Author Topic: SFUSD to consider distributing condoms at middle schools  (Read 3053 times)

James

Re: SFUSD to consider distributing condoms at middle schools
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »

And I stand by my position that bad policy doesn't improve a bad situation.

Like the Gang of 8 Amnesty Bill that Rubio wrote and pushed?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
Yeah you did.  compared to stopping crime.

Its not meaningless at all. Its the whole point.

So less pregnancies and STD among 12-13 year olds doesn't improve a bad situation?   ok lol

It's only the "whole point" if it's a problem that is increasing and this solution will prevent it, while not at the same time encouraging the very conduct it is trying to address. 

Giving condoms to 12-13 year olds who cannot consent to sex is bad policy, so no that doesn't improve a bad situation, assuming it is something that is "increasing."   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
Typical unrealistic response.  "Stop them" with no govt involvement in families, and plenty of jail time.  Zero specifics, just vague complaints

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »
Like the Gang of 8 Amnesty Bill that Rubio wrote and pushed?

lol.  You are relentless.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
It's only the "whole point" if it's a problem that is increasing and this solution will prevent it, while not at the same time encouraging the very conduct it is trying to address. 

Giving condoms to 12-13 year olds who cannot consent to sex is bad policy, so no that doesn't improve a bad situation, assuming it is something that is "increasing."   

The point is, there isn't a solution.  That's why i asked if you had one.  So you would rather do nothing while it continues instead of doing something that will help lessen a negative result.  

That's ignorant.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »
The point is, there isn't a solution.  That's why i asked if you had one.  So you would rather do nothing while it continues instead of doing something that will help lessen a negative result.  

That's ignorant.  

What's ignorant is talking about a solution--especially a bad solution--before you have identified the problem.  Bass-ackwards.   

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »
LOL@ the IDIOT who thinks kids having sex is "breaking the law" you need a baseball bat broken over your thick ass head.
?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »
the kids will just see them as baloons to blow up and have fun with...
?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »
LOL@ the IDIOT who thinks kids having sex is "breaking the law" you need a baseball bat broken over your thick ass head.

You might want to look up "age of consent" and the implications that flow from that issue.   :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »
What's ignorant is talking about a solution--especially a bad solution--before you have identified the problem.  Bass-ackwards.   

Are 12-13 kids having sex?

As a result are there instances of pregnancies and STDs?

If the answer is no to this, then yes, giving them condoms is a bad idea.

But that's not the case.  Its around 12% at age 12 having sex.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
Are 12-13 kids having sex?

As a result are there instances of pregnancies and STDs?

If the answer is no to this, then yes, giving them condoms is a bad idea.

But that's not the case.  Its around 12% at age 12 having sex.

incorrect. I asked if they increasing and if thats the reason for the action

Are we talking about increasing or not? 

And if so, does the 12 percent number you mentioned refer to sex, STDs, or both? 

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
You might want to look up "age of consent" and the implications that flow from that issue.   :)

Dosen't matter, screw the written age on consent (pun intended...)
Way to hide reality behind a law, it's not helping anyone, you think the kids care about that law???? C'mon man...
?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
Dosen't matter, screw the written age on consent (pun intended...)
Way to hide reality behind a law, it's not helping anyone, you think the kids care about that law???? C'mon man...

It doesn't matter?  That is twisted.  Does it matter if a ten-year-old "consents"? 

And age of consent isn't helping anyone?  Seriously?  :-\

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
It doesn't matter?  That is twisted.  Does it matter if a ten-year-old "consents"? 

And age of consent isn't helping anyone?  Seriously?  :-\

Why would a 10 year old consent? Makes no sense to me, they got other stuff on their minds, stop worrying about stuff that won't happen, you are inventing potential issues.

?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
Are we talking about increasing or not? 

And if so, does the 12 percent number you mentioned refer to sex, STDs, or both? 

I asked if they are increasing and if that's the reason for the action.  There is also the issue of  there being an existing problem of pregnancies and STD's  (12% of 12 years are have had sexual intercourse.)

Giving them condoms does not solve the problem of them having sex.  But is does help lessen the problem of pregnancies and STD's.

You don't have a solution that prevents them ( a populace) from having sex (nor do i)  AND do not want the solution that lessens the problem of pregnancies and STD's.  So what happens?  More pregnancies and STD's.  that's stupid.

I believe you and I will both agree the real solution is at home.  Unfortunately too many families aren't equipped with parents who can do that.  

If my kids were that age.  I would be ok with the school giving condoms out because i can affect what my kids see it as and help prevent potential confusion.  AND if i fail, at least, i hope they will be smart enough to get condoms that freely available.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
Why would a 10 year old consent? Makes no sense to me, they got other stuff on their minds, stop worrying about stuff that won't happen, you are inventing potential issues.

Are you saying we should abolish age of consent laws?  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
I asked if they are increasing and if that's the reason for the action.  There is also the issue of  there being an existing problem of pregnancies and STD's  (12% of 12 years are have had sexual intercourse.)

Giving them condoms does not solve the problem of them having sex.  But is does help lessen the problem of pregnancies and STD's.

You don't have a solution that prevents them ( a populace) from having sex (nor do i)  AND do not want the solution that lessens the problem of pregnancies and STD's.  So what happens?  More pregnancies and STD's.  that's stupid.

I believe you and I will both agree the real solution is at home.  Unfortunately too many families aren't equipped with parents who can do that.  

If my kids were that age.  I would be ok with the school giving condoms out because i can affect what my kids see it as and help prevent potential confusion.  AND if i fail, at least, i hope they will be smart enough to get condoms that freely available.    

Your 12 percent figure only applies to sex, not STDs, so you don't know whether STDs are either a problem or an increasing problem with 12-13 year olds. 

I don't believe condoms really prevent much of anything.  We've probably had this discussion on the board before, but I don't believe that kids (or even young adults) will use them consistently enough for them to be effective.  It's a really a farce IMO.  Maybe a horny kids uses them once or even ten times.  But over the long haul?  No way, especially after they experience sex with and without a condom.  They're not going back.  lol 

We agree that the real solution is at home.  I also agree that a number of parents probably don't handle their business, for whatever reason.  What I don't think should happen is for government to then step in and advocate bad policy. 

I would never give a 12-year-old kid a condom.   

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:59 PM »
Are you saying we should abolish age of consent laws?  

What you guys are saying is kids under a certain age should not have sex even if they both want to as there is a law that states this.

Am I correct here?

If so, you guys are very old fashioned and need to understand this. Fast.
?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
Your 12 percent figure only applies to sex, not STDs, so you don't know whether STDs are either a problem or an increasing problem with 12-13 year olds. 

I don't believe condoms really prevent much of anything.  We've probably had this discussion on the board before, but I don't believe that kids (or even young adults) will use them consistently enough for them to be effective.  It's a really a farce IMO.  Maybe a horny kids uses them once or even ten times.  But over the long haul?  No way, especially after they experience sex with and without a condom.  They're not going back.  lol 

We agree that the real solution is at home.  I also agree that a number of parents probably don't handle their business, for whatever reason.  What I don't think should happen is for government to then step in and advocate bad policy. 

I would never give a 12-year-old kid a condom.   

I think a pregnant 12 year is a far bigger issue than a STD.

I realize some aren't going to use condoms but some will and pregnancies will be prevented.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »
What you guys are saying is kids under a certain age should not have sex even if they both want to as there is a law that states this.

Am I correct here?

If so, you guys are very old fashioned and need to understand this. Fast.

You are correct. 

You need to reevaluate your position, unless you really don't understand the implications of what you're saying.  Are you seriously suggesting that kids of any age should be able to legally have sex?  So a 40 year old man can have sex with a 12 year old girl, so long as the girl "consents"? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »
I think a pregnant 12 year is a far bigger issue than a STD.

I realize some aren't going to use condoms but some will and pregnancies will be prevented.

I'm sure there could be someone who benefits.  I just think this kind of policy does more harm than good. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »
So you have no solution to stop it and as result pregnancies and STD will continue because you think its a mixed message to give them something that will stop it.

Of course.

This is the head in the sand mentality of the religious right.

Ignore it and it doesn't happen.

Except for the fact that the most religious states have the worst sex education and the highest teen pregnancy rates.

Ask Sarah and Bristol how that worked out.

People say say things like this "policy does more harm than good" don't really have any evidence to say so, it's just feelings.

By far the access to birth control has prevented many pregnancies that would have otherwise happened.

I also find it ridiculous for people to talk about a 12 year old having consensual sex with a 40 year old when the conversation is really about 13 year olds having sex with other 13 year olds.

They can't consent to sex with other teens near their age?

When did that happen?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »
You are correct. 

You need to reevaluate your position, unless you really don't understand the implications of what you're saying.  Are you seriously suggesting that kids of any age should be able to legally have sex?  So a 40 year old man can have sex with a 12 year old girl, so long as the girl "consents"

NO!!!! Please doN't quote me as that! The old man is taking advantage of young women not knowing much about sex. But if both are around the same age, sure, why not?
?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »
NO!!!! Please doN't quote me as that! The old man is taking advantage of young women not knowing much about sex. But if both are around the same age, sure, why not?

Thanks for clarifying that.  Was starting to worry about you.  lol

Where would you draw the line when it comes to kids "around the same age"?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that.  Was starting to worry about you.  lol

Where would you draw the line when it comes to kids "around the same age"?

haha!

As far as age, we all know there's girls willing to have sex with older guys as they're messed in the head in that regard. It would be good to have a law to not help guys why prey on such girls.

I was thinking 3 years, maybe 3, that is a tough line to draw as some will feel mature enough at 15 to be with a 20 year old.

What do you think about how I see this?
?