Author Topic: SHREDDED HAS GONE TOO FAR !? A 20" ARM OR A 18 1/2" TOTALLY RIPPED ARM ?  (Read 5457 times)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
In the Ironman/Arnold classic contest section here at getbig, there is a thread from Ron with pictures of Melvin Anthony at the recent Ironman show. Melvin looks great, especially the double front biceps shot--------and the thing that struck me was the many comments about how he looks out of shape to do any damage at the Arnold, and how he always has trouble getting totally ripped, too much fat, etc.
Ya know, looking at that pic I see one hell of a physique, with veins popping out around the lats, good size and shape to his arms, tiny waist, outstanding v-taper,
I mean, if you really take a good look at that picture, it is one of the more impressive pics I have ever seen based on what a bodybuilder is supposed to look like (size with freaky shape).
I think too much is being make of being shredded------This sport is still about building large muscles, right ?
Isnt this website called "Getbig"   ------not get small !!!
I have seen tons of pictures (we all have) of 150 and 160 and 170 lb. bodybuilders who are ripped to the bone, but who wants to see swimmers builds ?
This shredded thing is unhealthy for the athletes, and I'm sure not a lot of fun for the athletes to get their bodys to that condition, plus it seems we have this glute fettish going on nowadays in reguards to how shredded someone is (dont even get me started on that one),
Melvin looks great in those pics---it sure looks to me like hes at low bodyfat----could you imagine us showing that picture to the average Joe and telling him that Melvin looks fat ?
It would be nice to see a bodybuilding contest judged on muscle size and outstanding shape and balance, with the shredded factor being low on the list.
Take a good look at those pics of Melvin, is your 1st thought that he has too much bodyfat?
Yes, being huge and totally ripped is an awesome sight, but I rarely see that happen----usually too much size is sacrificed .
How many times have we seen pictures of contestants 2 or 3 weeks out and they lookthe best they have ever been ?  They may not be ripped to the bone at that point, but they still have low bodyfat , and lots of size-----thats when they look the best, in my opinion.
Those pictures of Dorian Yates from the early 90's (when hes in his socks) taken weeks before the Mr. Olympia------------those pictures are the best I have ever seen Dorian look--------He looks better in those pics than at any time when he was on stage being handed the Sandow trophy.
Just me 2 cents mate  :(

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
I say 18 1/2" ripped arm is more awesomer than a 20" off season looking arm. What say you?
"Shut the F up and train"

hillbilly

• Getbig III
  • LOOK! the crazy cat is back and packing a gat!
I say 18 1/2" ripped arm is more awesomer than a 20" off season looking arm. What say you?

could be the same arm!

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
Depends how off season you mean...
The Melvin Anthony pic for instance, does he really look off season to you ?
Or what about all the pics we see from pros 3 to 6 weeks out, they always seem to look their best when they have maximum size while still having low bodyfat.
Yes, those pictures of Ronnie Coleman we see when he is way too heavy is not too impressive, if you mean that kind of thing.

txhulk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
i'd have to agree with peaking at 45.i mean not some fat *ss with 23 in arms but i'm more impressed with mass then i am (cuts). just my opinion

gtbro1

• Getbig V
            Lots of fat guys have big arms...I would take an in shape 16 inch arm over a fat 20 inch arm any day.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
I don't agree atall.

Not only is shredded the only functional way to gauge these guys muscles (and not water/fat) it looks freaky and cool.

21Guns

• Getbig II
  • Only the strong surive
Im with you Charlie, bodybuilders look there best about 3 wks out.  Just look at Denis James,Looks like Mr.O few weeks before contest.Jay looks so full. few weeks before.anyone who says theyd rather have a riped 16 arm over a 20 arm is not a bodybuilder,or just small not capible of getting a 20,so they say theyd rather have there small arms.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
The question is shredded vs. in good shape with more size, not out of shape.

I like a "healthier" look with more size, with more of a balance of size and cuts, rather than an anatomy chart at a smaller size.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
im more of the healthy ripped look, thats what im currently going for myself,

muscle
muscle

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
the closer to death they look the better

seanashbrook

• Getbig II
mass is only good if your cut.otherwise clowns like kvacs will start winning shows foe holding a lake under their muscles
personalfitnessconsulting

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
The problem is that these guys are mostly too big to be huge and ripped on contest day, you got to remember that is the pics weeks before a show they are working out and very pumped up and hard but at a contest you pump up and then stand around losing your pump all through pre-judging so it comes down to your muscle maturity and conditioning to maintain the look.
I

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
the closer to death they look the better
I actually think most bodybuilders' condition peaks JUST AFTER DEATH. There are some POST-MORTEM pics of Momo Benaziza and Andreas Munzer, where they just look SICK! I always felt that Momo's post-mortem condition could have won the Olympia if they could have maintained that condition and propped him up like 'Weekend at Bernie's'.

Special "Don't Count Andrew McArthy Out!" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

gtbro1

• Getbig V
Im with you Charlie, bodybuilders look there best about 3 wks out.  Just look at Denis James,Looks like Mr.O few weeks before contest.Jay looks so full. few weeks before.anyone who says theyd rather have a riped 16 arm over a 20 arm is not a bodybuilder,or just small not capible of getting a 20,so they say theyd rather have there small arms.
Read the post again.I said I would rather have an in shape/ripped 16 inch arm than a fat 20 inch arm.Not talking about an off season bodybuilder arm, I mean those fat asses that think they are something cause their arms are big even though you couldn't see the shape of their tricepts with a f**king microscope.Just a big round blob of an arm.Anyone that likes those kind of arms must be a fat ass. ::)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
Read the post again.I said I would rather have an in shape/ripped 16 inch arm than a fat 20 inch arm.Not talking about an off season bodybuilder arm, I mean those fat asses that think they are something cause their arms are big even though you couldn't see the shape of their tricepts with a f**king microscope.Just a big round blob of an arm.Anyone that likes those kind of arms must be a fat ass. ::)

Well, in this instance, the person with a ripped 16" arm would be fat at 20", but what if his arm was 17 or 17 1/2" with good conditioning still--------This post is not about fat arms, but bodyparts that have sacrificed too much size and flattened out because of too much depletion------look how much better all those pros look 3 to 6 weeks before a contest.

Peace  :)

gtbro1

• Getbig V
 :) good point...I see what you mean, but I still like the ripped look.