Author Topic: Any getbiggers invested in physical gold?  (Read 6390 times)

Simple Simon

Re: Any getbiggers invested in physical gold?
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 06:18:25 AM »
So you're saying something that can get you more cash than you started with is not of use? Interesting notion.

Also, never own a sweet shop if you'd refuse a block of gold in exchange for a 70p chocolate bar.  ;D

Do gold prices always go up, does it always go up faster than other ways of investing like stocks and shares?

And don't go into a sweet shop with a block of gold if you expect to come out with a snickers and change.  ;D

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 06:25:05 AM »
Do gold prices always go up, does it always go up faster than other ways of investing like stocks and shares?

And don't go into a sweet shop with a block of gold if you expect to come out with a snickers and change.  ;D

No, and you know this. But if you have spare money and patience it can pay off. It's not guaranteed, but can pay off which gives it use in a financial sense.

If I'm going to miss my anabolic window I'll gladly exchange one of my gold blocks in exchange for a snickers with no change.

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:22 AM »
gold is a barbarous relic.

Nothing worse than idiot gold bugs. Most are just ron paul supporters with little to no common sense or ability to free think.

Simple Simon

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2015, 06:29:30 AM »
No, and you know this. But if you have spare money and patience it can pay off. It's not guaranteed, but can pay off which gives it use in a financial sense.

If I'm going to miss my anabolic window I'll gladly exchange one of my gold blocks in exchange for a snickers with no change.
For the man on the street its simply not worth the hassle.
Buy gold hoard it for ten years, sell it , make a few quid, then take into account ten years worth of inflation, knock that of your profit??

Simple Simon

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2015, 06:30:20 AM »

Nothing worse than idiot gold bugs. Most are just ron paul supporters with little to no common sense or ability to free think.

Are you with me or against me?

I'm not sure....

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »

Why do banks store/hoard gold bars in their vaults?

You're a free thinker?... please.

Simple Simon

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
Why do banks store/hoard gold bars in their vaults?

You're a free thinker?... please.
That makes sense when you have the Gold Standard, that went in the 1930s, it doesnt make as much sense now.
Better investing in property, way more intrinsic value than gold.

My parents paid £300 for their house, its worth around £100,000 now.

In 1963 that money would have bought them about 2 ounce of gold, today 2 ounce of gold is worth just over $2,300

Yep, buy gold guys, its a sound investment.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »

Simple Simon

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2015, 01:33:16 PM »
Worst case with gold is if you don't need to sell it you can melt it down and make a fancy iphone case out of it.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
That makes sense when you have the Gold Standard, that went in the 1930s, it doesnt make as much sense now.
Better investing in property, way more intrinsic value than gold.

My parents paid £300 for their house, its worth around £100,000 now.

In 1963 that money would have bought them about 2 ounce of gold, today 2 ounce of gold is worth just over $2,300

Yep, buy gold guys, its a sound investment.

The fiat dollar you love has been greatly devalued since your parents bought that $300 crap shack.  That's the main reason it takes so many more of those dollars to buy that same house today.  

BTW, in 1963 gold was $35.25 an ounce.  That $300 bought 8.5 ounces then, and is worth $10,500 today... a 3500% return on "investment".  

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Didn't America give China a shitload of Tungsten Filled Fake Gold Bars years ago?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2015, 04:42:34 PM »
Gold has value because it can be exchanged for cash.

So isn't that what is what currency is?

"Cash" is only valued cause other people accept it.

It's either paper or numbers on a screen and it can decrease in value by manipulation.

Gold is a form of long term investment with a good track record. I am no expert but I'm getting increasingly skeptical about having all my money in a bank and want to spread the risk.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2015, 05:31:25 AM »
Worst case with gold is if you don't need to sell it you can melt it down and make a fancy iphone case out of it.

Or coat dumbbells and weights with it.  :D
a

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2015, 05:46:32 AM »
gold bugs been saying the same thing for years. They claimed mass inflation when we are in a deflationary vortex.

Pure retards

Simple Simon

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2015, 06:05:18 AM »
The fiat dollar you love has been greatly devalued since your parents bought that $300 crap shack.  That's the main reason it takes so many more of those dollars to buy that same house today.  

BTW, in 1963 gold was $35.25 an ounce.  That $300 bought 8.5 ounces then, and is worth $10,500 today... a 3500% return on "investment".  

You do realise your argument hasn't been helped by that post.
My parents house is worth £100,000 for that same £300 investment, a bit better than $10,500 wouldn't you agree?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2015, 06:07:24 AM »
My parents house is worth £100,000 for that same £300 investment, a bit better than $10,500 wouldn't you agree?

the housing market is a great premise to win any argument

low risk long term mostly guaranteed

gold by and large is what people invest in, in uncertain times

tends to be less effected than other transient investments

true story
T

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »
Who are these people? Morons throughout history have invested in gold. ITs to maintain your purchase power, its not an investment in the traditional sense.

Smart people buy cash bearing assets...real estate...equities....pri vate businesses...farm land etc.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2015, 06:39:25 AM »
Who are these people? Morons throughout history have invested in gold. ITs to maintain your purchase power, its not an investment in the traditional sense.

Smart people buy cash bearing assets...real estate...equities....pri vate businesses...farm land etc.

If Gold is so worthless then why does the federal reserve hold on to so much of it?  Is it a safe gap if the US dollar crashes to have an asset they can sell off?

Simple Simon

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2015, 06:43:39 AM »
If Gold is so worthless then why does the federal reserve hold on to so much of it?  Is it a safe gap if the US dollar crashes to have an asset they can sell off?
If the dollar crashes what currency would you accept for your gold?
If the dollar crashed other countries would pillage your gold at rock bottom price.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »
The coins were the "medium of exchange" and had a designated value, anything can be used as a medium of exchange as long as we all agree on it.

where did the coins designated value come from?  Why did a silver dime have a smaller value than a silver quarter.  Here's a hint...its because of the amount of precious metal in it.  Its the metal that gave value. The designation only helped to ease transactions so people weren't forced to weigh and test the metal's purity on their own.  If it came weighed and stamped from a recognized "authority" like the San Fran mint people would be more apt to accept the coin.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
If the dollar crashes what currency would you accept for your gold?
If the dollar crashed other countries would pillage your gold at rock bottom price.

Actually other countries tried that.  France in particular in the late 60s.  That's why Nixon closed the gold window.  All the gold we had gotten from our WW2 gaines was being depleted by countries because of the Brettonwoods act that said we had to have x amount of gold for x amount of currency in circulation.  We needed to finance the Vietnam war so we printed a shit load of currency.  Other countries saw what was happening and took advantage of being able to redeem dollars from us at $35/oz of gold.  We couldn't let that happen so we closed the window and defaulted on our international obligations.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »

Fiat paper money is constantly being devalued.  You don't/can't seem to understand this.

The only "argument" is coming from you because you cannot understand what real money is.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2015, 05:15:55 PM »
Gold isn't edible or very practical for building. It doesn't have much use for the common man.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2015, 03:27:59 AM »
In 300 years nobody will be diving in the ocean for US dollar bills!