Author Topic: Any metalhead getbiggers?  (Read 200138 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Re: Any metalhead getbiggers?
« Reply #725 on: January 15, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »
Jake E Lee imo is the best guitarist to come from 80’s rock. Stage presence, showmanship, technique  

Amen.

Badlands was an amazing 80s-type 90s band. Now, if Jake got John Corabi up front and Jeff Martin on drums, I'd totally iTunes his Red Dragon deal for $9.99.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #726 on: January 15, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
George Lynch, Warren DeMartini,..... No mention of Jake E Lee? IMO, he was Ozzy's best guitarist (arguably Rhandy Rhodes).

Jake is truly talented.

But after he ditched Badlands, he went into recluse mode and never played. By his own admission, he had one guitar and kept it in the back of a closet. Never played. Mike Varney contacted him about a dozen years ago and essentially forced him into making a record with some name players. That album, Retraced, is lifeless and dull (own it, of course). His chops are hugely deteriorated.

His return with the Red Dragon Cartel was underwhelming, largely. Again, his chops had become seriously rusty and betrayed his many years not practicing/playing.

(His singer, Darren Smith, is the drummer for Canada’s Harem Scarem. An aquaintence. He actually told me about going to meet with Jake to try out. Darren’s a very good singer but tends to drink too much and becomes sloppy and dumb. I’ve witnessed this on more than one occasion. For some good singing from him, listen to Harem Scarem’s “Sentimental Blvd”.)

He’s continuing with RDC so we’ll see if he can reclaim his past abilities.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #727 on: January 15, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
Saw George Lynch a few times and he still has chops.

Lynch has reclaimed his historic chops these past years, yes.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #728 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:49 AM »
Jake E Lee imo is the best guitarist to come from 80’s rock. Stage presence, showmanship, technique  

A hard rock/metal legend.

Him and Warren DeMartini were roommates for a time. As an original guitarist in Ratt, Jake recommended Warren for the spot when he bailed for Ozzy.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #729 on: January 15, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »
Another guy who gets no love out of the 80's is John Sykes. Between Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Blue Murder. Excellent guitarist good voice and had the look.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #730 on: January 15, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
George Lynch, Warren DeMartini,..... No mention of Jake E Lee? IMO, he was Ozzy's best guitarist (arguably Rhandy Rhodes).

Honorable mention to Zakk Wylde. One of my favorite solos here. Not to mention he's no stranger to the iron.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #731 on: January 15, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
Jake E Lee’s playing in this song is phenomenal, particularly the last 30 seconds. You don’t want him to stop.

The singer is fantastic too. Too bad he died.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #732 on: January 15, 2018, 06:14:49 PM »
Another guy who gets no love out of the 80's is John Sykes. Between Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Blue Murder. Excellent guitarist good voice and had the look.

Oh, man. Don’t get me started. Sykes is a god. One of the most aggressive and searing players in heavy rock/metal. His vibrato is SO good it’s almost criminal. Tone, chops, attitude, and looks.

The debut Blue Murder record is a stone-cold classic. Saw the band when it toured that one (Stage Dolls opened). Stood directly in front of John. Amazing.

I recently bought the mega-deluxe version of the self-titled Whitesnake anniversary reissue. It’s housed in a box and includes several discs (w/DVD) and a book. Seventy bucks. I love the album because of Sykes.

I could talk for hours about John.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #733 on: January 16, 2018, 12:31:48 AM »
Sykes is/was an amazing guitarist.

It’s been said a million times over on guitar forums n discussions everywhere that Sykes doesn’t owe us anything

The footprint he left is solid

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #734 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:10 AM »

It’s been said a million times over on guitar forums n discussions everywhere that Sykes doesn’t owe us anything

His leap in chops after around 1984 is staggering. And he was very good before.

bgm

• Getbig II
« Reply #735 on: January 16, 2018, 06:51:36 AM »
Not a fan of Zakk Wylde. Everything sounds the same.

Favorite Jake E Lee work is anything on the Bark at the Moon album. An outstanding display of his skills.

Rate Ozzy guitarists:
1. Randy Rhoads
2. Jake E Lee
3. Brad Gillis   ;D
4. Zakk Wylde

Purge_WTF

« Reply #736 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:25 AM »

bgm

• Getbig II
« Reply #737 on: January 16, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #738 on: January 16, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
Not a fan of Zakk Wylde. Everything sounds the same.

Favorite Jake E Lee work is anything on the Bark at the Moon album. An outstanding display of his skills.

Rate Ozzy guitarists:
1. Randy Rhoads
2. Jake E Lee
3. Brad Gillis   ;D
4. Zakk Wylde

Gillis is one HELL of a guitarist.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #739 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:29 AM »

His black 78 Les Paul all chromed out looked awesome!

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #740 on: January 16, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »

This new singer is shit. Angela Gossow was great.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #741 on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »
Gillis is one HELL of a guitarist.

I had tickets (when Randy died) to see Ozzy, Gillis jumped right in and did a fine job w/ in a very small time frame.
Pulled it off amazingly... Then was fine on the live album (Of Sabbath Songs - Speak of the Devil).

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #742 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »
I'm a metalhead I love metal

bgm

• Getbig II
« Reply #743 on: January 16, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
This new singer is shit. Angela Gossow was great.

The new singer is up to the task. Ever see Arch Enemy live with Alissa White-Gluz? I have, and she is great. Excellent front man with a real command of the audience, who sounds great live.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #744 on: January 16, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
I can't get into chick lead singers for metal. Not a one.

Maybe some rare exceptions ... Lita Ford, Doro Pesch. About all I can think of.

Tried to get into Arch Enemy. Awful. Band wouldn't get any attention if she wasn't hot or dating Doyle.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #745 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »

Tried to get into Arch Enemy. Awful. Band wouldn't get any attention if she wasn't hot or dating Doyle.

I like Doro. That’s it. THAT chick is metal.

As far as Arch Enemy, I’m a fan. Own it all. BUT ... not for either of the two broads. Only for the music/playing. The band is tight and hugely skilled. Sometimes boring, sure (ha, ha).

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #746 on: January 17, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »
I had tickets (when Randy died) to see Ozzy, Gillis jumped right in and did a fine job w/ in a very small time frame.
Pulled it off amazingly... Then was fine on the live album (Of Sabbath Songs - Speak of the Devil).

Yep. And it’s all the more impressive when you factor in how UNlike Randy Brad’s playing is. Gillis is quite simply an extraordinarily seasoned and professional musician.

I’ve been a mondo Night Ranger fan since the mid-‘80s. I also own both solo records from Brad. The first, Gilrock Ranch, is an amazing guitar-centric effort.

(On a side note, ex-NR co-guitarist Jeff Watson is fantastic in his own right. His solo records kick ass, too.)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #747 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »

This might be the best thing I’ve ever seen with a female vocalist doing metal.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #748 on: January 17, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »
I like Doro. That’s it. THAT chick is metal.

As far as Arch Enemy, I’m a fan. Own it all. BUT ... not for either of the two broads. Only for the music/playing. The band is tight and hugely skilled. Sometimes boring, sure (ha, ha).

Jeff Loomis looks bored in that band

It’s like Steve Vai being in Crue

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #749 on: January 17, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
Jeff Loomis looks bored in that band

It’s like Steve Vai being in Crue

I’d always held hope Nevermore would resume activities. Now with Warrel dead ... Damn. Loomis is incredible. Michael always talks about how he writes the music, and this is all well and good, but if Jeff never comes to be permitted to contribute in this capacity, I’d imagine his membership in AE will be reasonably short-lived.

He’s too strong a writer/creative musician to just be a hired gun. It’s fun having him in the band, though. Loomis’ soloing is always wicked good. And it contrasts nicely with Michael’s, as well.