Author Topic: Longest Heel or Face  (Read 9342 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Longest Heel or Face
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
In old school WWF, the heels didn't hang around that long. The main eventers would have a run with Bruno, Pedro or Backlund, and then be gone.

The longest heel runs would be the managers as they could latch on to whom ever arrived on the scene.

So, you had the Three Wise Men: Albano, Wizard and Blassie, and later, The Brain.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 08:50:44 PM »
In old school WWF, the heels didn't hang around that long. The main eventers would have a run with Bruno, Pedro or Backlund, and then be gone.

The longest heel runs would be the managers as they could latch on to whom ever arrived on the scene.

So, you had the Three Wise Men: Albano, Wizard and Blassie, and later, The Brain.
i loved that ,,,when howard finkel would announce the manager from mount carmel ny capt louuissss albano'loud boos'and the challenger so and so....great heels from that era,snuka,patera,magnificent muraco, billy graham ,,superstar and the later karate graham,stan stasiak,masked superstar.iron sheik,adrian adonis,ventura,mr fuuujjiiiii,,sgt slaughter.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 03:35:13 AM »
Atlas has a phenomenal build...just unreal and way ahead of his time. Youtube Tony Atlas circa 1978-1982 and you'll see what I mean.

hmm, was Saba Simba a face or heel? Worst gimmick ever up there with Gobbledy Gooker

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 03:37:15 AM »

That's basically how it worked back in the territory days. A new heel would come in, squash jobbers for 10 weeks straight, have a main event 6 month run with the world champion, collect 200 grand in that time and move on to the next territory. Guys never got old or stale.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
That's basically how it worked back in the territory days. A new heel would come in, squash jobbers for 10 weeks straight, have a main event 6 month run with the world champion, collect 200 grand in that time and move on to the next territory. Guys never got old or stale.

Ahh the good old days

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »
hmm, was Saba Simba a face or heel? Worst gimmick ever up there with Gobbledy Gooker

Saba Simba ("come on, that's Toooonneeeeeee Atlas!!!!") was a face
~

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »
Saba Simba ("come on, that's Toooonneeeeeee Atlas!!!!") was a face

Face, for sure.

That you have to think about it, speaks volumes about the gimmick. :'(

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 04:31:06 AM »
Face, for sure.

I was only joking...it was soo bad I tried to erase it from my mind. Speaking of, for the older folks, remember when Atlas and Johnson won the WWE titles from Wild Samoans?? I have heard on numerous occassions that Johnson hated Atlas, didnt get along which is why their run was soo short...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 05:15:08 AM »
jyd?he wrestled other territories as well..ever a heel?i remember him as a face..

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
Face, for sure.

What also speaks volumes is that the main thing people remember is Roddy Piper immediately killing the gimmick (Toooneeeeee Atlas)
~

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 07:02:08 AM »
Littleguns mentioned Ricky Steamboat in the first post.

Rick has told the story that, after 17 years in the business, he wanted to experience being a heel before hanging it up and approached Pat Patterson about it. Pat told him, "Ricky, you're just a face. You can never be a bad guy."

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »

Rick has told the story that, after 17 years in the business, he wanted to experience being a heel before hanging it up and approached Pat Patterson about it. Pat told him, "Ricky, you're just a face. You can never be a bad guy."
For some crazy reason, I just cannot picture Ricky Steamboat as a heel. I just don't think he's mean enough. He was always the ultimate face...more than Hogan in his Hulkamania hayday.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »

The closest I ever saw Ricky Steamboat to having a mean streak was a match during his Jake Roberts fued (a match after the concrete DDT indicent) when Steamboat had been counted out of the ring and after the bell continued to pummel Roberts while holding onto his hair, even threatening the ref.  That, and maybe the 1978 Mid-Atlantic incident where he beat the crap out of Ric Flair and tore his suit off, leaving Flair in tighty whiteys.

~

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
Abdullah the Butcher.  Don't think he was ever a face.

Stan Hansen?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »
Abdullah the Butcher.  Don't think he was ever a face.

Stan Hansen?

Hansen was a huge face, in Japan. In the states, I don't recall any time when he wasn't a heel.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
Hansen was a huge face, in Japan. In the states, I don't recall any time when he wasn't a heel.

He had a couple face turns in Georgia Championship Wrestling...

~

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
He had a couple face turns in Georgia Championship Wrestling...

I have a feeling that era was before they started airing GCW in the Northeast. I had never seen that clip, before. Sullivan looks really young.

I do remember Austin Idol. He was a poor man's Superstar Billy Graham. Pretty solid physique in his prime, as did Lewin. That was the Dianabol Era.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
I have a feeling that era was before they started airing GCW in the Northeast. I had never seen that clip, before. Sullivan looks really young.

I do remember Austin Idol. He was a poor man's Superstar Billy Graham. Pretty solid physique in his prime.

This was the pre-Satanic, "patriotic" Sullivan.
~

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »
This was the pre-Satanic, "patriotic" Sullivan.
satanic sullivan was some angle,purple haze,billy graham spent some time there,jake the snake,what was the girls name?raven ,they created havoc in the florida scene..sullivan was a trip..

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2015, 10:47:25 PM »
Muraco?

Brooklyn Brawler? ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2015, 01:24:04 AM »
Muraco?

Brooklyn Brawler? ;D

Muraco was definitely both - and, that was just in the WWF. He said after retirement that he preferred working heel.

Steve Lombardi is a good one. I think he was a heel even in his jobber days. Allegedly, his push was due to his "relationship" with Pat Patterson.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2015, 04:17:05 AM »
Wasn't Johnny Weaver always a face?
~

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 05:23:51 AM »

Muraco was definitely both - and, that was just in the WWF. He said after retirement that he preferred working heel.

Steve Lombardi is a good one. I think he was a heel even in his jobber days. Allegedly, his push was due to his "relationship" with Pat Patterson.
muraco like piper better heal,just do the the arrogant smirks they ggave as they entered ring getting hit with soda's /food/booed they just smugly walked to ring without blinking an eye..loved it..

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
I think Bundy was always a heel.

I still remember going to the old Montreal Forum to watch Wrestlemania 2 to watch it on the big screen lol.

Thats where Roddy Piper fought Mr T in a boxing match

It really was real to me back then DAMMIT

The cage was an actual real cage and Bundy looked so indestructible

"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
I think Bundy was always a heel.

I still remember going to the old Montreal Forum to watch Wrestlemania 2 to watch it on the big screen lol.

Thats where Roddy Piper fought Mr T in a boxing match

It really was real to me back then DAMMIT

The cage was an actual real cage and Bundy looked so indestructible

I HATED THOSE CAGES . I LIKE THE OLDSCHOOL LIKE A CHAIN LINK FENCE...