2 hrs. each way. Even at half time, this ends up being 6 hrs. On the other hand you are pretty young to be retired so going back to work may be positive. I know I couldn't afford to retire and maintain my lifestyle until SSI and Medicare kicked in. In other words not before age 65. Being as how she was disabled, my wife was already on Medicare. When you have to buy medical insurance on your own (no group plans like those offered by many employers) it darn near takes a second income to pay for it.

My $15K medical insurance plan is paid for as part of the contractual agreement with the employer I retired from. My retirement pension is down $1000 a month from what I use to take home and I have a little part time job that fills that gap. The tentative job offer that was offered to me is more money than I ever made in my life but I also have to consider what kind of life would I have with 4 to 5 hours of commuting a day.  Yes, it's minimum 2 hours each way on the new proposed job. My former employer has a 55 mandatory retirement age that is based on physicality that is part of the job requirements.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1010 on: December 01, 2015, 05:57:19 AM »
8)...I LOvE LEGS AS U CAN SEE,,MINDSET IS IMPORTANT,,

Again it's hard training legs after a hard cardio day. Go out for a hard 3 to 5 mile run and tell me if it had an effect on your leg training the day after. If it didn't you didn't run fast enough.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1011 on: December 01, 2015, 06:05:28 AM »
Again it's hard training legs after a hard cardio day. Go out for a hard 3 to 5 mile run and tell me if it had an effect on your leg training the day after. If it didn't you didn't run fast enough.
I agree .. other way round sometimes. I have trained legs and the next Day ran and it was hard.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1012 on: December 01, 2015, 06:42:06 AM »
That's true too but I feel more weakness after hard cardio. Sitting here putting off today's cardio. Just so stiff in the morning. I guess like the Nike ads say. I should just do it.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1013 on: December 01, 2015, 06:47:20 AM »
That's true too but I feel more weakness after hard cardio.
yes i understand you. I believe V Gironda once said running depletes Hormones and wastes your strength. I do not believe this myself. Infact stamina is just what some weight trainers lack.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1014 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
CHEST/TRI/ABS

GETTING THERE EACH WEEK A BIT STRONGER AND MORE ROM ON PRESSING MOVEMENTS

SEATED PRESS'STACK'VERSION SUPERSETTED WITH CABLE CROSSOVERS X4 GOT UP TO A 100 LBS WAS DOING 35 LOL 1ST WORKOUT AFTER INJURY..

pushups X4 ELEVATED SO UPPER BODY ON ANGLE FEET ON FLOOR ON CABLE ROW MACHINE PAD ROM BETTER ON THESE TOO..

INC PRESS X4 GOT UP TO  115 LBS  LOL,,,USAUALLY 185/215 OK FELT BETTER .ROM IS NOT DEEP AT ALL THO ON THESE

CABLE PRESS,THESE I DO LIGHT AND USED TO LIKE THESE LIKE A CROSSOVER BUT YOU PUSH HANDLES STRAIGHT OUT LIKE YOUR THROWING A PUNCH BUT ARMS STRAIGHT OR SLIGHT BEND AT ELBOW..

TRIS FULL STEAM NO ISSUES

LYING SKULL CRUSH,,PREMADE CURL BAR 60/70/70
ROPE EXTENSIONS/PUSHDOWNS X4
SEATED EXTENSION ELBOWS ON PAD X4

ABS

TREADMILL

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1015 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
NJFLEx, keep chopping away. I know what it feels like to use light weight because of injury. Last time I benched I was using 165lbs for my sets and my shoulder felt like I was tearing it apart so I made the decision to scrap the exercise.  Whether you're on the beach, punching someone in the face, or wrestling someone the last thing that comes into play is how much you bench. 

Use hammer strength for awhile. The guided path in benching in their incline, flat and shoulder press machine is guided so it should be much easier on the joints. After awhile use dumbbells for strict movements in pressing. Dumbbells are so much easier on my joints letting my hands position them self properly for joint preservation.

Today was cardio:

Still trying to keep the speed down running and so far the injuries are holding up. Ran three miles after warm up and cool down. Ran a 10:55 mile-10:55 mile- and a 9:15 mile with the last quarter mile a little under 8 minute pace. Then I hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds. Running feels so good again. I said it before but after running I feel calm, happy and relaxed. After lifting I just feel exhausted.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1016 on: December 01, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
NJFLEx, keep chopping away. I know what it feels like to use light weight because of injury. Last time I benched I was using 165lbs for my sets and my shoulder felt like I was tearing it apart so I made the decision to scrap the exercise.  Whether you're on the beach, punching someone in the face, or wrestling someone the last thing that comes into play is how much you bench. 

Use hammer strength for awhile. The guided path in benching in their incline, flat and shoulder press machine is guided so it should be much easier on the joints. After awhile use dumbbells for strict movements in pressing. Dumbbells are so much easier on my joints letting my hands position them self properly for joint preservation.

Today was cardio:

Still trying to keep the speed down running and so far the injuries are holding up. Ran three miles after warm up and cool down. Ran a 10:55 mile-10:55 mile- and a 9:15 mile with the last quarter mile a little under 8 minute pace. Then I hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds. Running feels so good again. I said it before but after running I feel calm, happy and relaxed. After lifting I just feel exhausted.
yes good post agree with you again Rich. Talking of punching, i think from my experience the Neider press is much better for a Boxer/martial arts trainer.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1017 on: December 01, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
Whether you're on the beach, punching someone in the face, or wrestling someone the last thing that comes into play is how much you bench. 

If the reverse is true, I should be benching a lot. Never punched anyone in the face at the beach or elsewhere, nor have I wrestled someone. Are folks that hostile where you live?

Yesterday, I worked back:

Seated front cable pull downs, 4 X 12 - 6
Flat bench pulls, 4 X 10 - 6
Seated low cable rows 3 X 8 - 6
Seated reverse grip pull downs 2 X 6
Bent over dumbbell rows, 3 X 8 - 6
Nautilus low back, 2 X 12
Nautilus torso twists, 2 X 12 each side
Tanning bed, 1 X ...oh wait that's not an exercise!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm hitting the gym this morning around 9:30 a.m. because I have to take my car in for an oil change and a checkup. Working out in the morning should be different.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1018 on: December 01, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »
Update

Surprisingly the morning workout was great. The gym was comparatively empty. Didn't have to wait or change up any exercises. I may have to start going in the morning on a regular basis.

Worked shoulders traps and abs

Front overhead press, 4 X 10 - 6
Seated side laterals, 3 X 10 - 8
Bent lateral raises, 3 X 10 - 8
Nautilus machine that works traps, 3 X 10 - 8
Shrugs, 3 X 10
Cable crunches, 3 X 12
Back raises, 2 X 15

I was done in about 35 minutes. -Hardly needed any rest time between sets.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1019 on: December 01, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
If the reverse is true, I should be benching a lot. Never punched anyone in the face at the beach or elsewhere, nor have I wrestled someone. Are folks that hostile where you live?

Yesterday, I worked back:

Seated front cable pull downs, 4 X 12 - 6
Flat bench pulls, 4 X 10 - 6
Seated low cable rows 3 X 8 - 6
Seated reverse grip pull downs 2 X 6
Bent over dumbbell rows, 3 X 8 - 6
Nautilus low back, 2 X 12
Nautilus torso twists, 2 X 12 each side
Tanning bed, 1 X ...oh wait that's not an exercise!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm hitting the gym this morning around 9:30 a.m. because I have to take my car in for an oil change and a checkup. Working out in the morning should be different.

NJ Flex and I live in NJ. Yes, it's that hostile.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1020 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »
NJ Flex and I live in NJ. Yes, it's that hostile.  ;D

I was born in Newark, New Jersey. It's good that I got out, huh? My mom lived in the guest house on my grandparents property in South Orange and hung out at Asbury Park. My dad was deployed to Germany. This was 1944. These places have likely changed over the last 71 years.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1021 on: December 01, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »
NJ Flex and I live in NJ. Yes, it's that hostile.  ;D
;D...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1022 on: December 02, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »
I was born in Newark, New Jersey. It's good that I got out, huh? My mom lived in the guest house on my grandparents property in South Orange and hung out at Asbury Park. My dad was deployed to Germany. This was 1944. These places have likely changed over the last 71 years.

Newark is the wild wild west of NJ. If your car breaks down anywhere near Martin Luther King blvd at night; just run for your life. South Orange still has some very affluent areas unlike the dump East Orange is. It's near Seton Hall University. Travel outside it borders and you take your life in your hands. Asbury Park was a dump until the gays started buying up cheap houses near the ocean. Now those houses are really up in value.  Now it's filled with trendy bars, clubs and restaurants. It still has gang turf wars mainly coming from the west.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1023 on: December 02, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
Newark is the wild wild west of NJ. If your car breaks down anywhere near Martin Luther King blvd at night; just run for your life. South Orange still has some very affluent areas unlike the dump East Orange is. It's near Seton Hall University. Travel outside it borders and you take your life in your hands. Asbury Park was a dump until the gays started buying up cheap houses near the ocean. Now those houses are really up in value.  Now it's filled with trendy bars, clubs and restaurants. It still has gang turf wars mainly coming from the west.
ORANGES YES ARE MIXEDDUMPS AND MILLIONAIRES,,I DID  WORK IN THE 90'S AT A LAWYERS HOUSE  IN SO ORANGE  HE WAS A MILLIONAIRE HUGE NEWARK FIRM MY COUSIN WORKED THERE FOR 10 YRS,THOMAS ALVA EDISONS HOUSE WAS FEW BLOCKS IN SAME GATED COMMUNITY...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1024 on: December 02, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
ORANGES YES ARE MIXEDDUMPS AND MILLIONAIRES,,I DID  WORK IN THE 90'S AT A LAWYERS HOUSE  IN SO ORANGE  HE WAS A MILLIONAIRE HUGE NEWARK FIRM MY COUSIN WORKED THERE FOR 10 YRS,THOMAS ALVA EDISONS HOUSE WAS FEW BLOCKS IN SAME GATED COMMUNITY...

My grandparent's house was a big old Victorian at 433 Vose Ave. South Orange, New Jersey. It is still standing and it appears the gardeners cottage is there too, but the porches are not. There was a side porch that you drove though to get to the barn. By no means was it the biggest house in the neighborhood. My grandfather was an attorney.