Author Topic: Rory and Bob  (Read 18582 times)

Simple Simon

Re: Rory and Bob
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
I think in 81 he over dieted and ended up in that class,he would have beat Dreher had he entered the heavyweight class.This is how he looked at under 90kg.
I weighed in at 90k when i competed back in 96 and I am about 4 inches shorter than him , I looked tiny compared to that.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 09:53:44 AM »
Has there ever been before or since two better proportioned and symetrical bodybuilders onstage at the same time.

This. Arguably the best ever, side by side.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »
how did these guys ever manage to make the weight and still look so huge, under 200lb at 6ft+ amazing
Always thought the same thing. Crazy how guys at 180lbs back then looked absolutely monstrous, etc.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
Rory is my favorite because he proves that taller guys with narrower build (like me 6'3'') can look awesome, and we both have the same birthday (March 18).

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »
Rory didnt have a back, looks great standing there, loses the contestin the front double bi pose

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
Why didn`t Rory compete for the 82 nationals though,he would have been the pre contest favourite.

Simple Simon

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:31 AM »
Always thought the same thing. Crazy how guys at 180lbs back then looked absolutely monstrous, etc.

176lbs

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
If bodybuilders looked like this today, I really believe it would be far more accepted.

Doubtful, it's always been a niche.

And, remember, that pic was "extreme" at the time.
Y

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »
Rory didnt have a back, looks great standing there, loses the contestin the front double bi pose

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Haha, I was going to post that exact pic.  8)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 03:52:15 PM »
The only structure flaw that Rory had is he wasn't that wide but he was thicker than shit. If he could have really dialed it in his back wouldn't have been an issue. He always told me if you have weak points....perfect them. Everyone has weak points.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »
This is what true bodybuilders should look like. Today, we have bloated messes that look terrible.

"1"

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »
Mostly anabolic back then during show prep. Everyone knew what test did if it wasn't used right. Off season was a different story.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
Rory and Bob......how about Bob AS Rory!?

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
I used to train at Block's gym in Orange County.  I seem to recall that Rory trained there for hours along with Serge Nubret and this other guy, Kenny, who was doing the Cal.  I was stupefied at first, then it became no big deal.  It always saddens me to think of all that potential not being realized on the pro stage.  What was the deal?  Coach mentions amphetamines above, something along those lines?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
This is what true bodybuilders should look like. Today, we have bloated messes that look terrible.

"1"

If they still looked like this, I just might still give a fuck.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »
Same here bud!!   :(

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »
Same here bud!!   :(

Rory looks perfect standing relaxed, long limbs and muscle bellies, Arnold-esque that way. Full, round chest/arms, like a dude that's lifted heavy for years, but still perfectly aesthetic. A much bigger Steve Reeves, maybe. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Damn that sounds gay.

Still, should've been a multiple O winner - and he LOST that contest!

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »
176lbs

That's beautiful  ( no homo)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
I used to train at Block's gym in Orange County.  I seem to recall that Rory trained there for hours along with Serge Nubret and this other guy, Kenny, who was doing the Cal.  I was stupefied at first, then it became no big deal.  It always saddens me to think of all that potential not being realized on the pro stage.  What was the deal?  Coach mentions amphetamines above, something along those lines?

We've probably ran into each other. I would train there with Rory and Scott Livingstone. Amphetamines (and harder) were common back then just as they are now. You have to remember the dieting back then was much more extreme than now so anything that would kill an appetite and get you through your workout was used. Dieting today would have been like a daily cheat day back then.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »
We've probably ran into each other. I would train there with Rory and Scott Livingstone. Amphetamines (and harder) were common back then just as they are now. ou have to remember the dieting back then was much more extreme than now so anything that would kill an appetite and get you through your workout was used. Dieting today would have been like a daily cheat day back then.

Coke too, I learned. That was Milos's energy supp, anyway.

(Eh, fuck him, the fugitive.)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »
I knew guys that would sit outside the gym before training snorting lines of coke.........they always offered,I always refused.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »
Rory looks perfect standing relaxed, long limbs and muscle bellies, Arnold-esque that way. Full, round chest/arms, like a dude that's lifted heavy for years, but still perfectly aesthetic. A much bigger Steve Reeves, maybe. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Damn that sounds gay.

Still, should've been a multiple O winner - and he LOST that contest!

It only sounds gay if you want it to!!  ;D

I agree on all counts bro.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
I wish Mr. Marino (Coach) would regale us of his training exploits with all the greats he`s trained with........it would be ax sticky in no time flat.

C`mon Joe,start the thread buddy.............the inspiration alone would be huge!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
I wish Mr. Marino (Coach) would regale us of his training exploits with all the greats he`s trained with........it would be ax sticky in no time flat.

C`mon Joe,start the thread buddy.............the inspiration alone would be huge!!

Should we start with the lines of coke? Lol