Author Topic: Chuck Schumer in 2007: Senate Should Block Supreme Court Nominees for 18 Months  (Read 17760 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Schumer Claims He Didn’t Call For Blocking Bush Noms, Even Though He Clearly Did
BLAKE NEFF
Reporter
02/16/2016

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer [Yuri Gripas/Reuters]   New York Sen. Chuck Schumer [Yuri Gripas/Reuters]

New York Sen. Charles Schumer fired back at Republicans citing a 2007 speech he gave to block all George W. Bush Supreme Court nominees to justify efforts to block President Barack Obama from replacing late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

As The Daily Caller News Foundation first reported Sunday, Schumer’s recent denunciations of Republican obstructionism on the Supreme Court clash with a 2007 speech he gave calling for Democrats to block any future George W. Bush nominations. But now, Schumer says it’s dishonest to use the speech to justify current Republican plans regarding the Supreme Court.

“Over the last couple of days, some Republicans, embarrassed by their partisan overreach in attempting to prevent the President from nominating a Supreme Court justice, have tried to use a 2007 speech I gave to justify their current obstruction,” Schumer wrote Tuesday for the website Medium. “Sadly for them, even a quick perusal of the speech shows it provides no cover and that Leader McConnell is comparing apples to oranges.”

“What I said in the speech given in 2007 is simple: Democrats, after a hearing, should entertain voting no if the nominee is out of the mainstream and tries to cover that fact up,” he continued. “There was no hint anywhere in the speech that there shouldn’t be hearings or a vote. Only that if after hearings and a vote, Democrats determined that the nominee was out of the mainstream and trying to hide it, they should have no qualms about voting no.

But Schumer’s explanation doesn’t appear to line up with his remarks at the time. While it is certainly true that he never calls for avoiding hearings, as some Republicans have suggested, it is absolutely the case that he proposed categorically rejecting any new nominees Bush put forward.

In his speech to the American Constitution Society, Schumer was reflecting on his experience with the confirmations of John Roberts and Samuel Alito, whose elevation heralded a conservative shift by the Supreme Court. After claiming Democrats were “hoodwinked” by Alito and Roberts at their confirmation hearings, Schumer lays out his proposals for how Democrats should act going forward.

“For the rest of this President’s term and if there is another Republican elected with the same selection criteria let me say this: We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer said. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance.  We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts; or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito. Given the track record of this President and the experience of obfuscation at the hearings, with respect to the Supreme Court, at least:  I will recommend to my colleagues that we should not confirm a Supreme Court nominee except in extraordinary circumstances.”

Despite his piece on Medium, it is clear Schumer was not calling for Democrats to “entertain” voting against a Bush nominee. He was saying Democrats should absolutely vote down any nominee unless unclear “exceptional circumstances” dictated otherwise.

The full text of Schumer’s speech further belies his claim that Democrats would only have had to decide against a nominee after a full hearing. Much of Schumer’s speech consists of him arguing that confirmation hearings are inherently unreliable and not a good way to vet a candidate for the Supreme Court.

“Hearings produce a lot of sound and fury, often signifying nothing,” he said in 2007. “It is too easy to evade a question; it is too easy to refuse to answer; it is too easy to be coached; and it is too easy to offer an easy platitude rather than a concrete opinion.”

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/16/schumer-claims-he-didnt-call-for-blocking-bush-noms-even-though-he-clearly-did/#ixzz40SHRG0pU

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Rubio's bud, Schumer, you mean?

No way he'd lie.  Not him.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
just another libtard hypocrite being a libtard hypocrite.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Oh look:  the race card.  How original.

Clinton suggests racial 'bigotry' behind Republicans' stance in Supreme Court fight
Published February 17, 2016 
FoxNews.com

Hillary Clinton ratcheted up Democrats’ criticism of Senate Republicans in the debate over filling the Supreme Court’s sudden vacancy, suggesting Tuesday that those calling on President Obama not to nominate someone are motivated by race.

Republicans fired back on Wednesday, calling Clinton's comments a "new low" in the debate.

The Democratic presidential candidate had accused Republicans of talking in “coded racial language” during remarks in Harlem, tying that to the ongoing battle over who should replace the late Justice Antonin Scalia – and who should nominate that replacement.

Many Republicans want Obama to defer to the next president to name a successor; Obama has rejected those calls and plans to nominate a replacement, he says, “in due time.”

Clinton, speaking about race issues in Harlem on Tuesday, lit into Republicans over their position.

“Now the Republicans say they’ll reject anyone President Obama nominates, no matter how qualified. Some are even saying he doesn’t have the right to nominate anyone. As if somehow he’s not the real president,” she said.

“You know, that’s in keeping with what we’ve heard all along, isn’t it? Many Republicans talk in coded racial language about takers and losers. They demonize President Obama and encourage the ugliest impulses of the paranoid fringe. This kind of hatred and bigotry has no place in our politics or our country.”

The conservative Newsbusters accused Clinton of playing the “race card.”

The Republican National Committee challenged Clinton’s comments on Wednesday, saying the debate is about the American people “having a say” and not about the president or the nominee. 

“Hillary Clinton and President Obama set the standard for obstructing Supreme Court justices, by voting against Roberts and filibustering Alito. Invoking race to sweep her own hypocrisy on this matter under the rug is a new low,” RNC Director of Black Media Orlando Watson said in a statement.

Clinton’s comments come as she and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders battle for support from minority voters, ahead of the South Carolina Democratic primary.

In that same speech, Clinton took some implicit shots at Sanders, suggesting he only recently started paying attention to race issues. She said candidates “can't just start building relationships a few weeks before the vote."

Sanders, though, has been meeting with black leaders and discussing race issues frequently on the campaign trail and on the debate stage.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/17/clinton-suggests-racial-bigotry-behind-republicans-stance-in-supreme-court-fight.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
White House: Obama 'regrets' his filibuster of Supreme Court nominee
By Jordan Fabian - 02/17/16

President Obama “regrets” filibustering the nomination of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito in 2006, his top spokesman said Wednesday, though he maintains that the Republican opposition to his effort to replace Justice Antonin Scalia is unprecedented.

“That is an approach the president regrets,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest said.

Obama and the Democratic senators who joined him in filibustering Alito “should have been in the position where they were making a public case” against the merits of his nomination to the high court instead, Earnest said.

“They shouldn’t have looked for a way to just throw sand in the gears of the process," he added.

As a senator from Illinois, Obama and 23 other senators attempted to stage a filibuster to block a confirmation vote on Alito, one of former President George W. Bush’s picks to serve on the bench. The filibuster bid failed and Alito was confirmed.

Conservatives have seized on Obama’s filibuster vote to accuse him of hypocrisy for criticizing Republicans for saying the next president, and not Obama, should nominate Scalia’s successor.

But Earnest said the GOP is going further than Obama did in pledging to not consider any nominee the president puts forward. 

“These are two different things,” the spokesman said.

He argued that the Democrats’ 2006 filibuster of Alito was symbolic because he had the votes to be confirmed.

And he said Obama’s decision to filibuster was “based on substance” whereas the GOP’s blanket opposition to any Obama nominee is purely political. The president has yet to choose a nominee to replace Scalia.

Earnest went further than Obama did during a press conference when he was asked about his choice to join the filibuster effort against Alito.

“I think what’s fair to say is that how judicial nominations have evolved over time is not historically the fault of any single party,” Obama said Tuesday. “This has become just one more extension of politics.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/269719-white-house-obama-regrets-his-filibuster-of-supreme-court-nominee

iwantmass

• Getbig III
Well, this thread certainly ruined the "mcconnell is the devil" thread.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

not really

there is no precedent of Majority Leader in the Senate to come out and say that the Supreme Court seat should remain vacant for 11 months and even more insulting (to anyone with a brain) to state his reasoning is that "the American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice"

Basically he, as an individual person, has decided to ignore the voice of 60 million + voters who gave Obama a second term.

McConnell gets my vote at the first politician who I believe is truly Anti-American

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

lol.  Yep.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Will probably be busy reading his daily intelligence reports. 

Obama to skip Scalia funeral, will pay respects Friday at court
By Jordan Fabian
02/17/16

President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama will travel to the Supreme Court Friday to pay their respects to the late Justice Antonin Scalia, but they will not attend his funeral Saturday. 

Scalia’s body will lie in repose in the Great Hall of the court Friday, and the building will be open to the public to allow visitors to honor the justice, who died last Saturday at 79. 

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said the Obamas will not attend Scalia’s Saturday funeral at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. Vice President Biden and his wife, Jill, will be present instead. 
Earnest would not say whether anything was on the president's schedule that prevented him from going to the funeral.

Scalia’s death set off an immediate partisan battle over whether Obama should appoint a successor during his final year in office, overshadowing public mourning of the conservative jurist.

"It’s important, before we rush into the all the politics of this, to take stock of somebody who made enormous contributions to the United States," Obama said at a press conference Tuesday in California. "And we are grateful not only for his service but for his family’s service."

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/269712-obamas-to-pay-respects-to-scalia-friday-at-court

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Obama to Skip Scalia Funeral
Posted on February 17, 2016
by Keith Koffler

What a disgrace. The funeral is Saturday. We wrote over in LifeZette that no president has skipped the funeral of a sitting Supreme Court Justice in 60 years.

So, it’s going to be 63 degrees and sunny on Saturday in Washington. Now what do you think Obama will be doing? Gosh, I hope not.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest had no explanation. Vice President Biden will attend instead, missing his weekend of golf in Delaware.

Sucks to be the VP.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2016/02/17/obama-skip-scalia-funeral/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Who attended Justice White's funeral in 2002?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_White

Oh, neither Bush nor Cheney?    I looked for the thread where Dos Equis bitched about Bush/Cheney both skipping this funeral in 2002 but didn't see it.

Can you link us to it?   Thank bro.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Oh, neither Bush nor Cheney?    I looked for the thread where Dos Equis bitched about Bush/Cheney both skipping this funeral in 2002 but didn't see it.

Can you link us to it?   Thank bro.

What I'd like is a link to one day in the past ten years when you were not hanging from some liberal's short and curlies, repeatedly trying to deflect attention away from anything negative that impacts President Obama or any other liberal.

Can you link us?  Thank you. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
What I'd like is a link to one day in the past ten years when you were not hanging from some liberal's short and curlies, repeatedly trying to deflect attention away from anything negative that impacts President Obama or any other liberal.

Can you link us?  Thank you. 

Oh.   I completely bukkake your post, so you attack me.   Attack the messenger not the message.

I'd tell an active moderator, but from what I hear, they're all RINOs that love amnesty, so I don't really think i'll do that route ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Oh.   I completely bukkake your post, so you attack me.   Attack the messenger not the message.

I'd tell an active moderator, but from what I hear, they're all RINOs that love amnesty, so I don't really think i'll do that route ;)

You are clearly not the sharpest pencil in the box. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
LOL - Bum getting his ass handed to him again

iwantmass

• Getbig III

Oh, neither Bush nor Cheney?    I looked for the thread where Dos Equis bitched about Bush/Cheney both skipping this funeral in 2002 but didn't see it.

Can you link us to it?   Thank bro.

He retired in 1993.  It's a completely different situatuon, not to mention that Bush wasn't even in office when he served.....

Its right there in your link.  So, why don't we go ahead and talk about how many active supreme court justice funerals were missed

I don't give a shit if he attends the funeral or not.  But you have to admit that it looks pretty bad that on the same day he informs the press he isn't going to attend the funeral, we find out he plans to meet with black lives matter organizers tomorrow.  If that isn't bad enough, his press secretary wouldn't even deny that he may be playing golf saturday

But we are talking about the president that let a person, that bathed in a bath tub full of cereal and makes a complete ass of herself on the internet, interview him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Obama's Shameful Refusal to Attend Scalia's Funeral
By Charles Lipson
February 18, 2016

President Obama's decision not to attend Justice Antonin Scalia's funeral is shameful. It mirrors his decision to skip the state funeral for Margaret Thatcher in 2013. On these somber, formal occasions, the president is called upon to represent our country as the head of state. He is not representing his party, his political agenda, or himself personally. He is representing our country—or at least he should be. On Saturday, it is his duty to mourn a man who sat on the Supreme Court for decades. He is shirking that duty.

The president is rarely asked to serve as head of state. Most of the time, he serves in explicitly political positions, heading the executive branch and his party. He plays that political role when he sends a bill to Congress, issues an executive order, or campaigns for an embattled senator. Wearing that hat, he can be as partisan as he wishes (or thinks prudent). That’s perfectly fine.

But on those rare occasions when called upon to act as our nation's head of state, he must quash those partisan instincts. At such times, he speaks for us all.

One of President Reagan’s finest moments came in this regard, speaking at the funeral for the crew killed on the space shuttle Challenger. His opening words: “We come together today to mourn the loss of seven brave Americans, to share the grief we all feel and, perhaps in that sharing, to find the strength to bear our sorrow and the courage to look for the seeds of hope.” His opening words are the key to a head-of-state role: “We come together today . . . “

Three days earlier, just after the tragedy, Reagan spoke to the nation. His words still echo. “The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ‘slipped the surly bonds of earth’ to ‘touch the face of God.’”

President Obama need not reach these rhetorical heights. But he ought to behave with quiet dignity and represent our nation at Scalia’s funeral. He does not have to pretend he agreed with Scalia’s decisions. He does not have to praise the justice’s judicial philosophy. But he ought to honor the life of a man who spent three decades on the Supreme Court and five years before that on the U.S. appellate bench.

Refusing to attend the funeral does more than insult the memory of a life-long public servant. It is a failure to perform a basic presidential duty. Obama has shirked his responsibility to all of us.

RCP contributor Charles Lipson is the Peter B. Ritzma Professor of Political Science and the founder and director of the Program on International Politicis, Economics and Security at the University of Chicago. He can be reached at charles.lipson@gmail.com.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/02/18/obamas_shameful_refusal_to_attend_scalias_funeral_129702.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Jesus Fucking Christ ....how about changing your diapers already and stop all the crying.

I for one am glad that Obama can finally stop all the political ass kissing of Republicans

Scalia oppossed everything that Obama and the Dems did and by all accounts they didn't have any kind of personal relationship

The White House is being represented by Biden and I hope Obama spends the day playing golf and drinking beer

iwantmass

• Getbig III
Jesus Fucking Christ ....how about changing your diapers already and stop all the crying.

I for one am glad that Obama can finally stop all the political ass kissing of Republicans

Scalia oppossed everything that Obama and the Dems did and by all accounts they didn't have any kind of personal relationship

The White House is being represented by Biden and I hope Obama spends the day playing golf and drinking beer

Refresh me as to when he kissed republican ass.  Was it when he said he has a pen and he isn't afraid to use it?

Weren't you the one that started a "fuck mitch McConnell" thread only to find out that Obama voted for the same thing  on 2006?  That thread seemed to be started by an emotional sissy and looked an awful lot like crying.    

You found it deplorable when you thought McConnell's behavior was isolated to republicans, now it's no big deal and you are just fine with the president drinking beer or doing whatever he wants while an active member of the supreme court dies.   One could argue that you are blind to Obama's faults and would support him no matter what.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Refresh me as to when he kissed republican ass.  Was it when he said he has a pen and he isn't afraid to use it?

Weren't you the one that started a "fuck mitch McConnell" thread only to find out that Obama voted for the same thing  on 2006?  That thread seemed to be started by an emotional sissy and looked an awful lot like crying.    

You found it deplorable when you thought McConnell's behavior was isolated to republicans, now it's no big deal and you are just fine with the president drinking beer or doing whatever he wants while an active member of the supreme court dies.   One could argue that you are blind to Obama's faults and would support him no matter what.  

every single time he tried to compromise with Republicans

and yes Fuck Mitch McConnell for dismissing the will of 60 million + voters

If Repubs want to attempt a filibuster that's fine with me

iwantmass

• Getbig III
every single time he tried to compromise with Republicans

and yes Fuck Mitch McConnell for dismissing the will of 60 million + voters

If Repubs want to attempt a filibuster that's fine with me

Wow, your first statement doesn't even leave any room to argue your blind ignorant faith to obama anymore.  Compromise isn't saying "you better do this" or i'll push it through.  That's a bully tactic.

I think obama should get to choose whomever he wants. That being said, some would argue that many are tired of obama, and awaiting change via an election and no longer happy with his policy, presidency, etc.  If that is the case, then an argument could be made to await the new president.  I certainly don't agree with that.  I think he should get to pick whomever he wants, even if i'm likely not to care for them personally. 

You are only saying you are okay with filibuster now that you know obama was involved in it, and it lessens your argument against republicans current course of action.  It gives you some wiggle room to look like less of an ass, given how passionate you were against mcconnell.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Wow, your first statement doesn't even leave any room to argue your blind ignorant faith to obama anymore.  Compromise isn't saying "you better do this" or i'll push it through.  That's a bully tactic.

I think obama should get to choose whomever he wants. That being said, some would argue that many are tired of obama, and awaiting change via an election and no longer happy with his policy, presidency, etc.  If that is the case, then an argument could be made to await the new president.  I certainly don't agree with that.  I think he should get to pick whomever he wants, even if i'm likely not to care for them personally.  

You are only saying you are okay with filibuster now that you know obama was involved in it, and it lessens your argument against republicans current course of action.  It gives you some wiggle room to look like less of an ass, given how passionate you were against mcconnell.

like virtually every republican for the last 7 years?

people die

Scalia was a person

The White House will be represented

Obama won two elections and is in his last year and doesn't have to kiss ass

read my earlier posts if you need more information

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
No Respect(s): Obama to Skip Scalia Funeral
President makes nearly unheard of decision to miss funeral of sitting justice
by Ashley Pratte

“We are fools for Christ and we must pray for the courage to ignore the scorn of the sophisticated world.” — the late Antonin Scalia, in 2012

As the nation continues to mourn the loss of Justice Antonin Scalia, the White House said President Obama will not attend the justice’s funeral this Saturday, though it was not clear why. This will be the first time in over 60 years that a president will miss the funeral of a sitting Supreme Court justice.

According to White House press secretary Josh Earnest, Vice President Joe Biden will attend the service on behalf of the White House.

The president’s decision not to attend the service is seen by some as a snub to the conservative Supreme Court giant, who earned the scorn of many liberals.

At the White House daily briefing Wednesday, Earnest would not confirm if there was anything on the president's schedule that would prevent him from attending. When pressed further on Obama's schedule and whether or not he would be golfing on Saturday, Earnest deflected. "I don’t have a sense of what the president’s plans are for Saturday," he said.

Golfing, a favorite weekend activity of the president, is therefore not officially off the table — especially with a beautiful, sunny, 62-degree day expected in the Washington, D.C. area on Saturday.

Obama, along with the first lady, plans to pay respects in the Great Hall of the Supreme Court, where Justice Scalia’s body will lie in repose on Friday.

Funerals Obama Should Have Attended, but Didn't
Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
'American Sniper' Chris Kyle
Journalist James Foley
Slain NYPD officers Liu and Ramos
Major Gen. Harold Greene

This isn’t the first time Obama hasn’t shown leadership or respect for the office he holds. In August 2014, Major General Harold Greene passed away and was the first U.S. general to die in combat since the Vietnam War. During the funeral service, Obama was golfing in Martha’s Vineyard while on vacation. Then, in September 2014, when journalist James Foley was beheaded by ISIS, the president took a quick break from his vacation to publicly address the brutal act, but hit the golf links immediately after.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist was the last sitting Supreme Court justice to pass away, in 2005. President George W. Bush attended the funeral and even delivered the eulogy at the service.

When Justice Robert H. Jackson died in 1954 while still serving on the Supreme Court, Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was president at the time, was unable to attend the services. But he sent a four-foot wreath of white carnations in the shape of the cross.

The White House had very few details on the extent of the executive branch's involvement in the funeral proceedings. It could not say whether the vice president would give a eulogy.

The Associated Press reported the funeral for Justice Scalia will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/no-respects-obama-to-skip-scalia-funeral/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Hillary has no regrets about trying to filibuster Alito, Roberts

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said she didn’t believe in the philosophy of Samuel A. Alito Jr. or John G. Roberts Jr. while she was serving in the Senate. (Associated Press) more >
By Kelly Riddell - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 18, 2016

Hillary Clinton said she has no guilt for trying to filibuster Supreme Court Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.’s nomination while she served in the Senate, nor for voting against Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.’s nomination.

She said her actions weren’t partisan and are no excuse for Senate Republicans to delay the process of filling the court vacancy after the death of conservative Justice Antonin Scalia.

“I did oppose Justice Alito and, as you say, Chief Justice Roberts because after meeting with them, listening to them, I did not believe that their judicial philosophy and approach was one that would be the best for the country,” Mrs. Clinton said to Chuck Todd, who moderated MSNBC’s Democratic town hall event Thursday.

“So I spoke against him, I voted against him, but we had a process,” Mrs. Clinton said. “The nomination was made, and we went through the process. What the Republicans today are saying is you can’t vote on anything. We don’t want the president to send us a nominee. I think that is very different.

“What I am saying is, No. 1, the president has the right and the obligation under the Constitution to send forth a nominee, and the Senate has an obligation under the Constitution to decide whether to approve or not,” Mrs. Clinton said.

When Mr. Todd challenged Mrs. Clinton saying if her filibuster of Justice Alito was successful, his nomination would never had come to a vote, Mrs. Clinton blamed Senate procedure.

“That’s the way the Senate operates,” Mrs. Clinton replied. “You get to have a vote, you get to use the rules — Harry Reid’s sitting here — he’s a master of the rules — you get to use the rules that happens a lot.”

On Wednesday, President Obama, who also moved to filibuster Justice Alito’s nomination, expressed regret for the action.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Mr. Obama’s decision to filibuster was a “symbolic vote” based on objections to Mr. Alito’s rulings as a lower-court judge.

“What the president rejects is that Senate Democrats didn’t focus more on making an effective public case about those substantive objections,” Mr. Earnest said. “Instead, some Democrats engaged in a process of throwing sand in the gears of the confirmation process. And that’s an approach that the president regrets.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/18/hillary-clinton-has-no-regrets-about-trying-filibu/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I stand by my words...

http://www.glennbeck.com/2016/02/18/obama-first-sitting-president-in-history-to-miss-funeral-of-supreme-court-justice/

Obama First Sitting President in History to Miss Funeral of Supreme Court Justice
By Lori Updated
02/18/2016

Megyn Kelly stated Thursday evening on The Kelly File that she can find no instance in history where a sitting president of the United States has failed to attend the funeral of a sitting Supreme Court Justice. It’s an unprecedented move on the part of Obama, who once again fails to uphold his duty as president, represent the country and set an example for the American people.

In lieu of attending the funeral on Saturday, President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama will visit the Supreme Court Friday to pay their respects as Justice Antonin Scalia lies in repose. Of note, there is nothing on the president’s calendar that would prevent him from attending or conflict with the funeral.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Wednesday that Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill Biden will attend the funeral at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. According to Earnest, the vice president’s “security footprint is a little bit lighter,” and he has a longtime relationship with Scalia’s family.

But many have slammed Obama for not attending the funeral of the longtime conservative justice, interpreting it as a sign of disrespect.

“If we want to reduce partisanship, we can start by honoring great public servants who we disagree with,” Obama’s former “car czar” Steven Rattner tweeted with a link to a headline about Obama skipping the funeral.

According to Politico, there’s not substantial historic precedent for presidents attending the funerals of sitting justices. President George W. Bush not only attended, but also eulogized Supreme Court Chief Justice and fellow conservative William Rehnquist in 2005. Prior to that, the last justice to die in office was Robert H. Jackson in 1954.

On Thursday, presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz dubbed Obama “a lawless and faithless president who’s eager to travel to Cuba but unwilling to attend the funeral of Justice Scalia.”

Tim Miller, the communications director for Jeb Bush, simply tweeted “Same.” in response to a message from MSNBC host Chris Hayes, who said, “Some amazing advice my mom gave me once: ‘If you’re wondering whether you should go to the funeral, you should go to the funeral.”

http://www.glennbeck.com/2016/02/18/obama-first-sitting-president-in-history-to-miss-funeral-of-supreme-court-justice/?utm_source=glennbeck&utm_medium=contentcopy_link