Author Topic: Old fashioned, heavy-duty Bench  (Read 7132 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Old fashioned, heavy-duty Bench
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
He should be paying you $80 bucks for taking his junk out of his house saving him a trip to the junk yard. The piece looks solid but like stated before the uprights are narrow. Not a deal killer. You just have to adapt when loading the bar by pushing on the opposite side of the bar.  Some fresh paint and you will have a strong bench.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:30:25 AM »
how much would you pay to be let loose in there and get to keep all you can carry in one trip ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???.. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Id fill my truck with all of those globes and circus bells  8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
He should be paying you $80 bucks for taking his junk out of his house saving him a trip to the junk yard. The piece looks solid but like stated before the uprights are narrow. Not a deal killer. You just have to adapt when loading the bar by pushing on the opposite side of the bar.  Some fresh paint and you will have a strong bench.
     i pretty much always had used the close upright benches safer reracking if you don't use too much and get out of control........ ::) ::) ::) ::)than you might lose as finger or two...
F

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »
Gimmick trash, here is some real training

I think he's starting with 505

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »
Id fill my truck with all of those globes and circus bells  8)
               power, don't get started on who coined the phrase circus dumbell.. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »
               power, don't get started on who coined the phrase circus dumbell.. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
and on that note this is what the iron graveyard looks like arranged....actually the collection of ricard sorin of sorinex equipment co...
F

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 03:50:14 AM »
and on that note this is what the iron graveyard looks like arranged....actually the collection of ricard sorin of sorinex equipment co...

I've never in my life seen a 200# plate.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 04:29:32 AM »
No worth a penny over $79.99...

The guy that is selling the bench just reduced the price to $50

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 04:59:04 AM »
how much would you pay to be let loose in there and get to keep all you can carry in one trip ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???.. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Fiddy!   :D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:53 AM »
The guy that is selling the bench just reduced the price to $50

Only if you want to weld a strut under the pins.  Then you'll be a day in a mask with a grinder taking the whole thing back to metal, priming and painting for a couple hours per day over the next 3-4 days for a cost of $100+ in materials (unless you're happy to leave it rusty).  Plus the cost of whatever your time is worth.

You're buying a project.  The difference between the purchase cost and free isn't worth haggling over.  The question is whether you want this project enough to justify its costs.  You'd get a brand new Chinese bench that will incline and decline for less than what the paint is going to cost.  On the other hand, it's not made in China and maybe you really dig it - if for no other reason than it harkens to a time when a guy could knock up something in his garage for less than retail price - but you will have to earn it.

Flip it and have a good look at the underside.  If you can bang a hammer through it, you don't want it.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 05:50:50 AM »
     i pretty much always had used the close upright benches safer reracking if you don't use too much and get out of control........ ::) ::) ::) ::)than you might lose as finger or two...
I use a pair of  squat stands behind my bench can space them to suit any Bar. Close uprights can be a pain when doing close grip benches when racking the bar.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
I think he's starting with 505

Yes indeed. This is a photo of Bertil using 505

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
I've never in my life seen a 200# plate.

Looks like each 200LB plate has it's own upright storage rack