Author Topic: Another shooting...  (Read 6631 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Another shooting...
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2016, 05:05:26 PM »
http://abc13.com/news/homeowner-in-underwear-holds-intruder-at-gunpoint/1352186/

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A homeowner in the Rice Military area held a man at gunpoint just after midnight Monday after he caught the man going through his mail.

27-year-old Robert Shane Teague was arrested for trespassing. Homeowner Jet George held Teague at gunpoint for several minutes until police arrived.

"When we heard the doorbell ring, we didn't know what it was," George said, "Just thought it was a dead battery in the wireless doorbell."

Teague appears to have bumped into the doorbell on the gate while trying to get inside.

"Then I heard something hitting the garage," George said.

Teague hit the garage with his fists, and then he opened the mailbox next to the garage and rifled through George's mail.

George then ran outside wearing only his underwear and held Teague at gunpoint. Home security cameras captured the incident on video:

"Freeze right there, get on the ground," George said in the video.

Teague carried a beer bottle in his hand throughout the incident.

"His eyes wouldn't dilate," George said, "He was on drugs. He thought he was an alien, that's what he told police."

George was concerned Teague would try to steal something from his home.

"My reaction was to come out here and make sure nothing else was going to happen, to make sure," George said, "You're not gonna do any type of theft from me after you've already been in my mailbox."

Teague has two previous convictions on drug charges.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2016, 04:15:34 AM »
Orlando Nightclub Shooting Kills 50; Gunman Had Praised ISIS
By LIZETTE ALVAREZ and RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA

ORLANDO, Fla. — A man who called 911 to proclaim allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group, and who had been investigated in the past for possible terrorist ties, stormed a gay nightclub here Sunday morning, wielding an assault rifle and a pistol, and carried out the worst mass shooting in United States history, leaving 50 people dead and 53 wounded.

The attacker, identified by law enforcement officials as Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old who was born in New York, turned what had been a celebratory night of dancing to salsa and merengue music at the crowded Pulse nightclub into a panicked scene of unimaginable slaughter, the floors slicked with blood, the dead and the injured piled atop one another. Terrified people poured onto the darkened streets of the surrounding neighborhood, some carried wounded victims to safety, and police vehicles were pressed into service as makeshift ambulances to rush people to hospitals.

Joel Figueroa and his friends “were dancing by the hip-hop area when I heard shots, bam, bam, bam,” he said, adding, “Everybody was screaming and running toward the front door.”

Pulse, which calls itself “Orlando’s Latin Hotspot,” was holding its weekly “Upscale Latin Saturdays” party. The shooting began around 2 a.m., and some patrons thought at first that the booming reports they heard were firecrackers or part of the loud, thumping dance music.

Some people who were trapped inside hid where they could, calling 911 or posting messages to social media, pleading for help. The club posted a stark message on its Facebook page: “Everyone get out of pulse and keep running.”

Hundreds of people gathered in the glare of flashing red lights on the fringes of the law enforcement cordon around the nightclub, and later at area hospitals, hoping desperately for some word on the fates of their relatives and friends.

More than 12 hours after the attack, anguished relatives paced between Orlando Regional Medical Center and a nearby hotel as they waited for word. They were told that so many were gunned down that victims would be tagged as anonymous until the hospital was able to identify them.

“We are here suffering, knowing nothing,” said Baron Serrano, whose brother, Juan Rivera, 36, had been celebrating a friend’s birthday with his husband and was now unaccounted for. “I cannot understand why they can’t tell me anything because my brother is a very well-known person here in Orlando. He is a hairstylist, and everybody knows him.”

A tally of victims whose relatives had been notified began slowly building on a city website; by 3:30 a.m. on Monday, it had 18 names. Among them was Juan Ramon Guerrero, a 22-year-old man of Dominican descent who had gone to the club with his boyfriend, Christopher Leinonen, who goes by the name Drew, because they wanted to listen to salsa. A friend, Brandon Wolf, watched people carry Mr. Guerrero outside, his body riddled with gunshot wounds.

But no one knew what had become of Mr. Leinonen. His mother, Christine, anxious because of health problems, had woken at 3 a.m. to news of the shooting, and learned from Mr. Wolf that her son had been inside.

A three-hour standoff followed the initial assault, with people inside effectively held hostage until around 5 a.m., when law enforcement officials led by a SWAT team raided the club, using an armored vehicle and explosives designed to disorient and distract. Over a dozen police officers and sheriff’s deputies engaged in a shootout with Mr. Mateen, leaving him dead and an officer wounded, his life saved by a Kevlar helmet that deflected a bullet.

At least 30 people inside were rescued, and even the hardened police veterans who took the building and combed through it, aiding the living and identifying the dead, were shaken by what they saw, said John Mina, the Orlando police chief. “Just to look into the eyes of our officers told the whole story,” he said.

It was the worst act of terrorism on American soil since Sept. 11, 2001, and the deadliest attack on a gay target in the nation’s history, though officials said it was not clear whether some victims had been accidentally shot by law enforcement officers.

The toll of 50 dead is larger than the number of murders in Orlando over the previous three years. Of an estimated 320 people in the club, nearly one-third were shot. The casualties far exceeded those in the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech, where 32 people were killed, and the 2012 shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., where 26 people died.

“In the face of hate and violence, we will love one another,” President Obama said in a special address from the White House. “We will not give in to fear or turn against each other. Instead, we will stand united as Americans to protect our people and defend our nation, and to take action against those who threaten us.”

As he had done after several previous mass shootings, the president said the shooting demonstrated the need for what he called “common-sense” gun measures.

“This massacre is therefore a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school or a house of worship or a movie theater or a nightclub,” Mr. Obama said. “We have to decide if that’s the kind of country we want to be. To actively do nothing is a decision as well.”

The shooting quickly made its way into the presidential campaign. Donald J. Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, who has accused Mr. Obama of weakness on radical Islam and has called for barring Muslim immigrants, suggested on Twitter that the president should resign.

“Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism,” he wrote. “I don’t want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!”

Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, released a statement saying: “We need to redouble our efforts to defend our country from threats at home and abroad. That means defeating international terror groups, working with allies and partners to go after them wherever they are, countering their attempts to recruit people here and everywhere, and hardening our defenses at home.”

Fears of violence led to heightened security at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender events and gathering places around the country. Law enforcement officials in Santa Monica, Calif., confirmed the arrest on Sunday of a heavily armed man who said he was in the area for West Hollywood’s gay pride parade. The authorities, however, said they did not know of any connection between the California arrest and the Orlando shooting.

The F.B.I. investigated Mr. Mateen in 2013 when he made comments to co-workers suggesting he had terrorist ties, and again the next year, for possible connections to Moner Mohammad Abusalha, an American who became a suicide bomber in Syria, said Ronald Hopper, an assistant agent in charge of the bureau’s Tampa Division. But each time, the F.B.I. found no solid evidence that Mr. Mateen had any real connection to terrorism or had broken any laws. Still, he is believed to be on at least one watch list.

Mr. Mateen, who lived in Fort Pierce, Fla., was able to continue working as a security guard with the security firm G4S, where he had worked since 2007, and he was able to buy guns. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Mr. Mateen had legally bought a long gun and a pistol in the past week or two, though it was not clear whether those were the weapons used in the assault, which officials described as a handgun and an AR-15 type of assault rifle.

A former co-worker, Daniel Gilroy, said Mr. Mateen had talked often about killing people and had voiced hatred of gays, blacks, women and Jews.

Around the time of the massacre, Mr. Mateen called 911 and declared his allegiance to the Islamic State, the brutal group that has taken over parts of Syria, Iraq and Libya, Agent Hopper said. Other law enforcement officials said he called after beginning his assault.

Hours later, the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, claimed responsibility in a statement released over an encrypted phone app used by the group. It stated that the attack “was carried out by an Islamic State fighter,” according to a transcript provided by the SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks jihadist propaganda.

But officials cautioned that even if Mr. Mateen, who court records show was briefly married and then divorced, was inspired by the group, there was no indication that it had trained or instructed him, or had any direct connection with him. Some other terrorist attackers have been “self-radicalized,” including the pair who killed 14 people in December in San Bernardino, Calif., who also proclaimed allegiance to the Islamic State, but apparently had no contact with the group.

The Islamic State has encouraged “lone wolf” attacks in the West, a point reinforced recently by a group spokesman, Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, in his annual speech just before the holy month of Ramadan. In past years, the Islamic State and Al Qaeda ramped up attacks during Ramadan.

American Muslim groups condemned the shooting. “The Muslim community joins our fellow Americans in repudiating anyone or any group that would claim to justify or excuse such an appalling act of violence,” said Rasha Mubarak, the Orlando regional coordinator of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
I'm in favor of letting AIDS run its course, but at the same time this ain't exactly 9/11, where decent people died.
K

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »
I'm in favor of letting AIDS run its course, but at the same time this ain't exactly 9/11, where decent people died.

Shitty trolling, it's sad that getbig has come to this

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »

its always people with low post counts who say stuff like this on here

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »
Clermont Co. gun shop owner killed in accidental shooting
by Patrick Brennan and Cameron Knight

The owner of a Monroe Township gun shop was fatally shot Saturday afternoon when a student in a concealed carry permit class accidentally discharged a weapon, the Clermont County Sheriff's Office said.

James Baker, 64, was shot in the neck and pronounced dead just before 1 p.m. at his KayJay Gun Shop at 3023 Lindale-Mt. Holly Road, the sheriff's office said in a news release. He was struck by a bullet that was fired by a class participant while practicing weapon malfunction drills.

The sheriff's office reported about 10 people were taking the class in a room adjacent to where Baker was sitting.

The student who discharged the handgun has not been identified.

In the hours following the fatal incident, nearly a dozen people gathered in gravel lot in front of the business sharing hugs and tears.

Anita Fritz said she'd known Baker since 1999. She was holding a yard sale in the front yard of her father's home across the street of the gun shop when police and an ambulance arrived.

Fritz described Baker as the best neighbor you could ever have.

"He was a friend to everybody," she said. "If it snowed, he'd get everybody's driveway."

When Fritz's father recently passed away, she said Baker offered to do anything she needed. She said the same ambulance that had come for her father returned to try to save Baker.

She recalled that Baker worked in law enforcement in the 1970s and was a friend to local police and deputies.

"Cops were always coming in and out, and he told me, 'Don't worry, I'm not in trouble,'" she said. "They came and looked at his guns, get their guns fixed and cleaned and get their ammo."

KayJay Gun Shop could not be reached for comment.

An American flag flew outside the brown pole building occupied by the business. A white sign attached to a fence advertised the business to those traveling the two-lane road in rural Clermont County less than two miles southwest of East Fork State Park.

KayJay Gun Shop's website advertises concealed carry permit classes along with tactical rifle and defensive pistol classes. During this summer, concealed carry permit classes were scheduled to take place once a month.

The business holds a Type 07 and Type 06 federal firearms license allowing it to manufacture both firearms and ammunition. It also holds a Class 72 Special Occupation Taxpayer license, which is needed to manufacture firearms regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 that placed tighter restrictions on fully-automatic weapons and other categories of firearms.

The Clermont County Sheriff's Office is continuing to investigate the shooting.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 03:15:16 PM »

The owner of a Monroe Township gun shop was fatally shot Saturday afternoon when a student in a concealed carry permit class accidentally discharged a weapon, the Clermont County Sheriff's Office said.

James Baker, 64, was shot in the neck and pronounced dead just before 1 p.m. at his KayJay Gun Shop at 3023 Lindale-Mt. Holly Road, the sheriff's office said in a news release. He was struck by a bullet that was fired by a class participant while practicing weapon malfunction drills.

The sheriff's office reported about 10 people were taking the class in a room adjacent to where Baker was sitting.

In the hours following the fatal incident, nearly a dozen people gathered in gravel lot in front of the business sharing hugs and tears.

Anita Fritz said she'd known Baker since 1999. She was holding a yard sale in the front yard of her father's home across the street of the gun shop when police and an ambulance arrived.

"He was a friend to everybody," she said. "If it snowed, he'd get everybody's driveway."

When Fritz's father recently passed away, she said Baker offered to do anything she needed. She said the same ambulance that had come for her father returned to try to save Baker.

She recalled that Baker worked in law enforcement in the 1970s and was a friend to local police and deputies.

"Cops were always coming in and out, and he told me, 'Don't worry, I'm not in trouble,'" she said. "They came and looked at his guns, get their guns fixed and cleaned and get their ammo."

An American flag flew outside the brown pole building occupied by the business. A white sign attached to a fence advertised the business to those traveling the two-lane road in rural Clermont County less than two miles southwest of East Fork State Park.

KayJay Gun Shop's website advertises concealed carry permit classes along with tactical rifle and defensive pistol classes. During this summer, concealed carry permit classes were scheduled to take place once a month.

The business holds a Type 07 and Type 06 federal firearms license allowing it to manufacture both firearms and ammunition. It also holds a Class 72 Special Occupation Taxpayer license, which is needed to manufacture firearms regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 that placed tighter restrictions on fully-automatic weapons and other categories of firearms.

sad, of course...

but keep your fooking hands off my guns, qu33r bait
K

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 05:44:15 AM »
Funny - you never post about inner city violence shooting like the 11 dead in Chicago this weekend. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 07:19:41 AM »
Funny - you never post about inner city violence shooting like the 11 dead in Chicago this weekend. 

another reason for gun control....and I consider these thugs to be terrorists as well...its just that they usually kill people one or two at a time..by the end of he year it basically amounts to the same amount of peole as the Orlando shooting

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
another reason for gun control....and I consider these thugs to be terrorists as well...its just that they usually kill people one or two at a time..by the end of he year it basically amounts to the same amount of peole as the Orlando shooting

End of the year?   More like end of the welfare line.   

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2016, 07:28:19 AM »
Father accidentally shoots teenage son at Florida gun range
The Associated Press

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 14-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed by his father at a Florida gun range.

William Brumby was firing his weapon at the High Noon Gun Range in Sarasota on Sunday when a spent shell casing deflected off a nearby wall and landed inside the back of his shirt.

A statement from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says Brumby tried to remove the shell with his right hand, which was holding the gun and accidentally fired the gun at his son, who was standing directly behind him.

Stephen J. Brumby, later died at a hospital. The father’s two other children were with him but were not injured.

Police say they are continuing their investigation after reviewing a video of the shooting and talking to witnesses. No charges have been filed against Brumby.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2016, 07:30:49 AM »
The Associated Press

SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a 14-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed by his father at a Florida gun range.

William Brumby was firing his weapon at the High Noon Gun Range in Sarasota on Sunday when a spent shell casing deflected off a nearby wall and landed inside the back of his shirt.

A statement from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says Brumby tried to remove the shell with his right hand, which was holding the gun and accidentally fired the gun at his son, who was standing directly behind him.

Stephen J. Brumby, later died at a hospital. The father’s two other children were with him but were not injured.

Police say they are continuing their investigation after reviewing a video of the shooting and talking to witnesses. No charges have been filed against Brumby.

Why not post on the DOZENS of dead thugs and criminal ghetto trash in Chicago this past weekend vs one white kid?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
The Associated Press

Black Lives Dont Matter

http://bb4sp.com/32-killed-chicago-july-4th-weekend

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2016, 02:26:53 PM »
Why not post on the DOZENS of dead thugs and criminal ghetto trash in Chicago this past weekend vs one white kid?

Doesn't fit "his" narrative.
K

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »
Doesn't fit "his" narrative.

No kidding - bunch of little pussies melting down when a white kid dies but silent when DOZENS of blacks die

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2016, 08:04:14 AM »
Micah Johnson, Gunman in Dallas, Honed Military Skills to a Deadly Conclusion
By RICHARD FAUSSET, MANNY FERNANDEZ and ALAN BLINDER

GARLAND, Tex. — There was a time when he was known as a well-mannered young man — a regular at his church and a pleasant presence on a tree-lined, suburban, multicultural street in a neighborhood called Camelot. He grew up to serve his country in Afghanistan.

But on Thursday night, 25-year-old Micah Johnson, an African-American, drove his car to a rally against police violence and began killing officers in downtown Dallas, hoping to single out the white ones. In the process, he also managed to bring his war back home, killing at least one fellow military veteran and heightening fears that the nation he had been deployed to protect overseas was now failing to address its growing racial divide at home.

The Dallas police remained on edge Saturday. In the late afternoon, officers drew their weapons and cleared an area near the back of their headquarters after a report of a suspicious person in a department parking garage. The agency later said that no one had been found.

In the past several days, as demonstrators jammed the streets in a number of American cities, protesting police violence, new details emerged about Mr. Johnson’s life. They revealed a young man who had returned in disgrace from his stint abroad in the Army Reserve, but then continued a training regimen of his own devising, conducting military-style exercises in his backyard and reportedly joining a gym that offered martial arts and weapons classes.

A Dallas County official also revealed Saturday that Mr. Johnson — who killed five officers and wounded seven others, as well as two civilians, before the police killed him with a robot-delivered explosive device — had kept an extensive journal and described a method of attack in which a gunman fired on a target and then quickly moved to another location to confuse an enemy.

Although it did not seem to be a precise plan for Mr. Johnson’s ambush, it was strikingly similar to the tactics he used.

“It’s talking not only about how to kill but how to keep from being killed,” said Clay Jenkins, Dallas County’s chief executive and director of homeland security and emergency management, who said he had not read the original journal but had reviewed summaries of it. “It shows that he’s well prepared.”

Mr. Johnson showed an affinity for radical black-power organizations on his Facebook page. Organizers of the Black Lives Matter network and others have denounced Mr. Johnson’s shooting spree. In a news conference on Saturday in Warsaw, President Obama said it was “very hard to untangle the motives” behind the shooting.

“As we’ve seen in a whole range of incidents with mass shooters, they are, by definition, troubled,” Mr. Obama said. “By definition, if you shoot people who pose no threat to you — strangers — you have a troubled mind. What triggers that, what feeds it, what sets it off, I’ll leave that to psychologists and people who study these kinds of incidents.”

On Saturday, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said in a statement that Mr. Obama had called him to offer condolences. Mr. Abbott said he had thanked the president and reiterated the need for Americans to unite after the shooting.

Tensions remained high, however. In San Antonio, the police were investigating reports late Saturday that gunshots had been fired at their department’s headquarters, Chief William McManus said at a briefing.

Officers said that they heard gunshots hitting the building just before 10 p.m. and that “a number of shell casings” were recovered, Chief McManus said. There were no injuries.

Mr. Johnson spent some of his childhood at the home of his father and stepmother in Garland, about a half-hour drive north of downtown Dallas. Their neighborhood, Camelot, is a collection of one- and two-story ranch-style houses of late-20th-century vintage, and their house is set in the middle of a tree-lined block, where a number of neighboring homes this weekend still displayed American flags from the Fourth of July weekend. The neighbors walking by or working on their lawns were black, white, Hispanic and Asian.

Courtney Williams, 37, an electrician who lives in Forney, just east of Dallas, said he had known Mr. Johnson during his teenage days, when Mr. Johnson would stay with his mother in the Pleasant Grove area of Dallas. The two young men attended the same church, and Mr. Williams recalled Mr. Johnson as a “well-mannered” youth who was active in church events and the typical pursuits of a teenager.

“Video games, the whole nine yards,” he said. Mr. Johnson showed no interest in weapons, Mr. Williams said.

“He was just a quiet kid,” Mr. Williams said. “No attitude, no trouble with school. Just a normal kid.”

Mr. Williams lost touch with Mr. Johnson after the younger man graduated from John Horn High School in Mesquite, Tex., where he had shown some interest in the military, going so far as to participate in the school’s Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps program. He was not, it seemed on Saturday, a standout: Horn’s former J.R.O.T.C. instructor said he had little recollection of Mr. Johnson.

He enlisted in the Army Reserve in 2009 and was assigned to a unit — a component of the 420th Engineer Brigade — near Dallas. More than four years later, the unit deployed to Afghanistan. But before the soldiers left for the Afghan theater, they stood in formation not far from the streets where Mr. Johnson would someday stage a siege.

An officer urged them to take care of their families and cultivate their faith. He also emphasized the importance of adapting on the fly.

“Continue to build the flexibility to adjust to changing and unforeseen situations faster than the enemy can adapt,” the officer said, according to a video of the ceremony. “This is how we will succeed.”

But Mr. Johnson did not succeed. While overseas, a female soldier in Mr. Johnson’s unit accused him of sexual harassment. When the Army considered kicking him out, he waived his right to a hearing in exchange for a lesser charge.

Soon he was back in Texas, living with his mother. Ron Price, 49, a former president of the Dallas school board, lives in Mesquite, about four blocks away. He used to see Mr. Johnson in the neighborhood and exchange hellos. He said he had noticed nothing really remarkable about him.

“He was just another guy at the gas station,” he said.

But Mr. Jenkins said a neighbor had seen Mr. Johnson doing militarylike exercises in his backyard in Mesquite in the last couple of weeks.

Mr. Johnson’s preparations seemingly extended to visits to a “self-defense and personal protection” gym in the Dallas area.

The gym’s owner, Justin Everman, told The Daily Beast that it counted many police officers among its members, and he sought to distance himself and his business from Mr. Johnson.

“It’s disgusting, what he did,” Mr. Everman told The Daily Beast. “I’m disgusted.”

In addition to reading summaries of the journal, Mr. Jenkins said he had heard descriptions of its contents from other officials.

Some of it was given over to very specific combat and sniper tactics, including details, Mr. Jenkins said, of “what we call ‘shoot and move’ tactics — ways to fire on a target and then move quickly and get into position at another location to inflict more damage on targets without them being able to ascertain where the shots are coming from.” This tactic is used by the military’s special forces.

“When you couple ‘shoot and move’ and other tactics in his writings, his practice in the yard, his interest in weaponry, it seems to me that this was a well-prepared individual,” Mr. Jenkins said.

He added, “It appeared that he was an excellent marksman and was calmly shooting, as opposed to someone who’s just holding a gun up and aiming it and pulling the trigger in the direction of where they think people are.”

Mr. Jenkins said Mr. Johnson had used a semiautomatic SKS rifle and a high-capacity handgun. He drove his vehicle to the demonstration and parked it, Mr. Jenkins said, but was on foot at many points throughout the attack.

Mr. Johnson’s knowledge of “shoot and move” — and the fact that a few of the protesters in the crowd who were not involved in the shooting were armed and carrying rifles — has helped shed light on how a theory of multiple assailants emerged.

In Texas, gun owners can legally and openly carry what are known as long guns, including shotguns and rifles. The carrying of handguns is regulated in Texas and requires a state-issued permit, whether concealed or openly carried, but the carrying of rifles is largely unregulated and requires no permit. The so-called open carrying of rifles has become common at many demonstrations in Texas in recent years.

“When the shooting first happened, you had people in the crowd who were carrying long rifles and dressed in camouflage,” Mr. Jenkins said. “And then the shooting happens, and those people begin to disperse and move quickly, and they have guns and they’re not police officers and there’s a shooting, and so one of the things that people would investigate quickly is did they have anything to do with whatever is happening.”

Mr. Jenkins said that Mr. Johnson did not appear to have advance knowledge of the march route. Parts of the route were determined on the spot without planning, Mr. Jenkins said.

Throughout a sweltering Saturday, a section of downtown Dallas remained a closed-off crime scene as investigators faced a second day of piecing together the details of the attack, an inquiry that had included more than 200 interviews. More than 20 square blocks remained cordoned off.

Two squad cars outside Police Headquarters have become memorials, covered in flowers, balloons, posters and handwritten notes. On Friday evening, before the officers went on heightened alert, person after person slowly and quietly approached the cars to add tributes. A Dallas police sergeant wiped her eyes, and a handful of people gathered in a circle to pray.

Similar moments played out on Saturday. “I miss you already Brother, but you are home with the angels now,” said a note about Officer Brent Thompson. The authors wrote, “You were, are, and always will be our hero.”

As Mayor Mike Rawlings visited Police Headquarters on Saturday, he told reporters: “We’re all human here, and I think that people feel each other’s pain. And that’s what makes it great, that’s what makes you hopeful that we can do this, that we can move from senselessness, absurdity that’s like a Camus novel, to something that has redemption and hope in it. And that’s ultimately what we need to do.”

He stopped to speak with a woman kneeling by one police car and told her, “Pray hard, sister.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
Bump

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2016, 04:57:00 AM »
5 Dead in Shooting at Mall in Washington State, Police Say
By CHRISTOPHER MELE

A shooting at a mall north of Seattle on Friday night left five people dead and the police searching for the gunman, the Washington State Patrol said.

The gunman killed four women in the cosmetics department of a Macy’s store at the shopping center, the Cascade Mall in Burlington, Wash., said a spokesman for the patrol, Sgt. Mark Francis. Another victim, a man who was critically wounded, was brought to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, and Sergeant Francis said Saturday morning on Twitter that the man had died.

The gunman, who was believed to have been armed with a rifle, left before the police arrived, and the mall was evacuated after the 7:45 p.m. shooting, Sergeant Francis said. He described the suspect as a Hispanic man wearing gray.

The authorities believe there was only one gunman, but it was unclear whether he had help, Sergeant Francis said at about midnight in a briefing outside the mall. He said the gunman had last been seen walking toward Interstate 5.

The F.B.I. said early Saturday that it had “no information to suggest that additional attacks” were planned in Washington State, and that it was coordinating intelligence efforts with the local authorities.

After the shooting, the police converged on the mall and were making a store-by-store sweep 440,000-square-foot mall, looking for survivors, some of whom had locked themselves in dressing rooms and other areas, too frightened to come out, KIRO, a television station in Seattle, reported.

“It becomes more commonplace obviously, these shooting situations in our country, but until you’re one of the ones inside a building like that it is really hard to describe,” Sergeant Francis told reporters.

Eric Mathews, 40, who was meeting his son there, said it was a typical Friday night at the mall in Burlington, about 65 miles north of Seattle. He described it as a “teenage scene kind of thing.” He arrived around 7:45 p.m. when the shooting occurred. Mr. Mathews and his son, Kai, 16, left just before the mall was locked down, he said.

Four of Kai’s friends were stuck inside after the mall was locked down, he said.

Referring to his son, Mr. Mathews said: “Imagine I was late or if he didn’t answer his phone. That stuff is running through my mind.”

Stephanie Bost, an employee at Johnny Carino’s, a restaurant at the mall, said a customer said there had been a shooting about 100 yards away. “We went on lockdown” and shut the doors, she said.

“We saw people being evacuated from the mall and running out to their cars,” she added.

Officials also called off the Burlington-Edison High School football game and evacuated the stadium, which is just north of the mall, the Skagit Valley Herald reported.

Sergeant Francis said survivors inside the mall would be bused to a nearby church.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said on Twitter that it was responding to the scene.