Author Topic: Who here seriously wanted to or did train to be a pro wrestler?  (Read 5688 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Who here seriously wanted to or did train to be a pro wrestler?
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:53:53 AM »
When I was 18 I was interested, even had a flyer of a local wrestling school  The reason I got into bodybuilding was to build up my body for wrestling. I never did end up training for wrestling but stuck with the weight lifting.
Sometimes I wonder what if, not that I think I would have made it big but it would still be cool to spend some time in the indies.

I'm actually even more interested in the backstage stuff and the writing aspect. I wonder if my local would accept volunteers to help with backstage dirty work and maybe get involved with some of the creative stuff.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Who here seriously wanted to or did train to be a pro wrestler?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
Usually, people willing to do grunt work for free are welcomed with open arms.

Even though I've watched wrestling since about age 8, the thought of being a wrestler never occurred to me. At the time, there was no internet. So, the business was still a mystery. I didn't even know there was such a thing as pro wrestling school.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
One of the UK guys did, was it IrishDave?

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »
When I was 40 I trained with a Wrestling company based out of Saskatoon. I didnt do it cause I wanted to wrestle full time, it was simply a bucket list thing. And I bucket listed, participating in one match (a barbed wire match sweeeeeeet). I delivered an excellent suplex

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
When I was 40 I trained with a Wrestling company based out of Saskatoon. I didnt do it cause I wanted to wrestle full time, it was simply a bucket list thing. And I bucket listed, participating in one match (a barbed wire match sweeeeeeet). I delivered an excellent suplex

Awesome!  I think it would be fun to do like you said just for a bucket list thing. I just don't think my lower back could take it.  :-X

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
Awesome!  I think it would be fun to do like you said just for a bucket list thing. I just don't think my lower back could take it.  :-X

mine couldnt either but damned  if I wasnt gonna try

Im assuming you know the story when I came from the crowd to fight in an mma event in the cage?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
mine couldnt either but damned  if I wasnt gonna try

Im assuming you know the story when I came from the crowd to fight in an mma event in the cage?

No, I never heard that story.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 12:42:00 AM »
From 12 to 17 I wanted to be a pro wrestler. Had a school eyed that was ran by King Kong Bundy and someone else for when I got older. Even got a autograph from King Kong Bundy.  ;D

But eventually I became bored with it and moved on.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 05:02:52 AM »
I got as far as dropping flying elbow's Macho Man style off the couch onto my stuffed polar bear that I won at a fair.  ;D

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »
I got as far as dropping flying elbow's Macho Man style off the couch onto my stuffed polar bear that I won at a fair.  ;D

I was DDTing my brown stuffed bear.  :D

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 04:58:35 PM »
I did 3 months training back in 2009, but stopped when I broke my foot in the ring and had to take time off work.  Couldn't afford to do that again so didn't go back.  I did get to do a show though, a tag match in front of 100+ people which was awesome.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:14:34 AM »
I did 3 months training back in 2009, but stopped when I broke my foot in the ring and had to take time off work.  Couldn't afford to do that again so didn't go back.  I did get to do a show though, a tag match in front of 100+ people which was awesome.
Shit, I never knew that. Sorry to hear about your injury.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »

I remember you posted a video from one of your matches. Were you injured during a show?

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »

awesomeeeeeeee

dammitman

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »
It's always been a dream of mine lol

There was a local group in my area that put on a show in the parking lot of a novelty store once.  There was a crowd of about 50 people and some friends and I went to it.  It seemed like they were mostly teens and 20-somethings and no one really had the "look" of a pro wrestler, but they weren't bad in the ring.  I kept thinking to myself "I would be like a Rock or Batista compared to these guys" but never got a chance to find out how to get into the promotion and train with them.

We goofed around with backyard wrestling for a little bit, went through some plywood and smacked each other with chairs, but you feel stupid when there's no one there to watch.  Just a few guys smacking each other around in the yard. 
Everyone is fair game.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
It's always been a dream of mine lol

There was a local group in my area that put on a show in the parking lot of a novelty store once.  There was a crowd of about 50 people and some friends and I went to it.  It seemed like they were mostly teens and 20-somethings and no one really had the "look" of a pro wrestler, but they weren't bad in the ring.  I kept thinking to myself "I would be like a Rock or Batista compared to these guys" but never got a chance to find out how to get into the promotion and train with them.

We goofed around with backyard wrestling for a little bit, went through some plywood and smacked each other with chairs, but you feel stupid when there's no one there to watch.  Just a few guys smacking each other around in the yard. 
That's quite a story bud. A lot of Pro Wrestlers also came from backyard wrestling. C.M. Punk and Mick Foley started that way.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
That's quite a story bud. A lot of Pro Wrestlers also came from backyard wrestling. C.M. Punk and Mick Foley started that way.

Yep I heard cm punks backyard wrestling was drawing a bigger crowd than their local indie.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »
There was a guy here, awhile ago, who was an indie pro. He was in a tag team.

He was a big dude and the team was an old school brawling type.

Anybody remember him?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 04:02:19 AM »
There was a guy here, awhile ago, who was an indie pro. He was in a tag team.

He was a big dude and the team was an old school brawling type.

Anybody remember him?

Do you mean Max Testosterone?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »

Do you mean Max Testosterone?

The guy I was thinking of is Ruffneck. Apparently, Maxxx wrestled, too, but, I believe his thing is Strongman. Your clue helped me find the thread. Well done, Sir:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=265925.0

As an aside, this thread is six years old. Can you believe this board has been around that long?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
Yep I heard cm punks backyard wrestling was drawing a bigger crowd than their local indie.
I bought the Punk dvd...they were drawing crowds of 200-300 people at a local park where they would set up a pretty good makeshift ring. Unreal. 

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »
Shit, I never knew that. Sorry to hear about your injury.

I remember you posted a video from one of your matches. Were you injured during a show?

Not in the show thankfully, it was during training a couple of weeks later.  It was only a small break across the bone in the ball of my foot, but it put me out of action for about 4 weeks.  Being self-employed if I'm not working I'm not earning, and I just couldn't take that risk again.  The break was also the last in a string of injuries/niggles though, constant whiplash type pain in my neck, took a wonky bump and damaged something in my shoulder, landed in the ropes from a suplex and damaged ligaments in my knee...  I should probably have taken the hint that wrestling wasn't for me!

I really enjoyed the experience though, the really annoying thing was I was due to be in the next show as well which was going to be a 500-600 audience.  I even had friends driving up from the other end of the country to watch me in it, but I was stuck hobbling about in a cast.

I think the video is knocking about here somewhere, but it makes me cringe every time I watch it.  I didn't miss any of the spots we'd planned, but there were so many basic errors made.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 04:33:32 AM »
Not in the show thankfully, it was during training a couple of weeks later.  It was only a small break across the bone in the ball of my foot, but it put me out of action for about 4 weeks.  Being self-employed if I'm not working I'm not earning, and I just couldn't take that risk again.  The break was also the last in a string of injuries/niggles though, constant whiplash type pain in my neck, took a wonky bump and damaged something in my shoulder, landed in the ropes from a suplex and damaged ligaments in my knee...  I should probably have taken the hint that wrestling wasn't for me!

I really enjoyed the experience though, the really annoying thing was I was due to be in the next show as well which was going to be a 500-600 audience.  I even had friends driving up from the other end of the country to watch me in it, but I was stuck hobbling about in a cast.

I think the video is knocking about here somewhere, but it makes me cringe every time I watch it.  I didn't miss any of the spots we'd planned, but there were so many basic errors made.
Too bad you didn't make it all the way. You probably could have saved the entire current roster  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 05:12:28 AM »
Too bad you didn't make it all the way. You probably could have saved the entire current roster  :)

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and crap out better angle ideas than creative.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 06:59:39 AM »

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and crap out better angle ideas than creative.
:-X the soup bro...the soup.