Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 47000 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
MLB Playoffs
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »
Yankees are sitting pretty with 2 months to go

6 games up on Baltimore
8 up on Toronto in the loss column (with only 60 games left)

macgarth

• Getbig II
Re: Yankees sitting pretty in the A.L. East with 2 months left
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
The blow jays adding Price and Tulo makes me a little nervous.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
You know they're not sitting pretty.   ;D

Price addition is awesome for Toronto, but I don't get trading Hoffman to get Tulo, as I didn't see replacing Reyes as an immediate need.

I still think they need another arm, but these were great moves.

Also glad to see the Yankees holding on to the farm, but the Pineda injury is worrysome right now.
Y

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »
Very happy the Yankees didn't blow the farm for a rental. They are questionable to make the playoffs and if they do, unlikely to go deep (no homo). I'm a bit reluctant to say the Tulo move is fantastic for the jays. He's been somewhat injury prone, will now be playing on artificial turf, and the jays are on the hook for 5 years and 96 mill. Reyes had 4 for 48 remaining, for a mid market team that's a big difference going forward. With the Tulo contract, Bautista and Encarnacion to be resigned in the next year or two, the Jays may just price themselves out of signing an ace long term.

Obviously they are all in this year, but right now that window seems very small. High scoring teams do win a lot of games in the regular season, but come playoff time, rarely do those teams go deep or win it all. Price will help a lot in the playoffs this year if they make as he would likely throw games 1,4 and then 1,4,7 if required but I just can't see the jays being able to afford him or any other ace long term.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
Very happy the Yankees didn't blow the farm for a rental. They are questionable to make the playoffs and if they do, unlikely to go deep (no homo).

The Yankees currently sit with a 93.1% chance of making the playoffs, second in probability only to the Royals.  That's not really questionable.

I don't get the current thinking that they couldn't go far in the playoffs.  They're built well for the postseason if Tanaka/Pineda are healthy, since they have one of the top 2 bullpens in the league, and one of the most potent offenses.  If they add Kimbrel, even moreso.

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx?type=2&lg=div&date=current
Y

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »
The Yankees currently sit with a 93.1% chance of making the playoffs, second in probability only to the Royals.  That's not really questionable.

I don't get the current thinking that they couldn't go far in the playoffs.  They're built well for the postseason if Tanaka/Pineda are healthy, since they have one of the top 2 bullpens in the league, and one of the most potent offenses.  If they add Kimbrel, even moreso.

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx?type=2&lg=div&date=current

I am a Yankees fan it and I'd be thrilled to see them make a run. However, with two best pitchers on their team being ifs and they struggle or are hurt there will be big problems as Sabathia is unreliable at this point in his career. I love the bullpen and if they can take a lead into the 7th I'd feel great about it. ARod, Tex and McCann are producing right now but ARod and Tex have a tendency to disappear in October. Right now I can't help but think they are over achieving, if they are still there in September I'll feel much more confident but until then I'm skeptical.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »
I am a Yankees fan it and I'd be thrilled to see them make a run. However, with two best pitchers on their team being ifs and they struggle or are hurt there will be big problems as Sabathia is unreliable at this point in his career. I love the bullpen and if they can take a lead into the 7th I'd feel great about it. ARod, Tex and McCann are producing right now but ARod and Tex have a tendency to disappear in October. Right now I can't help but think they are over achieving, if they are still there in September I'll feel much more confident but until then I'm skeptical.

I get that, especially the over achieving part, but at this point in the season at over 100 games in, I think it's evident they're just having really good years.  SP is suspect, but if Tanaka / Pineda are healthy, that's a great 1-2.  Sabbathia sucks, I agree.

As far a disappearing in October, I've never bought that past playoff performance means much of anything in terms of predicting the future.  In fact, ARod had one of the best post seasons in MLB history in 2009.  Either way, it's too small a sample size to put much emphasis on it.
Y

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
I get that, especially the over achieving part, but at this point in the season at over 100 games in, I think it's evident they're just having really good years.  SP is suspect, but if Tanaka / Pineda are healthy, that's a great 1-2.  Sabbathia sucks, I agree.

As far a disappearing in October, I've never bought that past playoff performance means much of anything in terms of predicting the future.  In fact, ARod had one of the best post seasons in MLB history in 2009.  Either way, it's too small a sample size to put much emphasis on it.

Maybe it doesn't carry over and have that much of an impact but ARod has had more bad then good. In all likelihood pitching matchups and line up protection are probably bigger factors but you look at a guy like Carlos Beltran who goes red hot every post season he's been in. If the Yankees make it, I'm sure I'll eat those words and ARod will absolutely go off and Beltran won't be able to hit a beach ball. I'm willing to do that if its required for a post season run  ;D

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
I don't get trading Hoffman to get Tulo, as I didn't see replacing Reyes as an immediate need.

Not easy trading Hoffman (but he hasn't really impressed in the low minors.)
Could be a future stud or just an ok major league pitcher? (pitching in Colorado will surely cost him some $)

It's a miracle that the Jays were able to find a team that would take Reyes and his contract!
Everybody figured he was untradeable and that the Jays were stuck with him for the next 2 years at 22M per.

Reyes was loved by his teammates, but he's brutal defensively ... his defensive numbers don't even tell the story about how much he hurt the team playing shortstop ... the Jays would've been better off simply playing the light-hitting slick-fielding Ryan Goins at short than having a rapidly diminishing Jose Reyes out there ... actually the only reason the Jays ran him out there as a liability at short was because they were hoping that they could trade him and they wanted Reyes' offensive numbers to look better on paper as an everyday "shortstop"... Reyes isn't even a good leadoff hitter for this Jays team because his OBP ain't great and his running game isn't maximized with all the boppers behind him in the lineup ... no small ball in Toronto haha.

whatever number of games Tulo can give the Jays each year going forward is a big upgrade over Reyes
(and I like Reyes and wish him well)

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
I'm a bit reluctant to say the Tulo move is fantastic for the jays. He's been somewhat injury prone, will now be playing on artificial turf, and the jays are on the hook for 5 years and 96 mill. Reyes had 4 for 48 remaining, for a mid market team that's a big difference going forward. With the Tulo contract, Bautista and Encarnacion to be resigned in the next year or two, the Jays may just price themselves out of signing an ace long term.

Reyes is injury prone too (has chronic hamstring issues) ...

Reyes was my wife's second favourite Blue Jay (she adores his personality) and I dug his energy and enthusiasm too, but if you were a Jays fan watching Reyes play everyday shortstop for this team the last couple of years, you'd be doing cartwheels after hearing that Alex Anthopolous was able to deal Reyes even if nothing much was coming back.

Hopefully Bautista can retire as a Blue Jay and continue to be part of a core of Donaldson/Martin/Tulo & Travis (serious ROY candidate if not injured) plus good young arms in the rotation next year (Stroman, Osuna, Sanchez)

Encarnacion isn't necessarily a part of the long term furniture here.  He loves Toronto and would probably give the Jays a hometown discount, but he's basically a DH whose bat is probably regressing, and so I wouldn't be surprised if he is dealt before free agency (tho Edwin is a 10-5 guy who can veto a trade.)

... oh also Toronto easily can be a big market team (they've got an entire country) if ownership chooses to be (they've got the resources, but it's been club policy not to give FAs more than 5 year contracts, but that might change with a new president coming in this winter)

EDIT: where do you get that Reyes has "4 for 48 remaining" on his contract?  Reyes has 2 years left at 22M per and then in 2018 its a club option for 22M or 4M buyout ... so it's really 2 for 48 remaining!  that's why it's a miracle another team would take him.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:01 AM »
Not easy trading Hoffman (but he hasn't really impressed in the low minors.)
Could be a future stud or just an ok major league pitcher? (pitching in Colorado will surely cost him some $)

It's a miracle that the Jays were able to find a team that would take Reyes and his contract!
Everybody figured he was untradeable and that the Jays were stuck with him for the next 2 years at 22M per.

Reyes was loved by his teammates, but he's brutal defensively ... his defensive numbers don't even tell the story about how much he hurt the team playing shortstop ... the Jays would've been better off simply playing the light-hitting slick-fielding Ryan Goins at short than having a rapidly diminishing Jose Reyes out there ... actually the only reason the Jays ran him out there as a liability at short was because they were hoping that they could trade him and they wanted Reyes' offensive numbers to look better on paper as an everyday "shortstop"... Reyes isn't even a good leadoff hitter for this Jays team because his OBP ain't great and his running game isn't maximized with all the boppers behind him in the lineup ... no small ball in Toronto haha.

whatever number of games Tulo can give the Jays each year going forward is a big upgrade over Reyes
(and I like Reyes and wish him well)

Made some big splashes, even outside of the big names.  Perfect timing with the Yankees' SP in flux.   Yanks are putting a lot of faith in Severino to hold the fort down with Pineda out.

Beastly offense in Toronto, for sure.  Think they're an arm short still, but who knows?
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »
Headed to Yankee Stadium Sunday to see them play the Blue Jays.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
Price made a beastly debut as a Blue Jay!!

8IP
3H
1ER

macgarth

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 04:32:04 AM »

8IP
3H
1ER

I watched most of that game and Price threw really well. The home late ump had a very tight strike zone and neither pitcher received border line calls their way. Price also worked out of a no out bases loaded jam late in the game with a pop up and 2 Ks.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
I watched most of that game and Price threw really well. The home late ump had a very tight strike zone and neither pitcher received border line calls their way. Price also worked out of a no out bases loaded jam late in the game with a pop up and 2 Ks.

that was impressive

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
Yanks are calling up there next big hope at pitcher, Luis Severino to start against the Red Sox tomorrow night.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »
Yanks are calling up there next big hope at pitcher, Luis Severino to start against the Red Sox tomorrow night.

Had him stashed in my keeper league....I called him up too, lol.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »
like all teams yankees have some holes.... starting pitching is suspect, mets starters are a much better group.... yanks got to sit down cc sabitha his time is done...for starters.
F

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »

8IP
3H
1ER

I was there.  First row behind the plate.  Best atmosphere in the stadium for a baseball game in Toronto in 22 years. Price himself even said afterwards that for him personally it was the best atmosphere of all the games he's pitched in his career ... and he's pitched in some big games (even away from the Trop.)

Yankees & Blue Jays still play each other 13 times ...
Should be fun.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
I was there.  First row behind the plate.  Best atmosphere in the stadium for a baseball game in Toronto in 22 years. Price himself even said afterwards that for him personally it was the best atmosphere of all the games he's pitched in his career ... and he's pitched in some big games (even away from the Trop.)

Yankees & Blue Jays still play each other 13 times ...
Should be fun.

It's great timing for Toronto, in this regard.  Yankee SP is in flux.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »
90 runs in their last 10 games.  Insane.

Only 44 runs scored behind Toronto.   ;D
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »
90 runs in their last 10 games.  Insane.

Only 44 runs scored behind Toronto.   ;D

Toronto has played 3 more games than the Yankees tho ...  :)

This Jays offence is their best ever.  Better than the '93 WAMCO team.  And Bautista & Encarnacion are having somewhat "off" years so far ...

When their starting 2nd baseman Travis returns to the lineup then their weakest hitter will be Kevin Pillar (who is playing gold glove CF) and has 20 doubles already.

Would any other manager in baseball hit Tulo & Donaldson 1-2? (doubt it)
I give Gibbons credit for stacking the top of the order.

Jays are 6-0 since Tulo has replaced Reyes as the starting shortstop and leadoff man.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
Yes, feels like NY / Toronto / KC / Houston / LA.....with only KC as the definite right now.

Yanks 7 up in loss column is helpful, but guarantees nothing at the moment.

Yanks really counting on Severino, as they didn't not include them to add arm.
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
i know this is a Yankee thread so sorry for the Blue Jays talk(not sorry)   :D

Jays on a 5 game win streak after tonight. 9 runs in both of the last 2 games with 4 hr's.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
i know this is a Yankee thread so sorry for the Blue Jays talk(not sorry)   :D

Jays on a 5 game win streak after tonight. 9 runs in both of the last 2 games with 4 hr's.

Edwin looks to be heating up ...

Jays are 8-0 with Tulo in the starting lineup.