Author Topic: Breakthrough Study! Junk food not the cause for the obesity epidemic  (Read 2139 times)

Simple Simon

Re: Breakthrough Study! Junk food not the cause for the obesity epidemic
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:16 AM »
Too much Sugar is the main USA obesity problem. That and XXXXL portions of food.
fixed

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 06:41:07 AM »

Study shows that there is no significant difference between how much of these foods the fatties eat versus the non fatties. The difference is the amount that is eaten. Regardless of the type of food people eat the main, if not sole, reason people are fat is that they eat too much.

Who would have thought?

BTW, I never really understood the concept of "junk food". I mean, food consists of just three macro nutrients. I do see how any of them in and of itself is "junk". Even the much maligned saturated fat is earning it's due place in a man's diet. You can just consume too much or too little.

Maybe food high in chemicals might be deemed "junk" but chemicals aren't really food. I guess maybe they should be called polluted food.
Polluted foods with chemicals or bacteria I would concede would be bad for you.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20151105/junk-food-not-to-blame-for-americas-obesity-epidemic-study
So, it takes a study to tell us that gluttony is bad? Gee, and how much did this cost?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »
Another poorly designed and poorly interpreted "study".  Not even a real experiment, but a review of some prior survey findings.  It's absolutley clear that cutting out the slop will cause you to lose weight.

A calorie is a calorie is to some extent besides the point.  Life is psychology.  A calorie doesn't feel like a calorie.  If you can eat fewer calories more easily by cutting out the densely packed calories of slop, then you lose weight and it doesn't feel as depriving.

Exactly. It's like saying someone who makes $12/hr should have the same lifestyle as someone who makes $60/hour- all they have to do is work 5x as many hours. The dollar may be fungible, but none of the other factors are. People don't eat by the calorie.

On top of that, this study  classifies junk food as soda, fast food and candy only. So, fried chicken and cheeseburgers made at your own house wouldn't count.  Crap study.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 02:23:57 PM »
I'll take that bait.  Calorie density and nutrient sparsity.  As in: 200 calories of veggies is healthier than 200 calories of sugar.  

And by all means lets not neglect the fourth macro - alcohol.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »
Looks like I picked the wrong thread to quit sniffing glue.