Author Topic: was humbled in the gym...  (Read 2584 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
was humbled in the gym...
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:22:37 AM »
size really doens't matter apparenlty unless both fighters are equal in everything else....

here lately my partner and i have been training with a friend that's a cardio kickboxing coach at our gym. he's also a grappling coach and a 3rd degree black belt in american karate looking to open his own school very very soon. he's shorter and very weak compared to us when it comes to lifts...maybe 5'5" or a little less at a buck forty at the MOST...

saw him throw a punch at a 100lb heavy bag and made that bitch basically fold in half around his fist...i was floored..i'm 6'1" and this guys foot can reach my face with very little effort...

just goes to show ya  :)  i had my lunch money out ready to hand over and i'm 22 years old!  :o

an123

• Getbig IV
Re: was humbled in the gym...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:02:51 AM »
Weight matters more in grappling (if skill is somewhat similar), reach matters in striking.  If he tried to kick someone 6'+ in the face at 5'5" he'd get taken down.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:10:29 AM »
where does aggression factor in this?

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:13:51 AM »
In fighting, plenty.

In sport grappling.. Not so much.  Most overly aggressive types get tapped rather easily, unless they are skilled of course. 

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:47:39 AM »
the aggression seems to cloud the minds of those i watched...the stop thinking and start trying to just over power someone...

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 09:41:01 AM »
We get a lot of new guys at the club who try and use their "retard" strength to neck crank people into oblivion... They tend to get tapped repeatedly and never come back. 

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »
i'm a big dude and have tried it...and very rarely can you neck crank someone easily... usually an arm bar or lock has worked in the past...

wrist locks have worked for me too....painful and they get scared of disaster if they struggle against it...

:-\

remember this is either rolling with folks that i know train or someone at a party being an asshole wanting a piece of someone bigger.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 03:12:28 PM »
usually over aggressive dudes seem to gas alittle quicker,unless ofcourse hes in awesome shape already from another tough sport like wrestling
R

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 11:50:36 AM »
If he doesn't teach both stand-up and a solid ground game, I'd save my money.  It could be good for cardio, but that's about it.  Majority of people will never get into an altercation where they'd need to use it anyhow.  Plus, they teach self-discipline and frown on altercations unless it's the last option.  Only way I'd take a stand-up style of fighting is if it were Muay Thai!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »
he does mixed...and he also fights