Author Topic: Time-efficient workout  (Read 3885 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Time-efficient workout
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »
Why would you perform 4 squat variations in one workout ???
Reeves did 3.. BB hacks,front squats , Back squats.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
Reeves did 3.. BB hacks,front squats , Back squats.

With all respect to Steve, but it makes no sense to me

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:38:58 AM »
With all respect to Steve, but it makes no sense to me
I know what you are saying but i have used this at Home with a Barbell and it does work. Hard workout.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
I know what you are saying but i have used this at Home with a Barbell and it does work. Hard workout.

The same volume of those 3 with 1 movement gives the same result (contraction = contraction)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
The same volume of those 3 with 1 movement gives the same result (contraction = contraction)
well then the same must be true about flat bench vs Incline and Decline. If you do 9 sets of flat every workout you will develop heavy lower pecs. I guess people do inclines for a reason? so your theory is not 100% correct. Front squats hit lower quads harder as do BB hacks but Hacks hit the Hammies harder. Full Back squats are more upper and Glute/hip dominant.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
Overhead Squats are stupid and useless. So are "pistols".

Stick to machines and bowl cuts. Clueless.

Disco187

• Getbig IV
  • "Fuck Ordinary"
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
I have never warmed up and never will need to.  Never understood that nonsense at all. 

Man your lucky then . I got no choice but to get a lil blood in my shoulders usually just a five pound plate warm the rotator cuff up a bit takes about 2 minutes per side .

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
well then the same must be true about flat bench vs Incline and Decline. If you do 9 sets of flat every workout you will develop heavy lower pecs. I guess people do inclines for a reason? so your theory is not 100% correct. Front squats hit lower quads harder as do BB hacks but Hacks hit the Hammies harder. Full Back squats are more upper and Glute/hip dominant.

There are minor differences between movements when it comes to fiber recruitment (Google for EMG studies), but they will never result in a different shape of a muscle. A muscle can only get stronger & bigger, so there's no such thing as 'training the lower part of a pec', since fiber recruitment isn't that local.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
Don't forget a half gallon of regular milk a day.......not kidding.

Dr Dutch' recommendation : twice a week/ Tbar-row, regular low Deads, DB bench, Military's.

If want a bit more, add Full Squats, Calf work, arm work if you think it will matter (I don't), maybe uprights...

Make a very time efficient workout.

REALLY TIME EFFICIENT: only deads plus Bench. But work HARD.....

So says Dr Dutch

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Why in the hell would you even bother purchasing a gym membership if you are going to be exercising to see how fast you can get out of the gym?

I'm not.  After years (almost decades) of spending too much time in the gym, though, I've come to hate doing more if it's not helping.  All the things that people commonly say are necessary... Well, I no longer want to take any of it for granted.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »
Why would you perform 4 squat variations in one workout ???

This is one of my favorite parts.  I always felt like 'why do 3x4 on 3 unrelated exercises for ”leg day"?  I'd rather just do 12 sets of one exercise.'

And I did enjoy gvt, which is basically just that.  But admittedly i feel there is some benefit to including more variety, if not in terms of hypertrophy, at least in mobility, flexibility, or other ways.

So I came to this approach, which is somewhere in between.  The intensity ramps up from beginning to end, I don't 'reset' like when pyramiding for each exercise -- something I always hated.  In my example, I add weight (almost) every set, as if I were doing a single exercise.  But the variety stresses the muscles in different ways and allows me to challenge myself with both light and heavy weights.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »

After training 31 years, I will say there is some truth that incline puts more stress/development on the upper chest.  

Squatting is a fantastic leg exercise, but it can also give you a big ass if genetically inclined.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
After training 31 years, I will say there is some truth that incline puts more stress/development on the upper chest.  

Squatting is a fantastic leg exercise, but it can also give you a big ass if genetically inclined.

Many powerlifters have better chests than bodybuilders, and >90% of their chest work are flat benches.

You can make a squat more quad dominant by going less deep, but many iron-fundamentalists refuse this.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »
I actualy agree with you, show me a natural who claims they make gains after so many years if training and I'll show you a liar...

I don't think the ceiling for natural gains is that low. If you're talking about the maximum amount of muscle mass one can carry with the minimum amount of bodyfat, then sure, gains are probably negligible after a certain point of training. I don't think that limit applies to guys looking to put on muscle without being contest ready, but still being in shape. I don't think it applies to guys who want to get stronger. I think you can progress in strength fairly regularly until your body starts breaking down. I think you can improve body composition even without drastically changing weight. Just in the last year, I've improved forearms a lot with  a different routine and it's not as a result of adding a significant amount of muscle mass.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »
Many powerlifters have better chests than bodybuilders, and >90% of their chest work are flat benches.

You can make a squat more quad dominant by going less deep, but many iron-fundamentalists refuse this.

I've had many powerlifting buddies through the years... some of them had lack luster chest development, but were still very strong.  70% of their work was centered around flat benching... they also did plenty of inclines.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »
Why wouldn't it be if you have reached a level where you can no longer progress?  Sure you can pick up weights in different ways and even get stronger on some of those things, all without looking any different, so whats the point? (unless you like doing that which I actually do not mind)

The thing is, as long as you are making it difficult enough, whatever you do, its not going to matter once you have been training and doing this for a while.

Its impossible to keep progressing. 

It's slower and gets more difficult with age (especially if natty), but it's not impossible.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »

Great post agree on both points.

For me at least when dropping flat benches chest always flattens out after a while, no other chest excercise comes close.

Worst thing I did was learning to squat ass to grass, outer thigh shrank and ass and inner thighs grew due to widening stance in order to squat deep, currently having to start from scratch learning to squat to paralell with a narrower stance with a lighter weight.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
A 'pull' example.  Did yesterday, felt great:

Power snatch: 10 singles
Full snatch: 20 singles (add weight every 5 reps or once comfortable)
Power clean: 3 triples
Full clean: 3 triples

At this point the exercises start taking less skill, so I start supersetting:

Straight leg deads: 2x10
Pull ups: 2x10

Full deads: 3x6-8
Weighted pullups: 3x3-5

Finished off with 4x6-8 hanging leg raises and a set of curls, just for fun.

Again, the idea is to progress through related exercises, from more skill, lighter to less skill, heavier.  No need to go backwards in weight or readiness because theres no switching  between unrelated exercises.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 11:18:36 PM »
I don't think the ceiling for natural gains is that low. If you're talking about the maximum amount of muscle mass one can carry with the minimum amount of bodyfat, then sure, gains are probably negligible after a certain point of training. I don't think that limit applies to guys looking to put on muscle without being contest ready, but still being in shape. I don't think it applies to guys who want to get stronger. I think you can progress in strength fairly regularly until your body starts breaking down. I think you can improve body composition even without drastically changing weight. Just in the last year, I've improved forearms a lot with  a different routine and it's not as a result of adding a significant amount of muscle mass.

Keep day dreaming, you wil gain next to nothing once you've hit you limit... You can fool your self its gains when you not lean.. This goes for juiced lifters too, they hit a limit that cant passed and need severe abuse to get past

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 11:22:25 PM »
Also.... Anyone that has trained a long period can tell you how missing movements effects your physique, my chest looks less boxy if I cant do inclines