Author Topic: Great article on atheism.  (Read 34955 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Great article on atheism.
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »
And Japan bombing Pear Harbor wasn't a cowardly act? When did Samurais start using fighter planes?

+1 for shizzo.  ;D ;D
X

Uncle Joon

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
And Japan bombing Pear Harbor wasn't a cowardly act? When did Samurais start using fighter planes?

When I see your posts I imagine a fly buzzing around.
I finally wait for the little shit to settle down somewhere..
Then I creep ever so slowly towards it and then even more slower towards the little cu nt
And then......

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMM MM

There goes it's slimy red dracula sucking blood all over my nice pair of Gucci shoes.

Then I say to myself "Shit why did I kill that fucking fly for??....Didn't my mamma tell you don't dirty dem nice new pair of shoes"

Do you feel me cuz?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #227 on: September 03, 2015, 12:06:14 AM »
To tell the truth about one question and one question only. Atheism does not espouse any other ideology.

That is what I said.

As I understood it, you said that atheism has no purpose.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:45 AM »

Well it was I suppose, but the world would definitely be better off without the nuclear bomb. Pearl Harbour vs Hiroshima and Nagasaki, where would you have rather been?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:04 AM »
Man of Steel how much time in your day do you set aside for prayer and in those moments do you experience a settled peace where you no longer are thinking about anything in particular just dwelling in the felt presence of the spirit? Or when you pray are you always dwelling apon something in particular that requires activity of mind?

I typically pray in the morning and at night....length of time varies.  I also pray when I'm lead to pray...can occur at anytime actually.  I pray when asked for prayer as well.

Most often I type pray and try to focus only on that.....just me and God moments.  Other times there are specific needs for prayer so it's a combination of reverence while organizing my thoughts.  Yes, I experience the presence of the Holy Spirit in prayer, but not always.  Prayer settles me in chaotic moments as well.   Then there are other times when I need to pray, but just don't know what to pray.  Fortunately those moments are infrequent, but when they do happen I'll ask other to pray for me.  I do that for others as well.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
Well it was I suppose, but the world would definitely be better off without the nuclear bomb. Pearl Harbour vs Hiroshima and Nagasaki, where would you have rather been?

Definitely? Maybe you should think this through.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2015, 08:38:07 AM »
As I understood it, you said that atheism has no purpose.

Well, if you consider offering an alternative side to theism a purpose, then I guess it does have a purpose (in that sense).

But in terms of a specific way to live, a book to follow, a doctrine to follow, or commandments to follow, there is no inherent purpose in atheism. There is nothing that guides us toward a place to worship or a way to follow.

X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
Well, if you consider offering an alternative side to theism a purpose, then I guess it does have a purpose (in that sense).

But in terms of a specific way to live, a book to follow, a doctrine to follow, or commandments to follow, there is no inherent purpose in atheism. There is nothing that guides us toward a place to worship or a way to follow.

Here is the MOS atheism definition I've put forth a few times:

atheist: "a" - without or lack of belief
           "theist" - a person who believes in god(s)
           "atheist" - a person that is without or has a lack of belief in god(s)

The term "atheist" is almost deemed unnecessary by the atheist community as a "non-theist" feels equally as ridiculous as a "non-gardener" or "non-chef".  Since we don't refer to those things in that that way we don't need the term "atheist".  Typically we only define the affirmative position on things.

The atheist proposition is that they aren't required to prove or disprove anything as it pertains to theism.  They place the burden of proof on the theist who makes the initial and/or affirmative claim.

All atheism represents is a lack of belief in God or gods due to the rejection of all available evidence.  Further claims of insufficient evidence (in spite of their presuppositions) or a claim of a "total lack of any evidence whatsoever" (this statement often peppered with references to "flying spaghetti monsters", "storybooks written by ancient goat herders", "fairytales", "how did Noah get every species in the ark" and "the man in the clouds") is par for the course in this type of "discourse".

Some atheists go a step further claiming that all people are atheists.  Given that theists believe in their God and reject all other gods they are deemed atheists towards all other gods (this is nonsense of course, but I note it regardless).

The active portion of atheism is two-fold:  one, challenging theists on their beliefs; two, keeping religion out of non-religious institutions, groups, organizations, governments, etc....

The first part of that two-fold activity is really limited to a smaller sect of atheism (the "Dawkinsian atheists" primarily....the "mock them, ridicule them" stuff) so I'd say the second portion is the primary activity (more political in nature).

Just my opinion based on my what I've experienced.  

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
Here is the MOS atheism definition I've put forth a few times:

atheist: "a" - without or lack of belief
           "theist" - a person who believes in god(s)
           "atheist" - a person that is without or has a lack of belief in god(s)

The term "atheist" is almost deemed unnecessary by the atheist community as a "non-theist" feels equally as ridiculous as a "non-gardener" or "non-chef".  Since we don't refer to those things in that that way we don't need the term "atheist".  Typically we only define the affirmative position on things.

The atheist proposition is that they aren't required to prove or disprove anything as it pertains to theism.  They place the burden of proof on the theist who makes the initial and/or affirmative claim.

All atheism represents is a lack of belief in God or gods due to the rejection of all available evidence.  Further claims of insufficient evidence (in spite of their presuppositions) or a claim of a "total lack of any evidence whatsoever" (this statement often peppered with references to "flying spaghetti monsters", "storybooks written by ancient goat herders", "fairytales", "how did Noah get every species in the ark" and "the man in the clouds") is par for the course in this type of "discourse".

Some atheists go a step further claiming that all people are atheists.  Given that theists believe in their God and reject all other gods they are deemed atheists towards all other gods (this is nonsense of course, but I note it regardless).

The active portion of atheism is two-fold:  one, challenging theists on their beliefs; two, keeping religion out of non-religious institutions, groups, organizations, governments, etc....

The first part of that two-fold activity is really limited to a smaller sect of atheism (the "Dawkinsian atheists" primarily....the "mock them, ridicule them" stuff) so I'd say the second portion is the primary activity (more political in nature).

Just my opinion based on my what I've experienced.  

The part about sort of being an atheist because you reject all other God is true, but not true. You are an atheist regarding all other Gods, except yours. Obviously, it would not classify you as an atheist per se. I think you're taking the argument too literal. Its more of a metaphor. Obviously, you're not an atheist like I am. Anyone who proclaims otherwise is an idiot.

As for the part in bold, those are probably the only two inherent purposes in atheism, that is pretty much consistent across all atheists.

When I meant there is no "purpose" in atheism, I was referring to there is no specific doctrine, code of principles or morals, places of worship, that dictate how we should live our life. In that sense, there is much less purpose in atheism when compared to Christianity, Judaism, etc.
X

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
The part about sort of being an atheist because you reject all other God is true, but not true. You are an atheist regarding all other Gods, except yours. Obviously, it would not classify you as an atheist per se. I think you're taking the argument too literal. Its more of a metaphor. Obviously, you're not an atheist like I am. Anyone who proclaims otherwise is an idiot.

As for the part in bold, those are probably the only two inherent purposes in atheism, that is pretty much consistent across all atheists.

When I meant there is no "purpose" in atheism, I was referring to there is no specific doctrine, code of principles or morals, places of worship, that dictate how we should live our life. In that sense, there is much less purpose in atheism when compared to Christianity, Judaism, etc.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »

SF1900  destroying MOS like I predicted.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »

Yep as predicted....I'm utterly destroyed.   

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
Yep as predicted....I'm utterly destroyed.   

Che trying to troll and stir shit up!  ;D ;D
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »

::) ::) ::)
X

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
 ;D